• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

They launched with way too many servers and seriously need to merge some of them.

Yet when they launched, everyone was pissed that they hadn't had enough servers for the demand and were stuck waiting in queues!

This is a broken record with MMOs and devs have said as much, opening a bunch of servers to meet launch demand bites them in the ass later

nataku

Yet when they launched, everyone was pissed that they hadn't had enough servers for the demand and were stuck waiting in queues!

This is a broken record with MMOs and devs have said as much, opening a bunch of servers to meet launch demand bites them in the ass later

That's just the way it is with server based MMOs that are even remotely popular. They would have lost more customers had they not added more servers to help alleviate queue issues. Personally, I wouldn't have stuck around if I was sitting in a several hour queue every time I went to play for the first couple of weeks. At the same time I won't stick around if I'm stuck on a dead server they refuse to merge with another. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

They just have to be prepared and have everything set up so they can quickly merge less popular servers as people drop the game in the same way they were prepared to quickly add new servers to keep up with demand.

CAW

The game needs a bit more choice in leveling zones, but I understand that's difficult due to the class quest system which sends you to each planet and then branches off into each area as your progress through the side quests.

I just arrived on tatooine with my third character (have two others at level 35 then kinda got burned out on Taris) and I'm enjoying the class quest (sith warrior) and I really, really want to keep going but doing all those side quests again....ugh.

Enosh

yay, got my acc back
anyway
<- Enosh on bloodworthy, just finished my warrior class quest, really enjoyed it, will probably level an alt also on the republic side (in addition to doing some raiding, pvp, flashpoints etc on my main), kinda interested in seeing the story from a republic point of view

then again I never actually got an alt in a mmo to max level, even in GW which had only 20 short levels I stopped at 16 ^^

CzarTim

I just hang out on illum while i talk in gaf chat and que for pvp. Got it done in 3 days. Sometimes i get rolled by repubs but its rare.
I am pub... :(

The fact is, if you are out numbered by more than a few people, it's hopeless. Which causes the other faction to leave. Which means you need to get arms for most of your daily. Which means driving around in a circle for an hour (longer depending on how many people are there.) And that's boring.

Miletius

I mentioned a few pages ago that I was thinking about abandoning my Republic characters on Thanna Vesh, and I'm glad that I did. I ended up rolling on The Swiftsure, since it seems to always be populated, and even though it supposedly has a horrible A/H ratio it's been a much better experience.

I hope that when/if they merge servers they do it intelligently and allow me to bring my characters over to servers that I have already rolled on.

Luckily my Empire server (Keller's Void) is doing well, so I can still find groups for quests there.

The game needs a bit more choice in leveling zones, but I understand that's difficult due to the class quest system which sends you to each planet and then branches off into each area as your progress through the side quests.

I just arrived on tatooine with my third character (have two others at level 35 then kinda got burned out on Taris) and I'm enjoying the class quest (sith warrior) and I really, really want to keep going but doing all those side quests again....ugh.

The bonus series later on where you can go back to planets you did previously are nice as they are usually optional and give you something else to do rather than just the same old. Would have preferred if they did all the planet bonus series like that instead of some of them taking place right away when your about to leave

zlatko

Banned
I would really hope server merges are something they do with the 1.2 update in March. It just needs to happen. My main server when I picked it was heavy load so I figured I'd be good to go, but now I'm walking through a ghost town 24/7 on a PvP server at level 30. :( Finding groups for heroics or FP's is impossible really, and anytime I do PvP I have lost. My server just can't hang with the imperials on it sadly.

:(

Darklord

Banned
I would really hope server merges are something they do with the 1.2 update in March. It just needs to happen. My main server when I picked it was heavy load so I figured I'd be good to go, but now I'm walking through a ghost town 24/7 on a PvP server at level 30. :( Finding groups for heroics or FP's is impossible really, and anytime I do PvP I have lost. My server just can't hang with the imperials on it sadly.

:(

My sever:

Imperial Fleet: 32
Ilum: 8

Swiftsure:

Imperial Fleet: 100+
Illum: 90

I picked the wrong server...

C.Dark.DN

Banned
My sever:

Imperial Fleet: 32
Ilum: 8

Swiftsure:

Imperial Fleet: 100+
Illum: 90

I picked the wrong server...

yeah :|

I looked at this before choosing a server
http://www.torstatus.net/

Chose The Fatman because it's the most populated PVP server on the East coast and has a good amount of people online from 1am-7am.

I was thinking about choosing Swiftsure but I didn't want latency issues since the fps isn't that great.

Tho I don't even know where the data centers are located at.

Alright for the past 10 minutes me and this guy I ran across in Belsavis decided to team up for area quests. Both of us have each crashed to desktop twice during this time. Before this I have never, ever had the game crash to desktop on me.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a probelm with this one specific area, or is the game just crashing wildly for people everywhere all of a sudden?

markatisu

The bonus series later on where you can go back to planets you did previously are nice as they are usually optional and give you something else to do rather than just the same old. Would have preferred if they did all the planet bonus series like that instead of some of them taking place right away when your about to leave

Yeah I did not like how as I got done Taris and was heading to my ship they basically said wait up we got a bunch MORE missions for you to do.

zlatko

Banned
Yeah I did not like how as I got done Taris and was heading to my ship they basically said wait up we got a bunch MORE missions for you to do.

You think Taris one is bad? Naw. Nar Shaddaa is horrible for the bonus series. Not only does it set it up as multi part, but the area is 30+ leveled mobs PLUS it's not standard level it's the silver/gold emblems. Think that's bad? Oh yeah let's make sure every quest you are given along the way for the bonus series is a heroic.

I think I started it at 27, got done at level 30, AND I didn't even do two of the missions, but once the bonus series was done I was like,"fuck this, I'm outtie." Considering how big of a walk in the park all of the missions are on that planet if you had wrapped up Taris and its bonus series, you come there over leveled, and then you are presented with just a ton of crap you are under leveled for.

I'm just lucky there was two random level 35's one day doing it that let me tag along, and then a guildie of level 37 helped me trudge through the rest the next day. I think it was a total of 4-5 hours to wrap it all up. :/

Enosh

Hm? That reads like you got hacked?
hmm might have been bad wording in hindsight

anyway did some ilum pvp today...
ugh, it's the definition of why I hate big open world pvp and prefer the arena style matchups
boring and pointless, everyone just stands in a line and now and then someone will either charge or get pulled to the other side, but well I get a bag out of kinda fast 30 kills so meh

You think Taris one is bad? Naw. Nar Shaddaa is horrible for the bonus series. Not only does it set it up as multi part, but the area is 30+ leveled mobs PLUS it's not standard level it's the silver/gold emblems. Think that's bad? Oh yeah let's make sure every quest you are given along the way for the bonus series is a heroic.

I think I started it at 27, got done at level 30, AND I didn't even do two of the missions, but once the bonus series was done I was like,"fuck this, I'm outtie." Considering how big of a walk in the park all of the missions are on that planet if you had wrapped up Taris and its bonus series, you come there over leveled, and then you are presented with just a ton of crap you are under leveled for.

I'm just lucky there was two random level 35's one day doing it that let me tag along, and then a guildie of level 37 helped me trudge through the rest the next day. I think it was a total of 4-5 hours to wrap it all up. :/

From that point on, ALL the bonus series quests are higher than the level range for the planet. So you pretty much have to come back later for all of them.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
hmm might have been bad wording in hindsight

anyway did some ilum pvp today...
ugh, it's the definition of why I hate big open world pvp and prefer the arena style matchups
boring and pointless, everyone just stands in a line and now and then someone will either charge or get pulled to the other side, but well I get a bag out of kinda fast 30 kills so meh
I still don't know what you mean by getting your acc back. lol.

usea

You're supposed to come back later, usually after the next planet. Why does it make you upset that you intentionally did quests that were too high? Even though you had a class quest of a lower level telling you to go elsewhere. I have a huge list of problems with this game, but this isn't one.

Ramirez

Finally finished the d/l and patching last night, logged on today to play for just a minute to check out my new PC. Going from 20 FPS and constant stuttering to 80 FPS+ is like someone just took my blinders off, feels good man.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Finally finished the d/l and patching last night, logged on today to play for just a minute to check out my new PC. Going from 20 FPS and constant stuttering to 80 FPS+ is like someone just took my blinders off, feels good man.
I can only do 40-60 fps with mostly low settings. :( Some 20 fps dips.

But yeah, constant 60 fps is so good.

gatti-man

Congrats. A beefy pc just makes everything better.

Ramirez

I can only do 40-60 fps with mostly low settings. :( Some 20 fps dips.

I know that feel bro. I NEVER got above 25 with my old PC, couldn't do heroics/flashpoints because my PC would just basically die and the game would start getting 2-3 seconds behind the action, lol.

hamchan

I'm really burnt out on this game so it's time to take a break for a week. I have to say, this is the most on-rails MMO I have ever played and maybe that's why I'm sick of it already.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm really burnt out on this game so it's time to take a break for a week. I have to say, this is the most on-rails MMO I have ever played and maybe that's why I'm sick of it already.

Yea I've got like 8 days left of my initial month and I'm having a hard time convincing myself to play anymore.

It doesn't really do anything *wrong* per say, it's just so dreadfully bland.

Macattk15

I got sick of playing my 50 Operative on a dead ass server (sub 75 on Imperial Fleet at all times) and rolled a Mercenary on Dark Reaper.

Fuck the population problems. I'll start over. I don't care.

Hm? Most MMO lately have all be incredibly linear. WoW originally gave you some choice of places to go level at, but over time it just became linear as well as they added to it. Most games now simply have one level zone for you to go to and then you move on. RIFT was very much the same direct patch of zones you took with no divergence. I think the whole traveling between planets thing makes it seem more linear than most as lot of other MMOs are set on a single area of a planet and you travel back and forth while leveling without the breaks of instances/loading

usea

Hm? Most MMO lately have all be incredibly linear. WoW originally gave you some choice of places to go level at, but over time it just became linear as well as they added to it. Most games now simply have one level zone for you to go to and then you move on. RIFT was very much the same direct patch of zones you took with no divergence. I think the whole traveling between planets thing makes it seem more linear than most as lot of other MMOs are set on a single area of a planet and you travel back and forth while leveling without the breaks of instances/loading
This is absolutely false. Aside from the first zones, you definitely have a choice of which zones to go on your way to the cap.

Varna

So are character and legacy names server specific? Shadowtown is pretty much dead and I'm really thinking about re rolling on a higher population server. The few I have tried had my name taken already... Not sure if it's because I'm already using it elsewhere though.

Fixed1979

Stil loving this game, up to lvl36 (I started a couple weeks later and I'm slow!) Any decrease in pop hasn't been totally noticed by me except it seems that the GAF guild is not quite as full as it used to be. I would thing that a small amount people who didn't re-sub when their 30 days were up might come back, but do you think there's any chance we might see anything more than a minimal increase when the first movie comes out in theaters next month?

Teknoman

Stil loving this game, up to lvl36 (I started a couple weeks later and I'm slow!) Any decrease in pop hasn't been totally noticed by me except it seems that the GAF guild is not quite as full as it used to be. I would thing that a small amount people who didn't re-sub when their 30 days were up might come back, but do you think there's any chance we might see anything more than a minimal increase when the first movie comes out in theaters next month?

Well there are still commercials coming on, advertisements in Gamestop (its still fairly new, just a month out), and like you said the 3D release of EP1... so hopefully it will. You guys are scaring me :p

Either way, its only been out around a month now.

Sokantish

There were way too many servers at the launch. They had a lower cap on the servers so that's why the queues were like 800 and then two weeks later there were no queues at all. They removed them later on, I'm pretty sure I remember reading a official post about it. Luckily I play on Fatman but sometimes I still think there aren't enough people online... but that's because I'm republic. Imperials outnumber us like crazy on there.

gatti-man

Well there are still commercials coming on, advertisements in Gamestop (its still fairly new, just a month out), and like you said the 3D release of EP1... so hopefully it will. You guys are scaring me :p

GAF is really really fickle and jaded to boot. Everyone i know thats casual IRL loves the game thats played it. Too many here are either burnt out on the wow formula or just have unrealistic expectations.

Am I missing any taxi points on this map? My taxi points are in 3 disjoint groups. It seems like the two at the top should be connected somehow, but they aren't.

Sh6HM.jpg

zlatko

Banned
You're supposed to come back later, usually after the next planet. Why does it make you upset that you intentionally did quests that were too high? Even though you had a class quest of a lower level telling you to go elsewhere. I have a huge list of problems with this game, but this isn't one.

Actually the bonus series itself, was not a problem, it was the fact it coupled on all those heroics as you were doing it out of your range. It seemed sloppily done imo. I'm fine with coming back for things later on when you are the appropriate level, gives you a reason to enjoy a world more, and not just hop in once and then bail out for good.

It was just a matter of how the entire planet once you come from Taris and have completed the bonus series there, made you over leveled for the core quests for Nar Shaddaa, and then the bonus series ends up being almost the right level for when you are about to leave the planet for Tatooine stuff, but then throws in quests over your level along the way. That just seems like poor design choices.

That's just my 2 pennies. Game has bigger issues than that, and that's only a minor annoyance at best when you think of its actual faults.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
GAF is really really fickle and jaded to boot. Everyone i know thats casual IRL loves the game thats played it. Too many here are either burnt out on the wow formula or just have unrealistic expectations.
That's called being ignorant. People that play wow for the first time in 2011 and 2012 don't know what issues they'll have with it at 85 same with this game's endgame. Loving something right this second and being ignorant about the future of your gameplay means nothing.

Aside from it being fresh, the reason people are paying for a second month of SWTOR and still playing WoW is because the good outweighs the bad.

But there will always be issues and things to improve and people will always talk about the it in the official threads on any forum.

If some of you can't handle negative discussion or personal frustrations with the game like a nerfs that pissed you off... sorry. It's the nature of the beast.

Top Bottom