• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Could be extremely bad luck with the server I'm on, but the community is killing this for me. Constantly arguing about World of Warcraft in general, and being generally appalling when it comes to grouping, questing and looting.

WoW has really destroyed a generation of gamers and the way they behave playing games. Everyone is out for them self, its basically a single player game where a couple of hundred other people get in your way and annoy you.

J-Rzez

Could be extremely bad luck with the server I'm on, but the community is killing this for me. Constantly arguing about World of Warcraft in general, and being generally appalling when it comes to grouping, questing and looting.

WoW has really destroyed a generation of gamers and the way they behave playing games. Everyone is out of them self, its basically a single player game where a couple of hundred other people get in your way and annoy you.

I'm going to say it's bad luck on your part. I was shocked that people were not "really" comparing the game to WoW, and were generally lightheartedly joking around most of the time. I didn't run any groups though, just did stuff with the guild.

CzarTim

WoW has really destroyed a generation of gamers and the way they behave playing games. Everyone is out of them self, its basically a single player game where a couple of hundred other people get in your way and annoy you.

The crowd on Keller's Void has been real chill.

On Taro's Blood I have met nothing but nice people. Also seem to be finding lot of players in this game who seem to be new to MMOs, lot of not understanding common MMO concepts and needing help along the way.

V_Arnold

WoW has really destroyed a generation of gamers
and the way they behave playing games. Everyone is out of them self, its basically a single player game where a couple of hundred other people get in your way and annoy you.

You really have a narrow view on gaming world if you really believe that.
WoW's changes reflected those of the gaming at large.

What is really sad is the amount of spoiled Blizzard-haters in EVERY online game's global chat rooms. They have no intention of enjoying their own games, but they constantly spit on WoW/D3/SCII, whatever. It is not Blizzard's "fault" that every other company have dropped the ball when it comes to enjoyable mass-market MMO experience.

Be interested in seeing you expand on this thought.

However my MMO experiences are SWG (matrix online lol!), WoW and now this. SWG was a very friendly experience, no one really cared about loot, no one cared about amazing 'gearscore', etc as it simply didn't exist. People enjoyed the game and the experience with each other.

Early wow started similar, before suddenly people became obsessed with loot and progression and wanting to blast through the content ASAP. Could be a narrow view, but from what I've experienced I can see where the change happened.

People don't want to group for mob killing quests, even though it'll be quicker, in case they miss out on loot. Ask a question in general and you get hammered with terrible 'internet' jokes that have been around since dawn of time. Or 'Dirge', or 'wowhead', etc.
Again, could be bad luck as it seems people are having a different experience on different servers.

Won

Haven't seen any mention of WoW so far on the german server I'm on.

Though the "not so full" zones may play a role in that.

Also my CE arrived. Not sure if I should open it.

What is really sad is the amount of spoiled Blizzard-haters in EVERY online game's global chat rooms. They have no intention of enjoying their own games, but they constantly spit on WoW/D3/SCII, whatever. It is not Blizzard's "fault" that every other company have dropped the ball when it comes to enjoyable mass-market MMO experience.

I don't think it's so much that wow ruined something, it's that for a lot of folks, WoW was their first MMO, and the newer generation of kids coming up that grew up with the internet, they think how they're acting is normal. Everything is for the "lulz". The Old Republic will end up this way too, if it catches on. Right now every one is chill for the most part because it's a new experience. Once it becomes normal, people will start complaining and the populace will probably end up like WoW>

Gritesh

Writing my government exam at 8 am, should take 2 hours.

If my invite isn't here when I am done.....

I will go do christmas shopping.

For what its worth I am enjoying the game (playing as BH), just feel very reluctant to invest myself into it while I feel the community is going to revert to 'form'. Signs are there already and its only been 'active' for 3 days.

Its very probable that I'm simply tired of MMOs in general. If this had been a single player game I wouldn't have anything to complain about.

Kem0sabe

Ended rolling on one of the new pvp servers that were launched last night, Trayus Academy... crossing my fingers the place doesnt get overrun by russians... or those damned spanish.

bill0527

Hows Bounty Hunter been in pvp?

I've ran 2 Warzones on my BH.

I think maybe I was lucky. I'm level 15 on my BH and I still don't have a solid rotation down. I've got my abilities grouped together situationally, but I still feel like I'm button mashing in PvP.

My first Warzone I was 3rd in kills with 34 and the next one I was 2nd with 37 kills. Both that I've ran had BHs as tops of the list. My 2nd warzone had 4 BHs and they all finished 1-4.

People don't seem to come after us as much. They go after the guys with the big glowsticks.

Ended rolling on one of the new pvp servers that were launched last night, Trayus Academy... crossing my fingers the place doesnt get overrun by russians... or those damned spanish.

Not picking on you in particular, but this bugs me too. Its not as if there are Russian or Spanish servers for that userbase to use. Seeing people go crazy in general chat at someone not speaking English is pretty embarrassing.

I asked one guy what his problem was and he said that he couldn't tell what they were saying...
Someone else said that they didn't want a large Russian userbase on the server as if/when a Russian server comes they'll all disappear to that and leave this server empty.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I don't think it's so much that wow ruined something, it's that for a lot of folks, WoW was their first MMO, and the newer generation of kids coming up that grew up with the internet, they think how they're acting is normal. Everything is for the "lulz". The Old Republic will end up this way too, if it catches on. Right now every one is chill for the most part because it's a new experience. Once it becomes normal, people will start complaining and the populace will probably end up like WoW>

Yeah, these "new generation" MMO players (largely introduced to the scene through WoW) are on a whole different mindset when they hit the game world. I'd like to try and make a comparison with us old school folks but I guess it's not necessary. MMOs are different now. You have a list of stuff to do. You do it and fuck anybody who gets in the way. It may sound shitty but that's the modern MMO setting that standard. You really can't fault people for being who they are. You also can't fault them for quitting less than three months later.

HBroward

This game is too addicting, thank god for server maintenance! Keller's Void has been great so far, I haven't run into any idiots yet. Today I should get my speeder too, with the CE arriving just in time to avoid having to spend a ton of credits. Alright, time to get back into the grind. I'm Trevin by the way. Long live the Empire!

Had a lot of fun last night. Hit level 10 so I will be looking to do some flashpoints tonight on KV with some GAFers. I am only at work 3 days next week, so let's run some flashpoints ok? :)

Kem0sabe

Not picking on you in particular, but this bugs me too. Its not as if there are Russian or Spanish servers for that userbase to use. Seeing people go crazy in general chat at someone not speaking English is pretty embarrassing.

I asked one guy what his problem was and he said that he couldn't tell what they were saying...
Someone else said that they didn't want a large Russian userbase on the server as if/when a Russian server comes they'll all disappear to that and leave this server empty.

I can only speak from my previous experience. I´m Portuguese, we are a small country with a small gamer community that tends to be ignored in mmo´s server wise, normally we integrate well into servers without declaring "this is our unofficial server".

In WoW for example, i had the misfortune on playing in a server that was declared as "Russian" and was practicably forced out of the server because only Russian players were accepted into groups, only Russian was used in chat.

My brother had the same experience (unfortunately twice) with Spanish and Italian communities.

As it stands, i would really like to play in a multicultural environment if everyone learns to play with each other, but that's not often the case. :(

Fonds

Jesus... something needs to be done about the Tomb of Freedom Nadd population (euro server).
Getting a 1200+ queue at 14:30 is just crazy.

Just get the damn capacity of the server up, or lock the server for new players... Just do something!

DPsygnet

Sith inquisitor in PVP is surprisingly doing well, i find myself healing the ball carrier and myself while 4 tropper try to kills me.

I though i would get destroyed but the healing and CC is making the SI a great tool for teamwork!

Also am addicted to crafting, im ruinning myself sending my pet non stop to crafting mission, even when am not playing,and i am nearby, i leave the game open and come back every 6 minute to send him gather these preciooouss materials.

I can only speak from my previous experience. I´m Portuguese, we are a small country with a small gamer community that tends to be ignored in mmo´s server wise, normally we integrate well into servers without declaring "this is our unofficial server".

In WoW for example, i had the misfortune on playing in a server that was declared as "Russian" and was practicably forced out of the server because only Russian players were accepted into groups, only Russian was used in chat.

My brother had the same experience (unfortunately twice) with Spanish and Italian communities.

As it stands, i would really like to play in a multicultural environment if everyone learns to play with each other, but that's not often the case. :(

The most 'fun' I ever had playing an MMO was when I somehow ended up in a Danish guild. They spoke perfect English, and would apologise for forgetting I was in guild chat/teamspeak server when they broke into this amazing Danish gargling conversation.

However, I started to pick up random Danish phrases over the years I was with them. Really nice bunch of people, best guild experience I've had. Nothing to do with TOR, just thought I'd share on the back of your post!
It would be great if people could just get along and play the game together, rather than freaking out because someone isn't from the same country as them.

No Yellow skin for Zabraks

This is an outrage.

SavageOpress-Poster.jpg

Jesus... something needs to be done about the Tomb of Freedom Nadd population (euro server).

Just get the damn capacity of the server up, or lock the server for new players... Just do something!

I think you can expect a lot of queues the first month (after that there usually is a dropoff). The vibe of the game is spreading and a lot of my friends are buying. It feels like early WoW all again. Everybody wants to play. I wouldn't be surprised if the hit 3M sales in the first few months.

CoilShot

My god...and they are still adding servers?? Even SWG wasn't like this at launch lol

Kem0sabe

The most 'fun' I ever had playing an MMO was when I somehow ended up in a Danish guild. They spoke perfect English, and would apologise for forgetting I was in guild chat/teamspeak server when they broke into this amazing Danish gargling conversation.

However, I started to pick up random Danish phrases over the years I was with them. Really nice bunch of people, best guild experience I've had. Nothing to do with TOR, just thought I'd share on the back of your post!
It would be great if people could just get along and play the game together, rather than freaking out because someone isn't from the same country as them.

I find that Scandinavians tend to be the nicest polite people. :)

My wife did her "internship" in Norway and she loved it, cold as hell (we live in an island in the middle of the Atlantic, so temp never goes bellow 14cº) but she never had a bad thing to say about the Norwegian people.

I find that Scandinavians tend to be the nicest polite people. :)

My wife did her "internship" in Norway and she loved it, cold as hell (we live in an island in the middle of the Atlantic, so temp never goes bellow 14cº) but she never had a bad thing to say about the Norwegian people.

Yeah, I'd agree with that based on the Scandinavians I've 'met'.

I think you can expect a lot of queues the first month (after that there usually is a dropoff). The vibe of the game is spreading and a lot of my friends are buying. It feels like early WoW all again. Everybody wants to play. I wouldn't be surprised if the hit 3M sales in the first few months.

It's certainly building steam. I think a lot of people's dismissal of the gaming being a simple WoW clone with VA is being overruled by the positive word of mouth.

bill0527

I hope they've got a plan for these servers when the general retail population gets here.

I don't get long stretches of time to play in one sitting. Like an hour and a half to 2 hours tops. I'm certainly not gonna deal with having that play time cut in half while I sit waiting to get in.

They better be opening up a massive amount of servers by the 20th. This 1-2 servers per day bullshit isn't going to cut it.

what is it then, he had yellow skin the first time you see him

It's really hard to say really, they kind of funked with continuity here by having the colors switched up for the Zabraks in that ep, made it hard to tell if its tribal paint or tattoos on them, and conflicts with the idea of the Sith markings believed to be what Maul had. CW screwing with everything as it was the first time they showed Zabrak in any media with such colorings

Kem0sabe

It's certainly building steam. I think a lot of people's dismissal of the gaming being a simple WoW clone with VA is being overruled by the positive word of mouth.

The problem is if the population implodes as it did in WAR and EA is left with a bunch of half dead servers. It all depends on how they update the game in the short term to cater to the WoW crowd expectations.

Won

Decided to set up a seperate bar for healing yesterday.

Today I decided to enable the left bar, because I'm kinda running out of space only to see that it uses my heal bar.

So I'm pretty much out of action bars and buttons at level 20.........

Today I decided to enable the left bar, because I'm kinda running out of space only to see that it uses my heal bar.

Don't you get 2 bottom and a left and right bars?

It's really hard to say really, they kind of funked with continuity here by having the colors switched up for the Zabraks in that ep, made it hard to tell if its tribal paint or tattoos on them, and conflicts with the idea of the Sith markings believed to be what Maul had. CW screwing with everything as it was the first time they showed Zabrak in any media with such colorings

I think the new continuity has the Dathomir nightbrother sub-species of Zabrak as having multiple skin colours.

However that point is moot, if Zabrak are naturally Caucasian skin toned then having the red-pink-orange skin colours for tOR implys that they are willing to include "coloured" zabrak in which case yellow skin is again a pretty large omission.

Either way be it Tattooed or Natural tOR has "coloured" zabrak no yellow is like having humans with no blond hair or twi'lek's with no blue skin

I think the new continuity has the Dathomir nightbrother sub-species of Zabrak as having multiple skin colours.

However that point is moot, if Zabrak are naturally Caucasian skin toned then having the red-pink-orange skin colours for tOR implys that they are willing to include "coloured" zabrak in which case yellow skin is again a pretty large omission.

Either way be it Tattooed or Natural tOR has "coloured" zabrak no yellow is like having humans with no blond hair or twi'lek's with no blue skin

Unless the whole Yellow/dark skinned thing is related to something of cross breeding and being a sub species located on Dathomir, which at the time of TOR likely doesn't exist yet.

They are missing some colors of Twilek as well so yea not all coloring is available in game for their species

TheExodu5

Banned
Long queues are mostly a good thing. There is going to be a massive population dropoff during the month, and having to live with 20+ minute queue times means not being stuck in a dead server a month down the line (well, less of a chance anyways).

Kinan

It is also useful to know that Ctrl+Mouse wheel rotation is cycling through your QBs.

Top Bottom