• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Tess3ract

Banned
Except that that is sort of wrong, they have that one 'spammable' heal, but those are NOT their best heals, they can rely on it until you lock it out and THEN break out a big heal to make up for getting interrupted. Example: You interrupt dark Infusion, they then cast innervate and heal for an ABSURD amount more. Same with commandos/mercs who then go to their faster heal with the cd, Then rotate back to the basic heal, in a pinch there's still popping their 30 stack cd too, it's just too versatile. It needs to be a more far reaching lockout like wow to really have any effect. Yeah, with 4 interrupters you can keep someone locked out, but that's way too much dedicated resource to preventing a single healer from doing their job.
Actually it is their best heals.

Innervate/healing trance only heals for a bunch if they have the HoT on and they crit each tick. (probably easier in pvp gear)

GLopez12

Neo Member
Except that that is sort of wrong, they have that one 'spammable' heal, but those are NOT their best heals, they can rely on it until you lock it out and THEN break out a big heal to make up for getting interrupted. Example: You interrupt dark Infusion, they then cast innervate and heal for an ABSURD amount more. Same with commandos/mercs who then go to their faster heal with the cd, Then rotate back to the basic heal, in a pinch there's still popping their 30 stack cd too, it's just too versatile. It needs to be a more far reaching lockout like wow to really have any effect. Yeah, with 4 interrupters you can keep someone locked out, but that's way too much dedicated resource to preventing a single healer from doing their job.

Innervate has worse HPS than Dark Infusion. It's mostly used for mana efficiency. The faster heals also have much worse HPS. This is really basic, indisputable math.

As it stands healers are almost too weak in PVP. Any two DPS can bring one down with a stun. Making interrupts any stronger would disrupt the almost perfect balance that exists right now. It would also make countering DPS that are already too easy to train even easier.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Marauders have a channeled stun, a group sprint, a group damage buff, a minor group HOT, and a healing debuff. They are perfectly set as far as utility goes. They also have some of the best mobility and survivability out of any melee class.

i stopped there

Awesome run tonight with Empire GAF doing the 16 man KP HM and some pretty sweet mounts

Gyrs' red one came from EV HM and mine was from KP HM

Was great, thanks for having me along, that new armor I got for Azura is cool.

Also congrats Ri'eg!

Blackred2.jpg

Hey guys, so I was thinking of creating a repub character just to see what the other side was like. Is there any one on repub gaf that can give me an invite?

Darklord

Banned
I ended up canceling. It was good but the only MMO games I'd be interested in staying a long time with should be more open. Eve online but on a bit more casual scale kinda thing.

No, the game is almost perfectly balanced in group PVP. Every class has a strong role and every class does similar damage, healing, and CC. The only two classes that might be lackluster due to a lack of utility are Commandos and Operatives, and they still have pretty important roles if played correctly.

I'm saying this from the perspective of a high-rated arena and RBG player from WOW, and pretty much every WOW player I know who was high rated in RBGs and arenas agrees with me.

No it's really not, this game is far from being perfectly balanced. Classes they excel in CC excel in largely anything else they do. The fact is they follow the dumb wow philosophy of healing overcoming everything. Having half your team be a hybrid sorc/sage can easily trump a more spread out team build. This is simply not balance.

Where the heck was all of republic gaf last night? Saturday night and we were trying to get a raid going, but only 3-4 level 50s on during primetime. It's been 15-20 pretty consistently for a week or two

GLopez12

Neo Member
No it's really not, this game is far from being perfectly balanced. Classes they excel in CC excel in largely anything else they do. The fact is they follow the dumb wow philosophy of healing overcoming everything. Having half your team be a hybrid sorc/sage can easily trump a more spread out team build. This is simply not balance.

Healing barely overcomes one solid DPS.

And everyone has about the same CC or utility. Classes that have more CC have less utility (e.g., Sage), and classes that have less CC have more utility (e.g., Sentinel). Then everyone is about balanced in damage and healing with some slight variation in how damage and healing is delivered.

I don't know, man. Every high-rated player from WOW that I know thinks the best part — and pretty much only good part, honestly — about the game's PVP is its balance. I don't mean to be rude, but maybe it's a personal problem more than a design problem.

I ended up canceling. It was good but the only MMO games I'd be interested in staying a long time with should be more open. Eve online but on a bit more casual scale kinda thing.

I recommend Rift. It's a pretty good mix of a theme park with its dungeon and warzone features and a sandbox with its open-world features.

Pretty much the same. There is no MMO content here, at least, none that would keep you playing beyond the 30 days/story complete. Great 'single player' game, no idea what it offers as an MMO. Even if they are trying to plan updates to coincide with payment cycles.

Ken

Where the heck was all of republic gaf last night? Saturday night and we were trying to get a raid going, but only 3-4 level 50s on during primetime. It's been 15-20 pretty consistently for a week or two

I've gotten bored of leveling my alt so I've stopped logging on as much. Also, midterms.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Healing barely overcomes one solid DPS.

And everyone has about the same CC or utility. Classes that have more CC have less utility (e.g., Sage), and classes that have less CC have more utility (e.g., Sentinel). Then everyone is about balanced in damage and healing with some slight variation in how damage and healing is delivered.

I don't know, man. Every high-rated player from WOW that I know thinks the best part — and pretty much only good part, honestly — about the game's PVP is its balance. I don't mean to be rude, but maybe it's a personal problem more than a design problem.

Seriously, get off your high horse man. The truth is, you don't know shit about variations in damage/healing and no one will until we have combat logs. The same goes for pvp statistics, until some type of ranking system is introduced--we don't know jack shit. All people can go off is anecdotal, what they see is what they perceive; what many see are teams of healers + tanks absolutely stomping, and certain classes that seem to have an absurd amount of tools at their disposal. Glad to know that you spend your time speaking to every single high rated WoW player for personal interviews on SWTOR pvp balance; also can you get me access to those damage and healing statistics when you're not busy?

Stop being a condescending know-it-all (especially when you have nothing but air backing up your posts) pretending to know everything about a game that's only been out for a month with a severe lack of stats/theorycrafting because of this fact and the lack of combat logs.

Milly79

Seriously, get off your high horse man. The truth is, you don't know shit about variations in damage/healing and no one will until we have combat logs. The same goes for pvp statistics, until some type of ranking system is introduced--we don't know jack shit. All people can go off is anecdotal, what they see is what they perceive; what many see are teams of healers + tanks absolutely stomping, and certain classes that seem to have an absurd amount of tools at their disposal. Glad to know that you spend your time speaking to every single high rated WoW player for personal interviews on SWTOR pvp balance; also can you get me access to those damage and healing statistics when you're not busy?

Stop being a condescending know-it-all (especially when you have nothing but air backing up your posts) pretending to know everything about a game that's only been out for a month with a severe lack of stats/theorycrafting because of this fact and the lack of combat logs.

Priapus.

So I've stopped earning light side points on my character.

I'm sitting at 9800 Light, 200 Dark because of a bad decision I make once. It says that my "effective" alignment is 9600 (Light IV). I definitely, definitely have earned light side points since this has happened and none of the above 3 numbers have changed. In fact I specifically checked this last night. Was 9800/200, chose a conversation option that gave me 150 light, I'm still 9800/200.

So, am I totally fucked out of getting Light V now? People in guild chat SWEAR up and down that anything over 10,000 subtracts from the opposite number, but this does not seem to be happening for me.

GLopez12

Neo Member

Damage meters and combat logs are needed to verify precise DPS and HPS numbers in PVE, but in PVP all that's needed to verify how much damage a class is doing is situational awareness. This is because PVP situations tend to last shorter and be more focused.

This is why high-rated players tend to know if one class is overpowered or not before the rest of the crowd does. More situational awareness allows a person to pick up on such things more quickly.

I'm not trying to sound elitist or anything. I'm just giving the perspective of high-rated players to a community that tends to be focused on PVE.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

I'm sitting at 9800 Light, 200 Dark because of a bad decision I make once. It says that my "effective" alignment is 9600 (Light IV). I definitely, definitely have earned light side points since this has happened and none of the above 3 numbers have changed. In fact I specifically checked this last night. Was 9800/200, chose a conversation option that gave me 150 light, I'm still 9800/200.

So, am I totally fucked out of getting Light V now? People in guild chat SWEAR up and down that anything over 10,000 subtracts from the opposite number, but this does not seem to be happening for me.
Sounds like a bug, you should be at 9950/200.

Trouble

Banned

The people in your guild are right. I am living proof. I hit 10000 with 200 dark side points, then scrubbed the darkside points by earning more light.

Edit: Light/Dark convo choices don't immediately apply, they apply at the completion of the quest.

HBroward

Keep in mind HM flashpoints don't actually give you the alignment points, so you have to do daily quests or regular flashes to get the points you need. Also, you don't get the points until you turn in a quest, they don't apply when you make the choice. Mine seemed to stick as well, about 150 away from Dark V, but I eventually got it.

The people in your guild are right. I am living proof. I hit 10000 with 200 dark side points, then scrubbed the darkside points by earning more light.

Edit: Light/Dark convo choices don't immediately apply, they apply at the completion of the quest.

Ohhh that explains it. It was inside a flashpoint, and we didn't finish it.

Damage meters and combat logs are needed to verify precise DPS and HPS numbers in PVE, but in PVP all that's needed to verify how much damage a class is doing is situational awareness. This is because PVP situations tend to last shorter and be more focused.

This is why high-rated players tend to know if one class is overpowered or not before the rest of the crowd does. More situational awareness allows a person to pick up on such things more quickly.

I'm not trying to sound elitist or anything. I'm just giving the perspective of high-rated players to a community that tends to be focused on PVE.

You are not the only high-rated WoW arena player to be playing TOR. Not even close.

Not to mention that doesn't make you a magical wizard of TOR PvP. Some limited authority, maybe, the sort of extravagant authority you're claiming, no, sorry.

Tess3ract

Banned
I don't buy anything for my ipod touch because everything I've tried wasn't worth the money I paid. At most most of the shit I've bought should have been free or on the PC instead.

Enosh

1st hardmode today:
in party: 2x SW 2xSI
-first boss: +aim heavy
-second boss: some cunning gear
-third boss: BH legs

second one:
in party: 1x bh 1x SW 2xSI
-first boss: heavy +strength
-second boss: sniper riffle
-third boss: Imperial agent chest

I swear the game is trolling me at this point, good thing I love doing the instances

GLopez12

Neo Member
You are not the only high-rated WoW arena player to be playing TOR. Not even close.

Not to mention that doesn't make you a magical wizard of TOR PvP. Some limited authority, maybe, the sort of extravagant authority you're claiming, no, sorry.

I never said I am the only high-rated player. I'm playing with a bunch of high-rated people, and I know a bunch of high-rated people who are playing on other servers. Arena Junkies also had a thread on SWTOR a while ago, and most posts said the game's only good quality was its balance. It's just the general consensus among high-rated players.

Considering TOR is basically a WOW clone, it does make most of us a solid authority on how PVP is shaping up.

gatti-man

1st hardmode today:
2x SW 2xSI
-first boss +aim heavy
-some cunning gear
-BH legs

secondone:
1x bh 1x SW 2xSI
-heavy +strength
-sniper riffle
-Imperial agent chest

I swear this game is trolling me at this point

Ive done 3 HMs with zero Bh gear to even roll for. Some people have all the luck.

Zafir

I still haven't got the SW Columi legs thanks to it not dropping in all the D7 HM runs I've done, and it always being assigned to other warriors in operations. I wouldn't mind so much if using commendations was much more viable. At the moment most people are probably going to get full columi before they even have half the amount of columi commendations required for a piece.

vilmer_

I'm not sure what's going on, but I've been counting 12 imps in Civil War for the past couple days now. At first I thought I was seeing things, but I'm convinced they are using some sort of glitch. It's virtually impossible to win a warzone being 4 men short :/

gatti-man

I'm not sure what's going on, but I've been counting 12 imps in Civil War for the past couple days now. At first I thought I was seeing things, but I'm convinced they are using some sort of glitch. It's virtually impossible to win a warzone being 4 men short :/

Hasnt happened with me in kv.

Miletius

I know this gets asked quite a bit, but anybody in Empire GAF that can invite? I figure I'll park an alt in there, the duo/trio that I have been playing with have been busy lately, so I haven't had good luck with my BH.

Character name is Pomo'ta'tukal.

hard modes, warzones, operations, dailies, start new story.

might just be due to other mmos, but I feel no motivation to grind it out for gear that will be outclassed sooner or later lol.

was a semi decent climb to 50 though. Really wish the planets could look a bit different besides the color =/

And the whole war theme is pretty tiresome... which is probably why I liked Voss.

Tess3ract

Banned
might just be due to other mmos, but I feel no motivation to grind it out for gear that will be outclassed sooner or later lol.

was a semi decent climb to 50 though. Really wish the planets could look a bit different besides the color =/

And the whole war theme is pretty tiresome... which is probably why I liked Voss.

This is why everyone says it would have been better as a single player game

Top Bottom