• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Etheus

Neo Member
Does anyone know how long the maintenance is? Can't seem to find the information anywhere.

Absolutely love the game, got my Sorceror up to 25 and love my speeder. :)

Emitan

Here's a random question: when you guys hit the \ key, does it automatically try to create a CS ticket? I couldn't find a way to unbind this key from that behavior anywhere in the options. Really stupid.

It's supposed to be Ctrl+\ but for some reason it's just \

Wallach

Does anyone know how long the maintenance is? Can't seem to find the information anywhere.

It's kind of dumb since the maintenance shuts down their site, so it isn't very obvious where to go to find out how long it is supposed to last. You'd think knowing that they would have put it in the in-game server message. I found it by starting the launcher again, though, and it is supposed to last 4 hours.

It's supposed to be Ctrl+\ but for some reason it's just \

I tried unbinding the function that Ctrl + \ was bound to, but to no avail.

EekTheKat

Did my first flashpoint a Shadow Tank and I was pretty happy with the results. Took a while to get the rotation down but I think I have something workable out of it.

I did sort of cheat though, leveled up a bit to get some of the tanking tools/talents and brought it back to Esseles to see how it worked in a group environment.

Shadow seems to be a cooldown based AE centric tank, I didn't have much problems picking up everything on Esseles and kept my healer relatively untouched throughout the whole fight.

I played a Sage healer in beta, and that was way easier to get anything done. Shadow Tanking seemed like an interesting challenge so I decided to give it a try.

I hit 16 earlier today + managed to get what I think is the taunt for a Jedi Shadow. The only thing I'm missing is somesort of charge mechanism/rush skill, but I'm hoping a cooldown reduced Force Speed can fill that role adequately. Still having fun with it but I do seem to get squished more than I did as a healer.

Is the game actually keeping screenshots anywhere? I looked in the folder and didn't see anything.

I've been playing since this afternoon. I've been playing a Sith Inquisitor. I really don't like the rude/douchy NPCs and Korriban is kind of ugly, but I really wanted my own Darth Maul. I made a Zabrak and I went Assassin too.

I've been having a lot of fun with the game. My only real problem so far is that sometime it's not really clear what is the dark or light option. Like with the green guy from the final test you can choose to feed or kill. I thought they were going to keep the light on top and the dark on bottom or something like Mass Effect, but that's failed me a few times now.

Yaska

2-4 hours. It should be in the launcher alerts. Next maintenance is on 19th, and then one on 22nd

Emitan

Is the game actually keeping screenshots anywhere? I looked in the folder and didn't see anything.

I've been playing since this afternoon. I've been playing a Sith Inquisitor. I really don't like the rude/douchy NPCs and Korriban is kind of ugly, but I really wanted my own Darth Maul. I made a Zabrak and I went Assassin too.

I've been having a lot of fun with the game. My only real problem so far is that sometime it's not really clear what is the dark or light option. Like with the green guy from the final test you can choose to feed or kill. I thought they were going to keep the light on top and the dark on bottom or something like Mass Effect, but that's failed me a few times now.

You can make it appear next to the option. And if you mouse over it also shows up.

Yaska

You can set the game to show an icon for lightside/darkside in the options. It's below the subtitles option.

Wallach

Oh. That's cool. Minmaxers would be annoyed with that if they didn't have that option.

One other thing to keep in mind is that you can hit ESC during any conversation and it will exit out and undo any of your choices. I have no idea if that applies to group conversations, though.

Pakman

4 hours. Kinda retarded they tell you to go to the swtor website for more info only to see that it's also under maintenance... lol.

Filth

One other thing to keep in mind is that you can hit ESC during any conversation and it will exit out and undo any of your choices. I have no idea if that applies to group conversations, though.

Yeah or hit space bar. In a flashpoint if you wanna skip dialogue your group needs skip it all together.

Level 25 assassin. Game is awesome. Story mode is awesome. The space combat offeres a huge break from the mmo aspect. The fact you can upgrade your ship is awesome but I wish you could actually see a difference when you upgrade.

So, I got Artifice, archeology, and slicing and I wanted to ask if Slicing is any good. It seems like it would be slower and more work to level since you can't just send your crew on a mission and go afk or run around town or whatever. So far I've only found cases with some money.

AppleMIX

So, I got Artifice, archeology, and slicing and I wanted to ask if Slicing is any good. It seems like it would be slower and more work to level since you can't just send your crew on a mission and go afk or run around town or whatever. So far I've only found cases with some money.

Slicing is amazing. You will be drowning in money very soon.

Slicing basically prints money, so it's good for that. I'm sure there's other perks to it, but that's the main one.

I'm actually levelling Slicing pretty quickly. The amount of money that you put into it is pretty much paid back with every lockbox you get. As you level it up more and more you'll start getting huge credit payouts if you keep sending out companions for lockboxes.

Pakman

Can I swap out crew skills? And not loose my levels in it? May want to pick up slicing based on everyone's comments since I'm running real low on funds with artifice/treasure hunting/archaeology.

rakhir

Can I swap out crew skills? And not loose my levels in it? May want to pick up slicing based on everyone's comments since I'm running real low on funds with artifice/treasure hunting/archaeology.

You can unlearn it at the crew skills panel - there's a cross next to your skill level. You will lose all your skill points in it i assume.

Question is: are the other skills viable without one of the parts? For example is artificing good at high levels with only archeology and without treasure hunting?

So is there an official PvP GAF server? I didn't want to join the PvE GAF so just in case anyone is thinking about what server to join and needs someone to play with, The Swiftsure is where I've been at since first day of early access (West PvP, mainly Republic).

Pakman

You can unlearn it at the crew skills panel - there's a cross next to your skill level. You will lose all your skill points in it i assume.

Question is: are the other skills viable without one of the parts? For example is artificing good at high levels with only archeology and without treasure hunting?

Ugh. Thanks. I guess I'll just quit sending my companions out everytime they come back and try saving up some money... =p

Wait..... the NeoGAF guild is on a PVE Server?

:(

Yeah... With Goon Squad... Which I have no idea why those idiots (Goonies) picked PVE... Almost didn't roll this sever because I saw they were on it.

rakhir

Ugh. Thanks. I guess I'll just quit sending my companions out everytime they come back and try saving up some money... =p
I'm in the same boat as you are - while i was watching Giant Bomb last night (at least it was night where i live :p) i was clicking the next missions every three minutes or so - man, money flew fast! :D Lost half of it in a little bit over an hour.

And i have the same skills too.

Yeah... With Goon Squad... Which I have no idea why those idiots (Goonies) picked PVE... Almost didn't roll this sever because I saw they were on it.

I'm in Good Squad, *salute*

gyrspike

Neo Member
If you really just want to get credits I'd say go with Scavenging/bioanalysis/Slicing.

Send your companions on slicing missions, plus all three can be used to find crafting nodes and scavenging/bioanalysis can be used to get crafting items from certain corpses. Sell all the junk you get from scav/bioanal and you should have silly levels of cash.

Kinan

What are the means to get new schematics in this game? I'm talking about synthweaving now, but its also a general question. I got 3 when I accepted the profession, I got one blue after reverse engineering of one of those 3 things.
Will I get some more recipes from the trainer after lvl up? Can you buy new recipes at vendors? Can they drop from bosses or smth?

Pakman

I'm in Good Squad, *salute*

Lol, sorry... :p Is it a consolation or an insult if I say that I only ran into one member of GS that was a complete idiot so far during this EA? ;)

What are the means to get new schematics in this game? I'm talking about synthwaving now, but its also a general question. I got 3 when I accepted the profession, I got one blue after reverse engineering of one of those 3 things.
Will I get some more recipes from the trainer after lvl up? Can you buy new recipes at vendors? Can they drop from bosses or smth?

Once you get your skill up in Synthweaving go to the skill trainer and you can learn more. I was a retard and I didn't realize this for the longest time and wasted a lot of time. Not sure on drops or anything though.

Does anyone know if you can go beyond purple items while reverse engineering?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Well, I don't mean to come here to stir up trouble, but I'm looking for an experienced WoW arena player's opinion on this game. My friends all want me to play an MMO with them again, and I'm not looking to get back into WoW. Took five years of my time and pvp was in the majority of it. Gladiator, world pvp, you name it, I participated.

I guess it's a bit early to tell how world pvp or battlegrounds (or whatever they call it here) will turn out, so what I'm really looking for is how the game feels in pvp scenarios.

I'm sure the PvE will be great, but I want both sides of the MMO paper properly filled before I put time into this game.

Any replies are appreciated. I'll be keeping an eye out on this thread. Have fun folks!

rakhir

I have a question too for you guys: is viable to level up with a tank talents or is it's a chore like in vanilla wow? I was a warrior tank in wow for a few years, but i know it can be a problem to level up as one.
I'm levelling a JGuardian and don't know which path to take since there's no dual specs in TOR (for now).

Pakman

I have a question too for you guys: is viable to level up with a tank talents or is it's a chore like in vanilla wow? I was a warrior tank in wow for a few years, but i know it can be a problem to level up as one.
I'm levelling a JGuardian and don't know which path to take since there's no dual specs in TOR (for now).

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=310078#post310078

Seems like people are saying you'll be fine because of companions (namely Kira).

Ningo

sleep deprivation this week is catching up with me, c'mon bioware, before I fall asleep. Great time for maintenance Fri 5pm my time, 10pm now zzz

sleep deprivation this week is catching up with me, c'mon bioware, before I fall asleep. Great time for maintenance Fri 5pm my time, 10pm now zzz

I know that feel :( Luckily someone reminded everyone to quick travel to a cantina as the 5 minute warning came up, so at least I'll have some rested xp once the servers come back up.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, fuck. Tomb of Freedon Nadd has 40 min queue again.
I'll log in tomorrow with Soh'jin (assuming no queue) and give someone in the guild a rank whose powers are essentially equal to guildmaster (volunteers?). I'll be playing on Bao-Dur (EU Eng PVE) until ToFN stops having queues or they're reasonable length.
Posting character name(s) later on, in case people want to be in contact or want to play.

Top Bottom