• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

might just be due to other mmos, but I feel no motivation to grind it out for gear that will be outclassed sooner or later lol.

It's funny because there's really not a great solution to that problem. FFXI took the opposite approach. The best gear in the game from the very beginning was the best gear in the game for 5+ years.

Literally, 6-7 years after the game launched, hell probably even still today people were farming the exact same world bosses as they were at the beginning. So it gives you a greater sense of accomplishment when you acquire something because you know it will always be the best, but at the same time, it's like fuck, I really do have to farm the same thing for 6 damn years.

So you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. I guess the difference is that in this game, as well as in WoW, the emphasis is on the encounters themselves. The only purpose of better gear is so you can progress to new and more difficult encounters.

Whereas in FFXI, it was the other way around. The emphasis was on the actual loot. People would flip out over the difference between Attack+1 and Attack+20 even though it mathematically made a completely negligible amount of difference in your overall DPS. But it was a prestige thing.

In this game and in WoW you can see someone walking around with literally the best item in the game and you might not even recognize it. There's no prestige associated with it.

Not saying either one is better or worse, just an interesting anecdote about the flip side of the story.

It's funny because there's really not a great solution to that problem. FFXI took the opposite approach. The best gear in the game from the very beginning was the best gear in the game for 5+ years.

Literally, 6-7 years after the game launched, hell probably even still today people were farming the exact same world bosses as they were at the beginning. So it gives you a greater sense of accomplishment when you acquire something because you know it will always be the best, but at the same time, it's like fuck, I really do have to farm the same thing for 6 damn years.

So you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. I guess the difference is that in this game, as well as in WoW, the emphasis is on the encounters themselves. The only purpose of better gear is so you can progress to new and more difficult encounters.

Whereas in FFXI, it was the other way around. The emphasis was on the actual loot. People would flip out over the difference between Attack+1 and Attack+20 even though it mathematically made a completely negligible amount of difference in your overall DPS. But it was a prestige thing.

In this game and in WoW you can see someone walking around with literally the best item in the game and you might not even recognize it. There's no prestige associated with it.

Not saying either one is better or worse, just an interesting anecdote about the flip side of the story.

Which is probably why I kinda liked games in the old days where the level cap would takes months of hours to reach. Sure it was a grind... but idk, I always enjoyed grinding for levels than gear...

And it might just be western mmos but your damage progression is pretty low from 1-50. Probably due to my love for jrpgs and silly games like Disgaea with insane damage values. I want to see bigger numbers!

bah!

Maybe I should roll a dps duder next lol.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Which is probably why I kinda liked games in the old days where the level cap would takes months of hours to reach. Sure it was a grind... but idk, I always enjoyed grinding for levels than gear...

And it might just be western mmos but your damage progression is pretty low from 1-50. Probably due to my love for jrpgs and silly games like Disgaea with insane damage values. I want to see bigger numbers!

bah!

Maybe I should roll a dps duder next lol.

Wait to see what legacy brings. There are 50 legacy levels to grind but we'll see how worth it it is.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Haven't been playing, playing anything really, but I'm paying for my first sub in a few days just because. I'm sure I'll get back in there eventually.

C.Dark.DN

Banned

You're playing down the importance of gear to people in WoW. Gear is very important to people. People spend months working to kill something and dealing with RNG loot and luck on loot. Finally getting an item along with a boss kill go hand in hand in the appeal. A lot of times certain guild mates have items you want for weeks, months. Transmogrification allowed people to show off their classic gear outside of the city.

The prestige isn't as high as FFXI, yes.

Damage meters and combat logs are needed to verify precise DPS and HPS numbers in PVE, but in PVP all that's needed to verify how much damage a class is doing is situational awareness. This is because PVP situations tend to last shorter and be more focused.

This is why high-rated players tend to know if one class is overpowered or not before the rest of the crowd does. More situational awareness allows a person to pick up on such things more quickly.

I'm not trying to sound elitist or anything. I'm just giving the perspective of high-rated players to a community that tends to be focused on PVE.

The point is you ARE sounding elitist by coming off as saying you know better because you know some high rated players and that you are yourself, whether that is your intention or not. The matter of fact is there are plenty of GAF players that enjoy pvp games more than pve games. I mean I personally find proclaiming internet creds as a bit weird but if we're going there I was in a top 80 GW guild (12 people total) that beat several teams that went to the world championships. That game is much more pvp balanced than wow will likely ever be and also much, much more team oriented in it's approach. I'm not saying this to discredit you, simply that pulling that card like you're among the unwashed masses just rubs people the wrong way.

I will say this game is not badly balanced, just certainly not perfectly balanced. The biggest problem right now is how good hybrid sage/sorc builds can be which I'm sure is being looked into as well as too much CC.

GLopez12

Neo Member
I just hope Bioware uses the Legacy System to encourage more long-term advancement — sort of like Rift has done with its Planar Attunement system — so players have some encouragement to do all sorts of content, even content that might be outdated as far as obtaining gear goes. That creates a nice sense of horizontal advancement, and it makes it so players always have a grind to do.

The point is you ARE sounding elitist by coming off as saying you know better because you know some high rated players and that you are yourself, whether that is your intention or not. The matter of fact is there are plenty of GAF players that enjoy pvp games more than pve games. I mean I personally find proclaiming internet creds as a bit weird but if we're going there I was in a top 80 GW guild (12 people total) that beat several teams that went to the world championships. That game is much more pvp balanced than wow will likely ever be and also much, much more team oriented in it's approach. I'm not saying this to discredit you, simply that pulling that card like you're among the unwashed masses just rubs people the wrong way.

I will say this game is not badly balanced, just certainly not perfectly balanced. The biggest problem right now is how good hybrid sage/sorc builds can be which I'm sure is being looked into as well as too much CC.

The game does not have too much CC. Every person can be at most hard CCed twice and then goes immune for 10-20 seconds depending on the severity of the CC. That is objectively less CC than WOW, and that game has managed fine at a competitive level. You can read more about how it works here, and I recommend you do because it's quite elegant.

Sorcerers / Sages seem good in PUGs because they are probably the best solo ranged class for PVP, but they are actually one of the classes that might have a hard time in premade vs. premade. They are locked down and fall really easily to a good melee train, and that will be very easy to pull off in rated warzones. So they probably won't be adjusted at all just because the game is balanced for group PVP.

I do think they should do something about Telekinetic Wave / Chain Lighting from a design perspective, though. Having such a potent AOE through hybrid builds just seems like cheesy gameplay. It's not necessarily overpowered because 31 Balance is better and Sages / Sorcerers are shut down and killed so easily, but it just seems like bad design.

So I was denied an invite to a HM group tonight because I was "terrible" according to one of the people in the party. Funny thing, I've never even heard of the guy who said I was terrible. The leader then told me "look you're even wearing greens, go do some dailies and get mods". So I checked my gear, sure enough I have ONE green mod, which incidentally is a level 46 green armoring. So like great I go do a daily and get a level 50 purple mod for a total increase of maybe 100 HP and 10-15 cunning. Yea, I'm sure that's going to make the difference between winning and losing.

So just for shits and giggles (since I wasn't even playing anyway but just leaving the game running in the background looking for HM shouts while I played FFXIII-2) I searched their group in /who and was refreshing every so often. They definitely wiped multiple times, and unless they have a magical group that can clear Maelstrom Prison on hard in under 45 minutes, they ended up quitting without finishing the instance anyway.

I think people get too caught up on the colors of things sometimes and forget that going from 77.35% surge rating to 77.85% surge rating is not going to make a difference. On a boss with 150,000 HP, that's a whopping 750 damage that someone has to make up somewhere.

Lain

I dinged 50 on my operative yesterday. Didn't finish the class quest (just got sent to Belsavis) and I think I'm losing the motivation to keep going.

CzarTim

Just bumping something I asked yesterday. Are there any Neogaf Empire groups on EU servers? Just about to roll Empire.

Unfortunately, the EU guilds died. The Guild Import system put them on a server that just happened to be chosen as the unofficial pvp center for many major Euro guilds, which caused uber long queues when the game launched.

haikira

Unfortunately, the EU guilds died. The Guild Import system put them on a server that just happened to be chosen as the unofficial pvp center for many major Euro guilds, which caused uber long queues when the game launched.

Ah. That's a shame. Cheers though.

So I was denied an invite to a HM group tonight because I was "terrible" according to one of the people in the party. Funny thing, I've never even heard of the guy who said I was terrible. The leader then told me "look you're even wearing greens, go do some dailies and get mods". So I checked my gear, sure enough I have ONE green mod, which incidentally is a level 46 green armoring. So like great I go do a daily and get a level 50 purple mod for a total increase of maybe 100 HP and 10-15 cunning. Yea, I'm sure that's going to make the difference between winning and losing.

So just for shits and giggles (since I wasn't even playing anyway but just leaving the game running in the background looking for HM shouts while I played FFXIII-2) I searched their group in /who and was refreshing every so often. They definitely wiped multiple times, and unless they have a magical group that can clear Maelstrom Prison on hard in under 45 minutes, they ended up quitting without finishing the instance anyway.

I think people get too caught up on the colors of things sometimes and forget that going from 77.35% surge rating to 77.85% surge rating is not going to make a difference. On a boss with 150,000 HP, that's a whopping 750 damage that someone has to make up somewhere.

Better off not playing with those kinds of people.

Ningo

So a team member sniper got given the ball as they were closest to the ball carrier we killed and decided just to stay in cover near our goal line and not do anything. Most infuriating moment i've had in pvp so far. I usually don't say anything but the reasoning given my the player is just so stupid.

And then I was cheered up. Cute for a corpse.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I usually don't take allow anyone in my HM group unless they have at least 400 expertise.

frequency

This is why I never stick with MMOs at end game if I didn't get lucky enough to meet friends along the way. Friends who aren't jackasses about 100 HP and 0.2 DPS increases.

The general progression is hit 50, get purple mods into orange gear (Dailies) while you get some pvp armor to the do normal ops or get champ gear. Then next comes HM flashpoints and finally HM Ops.

Centurion gear is roughly the same as Tionese gear, and champion gear is in the same league as columni gear.

We've been trying to accommodate our new 50s, some more generous ppl in Gaf Empire have been buying purple mods for our new 50s to get them ready for raiding/HM. Its possible to run them through the easier HM FP but some of them require a certain amount of DPS, if they don't have enough, its nearly impossible to beat some of the bosses. If you are a fresh 50 and are having trouble with HM FP, I recommend doing the dailies and pvp to get some champ bags. As for the difficulty of the HM FPs, start with HM BT, then move your way to False Emperor, Boarding Party, Foundry, Battle of Ilum, Kaon and finally D7

Here's something I found on the forums regarding drops on HM FP:
hmdropsempire.png

and for Operations:

t1opslootdraft.jpg

One final note is that Bonus bosses CAN be skipped, it can save you some time and headache once you realize they don't really drop anything good.

So I've noticed some folks on here talk about hitting 50, but not finishing their story quests. How much story is there after you level cap? I ask because my Merc is around level 28 or so and all I know storywise is that after Alderaan I should be just about done with Act I...which seems really long if there's 3 Acts and the Prologue. Like, would you then finish Act II at like level 40? 45? It seems a looong way away.

Also I really hope I get to kill Terro Blood soon, dude is such a punk.

So I've noticed some folks on here talk about hitting 50, but not finishing their story quests. How much story is there after you level cap? I ask because my Merc is around level 28 or so and all I know storywise is that after Alderaan I should be just about done with Act I...which seems really long if there's 3 Acts and the Prologue. Like, would you then finish Act II at like level 40? 45? It seems a looong way away.

It all depends on how fast you leveled to 50. Around 50 is where your class story should end, but of course everyone levels at different pace and many will hit 50 before they finish their class storyline. I was way overleveled when I first finished my act 1 and 2 for example.

I hit level cap on Voss in Act 3 on my mercenary (I pvp'd alot and grinded Boarding Party around 12 times or so for Taris commendations :D but didn't do most of the flashpoints after that). Had Correllia and final missions to do after that. Act 2 I believe brings you well into the 40s, don't remember exactly. How are you liking Alderaan? Wanting to blow up the planet yet?

CzarTim

I finished mine at 48.

arimanius

I dinged 50 on my operative yesterday. Didn't finish the class quest (just got sent to Belsavis) and I think I'm losing the motivation to keep going.

I hit 50 with my IA this weekend as well. I say power through the story line and then quit.

Tacitus_

The general progression is hit 50, get purple mods into orange gear (Dailies) while you get some pvp armor to the do normal ops or get champ gear. Then next comes HM flashpoints and finally HM Ops.

Normal mode ops are so easy you could probably do them in greens. Easiest way to gear people up.

Thanks for the notes, guys. I suddenly stopped caring about FPs and heroics when I got to Tatooine but that was mainly because I wanted to get the hell off that rock. I'll probably take my time a little more and work on clearing FPs as I go (I haven't missed any yet so far except Mandalorian Raiders, which I'm only a little over levelled for).

I hit level cap on Voss in Act 3 on my mercenary (I pvp'd alot and grinded Boarding Party around 12 times or so for Taris commendations :D but didn't do most of the flashpoints after that). Had Correllia and final missions to do after that. Act 2 I believe brings you well into the 40s, don't remember exactly. How are you liking Alderaan? Wanting to blow up the planet yet?

I've been there for 10 minutes and I already want to kill all the nobles. Tarkin did the galaxy a favor blowing that rock of idiots up.

Thanks for the notes, guys. I suddenly stopped caring about FPs and heroics when I got to Tatooine but that was mainly because I wanted to get the hell off that rock. I'll probably take my time a little more and work on clearing FPs as I go (I haven't missed any yet so far except Mandalorian Raiders, which I'm only a little over levelled for).

I've been there for 10 minutes and I already want to kill all the nobles. Tarkin did the galaxy a favor blowing that rock of idiots up.

Haha surprisingly, I've heard that you get a much warmer reception if you play as a sith character. They just treat BH like garbage

Patryn

I was level 34 when I finished Act 1, and I just finished Act 2 at level 43.

Dunlop

Man, I cannot wait for the day that they nerf Sorc/Sages so bad you'll need to sign up for SWG to play them.

I wouldn't hold your breath, the OP'ness was known back in Beta. Now you have a huge portion of your playerbase that plays this specific class.

I have a 50 Assassin and 50 OP. Opened 20 bags between the 2 this weekend. 2 pieces both on my Assassin. Can't wait for the bag changes in 1.2. My OP is useless in PVP after hitting 50.
Well then I can't complain too much then.. About two weeks of hard pvp I've managed to get full champ except chest/legs.

I heard the change is going to give more cent commendations, anything else?

arimanius

Well then I can't complain too much then.. About two weeks of hard pvp I've managed to get full champ except chest/legs.

I heard the change is going to give more cent commendations, anything else?

I believe they are also making the item tokens appear more frequently as well.

I believe they are also making the item tokens appear more frequently as well.

They are taking out champion tokens altogether. Each champion bag will have 15 centurion commendations and 7 champion commendations. So it becomes a more steady progression toward pvp gear. I actually like the change, a champ piece ranges from 38 (implants) -123 (mainhand) commendations, depending on the type. Its better than hoping you get something and hoping its not something you have (have 9 implants, still no gloves or helmet :p)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2452276#edit2452276
It's obvious from comments here that the patch note is not specific enough, so we'll get it updated before the patch goes to the live servers. Here are some specifics:

Champion Bags now always contain 15 Centurion Commendations AND 7 Champion Commendations. Battlemaster Bags now always contain 15 Champion Commendations. So Centurion gearing up progression for new level 50s is increased significantly and Champion gearing up progression will be steady.

We do still intend on adding more intro level 50 PvP items as well as change how Battlemaster Commendations operate toward the same 'steady' goal. It's just the scope of that change was more than could be done in a weekly patch as it included vendor changes, conversions to existing commendations on players already, etc.

That being said, the current interim 'gearing up' system will change significantly when we introduce Ranked Warzones (aiming for Game Update 1.2). Stay tuned for more details on that.

- Gabe

Enosh

Man, I cannot wait for the day that they nerf Sorc/Sages so bad you'll need to sign up for SWG to play them.
whats your class? because I scream with joy every time I see one, o.k. healing sages with better gear than me can be annoying since I have problems to out dps their healing before their friends show up

arimanius

They are taking out champion tokens altogether. Each champion bag will have 15 centurion commendations and 7 champion commendations. So it becomes a more steady progression toward pvp gear. I actually like the change, a champ piece ranges from 38 (implants) -123 (mainhand) commendations, depending on the type. Its better than hoping you get something and hoping its not something you have (have 9 implants, still no gloves or helmet :p)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=2452276#edit2452276

I like that they are upping the amount of commendations. PVP all weekend long and not being able to buy anything is infuriating at best.

Will the bags will still contain a Unassembled Champion Piece randomly as well?

I'm still trying to get my head around all the PVP commendations and pieces. Both my guys got to 50 this weekend.

I like that they are upping the amount of commendations. PVP all weekend long and not being able to buy anything is infuriating at best.

Will the bags will still contain a Unassembled Champion Piece randomly as well?

I'm still trying to get my head around all the PVP commendations and pieces. Both my guys got to 50 this weekend.

No I believe they are removing Unassembled Champion Piece completely, you'll only get commendations after the patch hits. But for Battlemaster (valor 60) bags there is still a chance to get Unassembled Battlemaster Pieces (for now at least) .

Klorox33

Neo Member
might just be due to other mmos, but I feel no motivation to grind it out for gear that will be outclassed sooner or later lol.

I have done HM BT 7 ish times and have only received one implant. I have seen the same loot drop almost every time. I know its random but it is a running joke in my guild at this point. My pet vector has more gear from Hardmodes at this point. Luckily you can build decent gear from the daily quests that can carry you through this.

The PVP grind and this random bag shit is defiantly garbage and discouraging. In WoW you could do a couple sets of 2v2 arena and come away with a decent nub weapon. I can understand making the Champion and Battlemasters stuff harder to get but why not make the centurion stuff really simple to acquire.

Game would be more fun with a more accessible carrot on a stick and not a bunch of random BS

I have done HM BT 7 ish times and have only received one implant. I have seen the same loot drop almost every time. I know its random but it is a running joke in my guild at this point. My pet vector has more gear from Hardmodes at this point. Luckily you can build decent gear from the daily quests that can carry you through this.

The PVP grind and this random bag shit is defiantly garbage and discouraging. In WoW you could do a couple sets of 2v2 arena and come away with a decent nub weapon. I can understand making the Champion and Battlemasters stuff harder to get but why not make the centurion stuff really simple to acquire.

Game would be more fun with a more accessible carrot on a stick and not a bunch of random BS

That's why the change to bags is going to be a godsend to new 50s. You'll be getting a guaranteed 15 centurion commendaions per bag so by the time you hit valor 60 and are ready for Battlemaster bags, you'll have too many centurion commendations to know what to do with. I don't know the exact cost of centurion pieces but I believe they're on par with the champion piece costs.

So how vital is pvp at 50 for gear?

Not a big fan of pvp in this game, and don't really enjoy sweep bombing as a guardian.

Doing pvp is usually one of the easiest ways to get good gear that helps for doing more end game content, it's just a grind. Otherwise you just gotta work on doing HM's and dailies to try and build up.

Doing pvp is usually one of the easiest ways to get good gear that helps for doing more end game content, it's just a grind. Otherwise you just gotta work on doing HM's and dailies to try and build up.

Personally I got about 6 pieces from the GTN each with about a 126 item rating, and then crafted 2 more from my 300 Armormech skill and already learned the purple schematics through REing a few of them, and now just working on getting the Mastercraft versions.

I think I bought 2 purple earnings, a purple implant, 2 purple blasters, and 1 or 2 purple mods.

I think if you get orange gear and stack it with purple mods it will be slightly better than item rating 126 purple gear you can buy from the GTN, but not much. But GTN gear is easily more than enough to start doing hards, and then you can gear up the rest in the hards themselves.

If you're broke, do 1 round of Ilum and Belsavis dailies should net you 150-200k (as well as a few purple mods if you do the heroic dailies) so you can buy what you need.

@chickdigger: I'll probably be online tonight if you wanna do the heroic dailies (always have trouble getting a tank).

Get as much of the Ilum storyline as you can done, because each leg of the quest opens up a new daily on Ilum.

For Belsavis, you need to do the bonus series there before the dailies unlock.

arimanius

No I believe they are removing Unassembled Champion Piece completely, you'll only get commendations after the patch hits. But for Battlemaster (valor 60) bags there is still a chance to get Unassembled Battlemaster Pieces (for now at least) .

AH, I thought they were upping the commendations and keeping the Unassembled Champion Piece.

It's still a change in the right direction. Now I will know exactly how many bags I need to get in order to buy a certain item.

Top Bottom