• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Mastamind

Would be nice if when the resolve bar was completely filled you'd break out of any current cc or at least not have the bar tick down until you're out of the cc.

No need to reduce the resolve for CC.. the game has too much CC as it is.

Thing is the amount of snares/roots going on is going to have the resolve bar basically instant filling in any battle in pvp. Adding snares and such to the resolve bar adds is going to really make resolve bar always white. Too much cc gets annoying, but at the same time making resolve fill to fast essentially would remove cc from the game which really would screw various builds. As much as people hate CC, you simply can't remove it from the game either.

Speeding up resolve bar fills would be helpful though as right now it takes too long

Would be nice if when the resolve bar was completely filled you'd break out of any current cc or at least not have the bar tick down until you're out of the cc.

Yes this. Resolve filling should be an instant CC breaker

Tacitus_

Yeah... if you manage to get the "2 stuns and resolve not full" combo, you can still get stunned for 6 seconds if you don't have your breaker up. The PVP seems to be a complete after thought in this game.

Thing is the amount of snares/roots going on is going to have the resolve bar basically instant filling in any battle in pvp. Too much cc gets annoying, but at the same time making resolve fill to fast essentially would remove cc from the game which really would screw various builds. As much as people hate CC, you simply can't remove it from the game either.

Speeding up resolve bar fills would be helpful though as right now it takes too long

Snares probably wouldn't need resolve fillup for various reasons, but roots most definitely need to build resolve, at least for melee characters.

Emitan

They are pretty sneaky on ilum, had a few start attacking me when im in the mdidle of grabbing an armament.

Anyone play this on a Macbook pro? Wondering how it plays through bootcamp or parallels

My 2008 MacBook Pro runs it on low settings. Game runs like shit regardless of what machine you play it on.

CAW

I think my PSU is on the outs so no SWTOR for a few days, sadly. On a good note, last night I finished up the Marauder act 1. Well, I didn't finish it but I ended up getting the companion right after Alderaan and I gotta say I loved how it all unfolded. Definitely enjoying that class storyline so far.

I hope the next acts are just as good, if not better.

Draxal

My Fix for scoundrels/ops and sorcs/sages.

Raise the cd for force speed to 2 mins.

Have assassins/shadows reduce the cd of force speed back to 30 seconds when they select that class's ac.

Give scoundrels/ops a force speed equivalent that's trainable.

My 2008 MacBook Pro runs it on low settings. Game runs like shit regardless of what machine you play it on.

Im on a gtx 570 and game runs great for the most part, only place it still performs poorly is in fleet.

I think my PSU is on the outs so no SWTOR for a few days, sadly. On a good note, last night I finished up the Marauder act 1. Well, I didn't finish it but I ended up getting the companion right after Alderaan and I gotta say I loved how it all unfolded. Definitely enjoying that class storyline so far.

I hope the next acts are just as good, if not better.

Act 2 was kind of boring, but the start of Act 3 is epic

gatti-man

I have many computers. My desktop is at 3.4 Ghz

My client runs pretty good besides the occasional stutter. 15v15 illum runs fine. 3.5ghz i7 480gtx in sli. However i dont run shadows. They are ugly and cause slowdown during illum battles. 8xaa 16af 2560x1600 -2.5lod

Dunlop

when do you start need a legit healer and tank in flashpoints? who level as a healer or tank at low levels without a dungeon finder?

This was one of my brightest points with this game (to counterbalance my MANY complaints...mostly ui)

I levelled the entire game as a healer and had absolutely no problem progressing through any content. I had a tanking companing for most of the time.

I love this system and it actually has a hope of training healers and tanks how to play their class while leveling through the game instead of a bunch of people who play a game for months as DPS to level faster and then switch over but have no clue how to play a support role

zlatko

Banned
Tekno what level are you now? I'll be on in like 7-8 hours in case we are still in the same level gap and you need some heroics to take down.

Tess3ract

Banned
The shadows make the game look pretty great actually, because the game looks really plasticy and flat otherwise. However adding shadows kills fps because it also adds Ambient Occlusion which I feel like is the real culprit along with the number of light sources the game tries to display at times (which is why indoors runs poorer than outside).

Then, it doesn't help that the major displays of shadows are such low resolution, but there's not much you can do about that on a game that already has performance issues.

when do you start need a legit healer and tank in flashpoints? who level as a healer or tank at low levels without a dungeon finder?

As a BH it was pretty easy leveling as a healer. It seems like we do a lot of damage even in bodyguard spec.

When I fight an elite I just need to heal one of my dps companions.

gatti-man

The shadows make the game look pretty great actually, because the game looks really plasticy and flat otherwise. However adding shadows kills fps because it also adds Ambient Occlusion which I feel like is the real culprit along with the number of light sources the game tries to display at times (which is why indoors runs poorer than outside).

Then, it doesn't help that the major displays of shadows are such low resolution, but there's not much you can do about that on a game that already has performance issues.

Disagree. It looks great with lod bc of the built in reflections. Try that with shadows off.

As a Gunslinger using Guss, is it better to give him a Scattergun or a second Blaster Pistol? I've always just equipped him with a Scattergun, but what the hell does that even do? It says it's only usable by special abilities. Does this mean he'd be doing more dps with a different kind of offhand weapon?

Sort of, WoW's in dungeon finder you chose what instances you wanted to do, hit a looking for group button and chose what role you wanted (tank, healer, dps) and it would auto-group you with others and teleport you to the dungeon.

DF's have their advantages and disadvantages. It reduces wait times and standing around spamming a LFG/General chat channel. It also means you don't really get to know your party members and introduces some issues like dealing with people that have no clue wtf they are doing or are not prepared for whatever instance you are running, something that could be avoided without a DF.

A dungeon finder generally lets you set some kind of server-wide indication that you're looking to team up with other people for a specific dungeon. Other people can then use this search tool to easily locate you and invite you to a group. The way it is now, the best you can do is shout in Fleet that you're looking for a group, but obviously only the people in Fleet will see that, not any of the hundreds of other people playing in other areas of the game.

So a DF is like tor's /who list only a lot more explicit/specific, okay. Thanks for the clarification. Personally I haven't had much trouble with pick up groups outside of Fleet but then I usually play with one friend in a group most of the time on one server and two on another so we only ever group up for 4 Heroics. Usually only wait about 5-10 minutes at most to get an interested party. Although, weirdly enough, I've found it easier to group up on Republic than Imperial, even with the disparity in the overall number of players.

TheYanger

So a DF is like tor's /who list only a lot more explicit/specific, okay. Thanks for the clarification. Personally I haven't had much trouble with pick up groups outside of Fleet but then I usually play with one friend in a group most of the time on one server and two on another so we only ever group up for 4 Heroics. Usually only wait about 5-10 minutes at most to get an interested party. Although, weirdly enough, I've found it easier to group up on Republic than Imperial, even with the disparity in the overall number of players.

DF is absolutely nothing like /who.

ToR has the worst group finding capabilities of any game made since the late 90s (At least a default LFG channel would go miles).

Edit:
I was bored and it only took about 30 seconds in total, so this is what wow Dungeon Finder is like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzgWNFPKNc0

There are plusses and minuses to the dungeon finder (Less community since it's with anyone in the US for instance) but ease of use is definitely miles in WoW's favor, as is typical accross basically any comparison between the two games.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
So a DF is like tor's /who list only a lot more explicit/specific, okay. Thanks for the clarification.
You're getting some conflicting information.

When people criticize not getting to know people they are talking about WoW's current dungeon finder that lets you group with people on different servers.

In low level dungeons you're gonna take whoever is willing to go, so the noob criticism is not valid there. It's only valid for end game.

/who lets you see what people are on the server. The LFG comment section in SWTOR is a bit like WoW's old "Looking For Group" feature.

The term dungeon finder assumes the group would automatically be created and completely separate from /who.

Personally I haven't had much trouble with pick up groups outside of Fleet but then I usually play with one friend in a group most of the time on one server and two on another so we only ever group up for 4 Heroics. Usually only wait about 5-10 minutes at most to get an interested party. Although, weirdly enough, I've found it easier to group up on Republic than Imperial, even with the disparity in the overall number of players.
Those aren''t dungeons/flashpoints. They are heroic group quests. And it's not a problem there because everyone in the zone is eventually given the quest during their time in the zone. A lot of times people skip them and wait for someone to ask in general to do them.

Dungeons are a different beast and require you to leave the planet and stand around on the fleet to recruit for one.

You could also try and recruit on a planet that would have people in the level range for the dungeon, but they are focused on questing and it can be hard to get a bite.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
DF is absolutely nothing like /who.

ToR has the worst group finding capabilities of any game made since the late 90s (At least a default LFG channel would go miles).

Edit:
I was bored and it only took about 30 seconds in total, so this is what wow Dungeon Finder is like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzgWNFPKNc0
^

Also,
here's WoW's retired Looking For Group server only feature that SWTOR is using comments in /who for.

Released in 2006.

17DYc.png

But WoW's old feature actually let people autojoin groups.

It's crazy that there's no global looking for group channel in SWTOR.

^

Also,
here's WoW's old Looking For Group server only feature that SWTOR is using comments in /who for.

Released in 2006.

17DYc.png

But WoW's feature actually let people autojoin groups.

Eh, sorry but the "WoW had this in year _____" comments always annoy me because that has nothing to do with the reality of how game development or software development works. WoW was released in 2004 so it would be more fair to say "WoW had this after 2 years of being live, and 6-7 years of total development".

Features don't just implement themselves because someone else implemented it a long time ago. The fact that WoW had it a long time ago does not suddenly mean it's less work for BioWare to implement it in their game. Alot of people who have a limited or non-existent view of software development think things like this are just something 1-2 guys out of a development team of hundreds can do in a few days, it just doesn't work that way. Every major feature or system is a significant development cost that gets prioritized against other features all within various budget constraints and time constraints.

I'm sure we'll see a dungeon finder eventually, but to imply that there's no excuse for them not already having one at launch is really just wrong.

A global LFG channel is not that much more useful than the current LFG comments, and there's a good chance that a global chat channel is not as simple as you think to implement anyway (I wrote the chat portion of a certain online game, so I have at least some experience here), and it certainly opens up a lot of potential for performance problems on their server as well as abuse by players (global chat spam)

erragal

I have full columi gear. I have years of hardcore raiding experience in WoW so class knowledge is something that comes pretty easily. I understand my survivability will definitely be improved with PVP gear, but doesn't PVE gear generally have better DPS stats? My gear has a 40% crit chance and 85% crit damage. If I do pitiful damage in full PVE set gear, It's probably even lower in PVP gear. The main problem with the class that I see is their mobility though, and no gear will help that. They have a hard time staying on their target, and their stuns and CC are pretty bad. They also have no gap closer.

The only thing they relied on was their opening burst on people with no PVP gear. Now that people are level 50 and have their PVP mitigation, they hardly even have that anymore.

PVE gear is terrible for PVP in SWTOR. Expertise reduces damage taken, increases damage done, and increases healing done with other players. You would do significantly more damage in PVP gear. It's not hard to be fighting people with 30% more damage/reduced damage in PVP when you first hit 50; it in no way allows you to be effective no matter what class you are. The pure damage stats on the PVP gear are not that much less than the equivalent PVP as well, usually it's just slightly lower tertiary stats (Crit/surge/alacrity) and for many of the dps specs they really only need to stack two of those to be highly effective.

Operatives are really immobile and it can be very frustrating. I think most of the people here don't realize that every operative can actually double up on their opening burst and that's why HS got nerfed. Acid Blade Hidden Strike, Cloaking Screen, Acid Blade Hidden Strike, Backstab, Laceration on an equally geared target is lethal or near lethal.

For the most part PVP in this game is fairly balanced if EVERYONE is at the same expertise level. It becomes really skewed when high expertise people are fighting very low expertise people; it's much like vanilla wow Naxx raiders blowing through PVP battlegrounds.

erragal

^

Also,
here's WoW's retired Looking For Group server only feature that SWTOR is using comments in /who for.

Released in 2006.

17DYc.png

But WoW's old feature actually let people autojoin groups.

It's crazy that there's no global looking for group channel in SWTOR.

That was not released in 2006.

CzarTim

For those having performance issues, try running the game in XP SP3 compatibility mode. I was skeptical at first when I read that, but I went from having to run the game on low settings to running it on high.

TheYanger

Eh, sorry but the "WoW had this in year _____" comments always annoy me because that has nothing to do with the reality of how game development or software development works. WoW was released in 2004 so it would be more fair to say "WoW had this after 2 years of being live, and 6-7 years of total development".

Features don't just implement themselves because someone else implemented it a long time ago. The fact that WoW had it a long time ago does not suddenly mean it's less work for BioWare to implement it in their game. Alot of people who have a limited or non-existent view of software development think things like this are just something 1-2 guys out of a development team of hundreds can do in a few days, it just doesn't work that way. Every major feature or system is a significant development cost that gets prioritized against other features all within various budget constraints and time constraints.

I'm sure we'll see a dungeon finder eventually, but to imply that there's no excuse for them not already having one at launch is really just wrong.

A global LFG channel is not that much more useful than the current LFG comments, and there's a good chance that a global chat channel is not as simple as you think to implement anyway (I wrote the chat portion of a certain online game, so I have at least some experience here), and it certainly opens up a lot of potential for performance problems on their server as well as abuse by players (global chat spam)

I'm sorry but what? Does this mean we should all be playing Pong because devs shouldn't learn from those that come before them? This argument is idiotic and always has been. LFG tools of at least the most basic variety are a REQUIREMENT for MMOs in this day and age. A global LFG channel is hard to implement? what? You can already make one on your own, but without them just making a single unified official one it will never achieve the critical mass to make it work. It's just LAZY of them not to do shit like that.

"It's hard, give them a break" is a total cop out. Last I checked, making anything requires work. They're profiting and releasing this game to the public in what they consider a feature ready state.

It doesn't affect me much because I have a group of 4 I can play with, but when I've had to pug in this game my USUAL experience is:
spam fleet chat for 40 minutes,
A) find a group, spend 20 minutes getting all of the hard mode/quest starter chains/random bullshit finished, and finally do a flashpoint
B) Give up and play wow.

And that's at 50, while levelling good luck with that, you've got to spam on level appropriate planets, AND the fleet, all while loading between them every step of the way. I STILL haven't done Red Reaper, and I know a huge amount of people I run into doing hard modes have never done the instances on normal because it was impossible to get groups together.

That was not released in 2006.

Yeah, actually, it was.

jersoc

his point is this should be standard, which is correct. there is no excuse. none.
this game seems like it was designed 10 years ago and never updated since.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

Why don't you go bitch at TheYanger abotu using dates?

You're a complete fool if you think the global LFG channel is not much more useful.

-The majority of the people you recruit are not using the comment section.
-Thus, going back and forth between a Planet of the same level and the fleet with the ship loading crap AND PAYING MONEY to do it is tedious, annoying.

Once you get a second person you get relief, but I spent 40 minutes doing that shit alone.

Comments did nothing for my Athiss group last night. Only me moving back and forth.

Edit: pretty much beaten

Yeah, actually, it was.

The image I posted was apparently the revised looking for group in 2009.

This was the 2006 one, which is part of the 2009 one, but I don't know what surrounds it.
bc_lfg.jpg

erragal

Yeah, actually, it was.

Strange, you are correct. But as someone that did a lot of PUG's in wow circa 2006-2008 (Played completely unguilded until well into BC) I simply did not use that interface until it was supported with cross-faction groups. It was far easier to simply use chat channels to find people willing to do instances.

Why? Because some people might be willing to do a dungeon but aren't advertising their availability. Global LFG channel is always superior to anything but an automatic placement system (Which only works with a large enough population.)

EDIT: Thanks for the updated picture. That looks much more accurate to 2006 era wow. I can't recall an autojoin function at all that early in the game's lifetime. But as I said: I didn't use their LFG tool until it was cross-server.

EDIT2: Does have autojoin but it's simpler. Missing role selection as well. Just don't recall it working very well at the beginning of BC; everyone was still using chat channels in Shatt to find people.
lfg_interface.jpg

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Looking at the patch notes apprently only the roles were added in 2009.

"Class roles (i.e. damage, tanking, healing) have been added to the Looking For Group feature. Class roles will be displayed when sorting through the Looking For More section."

But the wiki talks about some other stuff.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
EDIT2: Does have autojoin but it's simpler. Missing role selection as well. Just don't recall it working very well at the beginning of BC; everyone was still using chat channels in Shatt to find people.
lfg_interface.jpg
Looking for group became a global channel before it was implemented, then they removed the global looking for group channel when it was implemented and people used the trade channel. I don't remember the history after that.

I started talking about their old dugneon finder because the guy was confused. I'm not saying it was good or better than a global looking for group channel. Cause, frankly, it wasn't.

I'm just saying their comment section is a poor mans version of it.

his point is this should be standard, which is correct. there is no excuse. none.
this game seems like it was designed 10 years ago and never updated since.

It is standard. That doesn't mean "cannot ship without it". MMOs by definition are constantly updated.

If everything that people said an MMO could never ever ship without was actually true, then no mmo would ever ship, period. There is no way to reconcile the issue of fitting 8 years of worth of development effort into 4 years. None, simply impossible.

usea

I'm pretty sure the first half of wrath didn't have a LFG tool that automatically put you into groups; it simply let you browse people who were set to LFG. I think that was added mid-wrath. I could be wrong, but that's my recollection.

TheYanger

It is standard. That doesn't mean "cannot ship without it". MMOs by definition are constantly updated.

If everything that people said an MMO could never ever ship without was actually true, then no mmo would ever ship, period. There is no way to reconcile the issue of fitting 8 years of worth of development effort into 4 years. None, simply impossible.

You're backpeddling hardcore, them not having one does not make them immune to criticisms for that fact. And no, not shipping with even a fucking channel is pretty inexcusable no matter how you look at it.

You're a complete fool if you think the global LFG channel is not much more useful.

-The majority of the people you recruit are not using the comment section.
-Thus, going back and forth between a Planet of the same level and the fleet with the ship loading crap AND PAYING MONEY to do it is tedious, annoying.

And a global LFG channel brings with it its own set of problems. It's not as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. You're going to get the Chinese farmers with RMT spam all the time in a global lfg channel. You're going to get noobs being noobs and trolling in a global lfg channel. You're going to get a technical challenge because now instead of a chat server that can talk to 1 physical server, it has to be able to talk to an arbitrarily large number.

I'm not saying that it's not useful, only that they decided it was not useful enough for launch. You cannot ship every single "required" feature at launch. It just doesn't work. To assert otherwise is tantamount to saying that no MMO should ever ship again. I've seen 100 posts in this thread about various features that they should be ashamed of themselves for not launching with. If game development worked like that, no MMO would ever ship, and that's not an exaggeration.

There's a reason MMOs have these things called updates and patches that happen from time to time.

And no, none of this is backpedalling at all. my original point: "It's standard, game must launch with it or it's a piece of shit" is incompatible with how software development works due to the number of things that people think are standard. My current point is identical.

Edit: And I agree with you that it doesn't make them immune to criticisms that they don't have one, or suggestions that they need to implement one, because they do. But the reasoning ("WoW had this in 2006, you incompetent fools") is bullshit.

erragal

I started talking about their old dugneon finder because the guy was confused. I'm not saying it was good or better than a global looking for group channel. Cause, frankly, it wasn't.

I'm just saying their comment section is a poor mans version of it.

Agree on all your points. And much like 2006 era LFG I see about 1/2 people with any sort of a LFG comments by their name; the community just knows it's not effective so they don't bother using it and it becomes even less effective.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
And a global LFG channel brings with it its own set of problems. It's not as cut and dry as you're making it out to be. You're going to get the Chinese farmers with RMT spam all the time in a global lfg channel. You're going to get noobs being noobs and trolling in a global lfg channel. You're going to get a technical challenge because now instead of a chat server that can talk to 1 physical server, it has to be able to talk to an arbitrarily large number.

I'm not saying that it's not useful, only that they decided it was not useful enough for launch. You cannot ship every single "required" feature at launch. It just doesn't work. To assert otherwise is tantamount to saying that no MMO should ever ship again. I've seen 100 posts in this thread about various features that they should be ashamed of themselves for not launching with. If game development worked like that, no MMO would ever ship, and that's not an exaggeration.
When spam ramps up, people are going to see it no matter what. You know whispers and bots exist right?

In wow most zones are barren. Since SWTOR has a lot with 100 people they aren't going to let those zones go untouched.

There's a reason MMOs have these things called updates and patches that happen from time to time.
lol, are you really trying to end your argument as condescending prick?

I never really understood why people disliked global LFG. Even with trolling and gold spam you can easily pick out real users due to the distinct LFG structure ( LFG, LFM, ect). I don't really get bugged by trolling or off topic channel posting to begin with though because it's easy to ignore.

bjb

Banned
Indeed this game needs a LFG channel or tool.

To be honest though, this game needs a lot of shit. I'm convinced they pushed it early for Christmas. Likewise to get the jump on Blizzard and Areanet.

Bugs and missing features aside - there's just no way that an MMO with their budget and backing - should feel so lifeless and dull.

lol, are you really trying to end your argument as condescending prick?

Yea, sorry about that, but honestly this shit is just a pet peeve of mine, having worked on multiple games of the online variety. I mean I agree they need the feature, but people actually think that just because WoW had it (and 100 other things), it has to be in at launch. Look, a good MMO lives for 8-10 years and 6 months into a 8-10 year cycle is really just a speckle of dust on a beach and a distant memory even only 2-3 years after a feature's inclusion.

I mean sure they could have put that feature in and then something else would have been sacrificed. GTN would have been even shittier than it already is maybe, or something else would have suffered that you take for granted as already in the game but you would flip out if it wasn't there. Final Fantasy XIV for example launched without fucking mounts, and I don't even know if it has them yet. This is the kind of shit you don't want getting cut from your game because you wanted an LFG tool.

Obviously the game needs a lot of work, including in this particular area, but having realistic expectations is just as important (admittedly, in the example of FFXIV, even expecting a game that was 300% better than their launch would have been realistic).

Kinan

Queues in the first 2 weeks killed it. I ended up ditching a character with 2 days played because it got to the point where I couldn't get on to play. People that wanted to play together were having to idle so friends who were waiting in 2-5 hour queues could get in...

Such a shame.

Crap, so no EU gaf anymore?

And I made a char there specifically to be with gaf. :p At least delete info from the OP, please.

Queues seems not to be a big problem now, got only one 15 min wait in the last 3 evenings.

Top Bottom