• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

gatti-man

Pretty much this. Wendi gets alot of shit for repeating his mantra, but there is a ring of truth to it. Smugglers/Ops definetly need a gap closer, they're useless in pve due to it.

One perfect example of that is Mentor in Directive 7, they just spend the whole fight running, while I barely have to move in comparison.

Yeah i agree. I was fighting an ops the other day and was thinking of wendi. I was focusing on the ball handler in HB while an ops was trying to dps me. It was sad, after the ball carrier had died i was about 30% down in health, just turned around and killed him with ~35% health remaining.

Patryn

I would recommend rolling a Jedi Sentinel/Marauder at this point. Get some PvP gear and the class becomes nothing to sneeze at. Has plenty of powerful cooldowns and does really hefty damage. Best thing is that it does major damage to Sorcs/Sages, which are in abundance so that's cool too.

And there's this misconception that the class is underpowered, possibly linked to its counterpart Guardian/Juggernaut. That is only the case while leveling, but after level 40 you are set for smooth sailing (until the very last boss of the JK questline, but just two-man that).

That also means that a nerf will not be coming in a very long, long time. Possibly buffs, even.

I read posts like this and I want to bang my head against the wall.

I specifically went Guardian rather than what I kind of wanted to go (Sentinel) because I heard that the Sentinel is terrible, that tanks are really needed, blah, blah, blah.

Now I'm in a position where tanks are everywhere, I spent 20 minutes looking for a fucking DPS for a FP, and Sentinels are actually pretty good!

FML.

I will not start a second alt before having a single character reach 50, I will not start a second alt before having a single character reach 50, I will not start a second alt before having a single character reach 50....

I specifically went Guardian rather than what I kind of wanted to go (Sentinel) because I heard that the Sentinel is terrible, that tanks are really needed, blah, blah, blah.

Now I'm in a position where tanks are everywhere, I spent 20 minutes looking for a fucking DPS for a FP, and Sentinels are actually pretty good!

FML.

I will not start a second alt before having a single character reach 50, I will not start a second alt before having a single character reach 50, I will not start a second alt before having a single character reach 50....

That's just your luck that people are always going to have. Finding DPS is never an issue for me. There are lots of tanks yes, but DPS far outnumber everything in this game.

Healers are the most needed of all classes. Experience in not finding groups or getting what you need for yours is merely up to luck of whats online at the time, what people are looking to do at the time, and server make up.

I will not take anyones opinion that one is better than the other as both JK/SW AC's are called "shit" by someone and both are treated as being awful by the community it seems.

Patryn

Sentinels will also always be in demand just because of the Heroism/Bloodlust ability they have.

charlie-brown-argh.jpg

frequency

FML.

16 alts is the only way to live.

Zareth

FML.

You could always spec your guardian for dps if you are having trouble finding a group as a tank.

On my server it can even be challenging to find a group as a healer. I'm not 50 yet though so that probably changes but still it's crazy for a server where there are 250+ pops on the fleet at prime time.

Fixed1979

FML.

I started about 2 weeks late and then purposely avoided reading about weak v strong classes and what the server was short on and rolled what I wanted (sentinel). I'll pick my alt based on what the guild needs more of.

I would recommend rolling a Jedi Sentinel/Marauder at this point. Get some PvP gear and the class becomes nothing to sneeze at. Has plenty of powerful cooldowns and does really hefty damage. Best thing is that it does major damage to Sorcs/Sages, which are in abundance so that's cool too.

And there's this misconception that the class is underpowered, possibly linked to its counterpart Guardian/Juggernaut. That is only the case while leveling, but after level 40 you are set for smooth sailing (until the very last boss of the JK questline, but just two-man that).

That also means that a nerf will not be coming in a very long, long time. Possibly buffs, even.

JK will not ever get a real nerf unless BW overtunes them on the next buff. Guardian buffs are already confirmed with sentinel buffs being looked into and likely. As it should be, it's beyond me why anyone would think either JK class needs nerfs given it's the most commonly noted class as being underpowered.

I'm hoping they reveal and do some events soon. Was the one thing I really liked about RIFT even though the rest of that game bored me. There was always some event going on that kept players doing new things, going places, new stuff to aquire, little story elements. They used to do them with Warhammer as well and had some real cool ones in that, so hope to see them start doing them here to liven things up.

Macattk15

Don't worry, he was flipping out about how bad operatives were BEFORE they got nerfs announced. That's how in touch with reality our dear friend wendi is.

Aw man. What are they going to do to Operatives? I WRECK people in PvP. Consistently top damage .... we need a gap closer for PvE sure ... but as long as you keep people with a Sever'ed Tendon .. they never get away and their back is always facing you if they try in PvP ...

Regardless of what Wendi says ... Operatives are OP'ed ... least how I play it. I'm level 50 also. I solo heroic 4s regularily while leveling ... I destroy people in PvP (well minus Sorcs with shields up) ... if they stay on the ground the entire time Hidden Strike knocks them down for ... they get back up with sub 50% HP .... at that point I win regardless of what they do afterwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1su-tMdKJE&feature=channel_video_title'

Since you know so much about playing an Operative what are they doing wrong in this video? Theres what? 17 seconds of the Operative beating on them and even though the target isnt moving or reacting due to testing purposes the Op still did not kill them before the video ends.

No Corrosive Dart (mine has a 25% chance to tick twice and it does considerable damage over the duration), no Shivs, ONE lacerate .... he literally stands there waiting for his backstab to come off CD while doing nothing .... come the fuck on.

SURE. I die when caught out of stealth. I kill one person in the back, restealth, kill another person .... don't play like a retard and try to gank the juggernaught in the middle of a huge fight.

FML.

Don't force yourself to 50 on a class you dislike. It will only make you hate the game.

zlatko

Banned
Teknoman you were on FF14 and 11 before that yeah? You'll dig this game a lot if you enjoyed the story aspects of those MMO's, because this one feels a good step forward in that regard.

:)

Zafir

Tanks seem to be the most wanted for HMs on my server funnily enough. I often get whispers asking me to do one. Operations is another ball game though, my guild has far too many.

Tacitus_

Then it should be an Assassin skill, not a shared Inquisitor one.
Alternatively, on the first tier in one of the Assassin trees.

Sorcs do NOT need Force Speed. As a Sage, it's a nice thing to have but I do not need it. In fact, I consider me having it pretty overpowered, especially when it's a measly 30s CD.

Yeah, that's my gut feeling. But doing something so dramatic, so soon after launch could be catastrophic. It really should've been fixed in beta, but from what I've heard, there were numerous complaints that never got fixed in the beta...

Skip it. Just do your class quests and leave it real quick. Many easy quick ways to get your xp elsewhere

yeah, slowly realizing this. The ratio of class quests vs other quests later... Has anyone made a 'rush to 50' leveling guide yet? Currently 42 at Hoth and am getting a sense that i might hit 50 before I finish up all the planets =/

next alt, will be speeding through this stuff...

Patryn

Don't force yourself to 50 on a class you dislike. It will only make you hate the game.

Oh, I don't hate either of my other guys. It's totally a grass is always greener scenario, you know?

Two lightsabers just looks SO COOL.

But I do love my Guardian, don't get me wrong.

yeah, slowly realizing this. The ratio of class quests vs other quests later... Has anyone made a 'rush to 50' leveling guide yet? Currently 42 at Hoth and am getting a sense that i might hit 50 before I finish up all the planets =/

It's why I'm skipping various parts of planets and entire quest lines on my way to 50, as I'm leaving them for my alts to have something fresh to do instead of repeating everything I did with my main.

It's why I'm skipping various parts of planets and entire quest lines on my way to 50, as I'm leaving them for my alts to have something fresh to do instead of repeating everything I did with my main.

I try to do that, but most quests are pretty much close by, why skip them? And with all the bitching about how crap jk are, I'm always in fear that I might be underleveled or something even though I tend to be a good 2-3 levels above the mobs.

And for people feeling a bit burned out near the 'final stretch' to 50. Try respecing to another tree. Really digging the focus tree on guardian right now, which actually has some sort of rotation going (which is pretty soothing in a way).

Patryn

I can definitely say that the Nar Shadda Bonus series is something that can be skipped.

Did it at level 35 (admittedly 4 levels over what it's targeted for) and the end reward was a lightsaber hilt that I could already make about 7 levels earlier (Might Hilt 12 when I was already rocking a Might Hilt 16).

Tacitus_

Well, I didn't skip the Hoth bonus quests (did skip a few ones before that due to space missions granting hilariously huge exp) and I finished leveling on the last planet.

And skipping dialogue and doing PVP dailies will boost leveling speeds so much. I could've dinged 50 on my BH in 3,5 days but I'm chilling out at 48 for now and grinding hon.. valor in the lowbie bracket.

Teknoman

Teknoman you were on FF14 and 11 before that yeah? You'll dig this game a lot if you enjoyed the story aspects of those MMO's, because this one feels a good step forward in that regard.

:)

Yeah i'm really liking that aspect of the game, especially since everything has voice acting, even my own character. Really helps that the sound effects are pretty detailed and the action itself feels like i'm making contact with enemies.

zlatko

Banned
Yeah i'm really liking that aspect of the game, especially since everything has voice acting, even my own character. Really helps that the sound effects are pretty detailed and the action itself feels like i'm making contact with enemies.

There's definitely a lot of content here too up to 50 to dabble in and have fun with, but I guess my main issue as a FFXI former player is just the real lack of difficulty, and the fact that dying in the game has no real punishment. You get the usual have to repair gear if you die too much, or might have to walk yourself back to where you died if it's too big of a wait to spawn on your death spot, but it's easy street compared to XI's loss of exp points and leveling down.

I'm hoping at 50 I'll get some of the difficulty to be ramped up when I group with people like XI's tougher group encounters such as CoP story line or NM's.

Fun mmo to unwind to after work though. :p

Ken

I did every single quest I could and I hit 50 about 10 minutes after landing in Corellia on my main. I then rushed through Corellia doing just class quests so I could get easy champion bags before the Ilum was changed. Now I'm on my alt. and I'm definitely going to skip quite a lot of quests on the lower planets.

frequency

Speaking of repairs and easiness...
I don't think I have ever actually repaired my gear while leveling. I always got new stuff that just replaced it before it needed repairs and I never died enough for the penalty to really hit.

Teknoman

There's definitely a lot of content here too up to 50 to dabble in and have fun with, but I guess my main issue as a FFXI former player is just the real lack of difficulty, and the fact that dying in the game has no real punishment. You get the usual have to repair gear if you die too much, or might have to walk yourself back to where you died if it's too big of a wait to spawn on your death spot, but it's easy street compared to XI's loss of exp points and leveling down.

I'm hoping at 50 I'll get some of the difficulty to be ramped up when I group with people like XI's tougher group encounters such as CoP story line or NM's.

Yeah the first time I got overwhelmed, I was expecting to loose something after dying, or that calling a medical droid would cause some sort of setback. Was one of those "Yeah...but whats the catch?" moments. I really like the fact that you're encouraged to actually fight through dungeon areas instead of just training everything.

Tacitus_

The voice acting shows its limits when you hear the same canned answer for an answer type. Like when I'm saying I'll kill someone, there's a 90% chance my assassin will say "murder and mayhem await".

Normal modes are hilariously easy, but hardmode flashpoints need good gear and a reasonable understanding of your class mechanics to complete. Normal mode raids are quite easy (Soa bugs notwithstanding), haven't done the hardmode raids yet.

Speaking of repairs and easiness...
I don't think I have ever actually repaired my gear while leveling. I always got new stuff that just replaced it before it needed repairs and I never died enough for the penalty to really hit.

It affects those of us who use Orange gear we mod and keep for long periods of time. If you constantly upgrade your new gear with quest stuff and hit the auction houses after each ding to upgrade, you should be fine. I had some nice purple prototype set that lasted me over 6 levels and had to repair them several times because I kept them so long.

frequency

It affects those of us who use Orange gear we mod and keep for long periods of time. If you constantly upgrade your new gear with quest stuff and hit the auction houses after each ding to upgrade, you should be fine. I had some nice purple prototype set that lasted me over 6 levels and had to repair them several times because I kept them so long.

That makes sense.
None of the gear looks particularly good to me so I switch Oranges all the time. It's like my character has terrible fashion sense.

EekTheKat

The more I play, the more I miss a proper LFG tool. Or at the very least something that easily lets you properly filter people by role and where they want to go at the very least.

With the current LFG flag, people on my server tend to invite first, then tell you where they're going after. Often this winds up with me being a low 30's tank running a low 20's flashpoint.

Or if they're yelling in General asking for a group, sometimes 2 or 3 groups would post a very specific LFM requirement and someone in the zone would say a generic "I'll go" in chat without specifying for which group and what instance, this often results in more wrong invites to wrong groups and the such.

I would sometimes LFG for a heroic 4 mission, but often wind up with invites for a heroic 2 or for a mission that I have already done.

This has been bugging me for a while, but is there a way to see the entire LFG comment? For me browsing comments in the who section seem to cut off after the first 10-12 characters, so often I'd have to abbreviate a comment to TANK LFG FP H4 instead of TANK LFG Mandalorian Raiders/Cademimu

nataku

The more I play, the more I miss a proper LFG tool. Or at the very least something that easily lets you properly filter people by role and where they want to go at the very least.

With the current LFG flag, people on my server tend to invite first, then tell you where they're going after. Often this winds up with me being a low 30's tank running a low 20's flashpoint.

Or if they're yelling in General asking for a group, sometimes 2 or 3 groups would post a very specific LFM requirement and someone in the zone would say a generic "I'll go" in chat without specifying for which group and what instance, this often results in more wrong invites to wrong groups and the such.

I would sometimes LFG for a heroic 4 mission, but often wind up with invites for a heroic 2 or for a mission that I have already done.

This has been bugging me for a while, but is there a way to see the entire LFG comment? For me browsing comments in the who section seem to cut off after the first 10-12 characters, so often I'd have to abbreviate a comment to TANK LFG FP H4 instead of TANK LFG Mandalorian Raiders/Cademimu

If you mouse over the icon in the LFG list on the far left it will show you the whole comment.

I eventually just gave up trying to find FP groups after not being able to find one as a healer for The Red Reaper. LFG over the course of about four days was enough for me. I've done enough of the whole sitting in town LFG for hours only to come up empty in past MMOs that didn't have a proper LFG system, I'm not going to waste my time here.

It wouldn't be that bad if I could actually do something else while spamming chat channels for it, but without a server wide LFG channel or something if I'm not in the fleet my chances of finding a FP group are even worse.

Darklord

Banned
I got 4 epics day. My first 3 champion epics from pvp(pants, belt, boots) and an earpiece from my first Black Talon HM run. Not a bad day at all. I do way more damage now.

Realyn

I finished my class quest on Hoth at lvl 48. Being overlvld is phun time.

Zafir

I wish you could turn loot auto assign off. Again I get pieces which I already have, which another member could have used.

Walshicus

Hmm... stuck on "The Launcher is being updated. Please wait..." for a few minutes now.

Anyone else have this?

EDIT: Nevermind. Finally did something!

Dina

JK will not ever get a real nerf unless BW overtunes them on the next buff. Guardian buffs are already confirmed with sentinel buffs being looked into and likely. As it should be, it's beyond me why anyone would think either JK class needs nerfs given it's the most commonly noted class as being underpowered.

I don't think they are underpowered at all. They are the most item-dependent classes and they can be a pain while leveling, but get some PvP gear on them and they snowball harder than any class in the game atm.

You can try making your Guardian into a DPS spec? It's not hugely popular, but it has the same issues the Sentinel has. Incredibly gear-dependent, but when it clicks and you have proper gear it goes places fast.

Also, when the stars align -> http://i.imgur.com/ED7vO.jpg

usea

There's quite a few RNG super heroes running around ranked 30 or below.

Shit is cringe worthy.
How? I think I'm rank 23 or so and I've only gotten enough commendations to open 2 bags. Does it slow down so much that I'll open a ton more between now and 30?

Alternatively: what am I doing wrong? I'm just doing WZs for commendations, converting most of them into mercenary comms, and buying bags for 200/200. I haven't done any dailies at 50 because I still have 2 more planets to do.

No Corrosive Dart (mine has a 25% chance to tick twice and it does considerable damage over the duration), no Shivs, ONE lacerate .... he literally stands there waiting for his backstab to come off CD while doing nothing .... come the fuck on.

SURE. I die when caught out of stealth. I kill one person in the back, restealth, kill another person .... don't play like a retard and try to gank the juggernaught in the middle of a huge fight.

Quick, someone get me that .gif of The Rock applauding!

When someone responds to the impossible, something ive never seen anywhere either in-game or online, by saying "It happens all the time! :D" im not going to believe it. Maybe im wrong and you can Fraps a video of it. Make me eat some crow. Show all the other Operatives how to do it.

Post in question from January 8th: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34103604&postcount=10168

Again, your reading comprehension Wendi. You even got the face emote wrong, I mean really? Also notice I never said it happens all the time, I said it happens. Although not too recently, as ever since the 50's bracket was implemented, I get Huttball 90% of the time. Also notice the part about the other 50's gear. I never said Battlemasters, I never said "equally geared," I said 50's. Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3eMlw59n7c&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6QT2muAFbg&feature=youtu.be

I started messing around with FRAPS late last night, so I apologize for both videos being poorly edited(you can even hear my friend talking in one of them). Both videos you'll see me burst down a 50 pretty fast, with no adrenal or stim's. I don't see how it's really that inconceivable to kill 2 level 50's guarding a turret, when you have the element of surprise and can burst down one as quick as I do in either of those videos. Hell, I don't even have my keybinds set up right now, which means alot of clicking in PVP(a serious no-no).

If I do get a video to "satisfy" you, I'll PM you the link. Honestly I'm tired of going around in circles with this, and I know many in this thread are tired of the excessive bitching and whining about Operatives. Personally, I'm tired of your over-exaggeration and "the sky is falling" mentality when it comes to Operatives, and I'm glad you've moved on to a class that makes you happy. Obviously we're not going to agree on this subject, but I take offense to being told I'm full of shit for just sharing my experiences. Just because you can't do something doesn't mean it can't be done.

Top Bottom