• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Heysoos

That's pretty ridiculous and stupid. That guy is the single hardest heroic boss in ANY flashpoint. Unless they nerfed him, I haven't done it in a couple weeks, he's the only thing in any FPs that require any significant amount of healing or coordination (Even CCing 2 of the robots and then all 3 at the end, it's a ton of damage).

We figured out that the bonus boss has no enrage timer, so what we started doing is having our DPS/Heals start walking back to the entrance to the giant Rakghoul boss fight, and right behind was the tank leading the bonus back to our location. Since the adds would spawn back where the bonus was originally placed, we usually finished off the boss just before/right as the adds were getting to us.

CzarTim

your class story will likely not be extended till the next major expansion I assume.

They have already confirmed "single player missions" for classes. But I expect them to be one-off missions and not a whole new chapter.

I contacted my state's department of revenue because WoW has no subscription tax and SWTOR does and they replied with this:

Unless I'm missing a physical presence in my state, I'm under the impression they made the choice to tax us to have some kind of *financial befit. Along with any other state in the same scenario.

*I don't know what happens after they get the sales tax in their pocket, but it goes in their pocket first and they get to keep it for a month at least? Probably longer. Having millions in your pocket seems pretty beneficial. I'm ignorant here.

Unless I'm wrong on this, I've made the personal decision to only buy game cards from a retailer I like from now on. I get hung up on principles.

How much time have you spent over 2 bucks?

Nice!

Ask the tough questions of hood toggle and big butts.

If hes sober when he goes, bunch of guildies in that area so they will probably be partying before our leader heads to the summit.

More focus on romancing companions should take priority I think :p

They have already confirmed "single player missions" for classes. But I expect them to be one-off missions and not a whole new chapter.

I know they said new single player quests and such, but did they say class specific ones? Would imagine easiest would be for them to add new dailies and gear to grind for with content updates, tie into any current storyline. Be cool if they do extend actual class storylines in any meaningful way before any expansion though.

Moaradin

I really want to know how they are going to expand the class story. Some stories end with you officially joining the other faction lol.

Cystm

Battle Master bags are officially broken.

A4-I4 said:

Good to know!

xwczG.gif

CzarTim

I know they said new single player quests and such, but did they say class specific ones? Would imagine easiest would be for them to add new dailies and gear to grind for with content updates, tie into any current storyline. Be cool if they do extend actual class storylines in any meaningful way before any expansion though.

It'd bet money that each class will have at least one instanced mission before the next expansion.

They aren't long, and it's a good way go get people to come back.

Cystm

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Had a really funny bug this afternoon. We were doing my girlfriend's Consular class quest where we had to capture some ship. Her crew were helping us from inside her ship via holo. It seems they must have been having their own fun while we were busy getting shot at:

Also, almost as funny, one of the people on her ship seemed to be having a "small" problem with his head once he was aboard.

Good times!

Enosh

yesterday: ah fuck it, shit never drops anyway, lets buy the damn columni head piece for 60 something tokens
today: KP normal, guess what drops for me on the first boss -.-

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Battle Master bags are officially broken.

Good to know!

xwczG.gif

They updated that post, apparently the guy didn't know what he was talking about:

Apologies about this, but our CSR made an error in his earlier statement. We have tested the Battlemaster Commendations and they are working as intended, per Gabe's previous post. The chance for a Battlemaster Commendation to be in a Battlemaster Bag is still 25%.

Had a really funny bug this afternoon. We were doing my girlfriend's Consular class quest where we had to capture some ship. Her crew were helping us from inside her ship via holo. It seems they must have been having their own fun while we were busy getting shot at:!

Yea I had that happen near the end of my Sith storyline. Companion was on holo in undies and goes "nothing unusual going on here" .... I lol'd

Varna

I think I will be taking a break now. I still enjoy the game a lot and will continue to sub... but now that the initial new game feeling has worn off I am feeling a bit disappointed. This game really makes me nostalgic for old school mmos. Exploring huge worlds with no real goal in mind, really slow experience and gear advancement that made every actual upgrade feel worthwhile and just a great sense of community. Hopefully big content patch (any date on this?) adds a substantial amount of content and fixes (and hopefully high res textures).

A bit odd topic but are there any newish MMOs like what I described?

bjb

Banned
I contacted my state's department of revenue because WoW has no subscription tax and SWTOR does and they replied with this:

Unless I'm missing a physical presence in my state, I'm under the impression they made the choice to tax us to have some kind of *financial befit. Along with any other state in the same scenario.

*I don't know what happens after they get the sales tax in their pocket, but it goes in their pocket first and they get to keep it for a month at least? Probably longer. Having millions in your pocket seems pretty beneficial. I'm ignorant here.

Unless I'm wrong on this, I've made the personal decision to only buy game cards from a retailer I like from now on. I get hung up on principles.

Please tell me you're not serious.

Cystm

It's what you get for dumping all that time in to pvp instead of pve.

Silly Goose. PvE get's stale after the first clear. While PvP can be stale depending on your opponents, luckily there are enough decent players to keep me coming back for more. It would be nice though, If I did not have to wait more than 3 weeks for a single commendation, let alone the 3 that you need to buy 1 piece of gear.

Also, Inquisitor raid gear looks shit.

Ramirez

Whoever designed this class stuff of going back and forth to low level planets and the fleet can fuck off.

I make the long run to Garza's HQ on Coruscant, only to have her tell me to go relax at the Fleet, so I gotta travel all the way there to just turn in some random quest for 1800 XP, THEN go right back to Coruscant. This is like the 3rd time I've had to do this, so freaking stupid.

Whoever designed this class stuff of going back and forth to low level planets and the fleet can fuck off.

I make the long run to Garza's HQ on Coruscant, only to have her tell me to go relax at the Fleet, so I gotta travel all the way there to just turn in some random quest for 1800 XP, THEN go right back to Coruscant. This is like the 3rd time I've had to do this, so freaking stupid.

Welcome to level 40.

Yea, it fucking blows.

Cystm

I don't think this has been posted before...

Made me laugh. Bleeps in SWTOR.

Yeah, that shit does get old quick.

StudioTan

While it should have been changed I'll quote a post I found on Reddit that explains better why it's there:

Getting sent back to the fleet doesn't really make sense right now, but it did in beta, back in the builds preceding the big invite weekends. Back then when you finished your first act (unless you stayed back and did ALL or at least a big chunk of the bonus series') you would be a few levels shy of the starting level requirement for the second act starting quest. It wasn't that it was red, you couldn't even pick the damned quest up. You got sent back to the fleet, where you would run into several breadcrumb quests pointing towards various bonus series questlines. This was most likely done so that you could use these bonus questlines to reach the level requirement for the next act. The whole R&R thing kind of made sense in this context.

However, they retooled the XP curve sometime in November, and as a result, the bonus series quests were no longer as crucial in this aspect. You pretty much get finished with the first act right about the perfect level to start the second act.

The crime of all this is that they left something in which originally was there to streamline the experience, and then re-streamlined it elsewhere, making this step of the quest redundant. As a result, to the critical eye it seems... painfully out of place at best.

My buddy and I are rolling republic alts after we get established on our empire characters.

My main is a merc healer and my roommate is a sith juggernaut. We kinda lucked out with entertaining quests and complimentary classes.

What are the best republic class stories not the opposites of our current classes? Im interested in the trooper for example but I'm pretty sure it's a reskinned bounty hunter.

Giolon

While it should have been changed I'll quote a post I found on Reddit that explains better why it's there:

Thank you. I was about to type that exact explaination up myself. Does it excuse the fact that the R&R quest right now are annoying and break the quest flow? No, it doesn't. But the way some people are blowing up over it like this guy here and Gabe from PA are kind of making a mountain out of a molehill. These R&R quests pop up exactly twice in your hundred-plus hours of playtime on your journey from level 1 - 50.

Thank you. I was about to type that exact explaination up myself. Does it excuse the fact that the R&R quest right now are annoying and break the quest flow? No, it doesn't. But the way some people are blowing up over it like this guy here and Gabe from PA are kind of making a mountain out of a molehill. These R&R quests pop up exactly twice in your hundred-plus hours of playtime on your journey from level 1 - 50.

I kinda felt like it fit nicely. But that's just me.

You finish the huge quest line and go to the fleet to regroup. Pretty neat.

daoster

My buddy and I are rolling republic alts after we get established on our empire characters.

My main is a merc healer and my roommate is a sith juggernaut. We kinda lucked out with entertaining quests and complimentary classes.

What are the best republic class stories not the opposites of our current classes? Im interested in the trooper for example but I'm pretty sure it's a reskinned bounty hunter.

I wouldn't say that the Smuggler's story is the best written, but it's very amusing, and he has some choice lines. Plus, and I haven't played all the other classes on the Republic side, but it seems like the Smuggler has the better collection of NPCs.

I'm playing the Consular story, and though I'm not too far into it (just got my ship), I'm enjoying it. People say the first act is pretty lame, but it's kinda nice change of pace from the Smuggler, who was very far removed from the whole Jedi/Sith stuff. Supposedly the story is pretty good in Acts 2 and 3 though.

Trooper and smuggler. The jedi I found boring but everyone says they get interesting in the later chapters, but haven't gotten far with either 2

Scirrocco

Trooper and smuggler. The jedi I found boring but everyone says they get interesting in the later chapters, but haven't gotten far with either 2

I'm surprised anyone recommends the Trooper story. I got mine to fifty, and i thought the story was... not terrible but definitely not memorable. It was so generic. There never seemed much a point to anything you did, and you never really seemed connected to the game universe. I would not recommend the class for its story, although it was pretty fun to play.

Right now i'm rerolling a jedi knight and they seem interesting. Not sure why people say they're boring. Maybe going dark side makes things more interesting.

As for gameplay, taking another AC makes the class play very differently, so i wouldn't worry to much taking a class that mirrors you're empire one.

StudioTan

Pretty much my only character is a Smuggler (level 48 still) so I don't have a lot to compare with except my girlfriend's Consular story of which I've seen 80% since we've duoed everything so far, but I loved the Smuggler story. Not so much for the plot but just for the lines my smuggler gets to say, some really funny shit, plus all the flirting and sex is fun.

The story is very light-hearted and fun, very much in the Han Solo vein.

Giolon

1.1.4 PTR Patch Notes:

1.1.4 PTR Patch Notes said:
Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ — 1.1.4 Patch Notes

General
•The key formerly bound to /bug can now be mapped to any action and no longer opens the /bug window. The command is no longer able to be bound to a quickslot, but player can still type /bug in chat to open a new bug report.

Classes and Combat

General
•Using abilities with indirect targeting (such as area of effect abilities) will no longer cause players to be flagged for PvP if a PvP-flagged player from the opposing faction is within the ability's range, and the ability will have no effect on the PvP-flagged player.

Imperial Agent

Operative
•Medical Therapy: Kolto Probe and Recuperative nanotech will now properly benefit from this skill.

Bounty Hunter

Powertech
•Carbonize: PvP armor for Combat Tech will no longer prevent this skill from stunning enemies.

Flashpoints and Operations

Operations

Eternity Vault
•Casting Mind Trap will no longer cause Soa to lose threat against his primary target.

Karagga's Palace
•G4-B3 Heavy Fabricator now has fewer hit points in Normal Mode.

Items

Vendors
•“Show Usable” now properly filters to only show equipable items.

Missions and NPCs

Missions

Republic
•Unlikely Allies: Resetting no longer requires players to abandon and re-acquire the mission in order to complete it.

PvP

Warzones

Alderaan Civil War
•The Eastern Turret no longer fires twice under some circumstances when it is captured by the Imperials.

UI

General
•Added a /version command.
•Added several new preferences for cooldown appearance:

•Show Ready Flash: Toggles a bright flash when an ability finishes cooldown.
•Show Global Cooldown Ready Flash: Toggles a bright flash when an ability finishes global cooldown.
•Cooldown Style: Changes the art style for the cooldown graphic.
•Global Cooldown Style: Changes the art style for the global cooldown graphic.
•Show Cooldown Timer: Toggles cooldown time text on top of the ability icon in the quickbar.

Bug Fixes
•Sorting will now function properly in the Guild Window.
•Items placed in a quickbar are no longer removed when training abilities.
•Using Shift + Right Click to split a stack of usable items will no longer cause the item to be used.

Miscellaneous Bug Fixes
•Players will no longer experience occasional disconnection when purchasing Crafting Materials from the GTN.

I bolded what I feel is the important stuff.

Giolon

(Edit: These patch notes were available about 5 minutes ago on the http://www.swtor.com/test-center/patchnotes page, but now it says patch notes unavailable. I copy/pasted them myself.)

1.1.4 PTR Patch Notes:

1.1.4 PTR Patch Notes said:
Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ — 1.1.4 Patch Notes

General
•The key formerly bound to /bug can now be mapped to any action and no longer opens the /bug window. The command is no longer able to be bound to a quickslot, but player can still type /bug in chat to open a new bug report.

Classes and Combat

General
•Using abilities with indirect targeting (such as area of effect abilities) will no longer cause players to be flagged for PvP if a PvP-flagged player from the opposing faction is within the ability's range, and the ability will have no effect on the PvP-flagged player.

Imperial Agent

Operative
•Medical Therapy: Kolto Probe and Recuperative nanotech will now properly benefit from this skill.

Bounty Hunter

Powertech
•Carbonize: PvP armor for Combat Tech will no longer prevent this skill from stunning enemies.

Flashpoints and Operations

Operations

Eternity Vault
•Casting Mind Trap will no longer cause Soa to lose threat against his primary target.

Karagga's Palace
•G4-B3 Heavy Fabricator now has fewer hit points in Normal Mode.

Items

Vendors
•“Show Usable” now properly filters to only show equipable items.

Missions and NPCs

Missions

Republic
•Unlikely Allies: Resetting no longer requires players to abandon and re-acquire the mission in order to complete it.

PvP

Warzones

Alderaan Civil War
•The Eastern Turret no longer fires twice under some circumstances when it is captured by the Imperials.

UI

General
•Added a /version command.
•Added several new preferences for cooldown appearance:

•Show Ready Flash: Toggles a bright flash when an ability finishes cooldown.
•Show Global Cooldown Ready Flash: Toggles a bright flash when an ability finishes global cooldown.
•Cooldown Style: Changes the art style for the cooldown graphic.
•Global Cooldown Style: Changes the art style for the global cooldown graphic.
•Show Cooldown Timer: Toggles cooldown time text on top of the ability icon in the quickbar.

Bug Fixes
•Sorting will now function properly in the Guild Window.
•Items placed in a quickbar are no longer removed when training abilities.
•Using Shift + Right Click to split a stack of usable items will no longer cause the item to be used.

Miscellaneous Bug Fixes
•Players will no longer experience occasional disconnection when purchasing Crafting Materials from the GTN.

I bolded what I feel is the important stuff.

Playable Torguta, Voss, and Nautolan would be easy additions since they already a bunch in the game and seem to be customizable pretty easily with how you can equip them or variety in the npcs presented.

The issue with head conflicts and helmets would just have to be ignored as they are with lot of the Twileks wearing helms.

Thoraxes

Had a really funny bug this afternoon. We were doing my girlfriend's Consular class quest where we had to capture some ship. Her crew were helping us from inside her ship via holo. It seems they must have been having their own fun while we were busy getting shot at:

Also, almost as funny, one of the people on her ship seemed to be having a "small" problem with his head once he was aboard.

Good times!

That's still not fixed? You'll love the end cutscene for the storyline then lol. It's great because of that bug.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm holding off on leveling a Sorc because I'm hoping for Chiss sith characters with legacy. I will be severely disappointed if that class/race combo is neglected.

jersoc

omg, a notification and timers for CD. fucking finally. way to reach 2012 with mmo design bioware!

what they need for a legacy reward is sprint at lvl 1 imo.

Top Bottom