• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

bjb

Banned
Casual in time investment, or casual as in "I'm a fucking retard, feed me loot so I feel good about myself"?

I have a big complaint with MMO game design catering to basement dwellers or total morons lately. What eventually started off as evolving towards the middle ground has become self-parody in these games.

Casual in time investment.

Both Operations can be cleared by you and seven others within an hour.

Given that they're on a one week timer, 2+ hours of raiding a week for Normal Mode upgrades isn't bad.

In regards to being a fucking moron and getting loot - it happens. Some of the fights are scaled so that if someone dies (a DPS for example) it's still very beatable.

I would imagine if the group has too many idiots, however, you likely won't accomplish much.

TheYanger

Really curious if it' even possible for them to fix lfg for heroics for servers that are slowly losing folks. A lot of heroics are not instanced, so multiserver lfg won't work...

Just let us be able to roll with our entire party ;)

havoc squad. move out.

Besides the Prison fp does
Revan
ever show up again? Does the jedi exile/kotor 2 main ever appear in this game? I know that he/she was mentioned by scourge.

Answers to both Qs:
Revan says he's going to the foundry in that cutscene...and he does, it's an empire FP and he's the boss there. As for the exile, you didn't pay enough attention: the Jedi Spirit that was haunting you and talking to you all through TaralV/Maelstrom, IS the exile. Revan tells you as much if you ask him

Really curious if it' even possible for them to fix lfg for heroics for servers that are slowly losing folks. A lot of heroics are not instanced, so multiserver lfg won't work...

Heroics mostly just aren't worth the effort, and from my little experience on the later planets there often just aren't enough people in the zone who are up for it even if you had the most brilliant matchmaking system in the world.

I'm surprised they haven't managed to add an official global LFG channel for FPs. How hard can that be, seriously?

TheYanger

Heroics mostly just aren't worth the effort, and from my little experience on the later planets there often just aren't enough people in the zone who are up for it even if you had the most brilliant matchmaking system in the world.

I'm surprised they haven't managed to add an official global LFG channel for FPs. How hard can that be, seriously?

Yep, none of this shit should be surprising. There's a reason Blizzard stopped putting Elite quests into levelling content years ago (There were a FEW in wrath, and none in Cata). It's content that basically cannot be consumed even by people that want to within a few weeks of the content releasing.

frequency

I think this would be decent, but I don't think I'd completely remove randomness from the equation. I think a decent amount of randomness is healthy for endgame gear, but finding the right balance can be difficult. For example, they could make different set pieces have different acquisition requirements, with the most sought after pieces (usually chest) coming from bags, but with lower rate than current. Or maybe have all of it come from commendations as you suggest, but then provide a way to "upgrade" gear via some sort of BoP material or commendation that only comes from bags. Something of that nature.

There is already randomness in PvP systems. It's "random" whether you win or lose (did you get in a good team or a bad one?). And how many commendations you'll get. And how much valour.

There're plenty of uncertainties already in the system. No one should ever end up with 5 chest pieces and 4 gloves and 6 boots.

Having your set is more important in PvP than PvE. You can be "carried" in PvE if you're slightly undergeared. You cannot be competitive in PvP if you're undergeared.

The bags can be re-purposed and used for less important things. Perhaps relics and implants and stuff like that.

Alex

The latter. I just did the last boss in EV and the first 4 in KP for the first time tonight (normal). Now, I'm a pretty god damn amazing wow player and I have tempered expectations of those around me, but holy shit were these fights easy. I'm NOT in a good pve guild in swtor. I'm in the kind of guild that MIGHT have cleared molten core back in vanilla wow. No boss took more than a wipe or two for them to figure out, and most of em I could see how they worked within moments of pulling. That's all well and dandy, but then execution wise...no dps check to speak of, no serious healing checks to speak of. The hard mode flashpoints are genuinely more intense and difficult. They drop the same levels of loot though so I guess it's fair.

Yeah, that's what I figured. That's cool for some folks, but for me I'm just not keen on the demands of proper raiding anymore but also don't consider having epics shoved down my throat to be engaging content. (Participating in LFR in WoW just disgusted me, I'm sure that'd be better with a same server community and some other social restrictions, but I still hate that branch of execution, personally)

Really would love something like... Legendary dungeons/flash points that really stomp on you and force you to play amazingly, easy wipes, demand certain setups (I never bought into the bring everyone for everything with no frills concept), etc or just other progression methods in general. That's becoming my wall for MMOs after all these years, that and lack of world content and saddling PvP with stupid shit.

TheYanger

The whole bag system is such a joke, I can't believe anyone defends it still. I stopped even being remotely excited about that shit after I got my 3rd gun, 3rd relic, 3rd helmet, 3rd belt, but still have ORANGE pants chests and gloves.

hamchan

Think I'm done. Never been into pvp so after finishing the story not much left to do. Got a lvl 50 guardian and a 49.5 assassin. Guess I could make another alt but 85%+ of the story would just be the same thing I've aready done.

Glad I played it but don't think MMOs are for me any more.
I'm done after this month too. Leveling a third alt and doing the shitty filler quests again for the third time sounds like torture to me. The legacy system is supposed to promote leveling alts so I hope they introduce a way to speed through the crappy quests so I can get to the class quests, then I'd resub. 99% sure they won't though since MMOs make their money by wasting your time as much as possible.

Alex

No Global LFG is indeed really dumb. Or even a rudimentary LFD system that just does some pairing on the same server.

I don't like what LFD did for WoW, but a lot of that was also caving in on design to make the game more appealing to a wider audience as it aged. They tried to recant on it at the Cata launch but pussed out pretty quick. Bioware doesn't have to do that and if they don't I'd be fine with LFD.

In a double walled game like this (by server then by faction) it's just a reality as time goes on that you'll need tools to keep people hitting those dungeons up. Might prolong it some with legacy and good design but as it ages it'll be required.

I wonder if FFXI is still a fluke in that regard, people always releveled so often in that game unlike any other MMO I've played. Might have something to do with the multi-class gig, which I really wish more games would use. I sure know I'd be more inspired to alt it up more than I do now.

bjb

Banned
Yeah, that's what I figured. That's cool for some folks, but for me I'm just not keen on the demands of proper raiding anymore but also don't consider having epics shoved down my throat to be engaging content. (Participating in LFR in WoW just disgusted me, I'm sure that'd be better with a same server community and some other social restrictions, but I still hate that branch of execution, personally).

Curious as to what you mean by demands for proper raiding.

Any good guild is going to require some level of competency. As far as the scheduling or environment - that just depends on the people.

For example, my guild is mostly comprised of older individuals; college students, married, and people with full time jobs.

We raid two nights a week (Sun/Mon), and it usually adds up to about six hours total - give or take depending on how bad we suck.

However, we've always managed to achieve high-end success (server firsts - heroics), while maintaining a "casual" schedule.

I can certainly see why people might be disenfranchised by raiding, as most decent guilds tend to be "hardcore", but that doesn't apply everywhere.

Mairu

The wow pvp gearing system is much better than the garbage rng loot bag system swtor has

Saturday maintenance is kind of weird

The wow pvp gearing system is much better than the garbage rng loot bag system swtor has

Saturday maintenance is kind of weird

Yea I agree. It was announced in a dev post on the forums earlier today, it said the maintenace will take 4 hours for "high priority issues" and then they will have another actual patch on tuesday. But it's pretty weird to have maintenance on a weekend when everyone expects to stay up late, so I suspect it's something important. Guess we'll see.

Ugh really wish they would've done this another night. My friend and have been having a blast leveling our alts on bonus missions alone. New quests, new stories, etc. Plus trying to duo the higher level heroics are a lot of fun. We were just about to hit up Alderaan bonus. :(

Izayoi

Banned
Ugh really wish they would've done this another night. My friend and have been having a blast leveling our alts on bonus missions alone. New quests, new stories, etc. Plus trying to duo the higher level heroics are a lot of fun. We were just about to hit up Alderaan bonus. :(
Better a few hours of downtime than dozens more clowns with hundreds of millions of credits running around ruining the economy, right?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Our guild was running the KP op. :/

Had that stupid rancor down to 900 health and our remaining standing guy ended up eating it so we wiped, lol.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Damn, I was in the middle of cutscene. Hopefully I don't have to reset the quest. Already had to do that once tonight and it reset me all the way to the beginning of the quest chain.

I find it curious that they actually disabled forum posting right before the patch went up. Really makes me wonder what they're patching.

BTW, is there any way to change your time zone on that fucking official forum? Every single post is showing in what appears to be GMT and I can't find a way to change it.

Mairu

I find it curious that they actually disabled forum posting right before the patch went up. Really makes me wonder what they're patching.

BTW, is there any way to change your time zone on that fucking official forum? Every single post is showing in what appears to be GMT and I can't find a way to change it.

I'm pretty sure they've disabled forum posting every single time they've done maintenance

Answers to both Qs:
Revan says he's going to the foundry in that cutscene...and he does, it's an empire FP and he's the boss there. As for the exile, you didn't pay enough attention: the Jedi Spirit that was haunting you and talking to you all through TaralV/Maelstrom, IS the exile. Revan tells you as much if you ask him

oh shit... so Revan goes down huh. No wonder I keep hearing ppl whining about how OP he is.

God damn people chatting on gaf guild makes it hard to pay attention to dialog =(

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
oh shit... so goes down huh. No wonder I keep hearing ppl whining about how OP he is.

God damn people chatting on gaf guild makes it hard to pay attention to dialog =(

He spoiler tagged his post for a reason.

Lain

I've had my chat font size reset to 14 from 12, the companion action bar go back to the default middle position from the left position, the secondary chat window move from the far right position on the screen to the middle position enough times in the last few days that I've started to wonder why this happens.
Anyone has any idea what could cause that and/or how it can be fixed?

Yaska

The patch notes are up. All they say is that the patch is meant to reduce disconnects on the character select screen.

And this was a smart patch to bring out during saturday afternoon?

hamchan

The patch notes are up. All they say is that the patch is meant to reduce disconnects on the character select screen.

There are probably some hidden changes they haven't disclosed in their patch notes. Which is really annoying.

Seriously?

Terrible if it was just for this.

Did kaon under siege on HM last night, the first boss area the turret dissapeared so we had to do it without it.

Yaska

1.1.0c Patch Notes - 1/28/2012

General

Improved service to reduce the number of player disconnections to the character selection screen.
Is what launcher is giving me.

Edit: Twitter just tweeted that servers are up.

After weeks of hearing the same thing without anything constructive ever being suggested, it becomes whining.

Couldn't the same be said about your constant need to tell people they're not being constructive but are instead whining?

That shit gets old too, hell I'm already tired of it and I've only seen you post it on the last 3 pages. It's actually way more annoying than the people talking about lack of features (which I don't even find annoying at all).

Had that alot yesterday and had guildies who were taking forever to log on because of the random disconnects going on since last patch

Tess3ract

Banned
Anybody seen a Magenta color crystal in action? There is a few of them up on the GTN for 240k and I'm tempted, I have the credits.

swtor2012-01-2208-01-5vkqy.jpg

cametall

The Empire population on Darth Malak feels like it dipped considerably from where it was a couple weeks ago. Fleet doesn't feel like the big hub it was.

Seems to be a mix of not resubbing and some PvP guilds changing to Republic.

I can't find any groups to Black Talon on my alt or Colicoid on my main... (tank and healer).

Top Bottom