• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Teknoman

After installing and setting up my account, I used my registration code, I know there is a 30 day free trial, but do I still have to enter credit card info/ a time card code to actually gain access?

Emitan

Well im still not 100% yet, but that might sway me.

1U1gr.gif

markatisu

Glad the patch at least made the Fleet playable, still a bit jerky but much improved over the last few weeks.

Can anyone help me, I am working on Taris Bonus Missions as a Trooper and everything was fine up until I got this one where I need to scan the sliding plates (Suicide something)

I got to where the map says and cannot find anything to scan anywhere, tried abandoning the quest and getting it again and still can't find. Its also this way with the one to scan the animals/beasts.

Both give me nothing to scan, wondering now if I should abandon the whole Bonus Mission thing and start over with it

Ken

Glad the patch at least made the Fleet playable, still a bit jerky but much improved over the last few weeks.

Can anyone help me, I am working on Taris Bonus Missions as a Trooper and everything was fine up until I got this one where I need to scan the sliding plates (Suicide something)

I got to where the map says and cannot find anything to scan anywhere, tried abandoning the quest and getting it again and still can't find. Its also this way with the one to scan the animals/beasts.

Both give me nothing to scan, wondering now if I should abandon the whole Bonus Mission thing and start over with it

Did you use the scanner in your mission items while standing within the objective radius?

i challenge anyone who thinks Operative is OP to actually make one and play it. PvP along the way to 50 and report back how powerful you felt and how the class played along the way. When you report back disagreeing with me, I'll tell you that your full of shit or fake. Do it anyway because the story is awesome.

Fixed for accuracy.

On the topic of Sorcerors, the two main things I'd like to see is a reduction to the shield, and make force speed drop the ball in Huttball. The last one some might disagree with, but for me I almost feel like you have to put the ball in a sorc's hands if ones near you, the speed allows them to leap through flames with minimal damage ffs. All in all they're just really good at Huttball, but I think those are my two biggest gripes playing an operative against them.

frequency

Added that one in for ya Wendi.

On the topic of Sorcerors, the two main things I'd like to see is a reduction to the shield, and make force speed drop the ball in Huttball. The last one some might disagree with, but for me I almost feel like you have to put the ball in a sorc's hands if ones near you, the speed allows them to leap through flames with minimal damage ffs. All in all there just really good at Huttball, but I think those are my two biggest gripes playing an operative against them.

I find the Force Speed isn't that big a thing compared to the grapples and pushes people can do. You can snare and/or CC a person who is in Force Speed. And it is only 2 seconds.
Running through fire has to be fixed somehow though. Shield + Force Speed makes the fire a non-issue. And it's on a measly 30s (20s talented) cooldown. Increase that maybe.

Shield +20% talent needs to go high up on the healing tree, not low tier damage tree.
Healing needs to be reduced in general and +healing talents need to be added to the healing tree.

markatisu

Did you use the scanner in your mission items while standing within the objective radius?

No I did not try that, I figured it was something I had to scan or operate. Like when you are slicing a credit box or trying to turn on a computer/activate a computer

Thanks!!

I find the Force Speed isn't that big a thing compared to the grapples and pushes people can do.

Those are annoying sure, but in terms of the speed its more of a "this makes me the ideal class to have the ball" even over tanks imo. Alot of that would be remedied if you took that away, and they'd still be able to fit right in with all the other knockbacks and weird charges/grips that people have.

Of course thats just my personal christmas list when it comes to the class, from an Operative to you dirty sorcerers! :lol

*edit* saw your edit, and yeah maybe increasing the speed would help. On the flip side(as you said), you can snare or cc them so meh..nothing like Hidden Striking a speeding Sorc as he's crossing a fire pit ;)

frequency

Those are annoying sure, but in terms of the speed its more of a "this makes me the ideal class to have the ball" even over tanks imo. Alot of that would be remedied if you took that away, and they'd still be able to fit right in with all the other knockbacks and weird charges/grips that people have.

Of course thats just my personal christmas list when it comes to the class, from an Operative to you dirty sorcerers! :lol
90s CD instead of 30s.
75s talented instead of 20s.

EDIT: We seem to like catching each other in edits.

wowzors

anyone want to come join me on Saber of Exaar Kun? Its getting mighty lonely :( just me and my friends need a couple more for raids/hard modes

I just found a really annoying bug, this has been plaguing me for weeks but I finally figured out the cause.

You know sometimes when you activate your abilities via your key bindings and absolutely nothing happens? Well, if your quickslot bars are bound to mouse buttons, it could be because your mouse is hovering over the quickslot bar.

You heard me right. If you mouse is hovering over the quickslot bar, ANYWHERE over the quickslot bar,mouse buttons will not trigger any quickslot bindings.

To fix the problem, simply move the mouse a few inches so it's not on top of the quickslot bar. I filed a /bug, so here's to hoping it gets fixed.

lol.

I just found a really annoying bug, this has been plaguing me for weeks but I finally figured out the cause.

You know sometimes when you activate your abilities via your key bindings and absolutely nothing happens? Well, if your quickslot bars are bound to mouse buttons, it could be because your mouse is hovering over the quickslot bar.

You heard me right. If you mouse is hovering over the quickslot bar, ANYWHERE over the quickslot bar,mouse buttons will not trigger any quickslot bindings.

To fix the problem, simply move the mouse a few inches so it's not on top of the quickslot bar. I filed a /bug, so here's to hoping it gets fixed.

lol.

Wow. I have my barrier set to a mouse button and had always wondered why it wouldn't activate during pvp. At least now I know what was going wrong. Thanks

Wow. I have my barrier set to a mouse button and had always wondered why it wouldn't activate during pvp. At least now I know what was going wrong. Thanks

Yea I have so many abilities on my bars that often I'll move my mouse over an ability I want to activate in advance since clicking if the mouse is already positioned correctly is faster than moving my finger from say, 2, to like Ctrl+9 or something. so after I do that, none of my other abilities will work until I move my mouse away :(

Have they ever mentioned letting people turn off the camera auto-follow when moving?

It's like a 5 minute fix for something that affects your gameplay all the time and multiple people have told me they reported it in beta.

I don't even know if they have any idea that this is a thing.

Dina

I would recommend rolling a Jedi Sentinel/Marauder at this point. Get some PvP gear and the class becomes nothing to sneeze at. Has plenty of powerful cooldowns and does really hefty damage. Best thing is that it does major damage to Sorcs/Sages, which are in abundance so that's cool too.

And there's this misconception that the class is underpowered, possibly linked to its counterpart Guardian/Juggernaut. That is only the case while leveling, but after level 40 you are set for smooth sailing (until the very last boss of the JK questline, but just two-man that).

That also means that a nerf will not be coming in a very long, long time. Possibly buffs, even.

The one bug that really gets me is not being able to move with Ctrl held down. There's a ton of spells. I need to be able to use Ctrl as a keybind modifier without it stopping me from moving. Why in the hell does it do this in the first place and how have they not fixed it yet is beyond me.

Tacitus_

I find the Force Speed isn't that big a thing compared to the grapples and pushes people can do. You can snare and/or CC a person who is in Force Speed. And it is only 2 seconds.
Running through fire has to be fixed somehow though. Shield + Force Speed makes the fire a non-issue. And it's on a measly 30s (20s talented) cooldown. Increase that maybe.

Shield +20% talent needs to go high up on the healing tree, not low tier damage tree.
Healing needs to be reduced in general and +healing talents need to be added to the healing tree.

Increasing Force Speed cooldown would be horribly bad for Assassins. It's our only gap closer if you don't go deep into the tank tree. I think a lot of the problems with sorcs stem from the fact that they have too many baseline skills, either within the AC (heals) or baseline (sprint, short cd interrupt).

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Fixed for accuracy.

On the topic of Sorcerors, the two main things I'd like to see is a reduction to the shield, and make force speed drop the ball in Huttball. The last one some might disagree with, but for me I almost feel like you have to put the ball in a sorc's hands if ones near you, the speed allows them to leap through flames with minimal damage ffs. All in all they're just really good at Huttball, but I think those are my two biggest gripes playing an operative against them.
When someone responds to the impossible, something ive never seen anywhere either in-game or online, by saying "It happens all the time! :D" im not going to believe it. Maybe im wrong and you can Fraps a video of it. Make me eat some crow. Show all the other Operatives how to do it.

Moaradin

Just did the new flashpoint yesterday for the first time with my guild. Was the heroic version too. Very fun flashpoint and pretty hard too. The bonus boss was pretty hard and required lots of kiting and CC.

frequency

Have they ever mentioned letting people turn off the camera auto-follow when moving?

It's like a 5 minute fix for something that affects your gameplay all the time and multiple people have told me they reported it in beta.

I don't even know if they have any idea that this is a thing.

It would also be nice to fix the zoom to stop resetting to default whenever I load or die.

Increasing Force Speed cooldown would be horribly bad for Assassins. It's our only gap closer if you don't go deep into the tank tree. I think a lot of the problems with sorcs stem from the fact that they have too many baseline skills, either within the AC (heals) or baseline (sprint, short cd interrupt).

Assassins are jerks anyway.

But yeah. They didn't do the whole AC thing very well. More of these talents should be in your AC and specs. Too many shared skills.

frequency

No u

Yeah. Making sprint and the interrupt Assassin specific might be too harsh, but I don't see why sorcs have to have them too...

They should make those stupid 2 point talents just 1 and put stuff like Force Speed into the trees.

Who on earth takes 1/2 points in a 2 point talent.
50% chance for this one thing to happen! Stupid. If you're going to spec into it, you're pretty much locked in for 2 anyway. So having it a 2 point thing is just filler.

By putting AC/spec specific abilities into the trees, you also decrease the ability count - which is way too high right now. Sages/Sorcs have 32 abilities NOT counting those you spec into (like Rejuv). Only 13 of those are Sage/Sorc specific. The rest are shared with Shadows/Assassins.

Tacitus_

They should make those stupid 2 point talents just 1 and put stuff like Force Speed into the trees.

Who on earth takes 1/2 points in a 2 point talent.
50% chance for this one thing to happen! Stupid. If you're going to spec into it, you're pretty much locked in for 2 anyway. So having it a 2 point thing is just filler.

By putting AC/spec specific abilities into the trees, you also decrease the ability count - which is way too high right now. Sages/Sorcs have 32 abilities NOT counting those you spec into (like Rejuv). Only 13 of those are Sage/Sorc specific. The rest are shared with Shadows/Assassins.

I dunno, Force speed is essential for at least two of the assassin specs, since the deathgrip from the tank tree only works on non-boss mobs, so you have to have it for knockbacks etc, where the other tanks can leap into melee. And the other dps trees have no other gap closers, with the middle tree having practically no ranged abilities (ok, discharge and shock have a 10m range, which is practically nothing).

frequency

I dunno, Force speed is essential for at least two of the assassin specs, since the deathgrip from the tank tree only works on non-boss mobs, so you have to have it for knockbacks etc, where the other tanks can leap into melee. And the other dps trees have no other gap closers, with the middle tree having practically no ranged abilities (ok, discharge and shock have a 10m range, which is practically nothing).

Then it should be an Assassin skill, not a shared Inquisitor one.
Alternatively, on the first tier in one of the Assassin trees.

Sorcs do NOT need Force Speed. As a Sage, it's a nice thing to have but I do not need it. In fact, I consider me having it pretty overpowered, especially when it's a measly 30s CD.

The Force Armour skill can already be specced into giving a speed increase.
That's what makes Sorcs so overpowered. We just have way too many tools to handle every situation against every class.

That and energy on the other classes is really dumb for PvP. But that's a problem on a whole other level.

They aren't going to be taking away any abilities for some time, that generally involves class overhauls which don't come till much later.

Any nerfs or changes to the classes are just going to be math related for now.

frequency

They aren't going to be taking away any abilities for some time, that generally involves class overhauls which don't come till much later.

Any nerfs or changes to the classes are just going to be math related for now.

I know. I'm just thinking about possible fixes for "eventually."
There's no way they'd do such major class tweaks so soon.

Changing the numbers is just a band-aid solution though.

Changing the numbers is just a band-aid solution though.

Changing the numbers is often the best solution really, complete revamps often have gone wrong in games. Lot of in game issues are just a matter of the math not working out and with simple tweaks things greatly improve.

Any major changes to a class should never be done without a complete long long eval of every class in game for revamp. One of the worst things you see in MMOs is class revamps that focus on a single class while ignoring other classes. Any revamp done needs to be done across the board.

Draxal

Then it should be an Assassin skill, not a shared Inquisitor one.
Alternatively, on the first tier in one of the Assassin trees.

Sorcs do NOT need Force Speed. As a Sage, it's a nice thing to have but I do not need it. In fact, I consider me having it pretty overpowered, especially when it's a measly 30s CD.

The Force Armour skill can already be specced into giving a speed increase.
That's what makes Sorcs so overpowered. We just have way too many tools to handle every situation against every class.

That and energy on the other classes is really dumb for PvP. But that's a problem on a whole other level.

Pretty much this. Wendi gets alot of shit for repeating his mantra, but there is a ring of truth to it. Smugglers/Ops definetly need a gap closer, they're useless in pve due to it.

One perfect example of that is Mentor in Directive 7, they just spend the whole fight running, while I barely have to move in comparison.

frequency

Changing the numbers is often the best solution really, complete revamps often have gone wrong in games. Lot of in game issues are just a matter of the math not working out and with simple tweaks things greatly improve.

Any major changes to a class should never be done without a complete long long eval of every class in game for revamp. One of the worst things you see in MMOs is class revamps that focus on a single class while ignoring other classes. Any revamp done needs to be done across the board.

Well, I'm of the opinion that many of the core systems in SWTOR are broken and not very good to begin with. So number changes don't really fix anything. But that is just my opinion. I'm no game designer. Just speaking from the perspective of an MMO fan.

Pretty much this. Wendi gets alot of shit for repeating his mantra, but there is a ring of truth to it. Smugglers/Ops definetly need a gap closer, they're useless in pve due to it.

One perfect example of that is Mentor in Directive 7, they just spend the whole fight running, while I barely have to move in comparison.

Wendi is not incorrect in a lot of things she says.
It's just so much hyperbole and so many posts about it.

Scoundrels/Operatives are indeed weak outside of their one trick. But that's the problem. One trick. The class needs work.

Melee DPS always has to do a lot of moving. So to balance that out with mostly-stationary ranged, you increase their DPS to make up for the time they spend running around doing 0 damage.

Top Bottom