• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Fixed1979

Okay guys, TOR GAF is ready to go. There's a section for all four GAF guilds (visible once you register) so feel free to use it for scheduling and such.

Registered.

I think my gfx card is almost done, I've had quite a few total crashes and it's really starting to sound like a jet plane. Done for the night after 5 back to back CTD's, which I don't think are card related =/

iammeiam

So I thought I'd finish act one of the Imperial Agent story today. Then I ran into the boss at the end, managed to lock myself into a story path that requires combat and I can't reset prior to, and freaking
Darth Jadus
is bugged and requires either kiting or standing literally on top of to do damage. This fight is a massive difficulty spike for me, for some reason, that I'm just not effectively coping with. So I ragequit and will probably wind up overleveling and coming back to later. Pity, as I was really enjoying the story build-up to that point.

CzarTim

He needs to have .com forward to http://torgaf.com/forum/index.php or whatever they do.
The DNS might need to update for your ISP. Works for me. Let me know if there's still trouble in a few days.

Awesome thanks Czar! This should help, btw, should we put our Mumble info somewhere as well? May help get others on it
Officers for each guild will be a mod for their section. Feel free to make stickies for whatever you feel is needed.

Tess3ract

Banned
So I thought I'd finish act one of the Imperial Agent story today. Then I ran into the boss at the end, managed to lock myself into a story path that requires combat and I can't reset prior to, and freaking
Darth Jadus
is bugged and requires either kiting or standing literally on top of to do damage. This fight is a massive difficulty spike for me, for some reason, that I'm just not effectively coping with. So I ragequit and will probably wind up overleveling and coming back to later. Pity, as I was really enjoying the story build-up to that point.
Just get someone to help you kill him.

xeris

Darth Jadus

The way I did it was grabbed a healer with a melee tank (thanks Azura) to beat him down. If you're on KV and see either Xeris or Kelzor on shoot me a tell and I'll help you run it.

squidyj

Darth Jadus

Yeah that fight was a massive PITA for my sniper too, I found that once I had it started I could get away from him but still. I used a lot of the tricks at my disposal. knockback, interrupt, stun, mez. I had Kaliyo tanking for me. It was tough but I got it done in 4 shots, 3 kills and 1 wipe (yeah, you gotta beat him 3 times).

squidyj

So I decided I didn't want to main Thaddaeus (Merc). I can never make up my mind, if I want to get Daedaron, my sniper invited, should I make a thread in the Empire Keller's void forum on torgaf?

Darth Jadus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJURUfauKjs

should help.

Havok

A quick Trooper question - is Full Auto kind of worthless most of the time or am I just not using it correctly? I'm a Vanguard, so I'm the target for most enemies and it seems like their combined shots reduce the channel time so much that I may as well not bother casting it. Its basically only useful to me right after a stun at this point.

daoster

We were doing PVP on Ilum today, and seriously....Sorcs were spamming the lightning attack -_- Half the Imps on Ilum PVPing were Sorcs.

Also...is this a bug, or am I just stupid ? I changed my key bindings for target from Tab to "T", but whenever I try to target, it's not working...

I think my gfx card is almost done, I've had quite a few total crashes and it's really starting to sound like a jet plane. Done for the night after 5 back to back CTD's, which I don't think are card related =/

I've been getting really irritated with how often my graphics freeze up and refresh. No other games does it to me... and it happens 4-5 times an hour sometimes. I'm just running a single 470... anyone have any advice on what I should shut off besides shadows without turning it into clay models mode? Or am I just fucked to be in misery the entire time I try to play this game?

Ken

A quick Trooper question - is Full Auto kind of worthless most of the time or am I just not using it correctly? I'm a Vanguard, so I'm the target for most enemies and it seems like their combined shots reduce the channel time so much that I may as well not bother casting it. Its basically only useful to me right after a stun at this point.

As a 50 Vanguard, I only used Full Auto before advancing into a Vanguard. Once you start getting your main attack skills (Stock strike, Ion Pulse, and High Impact Bolt) you don't need much else.

CAW

While finishing up some quests on tatooine, an artifact earpiece dropped and it was something I could actually use. Had strength, endurance and crit - sweet!

Not even five minutes later I went to cash in my extra commendations and well... here's the convo I had in general chat (my marauder's name is Tyrannical):

BdSPE.png

Unbelievable.

Kinan

So,um, is EU Tomb of Freedon Nadd Republic GAF guild alive? Can't find anyone from the officer's list in OP online. Who can invite me and my friend?

The way I did it was grabbed a healer with a melee tank (thanks Azura) to beat him down. If you're on KV and see either Xeris or Kelzor on shoot me a tell and I'll help you run it.

NP, was fun!

I remember you saying there were issues targeting him or something, I think all the end chapter bosses are tough fights, I barely won mine most of the time.

when do you start need a legit healer and tank in flashpoints? who level as a healer or tank at low levels without a dungeon finder?

As someone who hasn't played an MMO except an afternoon off of a free month trial in WoW before TOR, what's a dungeon finder? Fast travel directly to dungeons?

I rolled as a healer with my trooper/commando full combat medic path (low 30's) and bounty hunter/mercenary full bodyguard path (low 20's). If it came down to it, I could do some hefty dps, more so than glowstick wielders I pugged with up to that point.

As someone who hasn't played an MMO except an afternoon off of a free month trial in WoW before TOR, what's a dungeon finder? Fast travel directly to dungeons?

I rolled as a healer with my trooper/commando full combat medic path (low 30's) and bounty hunter/mercenary full bodyguard path (low 20's). If it came down to it, I could do some hefty dps, more so than glowstick wielders I pugged with up to that point.

A dungeon finder generally lets you set some kind of server-wide indication that you're looking to team up with other people for a specific dungeon. Other people can then use this search tool to easily locate you and invite you to a group. The way it is now, the best you can do is shout in Fleet that you're looking for a group, but obviously only the people in Fleet will see that, not any of the hundreds of other people playing in other areas of the game.

Sort of, WoW's in dungeon finder you chose what instances you wanted to do, hit a looking for group button and chose what role you wanted (tank, healer, dps) and it would auto-group you with others and teleport you to the dungeon.

DF's have their advantages and disadvantages. It reduces wait times and standing around spamming a LFG/General chat channel. It also means you don't really get to know your party members and introduces some issues like dealing with people that have no clue wtf they are doing or are not prepared for whatever instance you are running, something that could be avoided without a DF.

Tacitus_

DF's have their advantages and disadvantages. It reduces wait times and standing around spamming a LFG/General chat channel. It also means you don't really get to know your party members and introduces some issues like dealing with people that have no clue wtf they are doing or are not prepared for whatever instance you are running, something that could be avoided without a DF.

People not being prepared for a dungeon or not knowing what they're supposed to do will always exist in a pug group, DF or no.

Snipers are garbage in the 50 pvp bracket, wondering what would come 1st. Bioware waking up and balancing them or myself leveling a Sorc or BH to 50 :(

Hixx

So,um, is EU Tomb of Freedon Nadd Republic GAF guild alive? Can't find anyone from the officer's list in OP online. Who can invite me and my friend?

Queues in the first 2 weeks killed it. I ended up ditching a character with 2 days played because it got to the point where I couldn't get on to play. People that wanted to play together were having to idle so friends who were waiting in 2-5 hour queues could get in...

Such a shame.

Moaradin

I tried playing Operative DPS in a Warzone for the first time at level 50. Holy shit, now I know that anyone that complained about their burst was pre-50. I was hardly doing any damage to anyone after the initial burst. Pretty much all my encounters went like this:

1. Open up someone and get someone down to 60% health.
2. Precede to get kited to death as I have no way to catch anyone once I'm out in the open.

Good thing I primarily play a healer. I feel bad for any DPS Operatives after the nerf.

frequency

I tried playing Operative DPS in a Warzone for the first time at level 50. Holy shit, now I know that anyone that complained about their burst was pre-50. I was hardly doing any damage to anyone after the initial burst. Pretty much all my encounters went like this:

1. Open up someone and get someone down to 60% health.
2. Precede to get kited to death as I have no way to catch anyone once I'm out in the open.

Good thing I primarily play a healer. I feel bad for any DPS Operatives after the nerf.

1. Are you a fresh 50 and/or not very well geared? Any class/spec should take a bit of time to learn to play. If this is your first time DPSing, you can't expect to be super awesome from the get go.
2. There's kiting in this game? The class most capable of kiting seems to be the Sage/Sorc, but with the long CDs they have, they can't really do it for any length of time while outputting actual worthwhile damage.

1. Are you a fresh 50 and/or not very well geared? Any class/spec should take a bit of time to learn to play. If this is your first time DPSing, you can't expect to be super awesome from the get go.
2. There's kiting in this game? The class most capable of kiting seems to be the Sage/Sorc, but with the long CDs they have, they can't really do it for any length of time while outputting actual worthwhile damage.

Most range classes can kite, just to an extent. I would say FU to the game if any class could kite non stop with no one ever able to get in their range. But most range classes will want to kite as much as they can to reduce incoming damage

frequency

Most range classes can kite, just to an extent. I would say FU to the game if any class could kite non stop with no one ever able to get in their range. But most range classes will want to kite as much as they can to reduce incoming damage

You can slow people down for a bit and stop them for a bit, but I don't think that's kiting really (although I guess it is "just to an extent" as you say). When I think about kiting, I think about hunters or frost mages in WoW. They can literally just keep moving untouched while doing significant damage to less experienced players.

In this game, you can burn all your stuff and it'll be all on CD. Then you can't really kite anymore. At least not alone. If other people are helping out, then you can be mezzed/snared 100% of the time. But then 2v1 is a different story.

I don't think any of the ranged classes in this game can kite and keep up the damage at the same time. And they can't kite for extended periods of time like in other games.

Moaradin

I have full columi gear. I have years of hardcore raiding experience in WoW so class knowledge is something that comes pretty easily. I understand my survivability will definitely be improved with PVP gear, but doesn't PVE gear generally have better DPS stats? My gear has a 40% crit chance and 85% crit damage. If I do pitiful damage in full PVE set gear, It's probably even lower in PVP gear. The main problem with the class that I see is their mobility though, and no gear will help that. They have a hard time staying on their target, and their stuns and CC are pretty bad. They also have no gap closer.

The only thing they relied on was their opening burst on people with no PVP gear. Now that people are level 50 and have their PVP mitigation, they hardly even have that anymore.

You can slow people down for a bit and stop them for a bit, but I don't think that's kiting really (although I guess it is "just to an extent" as you say). When I think about kiting, I think about hunters or frost mages in WoW. They can literally just keep moving untouched while doing significant damage to less experienced players.

In this game, you can burn all your stuff and it'll be all on CD. Then you can't really kite anymore. At least not alone. If other people are helping out, then you can be mezzed/snared 100% of the time. But then 2v1 is a different story.

I don't think any of the ranged classes in this game can kite and keep up the damage at the same time. And they can't kite for extended periods of time like in other games.

Most MMOs are more melee oriented, majority of the class builds in this game are largely ranged specs. Most of the melee users feel like they are at a huge disadvantage already in this game compared to the ranged classes, and if the range users could kite stronger, it would make things worse. It would also make pvp more of a CC nightmare than it already can be.

I have full columi gear. I have years of hardcore raiding experience in WoW so class knowledge is something that comes pretty easily. I understand my survivability will definitely be improved with PVP gear, but doesn't PVE gear generally have better DPS stats? My gear has a 40% crit chance and 85% crit damage. If I do pitiful damage in full PVE set gear, It's probably even lower in PVP gear. The main problem with the class that I see is their mobility though, and no gear will help that. They have a hard time staying on their target, and their stuns and CC are pretty bad. They also have no gap closer.

The only thing they relied on was their opening burst on people with no PVP gear. Now that people are level 50 and have their PVP mitigation, they hardly even have that anymore.

One on one is up in the air, but their best use is those sneak attacks when in groups. Best Ops,Scoundrels I've seen basically wait for a battle to happen, then they pop out and basically finish the fight. One on one I've lost to good ops and scoundrels who get in their crits, but realy think they shine the best going in and out of stealth and basically picking off dudes in battles.

Tacitus_

Most MMOs are more melee oriented, majority of the class builds in this game are largely ranged specs. Most of the melee users feel like they are at a huge disadvantage already in this game compared to the ranged classes, and if the range users could kite stronger, it would make things worse. It would also make pvp more of a CC nightmare than it already can be.

I love how snares and roots give absolutely no resolve whatsoever. 6s root is about as good as a hard lockout for a melee character. Oh and how Sorcs have a sprint, an aoe knockback and roots AND their main attack snares you.

frequency

I have full columi gear. I have years of hardcore raiding experience in WoW so class knowledge is something that comes pretty easily. I understand my survivability will definitely be improved with PVP gear, but doesn't PVE gear generally have better DPS stats? If I do pitiful damage in full PVE set gear, It's probably even lower in PVP gear. The main problem with the class that I see is their mobility though, and no gear will help that. They have a hard time staying on their target, and their stuns and CC are pretty bad.

Expertise is a pretty important stat. In this game, it not only decreases damage from players, it also increases your damage (and healing) on other players. Someone with same level gear but with more allocated to expertise (i.e. PVP gear) should do significantly better in PVP than you in PVE gear.
I'm not doubting your skill level or anything, but it still takes time to learn I think. I've been playing MMOs for a long time too, in both PVE and PVP and I've never met anyone who can go out with a new spec on the first day and "get it". It takes practice for everything.

But I agree, on a 1vMany situation, it's really hard to stay on your target.

I think everyone agrees that DPS Ops have issues. But the burst is a problem. BioWare needs to tune up the other aspects of the class and perhaps give them more utility and mobility. Staying an opener-only class is not a good thing.
In most cases, having a 40% life advantage is huge.

What I notice most Ops/Soundrels do in WZ is just pick off people who are already at like half health.

One on one is up in the air, but their best use is those sneak attacks when in groups. Best Ops,Scoundrels I've seen basically wait for a battle to happen, then they pop out and basically finish the fight. One on one I've lost to good ops and scoundrels who get in their crits, but realy think they shine the best going in and out of stealth and basically picking off dudes in battles.

They are pretty sneaky on ilum, had a few start attacking me when im in the mdidle of grabbing an armament.

Anyone play this on a Macbook pro? Wondering how it plays through bootcamp or parallels

I love how snares and roots give absolutely no resolve whatsoever. 6s root is about as good as a hard lockout for a melee character.

Yea snares and roots should count but at the same time if they did, games of Huttball would be ending super quick. Course thats not a bad thing. I would kinda prefer that long lasting CC abilities would continually add resolve or add more resolve than certain other abilities. You can get hit sometimes with two very long stuns and you still have a sliver berfore your resolve bar is filled which really is annoying.

Tacitus_

Yea snares and roots should count but at the same time if they did, games of Huttball would be ending super quick. Course thats not a bad thing. I would kinda prefer that long lasting CC abilities would continually add resolve or add more resolve than certain other abilities. You can get hit sometimes with two very long stuns and you still have a sliver berfore your resolve bar is filled which really is annoying.

Like you said, Huttball ending quicker would be a bonus. And that stun combo thing is goddamn annoying.

What I notice most Ops/Soundrels do in WZ is just pick off people who are already at like half health.

They don't even need to wait for half damage. In any fight they jump into out of stealth making it 2 to 1, they are going to win the battle for their side with the damage they are going to put in. They make excellent finishers. Our guild pvp night I would take my tank spec and always had our op stealthed nearby. Any time someone engaged me, bam the op would strike and the person was down right quick, and back to stealth he goes for the next target as we just would rake up tons of kills. All the enemy team can do is try to aoe around you to hopefully hit anyone stealthed waiting to strike, but any good op is going to keep their distance waiting for the kill

Like you said, Huttball ending quicker would be a bonus. And that stun combo thing is goddamn annoying.

Wonder if perhaps reducing the resolve gains on CC abilities currently in game, while adding resolve adds to snares and roots would improve things.

Top Bottom