• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
In what context was this supposed to be in? Why is one DPS class supposed todo more DPS than another class. As an infiltration shadow, why pick me in a group when there is better DPS options?
I believe the lead balance dude referred to snipers/marauders as "the strongest dps class" in an Q/A that dealt with tanks.

Seems like they are moving away from enrage timers and towards complicated group mechanics in terms of boss difficulty. I think somewhere in beta, one of the designers said something along the lines of, all classes dps should be viable (for raids/pvp), but not equal. Not every class should do a flat 2k dps. Marauders/Snipers have no other specs and so most MMOs (seems like swtor included) gives these "pure" specs the potential to beat out other classes when played to the max by about 5%.

All classes have some awesome and different utility (many of the empire gaf juggs/assassins are often asked to switch to tank stance and start taunting in the middle of fights or before some fights). Mercs/Ops can help heal in between phases like Soa or during frenzy moments like in Bone crushers. The "extra" bit that marauders/snipers can do are group buffs and a bit of a dps edge.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Very excited about the legacy system.

Milly79

Considering I don't get on unless it's raids night anymore, I can see the entire "less than 400k" comment. I rarely have over 100k now, although I do run dailies before raids. Repairs/stims/meds cost a decent amount, which keeps me low on the credits. When I was leveling, I was always buying new gear (at the time I didn't know how useful oranges were/commendations) + gearing companions the same way. Don't think I've ever had much over 500k.

It's ridiculous to think Camlost (Empire GAF) has 15m+.

how the hell do more than 80% of 50s have less than 400k?
(or was it 40k? not sure)

Because once you get good gear

a) You have no motivation to run dailies because they're fucking boring and hey, you already have good gear.

b) Repair costs are fucking outrageous. it costs me like 80k to do a full repair now, and considering how many wipes you go through just doing normal HM FPs, ops, etc it adds up quick.

They really need to MASSIVELY reduce the repair costs.

Enosh

true true, probably kinda looking at it from a wrong perspective now since I am still doing the dalies for the commendations

Milly79

true true, probably kinda looking at it from a wrong perspective now since I am still doing the dalies for the commendations

This makes sense. I didn't even finish running it for the Rakata implants, as I had someone craft me the col and I didn't really see any extra benefit. I got the earpiece/mods early on and was done. Have the normal op bus, so I see no need to run it for a speeder.

This makes sense. I didn't even finish running it for the Rakata implants, as I had someone craft me the col and I didn't really see any extra benefit. I got the earpiece/mods early on and was done. Have the normal op bus, so I see no need to run it for a speeder.

Your welcome :p. I grinded out 2 of the rakata implants...

aw missed most of the QA stuff. Any interesting bits? Tool tip for re engineering is nice, and upcoming ipad thingy for crew skills would be rad.

I still hope that gear won't be faction binded. I would love my jedi to get some SW gear =/

Dual spec should not be tied to legacy.

Don't remember them saying it was tied to Legacy, they were talking about other topics and the topics of multispecs came up.

aw missed most of the QA stuff. Any interesting bits? Tool tip for re engineering is nice, and upcoming ipad thingy for crew skills would be rad.

I still hope that gear won't be faction binded. I would love my jedi to get some SW gear =/

Well they are opening more customization options all around including eventually orange social gear that wont require light/med/heavy prerequisites. Also crafters will be source of certain visual style orange gear

Yea that's how I am about pvp, lol
Haha, don't get me wrong, I enjoy the PvE side as well. It's just once you hit 50 you run through it all pretty quickly, especially the flashpoints. Even on alts I'd rather just do PvP than run through the same ops/fps over and over again. Once they add a lot more PvE content I'll be there.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

It's still going on, the next topic is guild features.

They said clothing will look different depending on the faction, so even if you transfer a piece of gear from your republic character to your imperial it won't look the same. I think it's a good decision, they should remain relatively distinctive looking.

Cystm

Everything but the Ilum changes (or really, lack there of) has been fantastic.

I've actually been waiting on leveling other characters extensively because, I wanted to see exactly what they were going to do with the legacy system, and I am really looking forward to leveling other characters now. Very cool stuff next patch and beyond.

StudioTan

I missed the PvE/PvP moments of the summit, any summaries anywhere?

Did they talk about the alignment system at all?

No, they didn't. The entire event is going to be available offline at some point so you can still watch it if you missed it.

Basically this is all ending up to be: "We want it, not 1.2, it's coming."

Well what was expected. They are showing off for first time some of the new upcoming stuff, what isn't coming, whats on the table, and taking input.

Also not the entire conference is being broadcasted, the guild leaders there have on their schedules stuff that is not being live streamed and they had to sign NDAs about.

Milly79

Well what was expected. They are showing off for first time some of the new upcoming stuff, what isn't coming, whats on the table, and taking input.

Also not the entire conference is being broadcasted, the guild leaders there have on their schedules stuff that is not being live streamed and they had to sign NDAs about.

Don't know. I've never really been invested in an MMO like this... Played WoW for a long time, but never cared to read up on changes and crap. I want to see this game succeed as I love the lore, but I cannot stand current end game. That's all.

Cystm

The changes they are making and have planned are the right ones. Really dig the idea of this guild summit too. I think that overall I am happy with what they are doing.

Francois424

Neo Member
I'm a little bummed on legacy thing for unlocking purposes.

Having to raise a level 50 to unlock an ability or a race might be good for the guy/gal that plays only ONE character to the end...
but it shafts every single player that prefers levelling multiple toons at the same time (I am one of the latter).

Gives a whole new meaning to rerolling tho. Rerolling my 3 Alts (with very much expended craft skills receipies thank you) is a huge time investment for me.
Especially since my favored race isn't even in the game yet, meaning I get to start my account over from scratch if it ever gets added... weeee. So much fun !

Yeah so... that's why I'm bummed about it.
Am I suprised ? Not really, I saw it coming from day one; but it still sucks.
I still love the family ties and powers tho; that'll be very nice.

I think their stats are a little off, they should only count 50s that have been so for a least a week.

Because the amount of money you'll spend immediately upon hitting 50 is something like 500K. (Speed3 skill + new speeder + a dozen skills trainings).

And my favorite thing about the legacy bonuses is now you can put all 4 class buffs on yourself and get additional buffs to primary stats and presence for finishing companion quest arcs.

StudioTan

I'm a little bummed on legacy thing for unlocking purposes.

Having to raise a level 50 to unlock an ability or a race might be good for the guy/gal that plays only ONE character to the end...
but it shafts every single player that prefers levelling multiple toons at the same time (I am one of the latter).

Gives a whole new meaning to rerolling tho. Rerolling my 3 Alts (with very much expended craft skills receipies thank you) is a huge time investment for me.
Especially since my favored race isn't even in the game yet, meaning I get to start my account over from scratch if it ever gets added... weeee. So much fun !

Yeah so... that's why I'm bummed about it.
Am I suprised ? Not really, I saw it coming from day one; but it still sucks.
I still love the family ties and powers tho; that'll be very nice.

You can buy the class unlock with in game credits I believe as well as other legacy perks.

Francois424

Neo Member
You can buy the class unlock with in game credits I believe as well as other legacy perks.

If that really becomes a reallity, then it will depend on the associated cost.
I know how to make money in SWTOR, but I'm no god at it either. For me 100k is a week's worth of work...
But I don't own a level 50 yet, and I have limited playtime

I know how to make money in SWTOR, but I'm no god at it either. For me 100k is a week's worth of work...

When you get to level 50 you can make 200k a day doing dailies, probably more once they add the new dailies, and if you have slicing and underworld trading you can easily make another 200k a day (or every few days depending how much playtime you have)

Francois424

Neo Member
When you get to level 50 you can make 200k a day doing dailies, probably more once they add the new dailies, and if you have slicing and underworld trading you can easily make another 200k a day (or every few days depending how much playtime you have)

Did you find out if they re-buffed slicing in recent patches/maintenances ? I've seen your other post, but I didnt get the chance to log on my slicing character to check it out.
Edit to answer your Question: I have about 2h playtime per day, except on W-E when it's more like 4h/day

They did say it with an example of somebody with millions of credits. These unlocks could be very pricey.

Did you find out if they re-buffed slicing in recent patches/maintenances ? I've seen your other post, but I didnt get the chance to log on my slicing character to check it out.
Edit to answer your Question: I have about 2h playtime per day, except on W-E when it's more like 4h/day

I never found out, but i honestly think they did. I had recorded like 200 missions with awful results, now i get a puple mission crit like every 7 missions or so. One time i got 5 underworld trading 340 missions in like 10 attempts. Those sell for like 40k each, or you can do the mission yourself for even more money

Man, my biggest money sink isn't repair costs, you can make that money back easily. It's effing mod swaps. I can blow 200k in one swoop swapping out some mods, Just about all of my sniper's gear is swapped, was a pain, but eh. Still somehow have 300k though...

Giolon

Man, my biggest money sink isn't repair costs, you can make that money back easily. It's effing mod swaps. I can blow 200k in one swoop swapping out some mods, Just about all of my sniper's gear is swapped, was a pain, but eh. Still somehow have 300k though...

This, jesus god, this. It wasn't too bad until I had epic mods all out the wazoo. Now I've got mostly Tier 2 and Tier 3 Raid-quality mods in my moddable outfit and just the cost alone is enough to stop me from changing my gear appearance these days. :(

wowzors

I hope theres some changed to the Deception tree in Sith Inquisitor Assassins, its pretty useless right now as a madness DPS spec out damages it handedly and Darkness is a really good tank tree. It just seems like Deception is severly lacking from a practicality stand point.

This, jesus god, this. It wasn't too bad until I had epic mods all out the wazoo. Now I've got mostly Tier 2 and Tier 3 Raid-quality mods in my moddable outfit and just the cost alone is enough to stop me from changing my gear appearance these days. :(

Rerolling for raids gets dicey as well, highest I've spent for a reroll was ~50k, but the next tier up jumps to around 90-100k

Wallach

I rolled a Trooper a few days ago, up to 20 now as a Vanguard. This was the other class that I was struggling to choose between, and wound up passing in favor of Smuggler; have to say that rolling this character has made me pretty salty. I clearly chose wrong. Oh well, hindsight and all that.

On the plus side, my Smuggler is providing me with a lot of credits, Biochem stuff, and some Legacy perks. Speaking of, with the crafting changes in 1.2, are the Biochem re-usables going to be usable by non-Biochemists? I've gone Armormech on my Vanguard, but if re-usables are forever going to be tied to Biochem I might have to switch and then switch my Smuggler away from it once my Vanguard is 400.

Also that 1.2 trailer is pretty hype and it sounds like they're really putting some serious effort into making sure people take notice. That is a hell of a lot of stuff for one patch.

Edit - Some legwork and I found my answer: they did directly state that the Biochem requirement is coming off re-usables. Of course if it becomes hard to acquire the recipes for re-usables, it would be inconvenient to have the skill on a character I don't play as much. Decisions.

markatisu

I can make 100k-200k at my current level 36 just by putting in 45-50min of work in Underworld Trading and Scavenging, a little less if I don't sell off the materials and instead use them to craft armor

Though I guess it depends on the server, the one I am on (Harbinger) pays ridiculous money for Level 2 and Level 3 metals/compounds

Effect

Decided to just remake my character in the end. Got back to the point I was pretty quickly compared to the last time as well. I think my problem before was not using and thinking about companions in the proper way. It's been a while since I've played a pet class in mmorpgs and I was out of the proper mind set. Was using my Jedi Consular companion a lot more effectively this time around once I got him and things moved a lot better. Focusing on mostly using the few force powers I had once I got him got him gave me a decent feel I think to be what it would be to play Jedi Sage. So decided to go that route in the end. Glad I did or it would have made restarting kinda pointless but at least I'm more sure of the decision this time around.

Made my character (Daornthir) on Canderous Ordo. Wasn't even an option after finding out it was the most populated east coast server. Had to even queue up to get into it Saturday night which was nice to see. The few times I've been in the Republic Fleet it's been busy. Not sure if it's instanced or not but the numbers there at random times seem to be from 100 to 200. Tython during primetime seem to hover around a constant 90. Not sure how good these numbers are though. Thinking of starting a Trooper or Smuggler as an alt. Both start in the same location and rather just have one so I don't have to repeat missions if I don't have to. Reason why I don't think I'll be starting a Jedi Knight even though the class quest will be different. Want to cut down as much content repeating as I can.

One sorc isn't the issue. 3 sorc/sage vs anything else is a draw or win. They are op. Not game breakingly op but they are without a doubt the most overall powerful class in the game.

I'm not mad bh is being nerfed so much as we are getting nerfed without a mention of a sweeping nerf for sorcs. I think a big reason why people thinks sorcs aren't a problem is that so many baddies play them. The class really needs to be redesigned IMO bc you can't just nerf 1 ability and fix the sage/sorc issue and nerfing many abilities will ruin the class.

I have Four level 50's Imperial side: Sorc, Merc, Jugg, and Sniper. Granted by main is the sorc but I found my merc leveling wise and pvp wise a lot more powerful. The ONLY downside is he has no interrrupt that is reliable like other classes. I also soloed more heroics with the BH versus the Sorc with far less deaths. This was the same for pvp for "ease of use."

Now in the right situation, the Sorc's utility and mastery of it can annoy the crap out of the other team. But CC combos quickly seem to be very hard for your average player to accomplish. The BH is still much easier to "master" and be devastating with it IMHO.

The most underpowered by far was sniper in the long run.

Jugg had issues from level 30 to 40 (levelled with rage spec), but after I got Force Crush...LoL, almost as easy as my Merc.

Now for my 5th toon, a Scoundrel, well it may take the cake for levelling power but she is near 30 only at this time. Time will tell.

So, looking at the answers from the guild summit, there's no real reason to grind Valor for BM once 1.2 comes around...

Q: we have a few guildies that are battlemaster – are you going to make it less grindy to obtain these gear as right now they are farming daily and weekly quests to get those commendations?

A: Right now if you are valor 60, the only way to get BM bags is via quests – winning warzones. This leads to bad behaviors of leaving warzones you are losing. It took away the incentives to get commendations and the incentives to get performance in warzones. In 1.2 the ranked warzone commendations will be used to purchase War hero gear directly (no valor rank or warzone rating required to equip the new War Hero gear) . Warzone rating will allow you to get a different color version of the War Hero gear (its more of a prestige thing, especially in the pre-season).Valor rank requirement for battlemaster gear was a temporary measure – valor rank is suppose a PvP prestige thing and not a gear progression. More valor ranks give you prestige things like being able to be the leader of a warzone, cool mounts etc.

bolded what I found important

bjb

Banned
Decided to just remake my character in the end. Got back to the point I was pretty quickly compared to the last time as well. I think my problem before was not using and thinking about companions in the proper way. It's been a while since I've played a pet class in mmorpgs and I was out of the proper mind set. Was using my Jedi Consular companion a lot more effectively this time around once I got him and things moved a lot better. Focusing on mostly using the few force powers I had once I got him got him gave me a decent feel I think to be what it would be to play Jedi Sage. So decided to go that route in the end. Glad I did or it would have made restarting kinda pointless but at least I'm more sure of the decision this time around.

Made my character (Daornthir) on Canderous Ordo. Wasn't even an option after finding out it was the most populated east coast server. Had to even queue up to get into it Saturday night which was nice to see. The few times I've been in the Republic Fleet it's been busy. Not sure if it's instanced or not but the numbers there at random times seem to be from 100 to 200. Tython during primetime seem to hover around a constant 90. Not sure how good these numbers are though. Thinking of starting a Trooper or Smuggler as an alt. Both start in the same location and rather just have one so I don't have to repeat missions if I don't have to. Reason why I don't think I'll be starting a Jedi Knight even though the class quest will be different. Want to cut down as much content repeating as I can.

Companions are just glorified pets. A few of mine are in mostly full rakata and columi and still do absolute shit damage / healing.

Also with how static and boring this game truly is, if you're not playing on a decent server by now - you'll either get burned out or hate this game when you hit 50.

Companions are just glorified pets. A few of mine are in mostly full rakata and columi and still do absolute shit damage / healing.

Also with how static and boring this game truly is, if you're not playing on a decent server by now - you'll either get burned out or hate this game when you hit 50.

Ray of sunshine. That's some helpful info

You got to play around with your companions, some of them depending on your AC choice and build will pretty much not be of any use to you, so you have to figure out what works best for you, and also tweak their abilities to perform as well as they can with your playstyle. Also make sure to gear them up as well as people seem to like to forget to do so. Depending on your choice of build, getting the companion you work best with will sometimes take longer as you don't get them till later in your class story.

You seem to have found a good populated place to play for Republic, that's good.

Effect

Pets they are. I think going forward I'm going to just approach all classes as if I was playing a Mage ala Everquest 1 and 2 or a Hunter from WoW or my favorite a Beastlord from EQ1. With that in mind I shouldn't end up making any stupid mistakes when it comes to how I look at and play the various classes.

Top Bottom