• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Cystm

So, looking at the answers from the guild summit, there's no real reason to grind Valor for BM once 1.2 comes around...

bolded what I found important

I need to be a warlord. I missed out on high warlord on my rogue in vanilla and it will never happen again. :( I am also incredibly anal when it comes to warzones. I despise losing when it is within my ability to win every match, so the leadership perk is nice for me too (for PUGS, anyway. Premades are never an issue.)

Pets they are. I think going forward I'm going to just approach all classes as if I was playing a Mage ala Everquest 1 and 2 or a Hunter from WoW or my favorite a Beastlord from EQ1. With that in mind I shouldn't end up making any stupid mistakes when it comes to how I look at and play the various classes.

Theres more focus on your companions here as you have to use them. The content is designed around group combat instead of most MMOs where you fight mostly one on one versus an enemy mob. Unlike most MMOs also pet classes don't have the same advantage as you see in other games since your not playing in a game that is mainly designed for that one on one fights, and your class is lucky that it brought along a pet. Here you are usually always up against at least 3 to 5 enemies at a time so maximizing your effectiveness of your companions and how you approach different groups is important.

Companions are just glorified pets. A few of mine are in mostly full rakata and columi and still do absolute shit damage / healing.

Really? I have Talos in mostly Tionize gear and I just solo'd the "Old Enemies" heroic daily on Belsavis yesterday. Granted, I'm a tank class.

HBroward

Just a reminder, the Empire GAF normal op time has been moved to Wednesday night(10-1 est) to combine with Kruul's group, due to the decline of people showing up who needed the gear still.

What was up with all the goofy reactions to the live event stuff? I missed some parts of the conference but did they mention anything or why was it a laughing matter later on in the conference? Really annoying that we haven't seen any events going on in game or anything announced.

So how will they handle gear tiers?

Commendation earnings of different types probably, and I assume they will separate gear if you play ranked or unranked since those will be giving different commendations it sounded like.

markatisu

What was up with all the goofy reactions to the live event stuff? I missed some parts of the conference but did they mention anything or why was it a laughing matter later on in the conference? Really annoying that we haven't seen any events going on in game or anything announced.

Why don't you ask about it on FB, they posted this just a little bit ago

After all of the information that came out of the Guild Summit we know many of you certainly have questions, some of which were never answered during the Summit. Well, here is your chance to have your voice heard!

We are going to be having a Q&A right here on Facebook with Damion Schubert. Simply post your questions about Game Update 1.2 as a comment to this wall post. Later today we will gather some of your questions and have Damion answer them here on our wall, so be sure to check back!

Cystm

In case anyone is still on the fence for this game, there is now a 7 day free "friends" trial. Subscribers can refer up to 3 friends.

I myself have 2 to give away, send me your email addy in a PM if you would like to try it out.

HBroward

So apparently playing a WZ adds 3 to your Ilum daily/weekly count, it's not 1 to 1 for kills in WZ's. At least you still get the 3 with a loss. Now you can go for your wins, and then head to Ilum to mop up. Hurray for less nascar. Although I'm starting to question whether finishing off the BM set is worth it with the new tier on the way.

So apparently playing a WZ adds 3 to your Ilum daily/weekly count, it's not 1 to 1 for kills in WZ's. At least you still get the 3 with a loss. Now you can go for your wins, and then head to Ilum to mop up. Hurray for less nascar. Although I'm starting to question whether finishing off the BM set is worth it with the new tier on the way.

My valor rank is only 39...fuck fuck fuck. Need to PvP more.

Is this a blanket bonus to the daily/weekly for doing the WZ? Does it matter if you fight the opposing faction? Was wondering if killing imps and an imp would count, maybe thats why they are giving a blanket 3 adds only? Or is it 3 no matter who you fight?

gatti-man

I would say yes. I doubt that having bm gear will hurt you in any way. Plus high valor will still yield perks.

HBroward

Is this a blanket bonus to the daily/weekly for doing the WZ? Does it matter if you fight the opposing faction? Was wondering if killing imps and an imp would count, maybe thats why they are giving a blanket 3 adds only? Or is it 3 no matter who you fight?

I'm not sure, I haven't been able to log in today, I just read that elsewhere. A guy got 2700 valor and 73 coms for a loss with 4 medals and a MVP vote, he got 2900 valor and 85 coms in a quick timed out win. He didn't specify if it was only same faction games.

I'm not sure, I haven't been able to log in today, I just read that elsewhere. A guy got 2700 valor and 73 coms for a loss with 4 medals and a MVP vote, he got 2900 valor and 85 coms in a quick timed out win. He didn't specify if it was only same faction games.

Actually if you think about it, if War Hero gear (1.2 ranked pvp gear) is better than BM and doesn't require valor, there really is no point to nascar OR WZ until then lol... unless you enjoy it :)

HBroward

Actually if you think about it, if War Hero gear (1.2 ranked pvp gear) is better than BM and doesn't require valor, there really is no point to nascar OR WZ until then lol...

And I have 6/12 BM pieces, and it's not like they are a substantial upgrade. I'll probably still go for them, but not slavishly. PVP is so much fun when you get a decent team, but when it's bad it's really bad. 8 man queues will be a welcome change for the ranked warzones, it's not like we don't play 8 man premades half the time anyway.

Milly79

Everyone should pvp. It makes you a better overall player and is just fun.

Meh. PVP isn't a sell for me in an MMO. I'd rather PVP in other games...

I asked this before, but is there any point for me starting to PVP so late? I'm level 3 valor with almost full Rakata (doubt this helps). No one answered last time. :(

So, got bored and got my assassin alt to 16. I already feel OP in huttball and I don't even have my grapple. :\

Team would get the ball. I'd tell them where I was, stealth, pass, force speed, score. Did it for 3 points with a group of pugs. lol

And I have 6/12 BM pieces, and it's not like they are a substantial upgrade. I'll probably still go for them, but not slavishly. PVP is so much fun when you get a decent team, but when it's bad it's really bad. 8 man queues will be a welcome change for the ranked warzones, it's not like we don't play 8 man premades half the time anyway.

Haha yea, that's when I'll go back full tilt. Im curious if there will be anyone on ilum today at all. What with the WZ change AND ME3 coming out

I asked this before, but is there any point for me starting to PVP so late? I'm level 3 valor with almost full Rakata (doubt this helps). No one answered last time. :(

Rakata does help, I believe the stat boosts from rakata equal at least centurion pvp gear. Champ bags are pretty easy to come by too. I'd say go for it. And grats on the MH while I was away :p

edit: I wouldnt worry about trying to get valor 60 for BM gear tho, by the time you'd finish that grind, 1.2 should be out. Just get a champ set via WZ and ilum and you should be set

gatti-man

Pvp if you enjoy it. I love pvping with gaf, in pugs I'm known for bad behavior.

markatisu

Is there any place that helps people get into PvP for the first time. I am a PvE player but have thought about dabbling in PvE but every place I find that talks about it seems to only talk at length to those already experienced in it.

HBroward

Yeah, now is the time if you want to start, with the valor change and all. I didn't start pvping until I hit 50 originally, and the grind now would be so much faster for you.

Is there any place that helps people get into PvP for the first time. I am a PvE player but have thought about dabbling in PvE but every place I find that talks about it seems to only talk at length to those already experienced in it.

They mentioned yesterday pvp tutorials will be added in an update in the future, but the best way to learn is by just jumping in. Maybe ask someone of the same class who pvps for any tips they could provide.

Yeah, now is the time if you want to start, with the valor change and all. I didn't start pvping until I hit 50 originally, and the grind now would be so much faster for you.

Also with the most recent change, you can now trade 120 WZ coms for 1 Champion com. Not too shabby if you are a few short (happened to me all the damn time...)

Definetely try to go in a premade group, makes your life a helluva lot easier when ppl are actually talking to each other. The GAF guilds use the mumble sever when we do pvp and it really helps

gatti-man

Actually if you think about it, if War Hero gear (1.2 ranked pvp gear) is better than BM and doesn't require valor, there really is no point to nascar OR WZ until then lol... unless you enjoy it :)

I doubt war hero will be much better than bm and if it is then it would be a long grind. There are already three classes of pvp gear.

I doubt war hero will be much better than bm and if it is then it would be a long grind. There are already three classes of pvp gear.

True but I rather do that grind than the valor one, then the bm bags. I remember reading that they said that you'll be getting War Hero tokens directly, so who knows. I just dont think I have it in me to grind out BM gear

razgriz417 said:
Definetely try to go in a premade group, makes your life a helluva lot easier when ppl are actually talking to each other. The GAF guilds use the mumble sever when we do pvp and it really helps
This, hell, just being in a group with 3 good players is enough to usually make pugs bearable. Don't even need voice chat half the time. But yeah, it's really the best way to learn how to play the maps and feel useful. The game doesn't teach you jack about how to play.

markatisu

Bioware answered some of the questions asked by FB users

Facebook Q&A said:
Hey everyone,

As promised, here are Damion's answers to some of your questions from today's Q&A. Thank you all for participating, let us know if you enjoyed this Q&A and would like to see more like it in the future.

--

Tim Simmons

Cantinas are wonderful, big empty spaces - any plans to have the abilities to make music and dance (I don't mean entertainer classes per se, more a reason to "hang around" them - small buffs of something)... ?

Damion

We have some ideas, but nothing planned for the immediate future.

Paul Holding

Are there going to be more world bosses added? They're one of the best parts of the game

Damion

We will probably add these sporadically throughout the life of the game. I can tell you there's at least one new one in 1.2.

Luca Rio

How big are the expectations for patch 1.2? I mean, as a team, how much are you looking forward to it and how strong do you think it will affect the current gameplay?

Damion

That's a tough question to answer - the game was pretty strong before 1.2 came out. That being said, this game update is an incredibly large and ambitious update, and has some definite key improvements to the game experience. I think that in particular Legacy will offer an all-new dynamic for people to play around with, no matter what their play style is.

Chris Scott

What Space Combat and Starship changes can we expect? Will we see customizations and new upgrades?

Damion

The space team has several initiatives moving at once right now - I wish I could speak to them all. Once these are more concrete, we'll be happy to tell you more about them.

Damiano Vitali

Is there any chance we could have target marks to be key-bindable in 1.2? Many tanks and RL would be pleased.

Damion

That will definitely go on the GUI backlog today. I don't have an ETA for when this will get to you, as their top priority for 1.2 is being sure that GUI customization is clean and ready to go.

Stefan Viskovic

will we be able to tranfer the already discovered taxi/teleportation nodes through legacy from our mains to our alts?

Damion

Not at this time.

Nathan E-lie Pavely

Will you ever change it so characters aren't always right handed? Where's the love for lefties?

Damion

This is fairly non-trivial for our game, due to the choreographed combat and the in-game cinematics. Sorry to say, we have no plans for this at this time.

Gabriel Santiago

Will assassins be able to use electrostaves without restricting moves? since carrying a glowing and humming weapon is not stealthy

Damion

I've passed this feedback on to the combat team.

Jeffrey Peck

With what sounds like a continued NERF to biochem reusables in the future, what are the plans to make it competitive with the rest of the crafting skills after they seem to all be getting boosts?

Damion

The balance team has no plans to make Biochem inferior to other classes at the endgame, but instead to bring a level of parity across all crafted items. We think the changes in 1.2 should bring all the crafting skills to be much closer in line with each other.

Lee Mathe

Will we be able to crit craft exisiting orange schematics already in the game?

Damion

Our lead crafting designer says: Yes! All craftable orange (custom) gear can be crit crafted.

Matty Debilde

"About the raid calendar, is there maybe also some consideration about recording loot from events on the calender, assigning it to people and maybe even assigning points to people, as in making it possible to use/create a dkp system ingame?"

Damion

We've talked about this before and may examine it again in the future. Part of the problem is that guilds use a wide variety of different DKP methods, and there's a wide swath of players who are hostile to any sort of DKP system at all, and who don't want to feel the game is forcing one down their throats. Any solution we come up with needs to be general enough to take all of these play styles and considerations in mind.

Chris Welbourn

Currently you can preview the appearance of armour for your character and companions. Will it be possible to please view weapons, as well, in this fashion?

Damion

Someday. No immediate ETA.

Oren Shed

I am not thrilled about creating multiple characters and like to stick to just one, as well as a lot of the other population in the game in sure. With the legacy system, would someone like me be losing out a lot of new skills/abilities now since I dont want to create other toons?

Damion

We are very sensitive to this, and want to be sure that we don't undermine your playstyle. In particular, we want to be sure that the amount of alt-playing you have to do in order to take part in other activities you might like (warzones, operations) is limited at most. This is why the unlockable 'Heroic Moment' abilities are limited in their usage, and why players can unlock some of the key buffs in the tree with credits instead of alt-playing. Also, as is possible now, players can gain legacy levels and experience even when their normal level is at cap. Yeah, you'll miss out on some cool toys, but for the most part, there will be ways for you to get everything that you need to get.

Rob Levi

Since we are under Legacy system, is there a way our alts can appear in a room either on our ships or the guild ships? It would be awesome to see our characters and maybe even exchange inventory with them on the ship

Damion

No on the 'seeing alts' thing (at this time). We do have plans for the future to streamline inventory swapping between legacy characters, but for right now, you'll have to use mail. Note: we are removing the faction limitations on sending mail to yourself to facilitate this.

James Brown

Is there going to be a way to change the appearance of our armor? Seeing the same old armor is getting quite old.

Damion

1.2 will have an increase in the amount of moddable gear, as well as improvements allowing for moddable gear to be used at the endgame. Between that and the new color unify system going in, players should have a remarkable amount of freedom in customizing the look of their character's gearset.

Francois424

Neo Member
Rob Levi

Since we are under Legacy system, is there a way our alts can appear in a room either on our ships or the guild ships? It would be awesome to see our characters and maybe even exchange inventory with them on the ship

Damion

No on the 'seeing alts' thing (at this time). We do have plans for the future to streamline inventory swapping between legacy characters, but for right now, you'll have to use mail. Note: we are removing the faction limitations on sending mail to yourself to facilitate this.

Ooooh... That is very nice indeed !

Top Bottom