• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Arcteryx

My 2008 MacBook Pro runs it on low settings. Game runs like shit regardless of what machine you play it on.

bummer

I got it running on my gf's '07 MBP (256MB 8600MGT), and with shadows off/everything low, we were able to get a pretty steady 30-40 fps (outside of the fleet). Warzones/normal questing were perfectly fine, even Illum was ok to some extent.

Was actually pretty surprised (granted, not as good performance as WoW, but different beasts); only real downside was performance degraded pretty fast (2-3hrs it got VERY hot and performance was cut in half/choppy). Restart fixed it, but annoying.

tl;dr: it's do-able, but they still have a LONG way to go inorder to optimize the game for older systems (newer too ;), to some extent)

Mastamind

/cjoin LFG
/cjoin Globallfg
/cjoin Mastalfg
/cjoin worldchannelnamegoeshere

Your lfg channel has been created, just tell others to join it.
Edit: I made the one on my server 'Globallfg'. Pretty easy actually spammed the zone i was in then flew to the fleet to do then same and had my guild join as well. And surprisingly it actually gets used.

Pennybags

/cjoin LFG
/cjoin Globallfg
/cjoin Mastalfg
/cjoin worldchannelnamegoeshere

Your lfg channel has been created, just tell others to join it.
Edit: I made the one on my server 'Globallfg'. Pretty easy actually spammed the zone i was in then flew to the fleet to do then same and had my guild join as well. And surprisingly it actually gets used.

Something has been bugging me. Created channels, what is the command to remove them, if you know?

Edit: Nevermind, /cleave works for empty created channels I guess.

zlatko

Banned
A little bit into 15.

I think I'm in the same level chunk. I just started up the quest for the Revanites in the south west part of the map, and found one heroic quest where you need 25 of something.

What's weird though is it isn't labeled heroic, but all the enemies are the gold symbol next to them meaning you need a group to come out on top since it's usually 3 at once.

I'll try to catch you tonight for that, or a new flashpoint I got from the fleet.

Eh, useless guide. But then again I figured it would be. All they do is explain all the settings and then say "close all your background programs and disable Windows Aero".

The Windows Aero optimiation actually actually has no effect if you're running in fullscreen mode btw

lol there was a guide part? They pretty much just copy pasted all the tool tips from the in game settings and called it a guide.

I was more interested in the pleasant comments.

Izayoi

Banned
Still no explanation about what the different AA settings do. I think low is just MSAA while high does Supersampling, but I can't be sure.

Zafir

Typical of Bioware.

If only that guide actually helped. I drop down to 5FPS in Ilum regardless of my graphical settings, be it high or low. Not to mention it isn't even fully utilising my CPU or GPU during that time.

Typical of Bioware.

If only that guide actually helped. I drop down to 5FPS in Ilum regardless of my graphical settings, be it high or low. Not to mention it isn't even fully utilising my CPU or GPU during that time.

There's probably nothing you can do about that, as that bottleneck is almost certainly on the server.

Tacitus_

Just cleared six bosses on hard mode. They were pretty easy, all things considered (some of our raid still as many green items as they did tionese epics). 4/5 EV and 2 bosses from Karagga.
Didn't even encounter too many bugs (because we skipped Soa, lol). Only noticeable one was Gharj bugging out on our first try by sinking the wrong island which caused us to wipe since we were all on autodrive going to the new island until we noticed that the new island was sinking, not the old one.

bjb

Banned
Just cleared six bosses on hard mode. They were pretty easy, all things considered (some of our raid still as many green items as they did tionese epics). 4/5 EV and 2 bosses from Karagga.
Didn't even encounter too many bugs (because we skipped Soa, lol). Only noticeable one was Gharj bugging out on our first try by sinking the wrong island which caused us to wipe since we were all on autodrive going to the new island until we noticed that the new island was sinking, not the old one.

I"m assuming you're doing 8 man then.

16m HM / NM is full of bugs.

Tacitus_

Yeah, 8m. Our TOR guild is an offshoot of the WoW guild and some people still raid WoW primarily. We might be able to get a 16m if all the stars aligned, but fuck that. Today was scrappy enough.

moop1167

Wow wtf? I can't even load the game up all of a sudden. As the game is loading, it restarted my entire computer. Then I tried again, and I got sound and just a black screen.

What the hell? I was just playing yesterday.

CzarTim

I cannot for the life of me get the 5k heal medal in a WZ. I have the power rat. adrenaline and a relic and still cap out at ~4k.

StUnNeR H2K

Anyone else dealing with this on their server?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzqrAv4U_N8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L3hh3VWJWA

Kill trading in Ilum? I've found this going on a couple times and it's really shameful that people will farm valor just huddling up together for kills. Those two videos are from the same day, same group farming valor/kills all day in Ilum. Obviously this is a much faster way to reach Battlemaster, since you can get up to 200 valor a kill. Also makes it difficult for those of us who want to play on a server where Republic are short on supply already, then you come to find they just want easy Valor instead of actually playing the game.

The group is usually in a cave doing it, since it's obviously something they don't want people seeing.

TheYanger

There's probably nothing you can do about that, as that bottleneck is almost certainly on the server.

I thought you said you were a programmer of some sort? The server in a 15 v 15 ilum battle is not bottlenecked, nor is it going to have ANY effect on your local framerate. The engine is just garbage.

hamchan

Anyone else dealing with this on their server?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzqrAv4U_N8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L3hh3VWJWA

Kill trading in Ilum? I've found this going on a couple times and it's really shameful that people will farm valor just huddling up together for kills. Those two videos are from the same day, same group farming valor/kills all day in Ilum. Obviously this is a much faster way to reach Battlemaster, since you can get up to 200 valor a kill. Also makes it difficult for those of us who want to play on a server where Republic are short on supply already, then you come to find they just want easy Valor instead of actually playing the game.

The group is usually in a cave doing it, since it's obviously something they don't want people seeing.

Such a beautiful sight, Empire and Republic working together. The war is over, peace for the galaxy.

Anyways it's up to Bioware to find a way to make people actually want to fight each other lol.

Tess3ract

Banned
No they are static and weird, made a little vid. Notice how it never changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0MrJ...2R8Hp-ZRBIBvZh
This is exactly what I was talking about. Changing the LOD makes this more apparent and it's ugly.

I was doing hard mode 8 man on gharj and we jumped on an island, and it wasn't until like 25% that we had to move to a new island. What happened is a platform came up, and the path dropped down, but our current platform we were on wasn't shaking so we never left. Then that other platform sunk, and around 25% the one we were on FINALLY started shaking so we changed over. We beat the enrage timer pretty fast.

Also when he summoned adds, they ran across the lava from the other platform we never had to go to, loll

Francois424

Neo Member
I wonder what the population before and after the free month ended for this game was and is. I remember when Aion launched, literally the day after free play ended the server was emptied like the world had ended.

Server Nathema used to be rolling very well... Then it died. I mean there was 2 ppl at the Republic Fleet last wednesday, and one of them was me. My best explanation is that (like me) ppl chose this server to escape the 30+min queues that were present at first. Since they are no longer present, everyone moved back with their friends or on the most populated servers.

Server "The Harbringer" (sp?) is always full nowadays. Friday there was 110 ppl ON TYTHON ! And constant 200 at the fleet. Coruscant was up to like 125 as well. I was planning to stay on it, but then I learned from the friendly australians there that they would all be moving on Oceanic servers when Bioware opens them up around march-april. That's too bad, because this should be how populated every server is. So much fun; Flashpoints in less than 2min (I got turned down often because of full groups). This was the best server I had the chance to try yet <3 Australians.

Now on to my 3rd server, KAAS CITY, which goes from 50-125ppl at the fleet and had 50 last night around 03h15am.
I really hope I don't have to hop again, as my friends are getting tired of following me around and they don't use the GTN to make money so they don't care about population.

Hopefully, Bioware will merge servers, and the sooner the better.

I won't make a difference, almost everyone has DX9. If you're on XP you have it by default, if you're on W7/Vista, then chances are high Steam has put DX9 on your PC since there are quite a few games that won't run under DX10/DX11 running as DX9.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Not sure if I have it. Installed wow and swtor only on a new W7 notebook.

But I'm pretty sure the swtor disc installed dx, seems like it could have been 9.

I thought you said you were a programmer of some sort? The server in a 15 v 15 ilum battle is not bottlenecked, nor is it going to have ANY effect on your local framerate. The engine is just garbage.

You know the "engine" runs on both the client and the server right?

It only looks like it's 15 v 15 to you, Ilum itself (and all the instances within a single server's Ilum shard) are probably hosted on the same machine or set of physical machines.

Obviously it will have an effect on your framerate if the client is WAITING to get certain messages back from the server before it can do something, and because of the server's shitty ENGINE it takes a long time to respond.. Furthermore, it's possible that the server is (stupidly) sending information to your client about players that are not in your Ilum instance.

"The engine is just garbage" - Yes, agreed. It still looks to me like the issue is with the portion of the engine that runs on the server.

The fact of the matter is, Ilum is a highly populated area, and Ilum experiences the worst performance degredation. This is an immediate hint that the server cannot handle the number of the people that are in the area. It's getting too many requests to respond in a reasonable amount of time to every client. Keep in mind that the client and the server have to stay in sync with each other, otherwise you get what's called a desync. If the server is under load and going slow, the client can go slow too.

Obviously none of us know 100%, but yes my educated guess is that the Ilum server experiences significantly more load than other servers and that affects your client's framerate.

http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/p38lx/official_tip_on_vastly_improving_your_framerate/

oh, that's where the whole dx9 thingie came from.

So how is this package different from the one that every single game installs on your machine?

You can blame Microsoft for this one, but DirectX 9 has about 100 different versions of some minor utility library that contains various types of helper functions like math etc. This is the reason EVERY SINGLE GAME has to install DirectX even if you already have it installed. You can see this by going to install any steam game. It always go through a phase where it's installing DirectX and then you can go into the install folder and see some dx*.dll files in there.

So the result is every single game has to install its own copy of these DirectX libraries or risk not working correctly.

Milly79

bummer

I got it running on my gf's '07 MBP (256MB 8600MGT), and with shadows off/everything low, we were able to get a pretty steady 30-40 fps (outside of the fleet). Warzones/normal questing were perfectly fine, even Illum was ok to some extent.

Was actually pretty surprised (granted, not as good performance as WoW, but different beasts); only real downside was performance degraded pretty fast (2-3hrs it got VERY hot and performance was cut in half/choppy). Restart fixed it, but annoying.

tl;dr: it's do-able, but they still have a LONG way to go inorder to optimize the game for older systems (newer too ;), to some extent)

Really? I have a late-08 Macbook with everything off and a lot of system tweaks. I'm decent in the fleet, except around the GTN. A lot of indoor areas lag a lot and I have to look to the ground, so I haven't given Warzones a chance. Ilum is pretty bad in the center. It's almost a slideshow... Installing those DX9 files to see if it gives any difference. Just seems to me you sound like you're getting better preformance out of a computer that is a year older than mine. :(

Alex

I only have actual framerate issues to the point of annoyance on the Fleet (I haven't done anything on Illum or whatever yet), it's so inconsistent though, it bounces so often from seemingly nothing. Nice looking game but not so nice for a lot of the performance oddities I get.

I assume part of the issue is the iffy engine but I have to assume there's some bug going around too if people with better rigs than me are getting 20 FPS in just 8v8 Warzones. I get 40-60 most of the time in them on mine (i5 4.2 GHZ, GTX 460) with everything cranked to max.

Shame, I like a lot of the world and character art. Don't really get why they didn't just make their own engine at EA for this, seems like with the money spent and the type of project you wouldn't wanna chip in on a new, third party piece of work unless I'm misunderstanding something.

You can blame Microsoft for this one, but DirectX 9 has about 100 different versions of some minor utility library that contains various types of helper functions like math etc. This is the reason EVERY SINGLE GAME has to install DirectX even if you already have it installed. You can see this by going to install any steam game. It always go through a phase where it's installing DirectX and then you can go into the install folder and see some dx*.dll files in there.

So the result is every single game has to install its own copy of these DirectX libraries or risk not working correctly.

ahhh. ok. I guess I'll try this out. It can't hurt.

markatisu

Yup, I had to install a specific version of DirectX to get DC Online to work, so it is conceivable the distribution shipped with SWTOR is missing some things

Note that people who say it does work are only reporting like a 5-15fps change so its not like it performs a miracle

I think the overall issues still lie with the engine, they were able to get better performance on the fleet by doing something so probably with each patch we might see some better performance

SleazyC

On my Early 2011 MBP I get terrible fps in the fleet, in warzones, and in flashpoints. This is with all settings to low and shadows off. Pretty much don't even try to play on my laptop anymore because its pretty difficult to do anything that involves 5 or more characters on screen.

Top Bottom