• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

gatti-man

My 30 days ended. I thought "man I really missed my when I raided with friends in WoW". I resubbed to WoW and noticed my friends all left too and my UI mods and stuff are all gone or out of date. I attempted to fix them and was killed while doing so. Logged out. Cancelled. Resubbed to SWTOR. Oh god how I missed my companions.

Swtor>wow for me too.

Greatly enjoy the game still, just hope that we see more quality of life improvements soon. They seem to be doing well at fixing things and they got content coming, but I really hope to see them roll out refinements to the game in general. Faster travel options, the customizable UI features soon, global lfg chat system, lfd tools, etc. Future content has me interested and I hope we also see some special events unveiled soon, always liked the limited time special world events in other games. Was my favorite thing about RIFT which did them all the time.

Start rolling out some game refinements and features please!

Izayoi

Banned
yeah, 11 PVP babags..you are just totally casual now....
11 Battlemaster bags, bro.

2 a day max, which on Republic is easier said than done.

I opened over 200 Champion bags before I gave up on getting a full set.

Permanent or just till they fix...whatever needs to be fixed?

EDIT: So about PVP gear - I've seen vendors for it, but is it only good/optimal for PVP, or is it multipurpose (basically just pvp rewards)?
Until they fix a lot of things. The current content has potential, but it's so buggy that most of it just isn't worth running right now. That and the game is RNG hell right now at endgame.

Champ PvP gear is decent for entry level raiding (even Hard Mode, in a pinch) but the PvE gear is far better for PvE. Centurion gear is straight bad, no reason even bothering unless you desperately need the Expertise.

Sigfodr

Greatly enjoy the game still, just hope that we see more quality of life improvements soon. They seem to be doing well at fixing things and they got content coming, but I really hope to see them roll out refinements to the game in general. Faster travel options, the customizable UI features soon, global lfg chat system, lfd tools, etc. Future content has me interested and I hope we also see some special events unveiled soon, always liked the limited time special world events in other games. Was my favorite thing about RIFT which did them all the time.

Start rolling out some game refinements and features please!

I played EQ and I feel like part of the game was lost when Planes of Power came out. I loved the exploration and I think that part of the challenge was time management. Maybe I'm just nostalgic.

gatti-man

11 Battlemaster bags, bro.

2 a day max, which on Republic is easier said than done.

I opened over 200 Champion bags before I gave up on getting a full set.

Until they fix a lot of things. The current content has potential, but it's so buggy that most of it just isn't worth running right now. That and the game is RNG hell right now at endgame.

Champ PvP gear is decent for entry level raiding (even Hard Mode, in a pinch) but the PvE gear is far better for PvE. Centurion gear is straight bad, no reason even bothering unless you desperately need the Expertise.

You expected to get a full pvp set with only 200 bags? Lol.

Ramirez

Got my new PC today, and it's taking me fooooorever to download all of the game/patches again, I feel like I'm being taunted. :(

Also, my friend cancelled his sub because his PC kept crashing for whatever reason with the game. He claims a lot of people are having the same problem. Point is, I had a lvl 40 BH on a server with him, so now I'm probably gonna reroll over on the GAF server, need to get an invite eventually.

gatti-man

Got my new PC today, and it's taking me fooooorever to download all of the game/patches again, I feel like I'm being taunted. :(

Also, my friend cancelled his sub because his PC kept crashing for whatever reason with the game. He claims a lot of people are having the same problem. Point is, I had a lvl 40 BH on a server with him, so now I'm probably gonna reroll over on the GAF server, need to get an invite eventually.

You will have more fun with us anyways. Just message dega, dude is on 24/7 i swear.

Are you rolling empire or republic?

Ramirez

Speaking of pvp, my old PC couldn't even handle more than one person grouping with me so I never got to pvp. How are BH's in PVP? I see a lot of tracer missile jokes in general.

gatti-man

How dare I, right?

Sorry if I'm too casual for you.

A way to grind it out would've been fine. RNG is not.

Do the math its just simple intelligence. Right now you can get 2 bags a day for dailes and 6 bags for dailies. Plus the bags you can just buy. So if you buy 1 bag a day plus dailies and weeklies you are looking at 27 bags a week. That would mean every lvl 50 essentially would have a full set in 2 months or less. The hardcore would have it in weeks or even days.

I hear so many cry about rng but if it wasnt rng you would be complaining about tiny rewards bc thats what it is in fact.

Speaking of pvp, my old PC couldn't even handle more than one person grouping with me so I never got to pvp. How are BH's in PVP? I see a lot of tracer missile jokes in general.

Second only to sorc imo.

Izayoi

Banned
Do the math its just simple intelligence. Right now you can get 2 bags a day for dailes and 6 bags for dailies. Plus the bags you can just buy. So if you buy 1 bag a day plus dailies and weeklies you are looking at 27 bags a week. That would mean every lvl 50 essentially would have a full set in 2 months or less. The hardcore would have it in weeks or even days.
A full set of mid-tier PvP gear in two months is too fast?

What?

Havok

Fuck those Kaleesh Supplymasters on Ilum, seriously. Zero cooldown self heals 3 out of every 4 actions that can take them from 30% to 100 health. I only have so many interrupts, goddamnit.

Izayoi

Banned
For a casual yes it is. Keep being inflammatory, its your thing and you do it well.
lol

There are better ways to do a gear system. If you're satisfied with the current system, that's great for you, but that doesn't make it good by any means.

What is this shit I don't even...

Are people really defending the bag RNG system now?

What the fuck.
I don't know anymore, man.

Teknoman

I cant wait to see how they do holiday and/regular special world events (not just special fluff) too. I have no idea what to expect here, but hopefully they'll be great. I do wish the engine was better optimized so there could be larger populated areas.

What is this shit I don't even...

Are people really defending the bag RNG system now?

What the fuck.

Indeed there's numerous RNG super heroes.

One of my bosses used to tell me: Don't come to me with problems unless you also have solutions.

Do you have a solution?

bjb

Banned
I cant wait to see how they do holiday and/regular special world events (not just special fluff) too. I have no idea what to expect here, but hopefully they'll be great. I do wish the engine was better optimized so there could be larger populated areas.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

The engine can't realistically hold more than 16 players in combat at once.

Therefore any "world event" is going to be heavily instanced, or strictly for social purposes.

One of my bosses used to tell me: Don't come to me with problems unless you also have solutions.

Do you have a solution?

What the hell are you talking about? Quit with that cliche nonsense - fuck your boss.

Why should I have to have the solution? The fact the current system is in-place is laughable. I've yet to come across a single person, much less any serious PvPer who is happy with BioWa're system. Well, until I read that calamity of a post above.

At Valor Rank 54, I'm not even close to being in Full Champion Gear. Yet I have looted at least 5 different main-hands, 5 off-hands, 4 chest pieces, and a hand full other assorted duplicates. Mind you this is gear my companions can't even use.

At least give us tokens to spend on items that we want, or at the very least - a form of currency to save up and purchase the items we really need.

Was that so hard? Apparently for Gabe Amatangelo and the other drones content with this bullshit, it just might be.

I haven't done the "PvP Token or Tears of Rage" bags yet but opening up 200 bags and not getting a single token is terrible to hear. Sounds like it's time to raise the percentage of the drop rate a bit.

I don't think that's what he said. He said he opened 200 bags and gave up on a full set.

Izayoi

Banned
I haven't done the "PvP Token or Tears of Rage" bags yet but opening up 200 bags and not getting a single token is terrible to hear. Sounds like it's time to raise the percentage of the drop rate a bit.
200 Champion bags, no full set. 11 unique pieces.

13 Battlemaster bags, no commendations.

Teknoman

I wouldn't hold your breath.

The engine can't realistically hold more than 16 players in combat at once.

Therefore any "world event" is going to be heavily instanced, or strictly for social purposes.

Well thats not very reassuring...unless they can do something totally original that doesnt involve everyone beating on a giant enemy/ doing something random for a santa suit.

bjb

Banned
Well thats not very reassuring...unless they can do something totally original that doesnt involve everyone beating on a giant enemy/ doing something random for a santa suit.

Nothing in this game is really original.

Sure the leveling was fun, outside of the whole "choices mattering" gimmick.

Everything else has been copied or stolen from other games of the same genre.

Only problem is that it's been poorly constructed and optimized.

Right down to the shitty Hero Engine, which Circa 05-06' is really starting to show it's age.

At this point, it's just not logical to expect any major changes than what's already available now.

Particularly in regards to end-game.

Varna

The Foundry is some cool shit. Started cheering when
HK-47
started talking. Nobody in the chat channel who he was... lol

Unfortunately we only had a three man group and were doing good until that very point. No healers around so we were fucked and couldn't continue.

And yes the Hero engine is fucken crap. Can't believe how shitty it is and how badly it runs. Worse to see how the seams are coming apart and it might be the very reason why this game doesn't end up lasting very long.

Teknoman

Nothing in this game is really original.

Sure the leveling was fun, outside of the whole "choices mattering" gimmick.

Everything else has been copied or stolen from other games of the same genre.

Only problem is that it's been poorly constructed and optimized.

Right down to the shitty Hero Engine, which Circa 05-06' is really starting to show it's age.

At this point, it's just not logical to expect any major changes than what's already available now.

Particularly in regards to end-game.

Well aside from that, its possible they would be able to change engines sometime in the future right? Aside from FFXI, XIV, and abit of WoW, I havent really followed MMORPGS, so i'm not sure if there has been a precedent set for something like that.

Varna

Well aside from that, its possible they would be able to change engines sometime in the future right? Aside from FFXI, XIV, and abit of WoW, I havent really followed MMORPGS, so i'm not sure if there has been a precedent set for something like that.

Pretty much impossible. I would be fine with the smaller scale stuff if I could find enough people for even that.

bjb

Banned

They can attempt to optimize the current engine, but unfortunately there's no way to actually change it entirely.

Believe me I wish there was.

And yes the Hero engine is fucken crap. Can't believe how shitty it is and how badly it runs. Worse to see how the seams are coming apart and it might be the very reason why this game doesn't end up lasting very long.

You would think that with a multi million dollar budget they could, I don't know, build their own unique engine in house.

Worked out pretty well for Blizzard.

Pretty much impossible. I would be fine with the smaller scale stuff if I could find enough people for even that.

Changing engines is impossible, as you mention. But it's not logical to assume that they will not continue to improve hero engine, at least as much as possible. I mean it's not like they're just gonna throw their hands up in the air and say fuck it, the fact that they managed to ship on HE at all shows that they've done a massive amount of work on it already. There's no reason to think it'll stop just because the game is live now.

Despite what many people who don't know how these things work believe, the performance of HE really does affet their bottom line. Slower performance means that they need more servers (game servers), and this in turn means they need more physical servers (racks / machines in a datacenter) to handle everything. This is not cheap, and anyone who thinks that the business side of BioWare are not putting pressure to improve the performance of the game is delusional.

Varna

I really do hope your right. Signed up for another three months because I really want this to be something I can keep coming back to.

Alex

I'll probably cap, run the basic gamut of dungeons and heroics a few times, goof with legacy a bit when it hits then quit until it's expanded or fleshed out in more than just the generic end-game MMO fare. I can't bring myself to ever raid again in an MMO, done way too much from bleeding edge to mega casual and I'm just spent.

PvP could be fun if they keep expanding on it but when I think PvP I just think it's better to wait for Guild Wars.

Leveling has been such a blast as a duo, though, good challenge and I appreciate all of the co-op quirks, although probably made it too rough at times in a perma duo + planet skipping :lol Oh and fuck Alderaan, what a shitty experience that place was, misleading too with nice aesthetics!

Swtor>wow for me too.

I abhor the current incantation of WoW but I still want to try Pandaria! I won't though, since I know it'll just be getting more and more mindless in the future though recent announcements and design quirks, so there's no point especially for someone like me who wants to see good game design but doesn't want to file another job app and be locked into a life draining heroic raiding schedule.

Plus, I'd want a Monk, and leveling in WoW is fucking agony. They can keep making it faster and faster but it's still dozens of hours of content that just isn't fun with it's mindless mini-games and 3 second long fights.

demented

3 things that are bothering me:

PvP, I swear I played like 50 games and barely won 3 for daily after like 4 days. I play empire and while leveling it was even but this is just ridiculous. Not really a thing that can/should be fixed but annoying me. Gear system isn't that great either esp. when you're losing and not getting that much commendations or daily/weeklies done. Illum is pretty crap on my server too.

PvE, arrgh, while leveling it didn't hurt that much, it did annoy me that I most of the time couldn't find a group for heroic quest or flashpoint, even as a healer(alt) but now as 50 it takes me hour(s) to get a group and I usually end up giving up. There really needs to be better LFG system...

Combat log, there should be one for many reasons so yeah.

Just from top of my head. Stuff on Illum and losing bunch of games made me mad so many times I'm still leaning over not subbing after my time ends, but that's in 61 day lol.

frequency

Do you have a solution?

The way I would fix the system is to stop making people "buy" the bags and take a chance.
You should be trading commendations for the gear itself, not a bag that has a chance of having the gear you need. Of course, things should be more expensive (cost more tokens) than they are now to account for that.

So you can actually see your commendation count and you getting closer to your goal.
This is infinitely better than getting 200/200 and buying a bag then hoping it'll have what you need. Right now, it's silly that someone can put in way more work and not have their set - ending up with like 5 chest pieces, while someone else, who the RNG gods favour, get their set with minimal work.

Some randomness is good in RPG systems. But randomness in rewards, especially in a PvP system, is frustrating, not fun, and doesn't feel rewarding.

bjb

Banned
I can't bring myself to ever raid again in an MMO.

The normal mode operations in this game are meant for casuals. As evident by the loot system - which automatically assigns gear after each encounter.

My current guild is pushing Nightmare content, but tonight I decided to join a Pug 8 man Eternity Vault, mostly because I was bored.

We had one tank, mostly wearing level 42 greens, and a few other clowns who couldn't stop themselves from keyboard turning. While I'm sure there was quite a bit of carrying going on, the entire instance was cleared within an hour.

Both Operations are beyond easy on Normal, and should be cleared by almost any Pug or Guild.

The way I would fix the system is to stop making people "buy" the bags and take a chance.
You should be trading commendations for the gear itself, not a bag that has a chance of having the gear you need. Of course, things should be more expensive (cost more tokens) than they are now to account for that.

So you can actually see your commendation count and you getting closer to your goal.
This is infinitely better than getting 200/200 and buying a bag then hoping it'll have what you need. Right now, it's silly that someone can put in way more work and not have their set - ending up with like 5 chest pieces, while someone else, who the RNG gods favour, get their set with minimal work.

Some randomness is good in RPG systems. But randomness in rewards, especially in a PvP system, is frustrating, not fun, and doesn't feel rewarding.

Well said. The current system is utterly garbage.

Well said. The current system is utterly garbage.

I wasn't disagreeing with your original point btw, only pointing out that criticism by itself is not constructive and only serves to waste people's time and overall be a nuisance. Feedback, on the other hand, is a different story.

I think this would be decent, but I don't think I'd completely remove randomness from the equation. I think a decent amount of randomness is healthy for endgame gear, but finding the right balance can be difficult. For example, they could make different set pieces have different acquisition requirements, with the most sought after pieces (usually chest) coming from bags, but with lower rate than current. Or maybe have all of it come from commendations as you suggest, but then provide a way to "upgrade" gear via some sort of BoP material or commendation that only comes from bags. Something of that nature.

Alex

The normal mode operations in this game are meant for casuals. As evident by the loot system - which automatically assigns gear after each encounter.

Casual in time investment, or casual as in "I'm a fucking retard, feed me loot so I feel good about myself"? I have a big complaint with MMO game design catering to basement dwellers or total morons lately with nothing in-between lately.

I just want to be able to burst play on my own terms, without scheduling anything but I also want to be challenged and really be able to flex some muscle and there's so very little to find in these games along those lines.

TheYanger

Casual in time investment, or casual as in "I'm a fucking retard, feed me loot so I feel good about myself"?

I have a big complaint with MMO game design catering to basement dwellers or total morons lately. What eventually started off as evolving towards the middle ground has become self-parody in these games.

The latter. I just did the last boss in EV and the first 4 in KP for the first time tonight (normal). Now, I'm a pretty god damn amazing wow player and I have tempered expectations of those around me, but holy shit were these fights easy. I'm NOT in a good pve guild in swtor. I'm in the kind of guild that MIGHT have cleared molten core back in vanilla wow. No boss took more than a wipe or two for them to figure out, and most of em I could see how they worked within moments of pulling. That's all well and dandy, but then execution wise...no dps check to speak of, no serious healing checks to speak of. The hard mode flashpoints are genuinely more intense and difficult. They drop the same levels of loot though so I guess it's fair.

I wasn't disagreeing with your original point btw, only pointing out that criticism by itself is not constructive and only serves to waste people's time and overall be a nuisance. Feedback, on the other hand, is a different story.
So whenever you've criticized something, you're hatching a solution of your own? Are you just an expert in like all areas of life?

That whole "don't come to me with problems unless you have solutions" is just the sort of peppy corporate mantra that makes no sense when you think about it for more than 2 seconds.

Really curious if it' even possible for them to fix lfg for heroics for servers that are slowly losing folks. A lot of heroics are not instanced, so multiserver lfg won't work...

Just let us be able to roll with our entire party ;)

havoc squad. move out.

Besides the Prison fp does
Revan
ever show up again? Does the jedi exile/kotor 2 main ever appear in this game? I know that he/she was mentioned by scourge.

Top Bottom