• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Long queues are mostly a good thing. There is going to be a massive population dropoff during the month, and having to live with 20+ minute queue times means not being stuck in a dead server a month down the line (well, less of a chance anyways).

When you say massive how many people are you expecting to drop within the first 3 months? 40%?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well, after work today, I'll be giving DPS Guardian a try. Going up the middle tree looks fun. Get access to Shien form and good buffs all around. Guardian DPS looks like it'll be heavy hitting type of bursty damage unless I'm mixing it up with the Force tree.

Curious if I should switch up professions... hmm....

Also, I sure hope they provide a way to change appearance in game soon. My guy's eyes look...well, he doesn't look right. He's like flat shaded almost. =/

Missing out on this majorly

Office Holiday party
After Party
People Drunk
Driving best friend home
And, I probably won't be playing till today evening/night

Rflagg

So my cat woke me just after maintenance, and because i am an addict I decide to play for a bit despite it being 4am my time. Major sleepy +healer bad idea.

Anybody having luck selling biochem junk I have yet to sell even one item, I am really starting to regret my choice. :(

I want to get a Naga or a keypad like the g13 anybody have suggestions?

Unless the whole Yellow/dark skinned thing is related to something of cross breeding and being a sub species located on Dathomir, which at the time of TOR likely doesn't exist yet.

They are missing some colors of Twilek as well so yea not all coloring is available in game for their species

Which again is a bit annoying, dont get my wrong its a great game but honestly it cant be hard to add in a few more skin colours.

Pretty confused about the Rattataki race i assume its supposed to be so you can create a Asajj Ventress clone but she is one of the Dathomirian. The Rattataki have a very small role in star wars as a whole.

Sith inquisitor in PVP is surprisingly doing well, i find myself healing the ball carrier and myself while 4 tropper try to kills me.

I though i would get destroyed but the healing and CC is making the SI a great tool for teamwork!

Also am addicted to crafting, im ruinning myself sending my pet non stop to crafting mission, even when am not playing,and i am nearby, i leave the game open and come back every 6 minute to send him gather these preciooouss materials.

Frankly so far I find the Inquisitors to feel very OP. Besides great healing, they do good damage still and they are not fragile at all. They are already fairly tough and then they got some of the best CC on top of that? Can see why it seems like the most played class, keep getting in groups of nothing but Inquisitors

Kem0sabe

So mat cat woke me just after maintenance, and because i am an addict I decide to play for a bit despite it being 4am my time. Major sleepy +healer bad idea.

Anybody having luck selling biochem junk I have yet to sell even one item, I am really starting to regret my choice. :(

I use the Razer Nostromo best piece of computer hardware i ever bought since my old 486 dx2 :)

Crafting wise, i would suggest taking the mission skills... diplomacy, underworld trading and investigation, you can get money, darkside/lightside points, schematics and companion gifts, all of which will earn you money and/or character advancement with little associated cost.

Then when you reach 50 and have enough cash to burn, level a crafting skill. :)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just finished the Essels and I think it was the most fun I had with an instance. On the downside, I don't think I'll play it again, because it was pretty long because of the story and when stripped of it, it all came to simple tank & spank.
Also, I noticed that print screen doesn't work during cutscenes. >_>

Which again is a bit annoying, dont get my wrong its a great game but honestly it cant be hard to add in a few more skin colours.

Pretty confused about the Rattataki race i assume its supposed to be so you can create a Asajj Ventress clone but she is one of the Dathomirian. The Rattataki have a very small role in star wars as a whole.

Dathomirian doesn't seem to be a race as they see to have a mix of humans, zabraks, Rattataki, etc. There likely isn't really a race that is native to the planet and it's more of a melting pot of species.

Ventress was a Rattataki for years before the CW created the whole story of her being from Dathomir. At the time of TOR the Dathomirian's likely don't exist yet.

qKaC3K

This doesn't look good.... 1h 40m queue at 4pm
Yesterday I was in the line for more than 2h 30mins.

Bioware should really do something about this.
ie.: character transfers, guild transfers or selected guild transfers

They aren't going to do that this early into it. They basically are just going to open more servers.

Rflagg

I use the Razer Nostromo best piece of computer hardware i ever bought since my old 486 dx2 :)

Crafting wise, i would suggest taking the mission skills... diplomacy, underworld trading and investigation, you can get money, darkside/lightside points, schematics and companion gifts, all of which will earn you money and/or character advancement with little associated cost.

Thanks will try the crew skill thing.

As for the Nostromo is it fairly easy to get used to I mostly just want something to speed up skill usage and or targeting, no target of target or assist through target makes healing especially painful at times.

Edit:have a big head start on diplomacy but not had much luck selling the gifts (I just charge whatever the gtn suggests) so far.

How much more comfortable is that thing versus using your normal KB?

qKaC3K

They aren't going to do that this early into it. They basically are just going to open more servers.

I understand that they are most likely not going to allow players to transfer yet. (I'm not even sure they have the technology in place for that yet)
But they know the exact population numbers and they also know how much they would have to lower it to bearable queues (30min in my opinion is fine).

So what they could do is that during a maintenance period move selected guilds to newly created servers to lower the population on Tomb of Freedon Nadd.

I understand that they are most likely not going to allow players to transfer yet. (I'm not even sure they have the technology in place for that yet)
But they know the exact population numbers and they also know how much they would have to lower it to bearable queues (30min in my opinion is fine).

So what they could do is that during a maintenance period move selected guilds to newly created servers to lower the population on Tomb of Freedon Nadd.

Getting the guilds to go along with this will be tough, and doing it themselves just is a mess. Really only hope is for guilds to themselves decided to move. My GF's guild who has over 200+ members decided to go somewhere else early on and basically told all it's guild members they were going to a less populated server, and to one that wasn't full of Goon Squad idiots

It doesn't help that naturally new players will choose to go to a server that is more heavily populated when creating characters than go to a light server since they want to play where most players are. So besides the guilds you get tons of players flocking to where there is lots of activity.

Kem0sabe

Thanks will try the crew skill thing.

As for the Nostromo is it fairly easy to get used to I mostly just want something to speed up skill usage and or targeting, no target of target or assist through target makes healing especially painful at times.

Edit:have a big head start on diplomacy but not had much luck selling the gifts (I just charge whatever the gtn suggests) so far.

Sell the low level gifts and store the blue/purple ones to sell later. Economies tend to be sluggish when the game is filled with low level characters. As soon as it matures, you will be sitting in a pile of credits.

Your right when you say healing is a pain, guess we will just have to do it old school untill a proper UI comes along.

Personally i changed the group window to the raid window as default and changed the width and height of the raid frames to be more visible. Also unlocked the frames to be right above my own character frame...

Its not much but it helps :)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So I've played a Sith Warrior to level 11, a Bounty Hunter to level 12, and last night I got my Sith Inquisitor to level 9... I feel the Inq is the weakest of the bunch. Do they suddenly bloom in power in a few levels? Because I'm at like 30% health after taking on a group of 2 or 3 enemies with one being a silver elite (or whatever they're called).

Fonds

I came home at 14:30 hoping to play for a bit. Then do some homework in the afternoon and pull an allnighter in SWTOR afterwards...
It's 16:25 now and I've still got 300 people ahead of me in the queue. I really hope something will be done about this, because at this pace I'm lucky if I even get in before the night starts to fall.
It's ridiculous imho, I demand compensation. *insert I'm a paying customer rant*

markatisu

Just finished the Essels and I think it was the most fun I had with an instance. On the downside, I don't think I'll play it again, because it was pretty long because of the story and when stripped of it, it all came to simple tank & spank.
Also, I noticed that print screen doesn't work during cutscenes. >_>

Use fraps, it can screenshot everything

Sell the low level gifts and store the blue/purple ones to sell later. Economies tend to be sluggish when the game is filled with low level characters. As soon as it matures, you will be sitting in a pile of credits.

Your right when you say healing is a pain, guess we will just have to do it old school untill a proper UI comes along.

Personally i changed the group window to the raid window as default and changed the width and height of the raid frames to be more visible. Also unlocked the frames to be right above my own character frame...

How do you sell crafted goods besides at vendors? I keep hearing about auctions but have no idea how that system works.

Rflagg

I will try this as well, the issues I have is mainly switching to dps and back to heal really eats too much time to be worth it on hard fights. Even with points to speed it up, the sage's big heal is kind of on the slow side which compounds the issue.

Kem0sabe

How do you sell crafted goods besides at vendors? I keep hearing about auctions but have no idea how that system works.

It´s called the GTN - Galactic Trade Network. It´s basicly the auction house system and works the same as in any other mmo that has it.

Take a look in your map when you reach Dromund Kaas (Empire capital, second quest planet) or Coruscant (Republic capital, second quest planet).

I came home at 14:30 hoping to play for a bit. Then do some homework in the afternoon and pull an allnighter in SWTOR afterwards...
It's 16:25 now and I've still got 300 people ahead of me in the queue. I really hope something will be done about this, because at this pace I'm lucky if I even get in before the night starts to fall.
It's ridiculous imho, I demand compensation. *insert I'm a paying customer rant*

That is terrible. I shudder to think what the queue on my server will be when I get home in 1h.

TBH stuff like that can REALLY damage the game (reputation). Nobody wants 2h queues.. maybe 20m max.

Heh randomness of ebay. Bunch of malgus statues on there with no bid yet theres a couple with high bids already. One for 102 already when theres many not bid on yet

Hixx

It's the major downside of not releasing a server list imo. By the time I'd learned it was a Spanish/Italian community server I'd put 10 hours into it and then by the time the queues became ridiculous, 20 hours. And they want people who have put all this time into their chars already to pick another server instead of stopping people from creating characters on it for a while or more harshly just giving the Spanish and Italian communities a server of their own. I don't think they'd care much if their language wasn't officially supported and it'd reduce the strain on by far the most popular server :/

Anybody know what the status is for the rest of us on early access? Is everyone supposed to be in today, or has something gone screwy with my early access code or something

Guesong

Anybody know what the status is for the rest of us on early access? Is everyone supposed to be in today, or has something gone screwy with my early access code or something

Second wave is 40 minutes late for some reason.

Reid tweeted that barring any major disaster, everyone else should be in today. Apparantly we might be in said major disaster right now!

Klorox33

Neo Member
So my cat woke me just after maintenance, and because i am an addict I decide to play for a bit despite it being 4am my time. Major sleepy +healer bad idea.

I have the Logitech g700 on my Christmas list. http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/mice-keyboard-combos/devices/7244

I am hoping it will be as good as my tried and true as my logitech g5..

Jezbollah

I was in the queue for pretty much the same time yesterday.

Bioware and EA can get fucked if they think I'm going to waste time like this, let alone pay for it. They need a major assessment over population distribution right now.

Fonds

It's the major downside of not releasing a server list imo. By the time I'd learned it was a Spanish/Italian community server I'd put 10 hours into it and then by the time the queues became ridiculous, 20 hours. And they want people who have put all this time into their chars already to pick another server instead of stopping people from creating characters on it for a while or more harshly just giving the Spanish and Italian communities a server of their own. I don't think they'd care much if their language wasn't officially supported and it'd reduce the strain on by far the most popular server :/

Yeh not to offend the spanish/italian community but it's really damn annoying to see those guys jamming general chat with their gibberish.
I'm really starting to contemplate switching servers just because of this, but ofcourse that's just what Bioware wants me to do.... so I wont ><
Also my loyalties lie with the GAF guild so I'm pretty much restrained to that server. If the opportunity comes to move, I'm definitely taking up for a vote with the guild.

Bioware should've seen this coming though... it almost seemed like they implemented 50% of all euro pre-formed guilds to the 4 full servers and let the rest just choose whatever server they wanted.

Akyan

Reid tweeted that barring any major disaster, everyone else should be in today. Apparantly we might be in said major disaster right now!

It might be server pop concerns... 1/3 of the euro servers are already full and it's only 3pm.

Akyan

Yeh not to offend the spanish/italian community but it's really damn annoying to see those guys jamming general chat with their gibberish.
I'm really starting to contemplate switching servers just because of this, but ofcourse that's just what Bioware wants me to do.... so I wont ><
Also my loyalties lie with the GAF guild so I'm pretty much restrained to that server. If the opportunity comes to move, I'm definitely taking up for a vote with the guild.

Bioware should've seen this coming though... it almost seemed like they implemented 50% of all euro pre-formed guilds to the 4 full servers and let the rest just choose whatever server they wanted.

I hope things will simmer down a bit after the first week or so, either that or they'll have to do something....

Boogdud

It pisses me off to no end we get nobody races like the rattataki and miraluka when there are interesting races like rodian and calamari that are ignored (even though there are some npcs). Don't give me that "we're worried about helmets clipping" bullshit either, you put friggin twi'leks in the game.

Major disaster would figure. I think I'm going to preemptively stock up on caffeine just in case I'm in sometime today. 1-20 in one sitting or bust.

Top Bottom