• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

KePoW

Banned
The only reason there are ACs is so they'd only have to write 8 class stories instead of 16. When you chose your AC, it said it was final, and it should stay that way.

This is the correct answer. What tesseract is saying is wrong.

AC is basically a totally different class, it should not be changed.

Tess3ract

Banned
This is the correct answer. What tesseract is saying is wrong.

AC is basically a totally different class, it should not be changed.
If it's not the same class (when there is too much similarities and overlap for it to be said it is not the same class) then it should be treated as different classes, from the start.

If it's not the same class (when there is too much similarities and overlap for it to be said it is not the same class) then it should be treated as different classes, from the start.

A person can run through the first 10 levels and get into their AC in less than 2 hours, it's not a big deal to restart.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Thank you everyone for the input!

Heck, I think just getting a lot of supportive replies - rather than "catch up/play more" posts - really helps out. Being my first MMO, and knowing how serious people get about them, I kept feeling like I was falling behind. But I suppose you all are correct; I should just play at my own pace like I would with any other game.

And I have been saving money; I've skipped quite a few releases already, and will be in the foreseeable future. But, lol, I just can't say no to a new Mass Effect or a new Metal Gear ;p

Anyhoo, I think I'll log back on tonight for a couple hours, and just try to put in 5 or 6 hours a week, which means I should hopefully hit 50 by sometime in March. That's not awful. And then instead of grinding end-game, I may just go back and enjoy the stories of another class.

Thank you, all!

Cystm

The guild summit is going to be live streamed for free.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/guild-summit-update

Thank you to all of the guild leaders who submitted applications to attend the first Guild Summit in Austin. We are currently reviewing guild applications and will be responding back to everyone who applied in the next few days.

For those who are unable to attend the Guild Summit for one reason or another, we’re very happy to announce that we will be providing a livestream of select events during the Guild Summit, including developer presentations and feedback discussions. These livestreams will allow players from around the world to observe and participate in some of the event discussions as well. As a reminder, the Guild Summit will be conducted in English, but anyone can join in on the livestream regardless of their location. If you can’t watch the livestream during the Summit, we’ll also be publishing videos of the panels after the event has ended. As we get closer to the event, we’ll provide more details for how you can get involved. Stay tuned!

KePoW

Banned

I have no problem with you saying they should be treated as different classes from the start.

But it's obvious why they chose to do it this way, as CzarTim said earlier... it's so they didn't have to do double the story development and voice work, which would be substantial. I can easily give them a pass on this, because it's already crazy how many voice lines are in this game.

It's clear to me they meant this game to have 8 different classes, not 4.

Tess3ract

Banned
I stopped reading at

18. Target of target hotkey.

which is in the game aswell.
You should read the rest. It's in there if you target a guildy and press alt-t, but there is no real way to track it.

And I don't know where you guys are seeing it, but I can't find where it shows a guildie's last login

Francois424

Neo Member
*snip* And I don't know where you guys are seeing it, but I can't find where it shows a guildie's last login

Ok it isn't just me... I was wondering how to check that as well.
Very interested on the how-to's if anyone want to share.

This game also needs a "Friends" channel; where you can chat with all your friends without inviting them in Parties or custom channels all the time.
But it's in the "nice to have" category, and we manage some other ways.

PS: No we can't create a guild togetter as most of my friends are in different guilds and like them, so it woudn't be practical.

[Edit: Thanks CzarTim, will try that tonight when back from work! ]

CzarTim

In the guild panel there's a small arrow pointing down on the right column. The options are rank, member/officer note, and last played.

This game also needs a "Friends" channel as well; where you can chat with all your friends without inviting them in Parties or custom channels all the time.

PS: No we can't create a guild together as most of my friends are in different guilds and like them, so it woudn't be practical.
Creating custom channel is exactly what you want. The chat function remembers which ones you've joined from session-to-session, so I don't see why that's a problem.

Tess3ract

Banned
Ok it isn't just me... I was wondering how to check that as well.
Very interested on the how-to's if anyone want to share.

This game also needs a "Friends" channel; where you can chat with all your friends without inviting them in Parties or custom channels all the time.

PS: No we can't create a guild togetter as most of my friends are in different guilds and like them, so it woudn't be practical.

[Edit: Thanks CzarTim, will try that tonight when back from work! ]

Just make one chat channel and you'll autojoin it on login

Francois424

Neo Member
In the guild panel there's a small arrow pointing down on the right column. The options are rank, member/officer note, and last played.

Creating custom channel is exactly what you want. The chat function remembers which ones you've joined from session-to-session, so I don't see why that's a problem.

Just make one chat channel and you'll autojoin it on login

Looks like I've got lots of things to check tonight.
Thanks Guys.

zugzug

Just gotta laugh at World PvP on Voss, get attacked while looking at a vendor in town. by the by, lvl 50 attacks a lvl 48 getting first alpha strike.

Person wins battle earns nothing rides away.

Truly MMO designers are flat out retarded and should quit their jobs.

MMO designers have no clue what a PvP server entails.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just gotta laugh at World PvP on Voss, get attacked while looking at a vendor in town. by the by, lvl 50 attacks a lvl 48 getting first alpha strike.

Person wins battle earns nothing rides away.
Can't you unflag PvP while in the main town there?

Cystm

Inquisitors/Consulars just make pvp unfun.

xWzrQ.jpg

There are way too many though.

Miletius

Unflagging only occurs if you're in a safe zone for 5 mins. Correct me if wrong.

Correct. I accidentally discovered this because I wandered into a Republic town and got flagged. All night long I was flagged, and at first I thought it was because I was grouped with a bunch of friends (and you know the old "plague spreading" meme from Vanilla and BC WoW). I finally figured it out when hovering over the icon that I needed to stay in town to be get unflagged.

Does anyone have a sniper build that utilizes engineering that they enjoy? I've been testing out a lethality/engy hybrid and while the damage is nice, I have so much less energy and defense than before.

And please don't tell me to go MM for PvP, I know that's always viable, but everyone's a cookie cutter MM these days.

It's funny hearing so many familiar voices in this game. It's like a who's who of BioWare voice talent.

I love Darth Jadus especially, I've heard that guy's voice in so many history documentaries. It's great.

I dont think so. The higher up i get the more i enjoy pvp and learn to deal with each classes strengths and weaknesses.

Have you been in PVP where the other team comprise mainly of Sith Sorceror? It's really not fun, especially Huttball. Not sure how it is at 50 since I am not there yet, but it's defninitely not fun 49 and below when you are facing with 5-6 Sorceror all throwing lighning at you while bubbling.

I think sorcs/sages are fine from a PVP standpoint when it comes to damage/healing.

It's their fucking movement altering skills that's broken, especially in Huttball. Force speed, the friendly grapple, and knockbacks. Ball carriers need some kind of grounded effect that does more than just lower movement speed.

MIKEAL

Banned
I think the sorc healers are a bit op. They can fully heal within seconds of being attacked, attack you back, and potentially kill you if they have better gear. Even if you can kill one, it takes far longer than it should, even when you get a good leading attack on them they can quickly recover with one spell

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Umm...... what?

Pending: USD $16.38

The sub really has sales tax?

"Please note that some U.S. states have instituted sales and/or usage taxes on online subscription services. Please check with your state's Revenue Department to find out whether your subscription is subject to taxation, and for information on the rate charged."

Why doesn't WoW's sub have tax in my state? WTF is this?

darkwing

Have you been in PVP where the other team comprise mainly of Sith Sorceror? It's really not fun, especially Huttball. Not sure how it is at 50 since I am not there yet, but it's defninitely not fun 49 and below when you are facing with 5-6 Sorceror all throwing lighning at you while bubbling.

there's a reason why there's so many sorcs, lightning

I dont think so. The higher up i get the more i enjoy pvp and learn to deal with each classes strengths and weaknesses.

Whatever team has the most Consulars/Inq, is going to win the WZ. It's just how it always goes. At 50 it just gets worse once they are loaded up in expertise and have almost as many hitpoints as the friggin tanks.

Umm...... what?

Pending: USD $16.38

The sub really has sales tax?

"Please note that some U.S. states have instituted sales and/or usage taxes on online subscription services. Please check with your state's Revenue Department to find out whether your subscription is subject to taxation, and for information on the rate charged."

Why doesn't WoW's sub have tax in my state? WTF is this?

When did you last sub to WoW, because WoW does charge tax on it's subs depending on state as well.

Blitzzz

Does anyone have a sniper build that utilizes engineering that they enjoy? I've been testing out a lethality/engy hybrid and while the damage is nice, I have so much less energy and defense than before.

And please don't tell me to go MM for PvP, I know that's always viable, but everyone's a cookie cutter MM these days.

I use the smug equivalent of MM/Eng.... was full leathality from lvl 25-47. Damage is about the same and energy is much easier to manage but lack of mobility and survivability make it less fun than full Leathality imo.

Zafir

Even damage specced sorc's are tedious though. I mean on my Merc, I can't do much healing since I'm not specced for it, it heals for pathetic amounts, and uses far too much heat to be viable. That doesn't seem to be the case for damage specced sorc's.

Maybe that's just because the Force system is a lot more forgiving though.

Ningo

So before I logged tonight I decided to consolidate all the possessions of my toons on Kellers void as I play on the harbringer and soon the aussie servers. Whom in the guild should I send the stuff to? or would you prefer me to wait until guild bank is implemented and deposit in there?

DarkFlow

Banned
Is origin the only place to buy a digital download? I only ask because It's 49.99 on amazon for the disc and 59.99 on origin for a download. I don't have a cd drive on my pc so Amazon is a no go.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
When did you last sub to WoW, because WoW does charge tax on it's subs depending on state as well.
Looking at their FAQ I do see 7 states with subscription tax.

But mine, Tenn, hasn't had tax in the past 6 years and my sub currently active.

I don't see why WoW wouldn't and SWTOR would especially since WoW's website says "With the rise of many online subscription-based services, several states have begun to apply a tax to services that use such a mode."

Dunlop

I think the sorc healers are a bit op

They are far and away the most powerful healer in the game, there is absolutely no reason to ever take another healer if there is a sorc present.

It's been like that since beta and it is the reason the sorc is by far the most played class in the game, which put Bioware in a crunch when they try to nerf them

It's not to say the other healers suck, but in most MMO's each healer class will generally bring something that it excels at to the table.

They are far and away the most powerful healer in the game, there is absolutely no reason to ever take another healer if there is a sorc present.

It's been like that since beta and it is the reason the sorc is by far the most played class in the game, which put Bioware in a crunch when they try to nerf them

It's not to say the other healers suck, but in most MMO's each healer class will generally bring something that it excels at to the table.

They don't really need to nerf the healing, they need to nerf the power of their swiss army knife nature. They can just pretty much everything . They are awesome healers, then give them actual weaknesses and take away from other aspects.

Tess3ract

Banned

It could easily be fixed by making the Trooper/Smugger aoe heals hit every target in range, rather than a certain number of people. It wouldn't quite fix it, but would help.

Someone from Bioware better be in here.

Milly79

I don't see why WoW wouldn't and SWTOR would especially since WoW's website says "With the rise of many online subscription-based services, several states have begun to apply a tax to services that use such a mode."

How much does yours come out to? I know mine is more than the standard 14.99 or whatever (in TN).

Hari Seldon

They don't really need to nerf the healing, they need to nerf the power of their swiss army knife nature. They can just pretty much everything . They are awesome healers, then give them actual weaknesses and take away from other aspects.

They could just buff the other healing specs.

Tess3ract

Banned
Yeah this isn't a fault of the class, it's how it was designed from the ground up.

They should be making the other classes more useful, not nerfing the ones that are good.

HBroward

It may have to do with EA having opened retail stores in some states, that may be triggering the tax. It's similar to how Amazon collects internet sales tax in states that they have a physical presence in. It's federal law.

Yeah this isn't a fault of the class, it's how it was designed from the ground up.

They should be making the other classes more useful, not nerfing the ones that are good.

Buff and work on all the other classes, or tone down one? Hmmmm

It's also nothing about pure healing, it's the whole jack of all trades awesomeness (OPness) of the class. And healing again is not the issue really with the class, the others may need buff in their healing. The problem with the class is how it can do everything well. Expertise and HP given out in pvp gear also makes the concept of light armor pointless when worn by these classes also.

Game is not hard at all, buffing everyone is not going to help anything. Toning down the problem class is more important.

Game has an issue when Inq/consulars alone can run any instance with a group made up of nothing but the same class, and when that single class is usually the determining factor in pvp matches when it comes to "who has the most of them on their side"

Tess3ract

Banned
It's easier to nerf than to buff yes.

But having played one class and then playing some of the others, yeah it's a jack of all trades, but that's why I like it. It's like playing a paladin imo.

TBH though once they did that really shitty combo system thing for paladins I shelved my main indefinitely. It didn't make the class less boring, it made it too tedious. I went and played a shaman instead and had 1000000 times more fun.

Game has an issue when Inq/consulars alone can run any instance with a group made up of nothing but the same class, and when that single class is usually the determining factor in pvp matches when it comes to "who has the most of them on their side"

Or a group full of mercs

or a group full of ops

Okay those two things don't happen that often but I feel that's more of an issue with ranged itself. If you've got a full team of any healers it's pretty shitty.

Troopers I feel are pretty bad in pvp though.

Top Bottom