• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I think you'll find if they're going 400k damage, they aren't tank specced. Not to mention, the self heal they get isn't that great in action, it doesn't scale that well from what I remember.

I think the bigger issue is that tank classes can spec DPS and still tank just as well in warzones, and do great damage ontop of it.

Na, I've talked to the dude multiple times--he's very much tank specced. That's why I feel the spec is broken, the spec gets a lot of utility and tank baggage (for being a tank spec) that can't put out a lot of sustained, but in the right circumstances can whip out the burst (the 5k+ is counting the force lighting which ideally hits for around 2.5-3k, and then the inst a from harness hits for 2.5-3k. The setup for this (unless I'm not mistaken) takes around 12 seconds, and so yeah, if you get stunned you can just wind it up again while the dude's stun is on cooldown--plus the class gets 2 stuns and a knockback, so you can set it up that way (and it's uninterruptable excluding stuns and knockbacks).

This by itself doesn't make for a broken class, but when you pair this with a 20s or 30s sprint that breaks snares, a 45 second force shroud, the perks of being a tank (massive damage mitigation), taunt and guard (tremendous by themselves), self heals, an enemy pull (perfect for huttball); it gets quite ridiculous. I may be completely misinformed and I'm not balance lead at Bioware, but to me, this is a class that is doing higher than intended damage for it's role in a pvp environment.

A lot of people like to discount AoE damage as if it's useless or has no impact, in a warzone where people are tightly packed at times (read: all of them lol), AoE damage can be huge; it's damage that hits EVERYONE, "well the 400-500k comes from AoE" isn't really a valid brush off as rage specced jugs/marauders are entirely AoE and usually average the same amount.

Edit: Have you played with Whilson recently Kruul? He consistently puts up 400k damage, 75k protection, and at least 75k self heals; granted that may point to where his motivations lie--big stats over objectives lol. But the fact that any class has the potential to put up those 3 numbers is just flat out broken. Look at prestige (shadow tank) in both these games: game 1 and game 2. The fact that this damage is achievable with 100k+ protected damage and self heals blows any other tank out of the water.

Zafir

Na, I've talked to the dude multiple times--he's very much tank specced. That's why I feel the spec is broken, the spec gets a lot of utility and tank baggage (for being a tank spec) that can't put out a lot of sustained, but in the right circumstances can whip out the burst (the 5k+ is counting the force lighting which ideally hits for around 2.5-3k, and then the inst a from harness hits for 2.5-3k. The setup for this (unless I'm not mistaken) takes around 12 seconds, and so yeah, if you get stunned you can just wind it up again while the dude's stun is on cooldown--plus the class gets 2 stuns and a knockback, so you can set it up that way (and it's uninterruptable excluding stuns and knockbacks).

This by itself doesn't make for a broken class, but when you pair this with a 20s or 30s sprint that breaks snares, a 45 second force shroud, the perks of being a tank (massive damage mitigation), taunt and guard (tremendous by themselves), self heals, an enemy pull (perfect for huttball); it gets quite ridiculous. I may be completely misinformed and I'm not balance lead at Bioware, but to me, this is a class that is doing higher than intended damage for it's role in a pvp environment.

A lot of people like to discount AoE damage as if it's useless or has no impact, in a warzone where people are tightly packed at times (read: all of them lol), AoE damage can be huge; it's damage that hits EVERYONE, "well the 400-500k comes from AoE" isn't really a valid brush off as rage specced jugs/marauders are entirely AoE and usually average the same amount.

Edit: Have you played with Whilson recently Kruul? He consistently puts up 400k damage, 75k protection, and at least 75k self heals; granted that may point to where his motivations lie--big stats over objectives lol. But the fact that any class has the potential to put up those 3 numbers is just flat out broken. Look at prestige (shadow tank) in both these games: game 1 and game 2. The fact that this damage is achievable with 100k+ protected damage and self heals blows any other tank out of the water.
Meh really? Guess the assassins/shadows on my server just suck then, heh. Powertech's can do quite a bit of damage specced as a tank as well(Though I don't think it's near 400k). Juggernauts are probably the worst for damage in tank spec it seems, much to my dismay. On the plus side I can get some pretty insane protection with an healer.

Alur

I used to run with Whilson in my PVP group until he tried to talk shit to one of us one day...unless he's gained serious skill I never saw him top 350k. He recently hit battlemaster, but I don't see him doing 400k. He was doing 300ks in DPS spec. He's pulling your leg or something lol, I just don't see it. We were just in two games with him and roflstomped them both times.

Even if so, he'd be the one and only. I've never seen another tank anywhere close.

EDIT: Also Priapus, look at the huge ass amount of heals he had in both games lol. 3 and 4 healers on that team. 1 400k, 1 300k, 2 100k heals in first game, and game two had 500, 200, and 2 100k heals. Shit I could do insane damage with that kind of heals. This is hardly the norm. I think you are blowing it up bigger than it is...which is just a few outliers who obviously don't give a damn about anything but getting those digits.

DOUBLE EDIT: I was right and wrong. Apparently they run this in full DPS gear with crit/surge relics and adrenals etc. Still, haven't seen anyone on our server using it to the level that the forum thread is complaining about. Since it appears to be a recent discovery of OPness that would explain why Whilson suddenly became better than he was, though.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Yep, and even with heals Kruul, I can have a pocket healer all game and die once or twice and end up with 550k damage and 75k healing. The key to why this is OP is that this guy ends up with 600K damage, 100k+ protection, and 100k healing. This gimmick needs to be neutered so the people abusing this end up with maybe 200k damage, 100k protection, 100k healing regardless of having a pocket healer or not. This type of tankassin isn't as popular on our server, but it's starting to gain traction.

And yeah, I don't see Whilson as a good player, just to clarify Kruul. He's really egotistical and runs this gimmick spec/setup to the max. And I see him with my own eyes pulling 400k in full length games, it just shows you how a random player like him can abuse a tanking tree as a dps, and excel MORE than dps specced assassins.

Alur

I still don't see it as a huge problem though. They have to run with a focus too so they cannot shield attacks, so they are really not much less squishy than you with all of your cooldowns if they are using theirs. If it gets out of hand they'll bring it back in line, I just don't see how you can bring it in line without severely nerfing the actual shadow/assassin tank who plays like a tank.

EDIT: Also, likely why we don't see this a lot yet is that by the time most knew about it they already had spent their comms on tank gear. Takes a long time to build a full set of different gear.

markatisu

Screen grabs from the newer high quality video of the trailer up at http://www.darthhater.com/gallery/game-update-1-2-trailer-framegrabs

I am such a loser, is it sad that these are the 2 updates that have me most excited lol

trailer1-24.jpg

trailer1-23.jpg

gyrspike

Neo Member
That 100k protection doesn't mean he's tank spec Priapus. It just means he went into tank stance for like 45sec to get the protect medals. It's really easy to get that much protection on a huttball map. Just have your healer stand in the acid for 1min or so and you get something like 500 protection per second. Toss in the using taunt here and there and you can easily get enough protect medals as a dps asass/jugg/powa.

Zafir

That 100k protection doesn't mean he's tank spec Priapus. It just means he went into tank stance for like 45sec to get the protect medals. It's really easy to get that much protection on a huttball map. Just have your healer stand in the acid for 1min or so and you get something like 500 protection per second. Toss in the using taunt here and there and you can easily get enough protect medals as a dps asass/jugg/powa.
Is acid different from fire, because I've had people run through fire with guard on them before, and the damage doesn't transfer. The tooltip for Juggernaut says player damage only too.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

No he dpses in tank stance and leaves guard up the whole match--that's why it's broken. It's not a 30 second switch; they literally do more dps than dps specced assassins in tank stance and that is why the spec is just broken by default; it goes against intended design mechanics.

Wallach

I am such a loser, is it sad that these are the 2 updates that have me most excited lol

Hell no dude, I think a lot of us are looking forward to both of those things. I feel like it'll be especially good for Troopers, where they have a lot of similarly designed gear that winds up looking sponsored by Skittles. I went Armormech on my Vanguard to avoid it, but my companions deal with it since I'm too lazy to craft them full sets like I do for myself.

Duress

I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I feel stuck. My server doesn't have much people on it, my guild has 4 people on max nowadays, and PVP ques are too long. I've leveled up two characters up to 50. I have friends who play, but they don't com online, very often. I know I could reroll to another server, but it seems like too much of a hassle at this point. I guess, I'm going to unsubscribe for now and come back later when there's more stuff and character transfers or server merging.

gatti-man

Hell no dude, I think a lot of us are looking forward to both of those things. I feel like it'll be especially good for Troopers, where they have a lot of similarly designed gear that winds up looking sponsored by Skittles. I went Armormech on my Vanguard to avoid it, but my companions deal with it since I'm too lazy to craft them full sets like I do for myself.

Yeah I'm super pumped about cleaner textures too.

gatti-man

I used to run with Whilson in my PVP group until he tried to talk shit to one of us one day...unless he's gained serious skill I never saw him top 350k. He recently hit battlemaster, but I don't see him doing 400k. He was doing 300ks in DPS spec. He's pulling your leg or something lol, I just don't see it. We were just in two games with him and roflstomped them both times.

Even if so, he'd be the one and only. I've never seen another tank anywhere close.

EDIT: Also Priapus, look at the huge ass amount of heals he had in both games lol. 3 and 4 healers on that team. 1 400k, 1 300k, 2 100k heals in first game, and game two had 500, 200, and 2 100k heals. Shit I could do insane damage with that kind of heals. This is hardly the norm. I think you are blowing it up bigger than it is...which is just a few outliers who obviously don't give a damn about anything but getting those digits.

DOUBLE EDIT: I was right and wrong. Apparently they run this in full DPS gear with crit/surge relics and adrenals etc. Still, haven't seen anyone on our server using it to the level that the forum thread is complaining about. Since it appears to be a recent discovery of OPness that would explain why Whilson suddenly became better than he was, though.

You pvping tonight? I should be on around 1130cst. Hurriquake and i went on a 9-0 win streak this morning.

vilmer_

no more self healing tanks plz, we already have brokenly OP tankassins.

I should've been more specific with my post in that I was referring to dps Focus Guardians. As it stands, survivability is not in a good place at all. We have a 3 minute bubble cd and a 10 second Enure that is minorly effective at best. Without pocket heals, we get slapped around way too easily.

Alur

You pvping tonight? I should be on around 1130cst. Hurriquake and i went on a 9-0 win streak this morning.

:( I had already joined Priapus, Jamews and Camlost when you whispered me. Formed immediately after the raid. We'll have to hit it after I get back from being out of town. Will be gone til Wednesday night or Thursday morning, not sure which.

The good news: Kruul is now in the bus club. The next to last member. Go go Varathion!

I honestly don't know what to do anymore. I feel stuck. My server doesn't have much people on it, my guild has 4 people on max nowadays, and PVP ques are too long. I've leveled up two characters up to 50. I have friends who play, but they don't com online, very often. I know I could reroll to another server, but it seems like too much of a hassle at this point. I guess, I'm going to unsubscribe for now and come back later when there's more stuff and character transfers or server merging.

Why not re-roll on GAF server and once transfers become available, transfer to GAF server?

Realyn

So frustrating,

We lose a DPS to DC and get SOA (HM) down to 29k, so we figure it's in the bag.

We spend the next 90 minutes dying to bugs in the fight (resetting instance almost each time)

some highlights (not at the same time
-Invisible electric pools in phase 1
-Invisible lightning balls in phase 2
-Playes at full health dying from a jump to a lower ledge, getting rezzed and then it happening again (proper ledge jump)
-Insta raid wiping damage at the beginning of phase 2
-Pillars hitting SOA in Phase 3 but not dropping shield

We hit the point where we can do the hardest part (controlling lightning ball damage in phase 2) without a single death only to run into this shit

I am sorry, but AT LEAST two points are your fault.

-Invisible electric pools in phase 1 <--- seriously? Just stand next to him

-Insta raid wiping damage at the beginning of phase 2 <--- <you killed the second
orb or whatever thay are called while jumping down, before you killed the first one > HUGE AE every 10 second in phase 2.

It's easy to blame BW and I have canceled my abo 2 weeks ago, but some stuff you simply did wrong.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Bioware dev said:
Just to clarify, since I've seen this question a number of times in this thread. What we said was:

Cross-server PvP queuing is in the works
Once it launches, it will allow us to do things such as:

More level bracketing
8-man premade queuing
Ability to queue for a specific warzone

There is no current timeline for this feature, and there's also no guarantee that it will all happen at once, but cross-server queuing will open up a bunch of possibilities for us. Once we have more details, of course, we will let you know.

So looks like only 4 man queuing going into the ranked preseason. Also, a bioware dev confirmed that purples will essentially act like oranges now--so sell all of your orange belts/bracers before they drop in price completely.

Bioware dev said:

So looks like only 4 man queuing going into the ranked preseason. Also, a bioware dev confirmed that purples will essentially act like oranges now--so sell all of your orange belts/bracers before they drop in price completely.

Not sure on that, as the comment that was made could be read multiple ways.

Orange gear for the most part isn't worth much already from the AH prices on em. But don't understand really the point of there being orange with purples become fully modable as well. Always assumed you could just extract the mods was the original intent but they are turning all purples into basically orange is a bit odd. Unless they plan to have it that only tier gear sets will allow you to extract...

Dunlop

-Invisible electric pools in phase 1 <--- seriously? Just stand next to him

obviously we did this after, but the people who initially died had no idea that was going on and it was a lost attempt. The fact they were invisible is a bug like I mentioned

-Insta raid wiping damage at the beginning of phase 2 <--- <you killed the second
orb or whatever thay are called while jumping down, before you killed the first one > HUGE AE every 10 second in phase 2.

That was already explained, I have to heal those jumps so it wasn't something I was aware of just that it happened like the last 5 attempts in a row while never happening before that. I passed on the message

We are tackling it again tonight.

We did the first few bossed in HM KP last night, it was pretty fun but in a raid of 16 people we had 7 mercs, in our 8 mans we have 3 or 4 per run and so far all of our drops are IA (it is getting to the point where I think it is bugged, we get at least 2 pieces per boss, every boss) and sorcs. I think in a month ago I got a pair of rakata gloves, nothing since

My sorc is at 26..time to find a bored person to level him quickly to 50 :p

Realyn

obviously we did this after, but the people who initially died had no idea that was going on and it was a lost attempt. The fact they were invisible is a bug like I mentioned

Don't get me wrong, I dont want to sound completly jerkish, but your post was a bit over the top. Yeah, SWToR and especially Soa are bugged like shit, but not everything is BW's fault - or a reason to cry about.

Yes you are right, invis cloud is a bug. But come on. I did Soa on NM as well and you have to stand in it for literally between 5-10 seconds to die. Personally I never had that bug, but mates of me.
So I simply screamed "Dude, you will stand in a cloud soon AGAIN, simply move your damn ass to the middle, flame flame flame"

And about the pylons, most likely you had a new person with you who allways jumped ahead and killed the second one very quickly. Happens ;).

arimanius

Wow, Consular went from worst gear to best gear in a single Tier!

Agreed. The new consular gear looks sweet. I actually like all the new gear except for the smuggler helm and the entire inquisitor. I have no idea what BW has been smoking with the art direction of the inquisitor.

Dunlop

has their been any mention of a LFG tool?

I've hit 26 on my sorc without running a single FP because I do not feel like porting back to the fleet and waiting around to hopefully find a group and the 10 minutes of loading screens it will take to get back to the planet.

I loved LFG to break the levelling monotony

jaxpunk

has their been any mention of a LFG tool?

I've hit 26 on my sorc without running a single FP because I do not feel like porting back to the fleet and waiting around to hopefully find a group and the 10 minutes of loading screens it will take to get back to the planet.

I loved LFG to break the levelling monotony

Yes it won't be in 1.2 and won't be cross server because of some lame excuse about community building.

Yes it won't be in 1.2 and won't be cross server because of some lame excuse about community building.

Fuck cross server dungeon finders.

Agreed. The new consular gear looks sweet. I actually like all the new gear except for the smuggler helm and the entire inquisitor. I have no idea what BW has been smoking with the art direction of the inquisitor.

Inq looks awesome, what you smokin. Ugh at the Jug helm, wtf I'm Getter Robo now?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Not sure on that, as the comment that was made could be read multiple ways.

Orange gear for the most part isn't worth much already from the AH prices on em. But don't understand really the point of there being orange with purples become fully modable as well. Always assumed you could just extract the mods was the original intent but they are turning all purples into basically orange is a bit odd. Unless they plan to have it that only tier gear sets will allow you to extract...

Ultimately oranges we be better than purples because you can crit craft them to get an extra augment slot.

HBroward

Stephen Reid just clarified you will be able to queue 8 man for the ranked war zones in 1.2 at least. So no having to manipulate the system at least.

Edit: He also mentioned in a post on the forums that you will be able to name your 8 man team. Which honestly seems to raise even more questions, like does it have to be a set team, or do you set a name each time you set up an 8 man op group, etc.

Had an awesome raid night last night,

We already had bonecrusher hard down so we decided to carry on, we one shoted Jaarg and Sorno, then the next boss (Foreman? can never remember this things name)

Took about 5 attempts to beat Fabricator due to random unluckyness and then one shotted Karragga, I got a healing relic and Inquisitor rakata main hand so well pleased.

We tried SOA on nightmare and got him to the third phase twice but this battle is just a mess.. at the start of a second phase I had 2 lightning balls coming for me for some reason, they also seem to randomly retarget themselves now and then, think we are gonna reattempt on monday and hit it all night.

Had an awesome raid night last night,

We already had bonecrusher hard down so we decided to carry on, we one shoted Jaarg and Sorno, then the next boss (Foreman? can never remember this things name)

Took about 5 attempts to beat Fabricator due to random unluckyness and then one shotted Karragga, I got a healing relic and Inquisitor rakata main hand so well pleased.

We tried SOA on nightmare and got him to the third phase twice but this battle is just a mess.. at the start of a second phase I had 2 lightning balls coming for me for some reason, they also seem to randomly retarget themselves now and then, think we are gonna reattempt on monday and hit it all night.

Maybe you already know this, but Soa on hard and nightmare I believe you have to intentionally suicide into the lightning balls then quickly get healed. So it shouldn't be a big deal being targeted by 2, just run into 1, get healed, then run into the other.

That being said, it's still a mess of an encounter.

Maybe you already know this, but Soa on hard and nightmare I believe you have to intentionally suicide into the lightning balls then quickly get healed. So it shouldn't be a big deal being targeted by 2, just run into 1, get healed, then run into the other.

That being said, it's still a mess of an encounter.

This was the first set of balls at the exact same time, in other words phase 2 started, me and the other healer were called as being targeted I saw him deal with his ball and I had 2 moving towards me, ran into the first one then the second one was about 2 metres behind it and went into me and died too.

Out of interest does anyone know the names of all the mounts being removed in 1.2?

I know its the 3 that reduced price at the fleet speeder vendor (tirsa prime, baron etc) are there any others?

Wallach

I hope they start putting 1.2 notes on the PTR soon. I'm very interested to see what the first draft of changes to Scoundrels and crew skills overall looks like. They said they had 4 pages worth of patch notes just for the crew skills section; that's probably the thing I'm most looking forward to in 1.2. It'll be nice to be able to make adrenals to sell to folks without it costing tens of thousands of credits to make like one or two. I still hold that the schematic design failure within Biochem is to blame for the metagame shift towards that crew skill for 50s.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Anyone watch The Big Bang Theory this week? The entire episode revolved around the guys have a weekend long 48 hour SWTOR marathon session.

Top Bottom