• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Anyone watch The Big Bang Theory this week? The entire episode revolved around the guys have a weekend long 48 hour SWTOR marathon session.

Eh, I watched the one where Sheldon gets his WoW account stolen a few days ago. Top class stuff, loved it. Can't wait to watch that one.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Yeah, they had a group of 5 players and nobody was grouped, when they showed the screen :D.

Heh, I didn't notice that. I remember I was playing Age of Conan when they did an episode about Penny getting addicted to it and although they referenced some actual stuff from the game the context was usually way off or highly inaccurate, but you expect that kind of stuff, they just try to make it funny for people who have clue was a SWTOR is. I hope EA's money was well spent :p

markatisu

Yeah, I had to laugh at that. Not surprised though, previous games which have been shown have usually had those kind of inaccuracys.

Yeah they do that with non-video games as well (they play Talisman the board game completely wrong) but I guess that is the price for nerdish product placement

Only thing I was sad about was that they did not do in character shots of the guys like South Park did with WoW and BBT already did with Conan

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Wallach

I might switch my Trooper out for a Bounty Hunter. I like the class mechanics a lot but the story is boring me out of my mind, and repeating most of the other quests I did on my Smuggler isn't very interesting. Change of scenery might make the leveling process more palatable.

Miletius

I might switch my Trooper out for a Bounty Hunter. I like the class mechanics a lot but the story is boring me out of my mind, and repeating most of the other quests I did on my Smuggler isn't very interesting. Change of scenery might make the leveling process more palatable.

You won't regret it. The BH and Trooper have identical mechanics but the I think BH has by far the cooler looking animations, better companion characters and is overall a better experience.

The troopers do get cooler weapons though, for what it's worth.

And full BM gear has been attained, even the relic. Gonna take a few days break and play Journey and ME3.
Congrats man, I'm two pieces away. If I'm lucky I should get one more today. My BM gear grind has been pretty smoooth, took me about a week to get my gear.

Now I'm trying to focus on PVE mods. :\

Infinity

I'm on the fence about this game. I just started playing ME1 again and really love Bioware's storytelling ability. I keep hearing great things about the Imperial Agent storyline too.

Is this a good time to get into it for someone who is more accustomed to WoW - for better and worse? :)

Thanks.

I'm on the fence about this game. I just started playing ME1 again and really love Bioware's storytelling ability. I keep hearing great things about the Imperial Agent storyline too.

Is this a good time to get into it for someone who is more accustomed to WoW - for better and worse? :)

Thanks.

I dunno, game is what it is right now, its up to you really, but a big update to the game with lot of nice new features is coming in April that you might want to wait for

Thanks.
I'd say wait for April when 1.2 comes out. I think it should be a patch that new players should wait for.

aett

Female trooper has Jennifer Hale, though.

Female BH has Grey Delisle, who is also excellent. I really liked her in this game. In general, I've found the female VAs to be overall better than the male equivalents.

In other news, I'm playing my first Republic character, I'm level 16, and Coruscant sucks. It's one of my least favorite planets, but I was looking forward to seeing it. It's all long hallways and you don't have a speeder or even sprint (for most of it). I feel bad for Republic characters because they have to do both Coruscant and the nearly-identical Nar Shaddah.

Cystm

Thanks.

Someone give this guy a free trial invite. I gave all of mine away already, or I would myself.

Aquila

Thanks.

I can get you a free trial invite if you like. PM me. All of my friends are already on tor or not interested so I have a few to give away. We're on Dark Reaper but I'd recommend whatever server the rest of gaf is on.

After 17 attempts (at roughly 100k total cost a pop due to the Mandalorian Irons) I finally critted my fucking Rakata Enforcer's Belt. Ugh, what an ordeal.

Now only have to crit my bracers and I'll be all done with Armormech.

Does anyone know if these Rakata items can be reverse engineered? For example, check out the page on torhead. It shows upgraded versions of these items, although when I asked around in General chat people were adamant that these items can't be upgraded through RE.

I've RE'ed quite a number of them and never gotten an upgraded schematic, and I know for other items that there is actually no upgrade possible you will get the message "No reverse engineering information available." So I'm not sure, I guess my own test is still inconclusive. Does anyone know for with 100% certainty whether or not it's possible?

Milly79

After 17 attempts (at roughly 100k total cost a pop due to the Mandalorian Irons) I finally critted my fucking Rakata Enforcer's Belt. Ugh, what an ordeal.

Now only have to crit my bracers and I'll be all done with Armormech.

Does anyone know if these Rakata items can be reverse engineered? For example, check out the page on torhead. It shows upgraded versions of these items, although when I asked around in General chat people were adamant that these items can't be upgraded through RE.

I've RE'ed quite a number of them and never gotten an upgraded schematic, and I know for other items that there is actually no upgrade possible you will get the message "No reverse engineering information available." So I'm not sure, I guess my own test is still inconclusive. Does anyone know for with 100% certainty whether or not it's possible?

I didn't think purples could be re'd for schems? I don't think craft mats either... not 100% sure.

only took me 1 try for the belt and 5? times for the bracer to crit. were you using your companion that had the efficiency or crit chance +?

Wallach

You won't regret it. The BH and Trooper have identical mechanics but the I think BH has by far the cooler looking animations, better companion characters and is overall a better experience.

The troopers do get cooler weapons though, for what it's worth.

So I wound up doing this last night and getting up to level 11 on the Bounty Hunter (quit right before turning in the last quest and leaving Hutta). So far you're exactly right, pretty much everything about the contrast between the two classes favors the BH; the moves look better, sound better (the wet fart noise of HIB being replaced with RS is especially nice), feel better (Death From Above feels totally natural compared to Mortar Volley with its huge wind up), and the story/companions are already more interesting. Night and day, really. Doesn't hurt that there are about twice as many people actually playing on this side, either.

Now I just have to get a ship so I can go to Nar Shadda and put up a medpac for a million credits so I can get my groove on.

I'm not sure what to do about crafting, though. I don't know if I really want to go Armormech again. With the 1.2 changes, what I think I might do is go pure profiteer and do something like Slicing, Underworld Trading, and Investigation and just save up all of the materials for Armormech/Armstech (especially the latter since nobody uses it right now) and just unleash a storm of expensive materials on the GTN once everyone starts grinding those harder. It's not like the crew skills are really doing me any good right now, and with the 1.2 changes it sounds like I can buy anything crafters can make.

I didn't think purples could be re'd for schems? I don't think craft mats either... not 100% sure.

only took me 1 try for the belt and 5? times for the bracer to crit. were you using your companion that had the efficiency or crit chance +?

None of mycompanions had +armormech crit unfortunately.

You can defintely RE for mats because i do it every time. I know some purples can be REd for schematics. I had a blue base item I REd to get purple schematic, and then I REd that purple to get another purple. Not sure if thats different though

Draxal

So I wound up doing this last night and getting up to level 11 on the Bounty Hunter (quit right before turning in the last quest and leaving Hutta). So far you're exactly right, pretty much everything about the contrast between the two classes favors the BH; the moves look better, sound better (the wet fart noise of HIB being replaced with RS is especially nice), feel better (Death From Above feels totally natural compared to Mortar Volley with its huge wind up), and the story/companions are already more interesting. Night and day, really. Doesn't hurt that there are about twice as many people actually playing on this side, either.

Mortar Volley is either bugged atm or DFA is going to get changed. (Wouldn't suprise me if mortar volley is the correct form, DFA is rather kinda strong without any forewarning. Look at it compared to the Agent's/Smuggler's long ranged nuke, it's just too fast compared to them.) As for the storyline, I think a part of the problem is Ord Mantell/Coruscant fatigue. Both starter planters are just pure setup, and I think Ord Mantell is the worst starting planet there is.

Trouble

Banned
u5huK.png

/singletear

Wallach

Mortar Volley is either bugged atm or DFA is going to get changed. (Wouldn't suprise me if mortar volley is the correct form, DFA is rather kinda strong without any forewarning. Look at it compared to the Agent's/Smuggler's long ranged nuke, it's just too fast compared to them.) As for the storyline, I think a part of the problem is Ord Mantell/Coruscant fatigue. Both starter planters are just pure setup, and I think Ord Mantell is the worst starting planet there is.

I'd be surprised if Mortar Volley was the one working correctly. The last tick of damage comes out well after the channel even ends, so you can start moving before you've even fired the last round. I'd be willing to wager in 1.2 MV is adjusted to behave more like DFA.

Enosh

I love pvp in this game, but by god the premades are a pain

i came to hate every time civil war or void start came up because the rep premades would usualy destroy us, now I dread hutball a lot more since there is a guild on my server full of battlemasters that murders everyone and everything in their path

and they have some "beefs" with some other imp guilds so when they play against them they drag out hutball on purpose for the whole game just so they can flame each other in general chat -.-

Trouble

Banned
Starsiders prime defense. At night there are so few pubs playing they can field 8 man premades.

I got in a short-manned hutball against 2 premades from those two guilds the other night. They played naked and it was still no challenge. SMH at the matchmaker for not splitting them up.

gatti-man

I love pvp in this game, but by god the premades are a pain

i came to hate every time civil war or void start came up because the rep premades would usualy destroy us, now I dread hutball a lot more since there is a guild on my server full of battlemasters that murders everyone and everything in their path

and they have some "beefs" with some other imp guilds so when they play against them they drag out hutball on purpose for the whole game just so they can flame each other in general chat -.-

Ahhh the glory of of pvp. Premades will become less ofvan issue once ranked matches start going. I can tell you on kv there are some rivalries forming. I literally can't stand losing to some people. Like I want to snap my keyboard if they win.

Lilsnubby

Ok so there's this toon SerpentSlash on KV who gets as many 75 kills in a match (under 50) with only a few deaths and at least double the damage of everyone else and little or no healing going on. He's got to be doing some kind of twinking. What the hell is it?

CzarTim

Ahhh the glory of of pvp. Premades will become less ofvan issue once ranked matches start going. I can tell you on kv there are some rivalries forming. I literally can't stand losing to some people. Like I want to snap my keyboard if they win.

It's great! KV has a great community. I just wish more people were on late-night.

Ugh, my guardian finally hit 50 and I do not miss being a fresh 50 in PVP at all. Not fun.

Had a champ assassin pretty much toy with me during an entire Voidstar, and I don't know my class well enough to do anything about it.

Probably just going to stay on my Sniper/Powertech for a long, long, time.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My first 60 day time card will be expiring on the 20th. :-(

I haven't touched the game in a couple weeks, again. I don't know why, I just am not getting drawn in. Like I had mentioned (plenty of times) earlier, the barren wastelands and near-zero population on the planets just drove me away. I just have no desire to go and play for hours and hours from 41 to 50 without crossing paths with people.

That said, I'm not hating! I bought another 60 Day Time Card this week ;p I think I might log a few hours into the game before my current sub expires. And then I'll wait for 1.2 to use my new time card... I'm hoping the Legacy system will kickstart the worlds again.

Isaccard

I'll just say despite population concerns (which aren't as bad as suggested by most IMO), I've missed a class or two just to play this game. Having tons of fun with it.

Edit: Did I mention how epic 1.2 will be? ;D

I haven't touched the game in a couple weeks, again. I don't know why, I just am not getting drawn in. Like I had mentioned (plenty of times) earlier, the barren wastelands and near-zero population on the planets just drove me away. I just have no desire to go and play for hours and hours from 41 to 50 without crossing paths with people.

That said, I'm not hating! I bought another 60 Day Time Card this week ;p I think I might log a few hours into the game before my current sub expires. And then I'll wait for 1.2 to use my new time card... I'm hoping the Legacy system will kickstart the worlds again.

Lot of it is the way the world is designed. Even at launch when there was waits on the servers of over half n hour, you were not crossing paths with players very often. The planets and questing is just way too spread out and with the planets being basically just giant leveling zones, you don't see people as often. Only on the starter planets do you see players and that is because they are so small. The later levels just get ridiculously large and spread out. Quesh which is about size of the starting planets is a late game planet and you will see players far more often, even though it's a short planet.

They could have probably really shrunk down these planets.

Kinda funny as before launch people were concerned that the planets were just going to be little zones and not feel like a large planet. But then game launches and the planet zones are way too big.

Moaradin

I'm fine with the zones being big. They are meant to be for leveling only. Big or small, they will eventually become barren due to everyone already completing them. What I want them to do though, is add a bunch of social features that encourage anyone to go back to those planets. Random events, maybe?

Draxal

I don't think you will see any people from 40-50 except for some people traveling to the 50Daily area in Belsavis (or Corellia after 1.2). The 41-50 planets are gigantic.

I really think the problem is that the Jedi Guardian/Sith Warrior is the worst class to level (no cc/weapon dam based/ and in sentinel's case a pretty high skill cap). I found leveling 41-50 to be a chore on my Guardian compared to my Commando, and I had my Guardian fully modded at all times, while the Commando was in quest greens. Lack of CC, I think killed it for me.

Lot of it is the way the world is designed. Even at launch when there was waits on the servers of over half n hour, you were not crossing paths with players very often. The planets and questing is just way too spread out and with the planets being basically just giant leveling zones, you don't see people as often. Only on the starter planets do you see players and that is because they are so small. The later levels just get ridiculously large and spread out. Quesh which is about size of the starting planets is a late game planet and you will see players far more often, even though it's a short planet.

They could have probably really shrunk down these planets.

Kinda funny as before launch people were concerned that the planets were just going to be little zones and not feel like a large planet. But then game launches and the planet zones are way too big.

I love the scale of the planets, but it really does seem like a single player game instead of a multi, unless you're leveling with somebody else.

I hit a pretty gamebreaking bug on my smuggler today(basically it prevents you from getting Bowdaar), hope they fix it by Tuesday.

Top Bottom