• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Kem0sabe

Did you seriously use "witch" for "which" =P

Homophones are like homophobes, their dickiness annoy and confound me. :)

What do you expect to do end game in an MMO exactly then?

I am a bit confused now.

Continue questing forever?
Doing /dance in fleet?

BTW do you have all the Datacrons yet? Done all the bonus series?

To be honest, concerning your first question, i dont know. As i said, maybe i´m just burned out. But something along the lines of player driven content as a bounty board or an escrow system where players could post orders (missions) for mats (if they are crafters in need of resources) or place equipment orders, or mail/item deliveries (remove the mail item system!)

All those would go a long way to remove the annoying repetition of the endgame. These days when i log on to my sorcerer i know the drill... go to belsavis do a couple of dailies, go to ilum, do some more dailies, go to fleet and spam chat for an hour looking for a group... oh the fun :D

Concerning your second question, yes to both. I went for the datacrons as i quested on each planet (something i´ve yet to do with my sage), including the +10 datacron and all the stupidity it involves. :)

The bonus series i did as i leveled, if i remember correctly i think i dinged 50 while doing the Hoth one.

Patryn

Interesting that patch notes still aren't up on SWTOR.com, even though the servers are back.

Actually, why ARE the servers back? Weren't they supposed to be down for another couple of hours? Was the patch aborted again?

Speaking of which - what is the deal with their website being down whenever the servers are down?

It's really weird that when, you know, I'd maybe like to read the patch notes, or have updates when servers will be up, or maybe just even discuss other things in the forums (not that I'd personally post there) that I can't.

am I the only one who basicaly does not have any technical problems in SWTOR? The game runs smooth as butter at FullHD noAA for me, and I only have 4850 512 MB card and stock clocked i5.

granted, I have not yet reached Ilum, but I'm really surprised that people report crappy framerate with monster rigs here.

I haven't had many technical problems (I've completely ignored WZs and not high enough for Ilum), but the game looks like shit with no AA. It still doesn't look that great with the "high" AA they included in the patch. I'm playing on a 2010 laptop too.

Kem0sabe

Speaking of which - what is the deal with their website being down whenever the servers are down?

It's really weird that when, you know, I'd maybe like to read the patch notes, or have updates when servers will be up, or maybe just even discuss other things in the forums (not that I'd personally post there) that I can't.

Every time there's unexpected maintenance, like this weekend... they turn the forums into read only. Every time they have extended maintenance, they take the side down.

The excuse is always that their site and forums are on the same servers as the game, which defies all logic. They had a site during beta, even when the beta was down they had forums and website.

This is just more bioware bullshit. I am hard-pressed to see an example in the industry (AAA) of such poor communication and community service between clients (us) and providers (bioware) in an mmorpg.

Jbird34

Interesting that patch notes still aren't up on SWTOR.com, even though the servers are back.

Actually, why ARE the servers back? Weren't they supposed to be down for another couple of hours? Was the patch aborted again?

The patch notes were in the launcher this morning, and no the patch was not aborted again they just got done with the maintenance faster.

I recalled a note on the forums a few days ago saying the patch would only take 4 hours. IIRC i think the patch was ~34mb. Got my boxes done today when there were only 2 other ppl on Ilum :p

O just checked the launcher, this was the 1.1.1 patch

Every time there's unexpected maintenance, like this weekend... they turn the forums into read only. Every time they have extended maintenance, they take the side down.

The excuse is always that their site and forums are on the same servers as the game, which defies all logic. They had a site during beta, even when the beta was down they had forums and website.

This is just more bioware bullshit. I am hard-pressed to see an example in the industry (AAA) of such poor communication and community service between clients (us) and providers (bioware) in an mmorpg.

The forums being down for a couple hours is that much of a burden for people?

Moaradin

Or you just check the launcher, which is the main place to find patch notes to begin with.

I guess this is the patch that's gutting Operatives?

Kem0sabe

The forums being down for a couple hours is that much of a burden for people?

Yes it is. Having weekly 8 hour maintenance windows with periodic weekly emergency maintenance added to that. And then having your clients locked out of the forums is just bad form by bioware.

It always irked me the way they are handling the community aspect of the game, launching it with no server specific forums, with the search function disabled for most of launch, just promoted a whole lot of spam and aggressiveness in the forum.

And they still refuse to give us proper server forums, instead preferring to impose the mess that is currently implemented.

The only reasoning i see behind this is that they are safeguarding themselves for the massive server merges that are inevitably on the way. Having a look at the server status in Europe during prime time is disheartening... to say the least.

markatisu

First the forums during the beta vs the forums now are 2 different worlds

Speaking as someone who has been a full time moderator on various message boards since the 2000's taking the boards offline or making them read only is a smart thing to do. Especially given the type of people who seem to be posting there since launch.

Have you even been the SWTOR message boards, if I had to guess 99.9% of the posts are just whining, bitching and crying about every single thing. You can guarantee if they were up while the maintenance was going on there would be a ton of posts that need moderation or deletion (WHY IS THE GAME DOWN I PAID FOR 24/7 ACCESS, etc)

Jbird34

Have you even been the SWTOR message boards, if I had to guess 99.9% of the posts are just whining, bitching and crying about every single thing. You can guarantee if they were up while the maintenance was going on there would be a ton of posts that need moderation or deletion (WHY IS THE GAME DOWN I PAID FOR 24/7 ACCESS, etc)

THIS!!!!!!

Kem0sabe

First the forums during the beta vs the forums now are 2 different worlds

Speaking as someone who has been a full time moderator on various message boards since the 2000's taking the boards offline or making them read only is a smart thing to do. Especially given the type of people who seem to be posting there since launch.

Those people are their clients, above all that's the only thing that they should consider. Personally i use the class forums a lot, they have some very constructive and interesting discussions...

Those people are their clients, above all that's the only thing that they should consider. Personally i use the class forums a lot, they have some very constructive and interesting discussions...

Those forums are up majority of the week, they only go down a couple hours during the weekly maintenance usually and this is such a major problem? That info is not going to change during those few hours and the forums will be back and available for most of week once it's done. Game has some real issues that warrant negativity that I can understand, but the forum thing just comes off as silly to me.

*edit: And the forums are back.

FGMPR

Banned
Great, the latest patch has introduced stutter into my game. Now once a minute or so, my game freezes up for about 5 seconds.

I've had frequent disconnect and lag issues and now this. I really do like this game, and I know these sorts of things should to a degree be expected, but its really testing my patience. I'm a level 43 marauder atm, and with Kingdoms of Amalur arriving in a week or so, I think it might be time to call it quits once I finish my characters story line. These technical issues have just been piling up too much for me to keep subbing for this kind of service.

hamchan

The forum being down complaints seem pretty legitimate to me. I mean, when the game is down it's reasonable to expect players to want to talk about it while they wait right? And it's logical to go to the official forums if one wants to talk about the game.

arimanius

Ok gents, since I'm at work how's the OP nerf? To much, not enough, delete the class now?

edit* I've read that damage is noticeable lower but shoot first/hidden strike no longer fills the resolve bar.

The forum being down complaints seem pretty legitimate to me. I mean, when the game is down it's reasonable to expect players to want to talk about it while they wait right? And it's logical to go to the official forums if one wants to talk about the game.

Use one of the many other forums about the game on the net? Most of which are much better, have moderation, and less crazies? Maybe like this one here

Miletius

Eh, the forums used to go down during WoW downtime so I don't really see the difference. I understand how people might be irked by it though, but it hardly bothers me.

My poor Bounty Hunter is still stuck at 33. I haven't had any time to play her at all. I kind of wish I went Merc on her instead of Powertech though now... but I'm not restarting her.

Emitan

Use one of the many other forums about the game on the net? Most of which are much better, have moderation, and less crazies? Maybe like this one here

No one is arguing about the quality of the forums. Whether the the forums are a cesspool or not (they are) they should be up during down time because game servers and forum servers SHOULD NOT BE THE SAME

daoster

Patch Notes:

Classes and Combat

General

Fixed a bug that could cause the Global Cooldown to appear as if it has been cancelled when it is actually still in effect, resulting in a feeling of unresponsiveness to input.
Corrected an issue that could cause an ability icon to appear usable but be unresponsive to clicks or keypresses for several seconds.
Players revived by other players, including by in-combat revival abilities, now revive with 25% of maximum health.

Jedi Knight

Guardian

Freezing Force: Now correctly lasts 9 seconds (up from 6 seconds).

Jedi Consular

Sage

Mental Alacrity: Now correctly costs no Force to activate.
Salvation: No longer heals targets twice on application. It now correctly heals all affected targets once when applied.

Smuggler

Scoundrel

Flechette Round: Now provides 30% armor penetration while active.
K.O.: This ability now knocks the target down for 1.5 seconds.
Shoot First: The damage output of this ability has been decreased by approximately 20% to control burst damage and because it was enabling significantly faster than intended kills in PvP.

Imperial Agent

Operative

Acid Blade: Now provides 30% armor penetration while active.
Jarring Strike: This ability now knocks the target down for 1.5 seconds.
Hidden Strike: The damage output of this ability has been decreased by approximately 20% to control burst damage and because it was enabling significantly faster than intended kills in PvP.

Bounty Hunter

Mercenary

Sweeping Blasters can now be made free with Thermal Sensor Override.

Powertech

Oil Slick now correctly costs no heat to activate.

Flashpoints and Operations

Flashpoints

Directive 7

Bulwark's Area of Effect cone abilities now properly fire in the direction Bulwark is facing.
Some of Bulwark's abilities were incorrectly susceptible to interruption. Bulwark is now immune to interrupts.

The False Emperor

Fixed a conversation that could cause the cinematic with Arkis Wode to function incorrectly.

The Foundry

Fixed an issue that could prevent the final fight in this Flashpoint from beginning after the cinematic.
The final boss can no longer become stuck in an invulnerable state; there was still a small window where this could occur.

The Red Reaper

Lord Kherus now grants less experience.
Some of Lord Kherus's abilities have had their damage values adjusted to be more in line with the level of the Flashpoint.
Players now enter into melee range with Lord Kherus in order to stop him from throwing crates.

Operations

Eternity Vault

Players no longer randomly die in this Operation after being in Gharj's lava.

Karagga's Palace

Foreman Crusher's enrage now includes a movement speed increase, allowing him to catch players who attempt to run.
Fixed an issue that prevented the Materials Disposal Unit's main control station from becoming useable again after the Operation Group is defeated by the G4-B3 Heavy Fabricator on 16-man Hard Mode.
Fixed an issue that prevented the G4-B3 Heavy Fabricator from deploying the correct number of Proximity Pulse Mines and Security Stun Drones during combat.
The damage from G4-B3 Heavy Fabricator's sticky pulse grenade will scales appropriately for the selected Operation difficulty level.
Karagga no longer fires his Unstable Energy twice in a row.
Taking the shuttle after defeating Karagga no longer transports players to the incorrect hangar.
Walls that were missing in Karagga's Palace are now in place.

Bug Fixes

General

Fixed an issue that prevented some players in Operations Groups from receiving credit for the missions "[WEEKLY] Deadly Operations," "[WEEKLY] Galactic Operations," and "Journey to the Belsavis Depths." The entire Operations Group now receives credit when the objective is completed.

Items

Bug Fixes

Comparative tooltips for researched items no longer have their stats reversed.

Missions and NPCs

Missions

Imperial

Declaration of War: The mission will now progress as intended when players interact with their ship's holoterminal.
Debriefing: The ship Holoterminal conversation related to this mission is no longer repeatable.
The Eagle's Nest: The Assassin's Fortress mission is now correctly a prerequisite for this mission.
Number One with a Bullet: Corrected an issue that prevented Bounty Hunters from leaving The Founder.
The Mandalorian Killer: Thendys Noori no longer continues to heal Kellian Jarro after she has surrendered.
Reallocation: The final mission conversation will now begin as intended when players interact with their ship's holoterminal.
The Voice of Darkness: Fixed an issue that could cause Class Story mission progression to enter an incorrect state.

Republic

Death Spiral: Fixed an issue that prevented Jedi Knights who completed the Commander Rayfel encounter from using the shuttle back to Belsavis Orbital Station.

NPCs

Bug Fixes

Kintan Behemoths no longer occasionally walk on top of trees when in combat.

PvP

Warzones

General

Fixed an issue that could prevent players from receiving mission rewards for completing Warzones.

Voidstar

Players are no longer able to climb out of the attacking team spawn area in the hangar before the match starts.

World PvP

Ilum

Additional base turrets now protect the taxi location inside each faction's base.

Space Combat

General

Added two daily mission commendations to the high-level space dailies Operation Ascendant Pride (Imperial) and Operation New Eclipse (Republic).

UI

General

Attempting to loot an item in a group when the Master Looter is off-planet now generates an error message.

Bug Fixes

The leader of an Operations Group will no longer receive an incorrect message informing them that their companion has been dismissed.

Miscellaneous Bug Fixes

Special items related to different editions of the game have been re-sent if they were deleted by the mail system prior to being claimed.

Patryn

Question for JK/SW players: Do any of you actually use Freezing Force (or whatever the Sith equivalent is)?

Or is it more of a PvP ability?

Personally, I find just slowing enemies to not be worth the time it takes to execute it. Especially when slow doesn't work on most elites and above.

Question for JK/SW players: Do any of you actually use Freezing Force (or whatever the Sith equivalent is)?

Or is it more of a PvP ability?

Personally, I find just slowing enemies to not be worth the time it takes to execute it. Especially when slow doesn't work on most elites and above.

It is instant cast, not really a waste of time. It's vital pvp ability and it's also good when tanking for slowing down any enemies that might try peel off your pulls.

Can't wait to try out WZ to see the ops nerf.

EDIT: Reading the forums it seems like there may or may not be a bug now giving ops a 6-8 second stunlock. It's apparently there but no one knows if it's intentional or not. Can we seriously not just properly nerf a class without giving them an even more useful tool?

Dunlop

Eternity Vault

Players no longer randomly die in this Operation after being in Gharj's lava.

This killed us more than any boss, and it had nothing to do with the lava we would just randomly die after getting off a speeder

frequency

Back when I was a student, I would always browse official forums (if they existed - otherwise I'd browse the most popular community forum) when servers were down for MMOs I played.

I would be really bummed if servers were down and I couldn't talk to other people about the game to make the wait less excruciating.

Official forums really aren't that bad. Just don't click threads asking for nerfs or buffs or talking about "Why [class] is broken".
There are usually great guides on official forums and people are helpful for genuine questions and advice.

Back when I was a student, I would always browse official forums (if they existed - otherwise I'd browse the most popular community forum) when servers were down for MMOs I played.

I would be really bummed if servers were down and I couldn't talk to other people about the game to make the wait less excruciating.

Official forums really aren't that bad. Just don't click threads asking for nerfs or buffs or talking about "Why [class] is broken".
There are usually great guides on official forums and people are helpful for genuine questions and advice.

Admit it, you go for the fan fic

arimanius

Can't wait to try out WZ to see the ops nerf.

EDIT: Reading the forums it seems like there may or may not be a bug now giving ops a 6-8 second stunlock. It's apparently there but no one knows if it's intentional or not. Can we seriously not just properly nerf a class without giving them an even more useful tool?

I doubt that this is a bug. I've read the 1.5 sec KO has 100 more resolve than other 1.5 stuns in the game. And it's not really a stunlock for 8 secs. The last 2 sec cc would be sever tendon and it's a root not a stun and only if they have it talented. So 6 sec stun 2 sec root if no CC breaker.

So it's something like acid blade, hidden strike, shiv, bs, debilitate, lacerate, lacerate, sever tendon, bs, shiv, dead.

frequency

So... Vette? Aren't you a Consular?

Yes. But I was making reference to a post way earlier in the thread linking to a fan fic on the official forums involving Vette.

Personally, I really want to get it on with Qyzen. But BioWare doesn't like me.

EDIT: Mention of bald because Twileks lack of hair bothers me. A lot.

StMeph

I doubt that this is a bug. I've read the 1.5 sec KO has 100 more resolve than other 1.5 stuns in the game. And it's not really a stunlock for 8 secs. The last 2 sec cc would be sever tendon and it's a root not a stun and only if they have it talented. So 6 sec stun 2 sec root if no CC breaker.

So it's something like acid blade, hidden strike, shiv, bs, debilitate, lacerate, lacerate, sever tendon, bs, shiv, dead.

With the 20% damage nerf to Hidden Strike and the reduced armor penetration to Acid Blade, I'm not sure that Operatives will be able to kill any reasonably geared targets with the full combo, even if the victim is caught without his CC breaking ability.

I'm sure that sub-50 lowbies will still be feasted on, but tanks and geared players should be able to withstand a combo.

With the 20% damage nerf to Hidden Strike and the reduced armor penetration to Acid Blade, I'm not sure that Operatives will be able to kill any reasonably geared targets with the full combo, even if the victim is caught without his CC breaking ability.

I'm sure that sub-50 lowbies will still be feasted on, but tanks and geared players should be able to withstand a combo.
I guess I don't see the problem? Is it sensible to expect the ability to take down a pvp tank in one combo?

frequency

I guess I don't see the problem? Is it sensible to expect the ability to take down a pvp tank in one combo?

The problem is Operatives now have to deal with snares/CC/damage like every other class in the game instead of just winning fights in a few seconds against targets that can't retaliate fast enough and running off to hide and find their next target.

:p

StMeph

I mean that in the sense that the new stunlock (Hidden Strike used to max out the Resolve bar alone, which is now no longer the case, so an extra stun may now be used in the rotation) doesn't really change Operative damage output in PvP.

The damage nerfs were implemented to reduce burst damage, because so much could be front-loaded, but now it's spread out over a few more seconds. The result should be the same: the victim limps off with 30% of their health remaining.

I think the core issue is just that Rogue play is inherently annoying/frustrating to the victims because you're either wiped out in a matter of seconds, nearly OHKOed, or stunlocked without recourse. It's not "fun" on the receiving end, even though there's a ton of CC everywhere in this game.

Honestly, I'll try out the changes for a while, but I'll probably switch to heals in PvP, if just because no one wants melee DPS for FPs/OPS at 50 anyway.

This is from a 48 Concealment Operative with his fair share of PvP along the way to 50.

I mean that in the sense that the new stunlock (Hidden Strike used to max out the Resolve bar alone, which is now no longer the case, so an extra stun may now be used in the rotation) doesn't really change Operative damage output in PvP.

The damage nerfs were implemented to reduce burst damage, because so much could be front-loaded, but now it's spread out over a few more seconds. The result should be the same: the victim limps off with 30% of their health remaining.

I think the core issue is just that Rogue play is inherently annoying/frustrating to the victims because you're either wiped out in a matter of seconds, nearly OHKOed, or stunlocked without recourse. It's not "fun" on the receiving end, even though there's a ton of CC everywhere in this game.

Honestly, I'll try out the changes for a while, but I'll probably switch to heals in PvP, if just because no one wants melee DPS for FPs/OPS at 50 anyway.

This is from a 48 Concealment Operative with his fair share of PvP along the way to 50.

That's only thinking in a one on one situation. In PVP you are often dealing with multiple players and getting tapped by many different abilities, and resolve is affected often by more than one thing by other players in the fight as well. No longer will they instantly murder a player and get to run off, now they have to spend more time actually fighting out in the open which makes them targets of other players. In a one on one situation they are going to put out about same damage, but thankfully pvp is usually not one on one. The changes force the classes to really be part of the fights instead of just popping out of stealth, killing, and dissapearing... rinse repeat.

Downloaded the new patches and can't login now, just gets stuck on the first loading screen, not good stuff

I got that last night before the patch, and have randomly had it happen before since launch.

Darklord

Banned
Bioware are pissing me off. They still haven't fixed the unload bug. Come on it can't be that hard! And they lied. In 1.1 they added extra patch notes fixing 4 or 5 extra things. One was the conversation bug with companions. They deleted the post, removed those notes and STILL it's not in. If they were that close they added it to 1.1 then removed it why the fuck isn't it in yet?

frequency

Here's a stream of a rank 68 Battlemaster OP playing if anyone wants to view the nerfs out for themselves. Takes longer to kill people but he still seems to be doing quit well.

http://www.twitch.tv/th3d0nut

Impossible. Didn't you hear? This nerf completely guts the class and makes it unplayable and impossible do anything effectively anymore. No class has ever been nerfed so fast or so hard in any game ever. The sky fell and all that.

Really.

lol. their communication with the players has been better than any other MMO I can think of. I guess it's easy to see what you want to see though. Go look at FFXI if you want to see an example of the opposite extreme.

BTW, the patch notes are ambiguous. It says jarring strike now knocks the opponent down for 1.5s. Is this a knockdown 100% of the time, or still a 50% chance to knock down, but now for 1.5s instead of 3s?

Kem0sabe

lol. their communication with the players has been better than any other MMO I can think of. I guess it's easy to see what you want to see though.

Exactly, that entire "medium" setting is a bug thing was a prime example of good clear communication, as well as the... official graphics settings explanation that took days to compile and amounted to little more than assorted tooltips from the game client...

But hey, they have a blog, that means they are in touch with the community... for sure.

Exactly, that entire "medium" setting is a bug thing was a prime example of good clear communication, as well as the... official graphics settings explanation that took days to compile and amounted to little more than assorted tooltips from the game client...

But hey, they have a blog, that means they are in touch with the community... for sure.

They have a blog? News to me. Personally I just read the comments straight from the developers mouths when they make posts on forums.

StMeph

That's only thinking in a one on one situation. In PVP you are often dealing with multiple players and getting tapped by many different abilities, and resolve is affected often by more than one thing by other players in the fight as well. No longer will they instantly murder a player and get to run off, now they have to spend more time actually fighting out in the open which makes them targets of other players. In a one on one situation they are going to put out about same damage, but thankfully pvp is usually not one on one. The changes force the classes to really be part of the fights instead of just popping out of stealth, killing, and dissapearing... rinse repeat.

I'm not sure I agree, mostly because there are very few opportunities to just hit-and-run.

Perhaps it's partly my own playstyle, but I find that, in a larger skirmish with several actors, there's no way to just instantly murder (as you say) someone and run away or re-stealth without popping a 2-minute (talented) cooldown. Getting hit by anyone else = in combat anyway, so a smaller burst doesn't really make me as an Operative stay unstealthed in the open any more than it would have, because often when fighting over an objective, I am already out in the open after my initial combo opener.

I do think the burst was too high, and that the class was constrained to a very narrow role. A nerf wasn't outrageous, and some other changes would be welcome, even if they don't appear to be coming. But being the least-played class (and I rarely see other Operatives in PvP), I think that most people's perceptions are slightly skewed since they may have only been on the receiving end of particularly nasty openers.

The resolve issue is actually a bigger deal post-nerf, I think, because now Hidden Strike no longer maxes out the bar by itself. It allows *more* CC to be stacked on the target.

Top Bottom