• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Out with the old, in with the new.

h348ll.jpg

RIP SWG :(

RIP Indeed...loved it pre-NGE...tears

Milly79

Its some kind of security question. I have no idea what I put, never even had a library card. It cant be any other question on my account, no. It has to be this one.

EDIT
Is there a way to force a different question?

It changed questions for me when I closed the launcher and reopened it. If that's what you're talking about.

pfkas

I've had no problems with queues - I'm on an EU server, one of the new ones they opened up yesterday. Logging off for the night now, I've been on since 12 noon.

Really enjoying it so far, my Smuggler is getting a bit more tooled up, but I've really enjoyed the Heroics and the Flashpoint so far, even if I did need to pee for about an hour while we were doing it, larks!

bill0527

i dont feel the gameplay. Its very "by the numbers". Movement and fighting is kind of floaty, as is the skill execution. It doesnt feel right.

Cant feel exited for character development (+10 damage to skill every other level) either, or the extremly streamlined zone design.
The world reminds me more of bioware's last games like mass effect or dragon age: closed spaces, and lots of tunnels. Not something i would have expected from an MMO.

I'm not really a star wars fan. I can appreciate the francise, but dont follow it closely. The only thing keeping me playing so far is the story. Didnt thing i would ever say that about a MMO.

Verdict so far: bioware should have made a few single player KOTOR sequels instead.

You can look at it in the sense that they made 8 KOTOR sequels - one for each class.

And you can play and solo each one of those to your hearts content.

But... you get the added bonus of MMO features on top of it - grouping and socializing if you so choose, raiding, competetive PvP, etc.

The more I play it, the more I think its damn brilliant and I honestly believe that this game will do what no other MMO before it has been able to do - give WoW some real competition.

I get it that not everyone likes Star Wars. I understand that there are actual breathing living human beings who have came along in the last 10-15 years and they hate Star Wars. Its almost unfathomable to me though because I grew up in an era where Star Wars was all over pop culture and everyone loved Star Wars - and I mean everyone loved it. Moms, grandmas, grandpas, little girls. Up until 10 years ago or so I don't think I ever met one person who said they didn't like Star Wars. But I do get that there are late teens and 20-somethings who may not like it because they had to grow up on those god awful prequels which had absolutely no cultural impact at all, and left a bad taste in pretty much everyone's mouths.

I think this game has a little something for everyone though, unless you are a Star Wars hater. Its got something for the person who doesn't like MMOs, but love single player RPGs. Its got that going for it. Its also got something for the online socialites as well.

Servers really really need to be expanded the wait is horrible, Paying for an MMO and having to wait to play it is going to get real old real fast.

If this was F2P i could understand but if this continues i cant see myself keeping a sub for long not matter how good the game is.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Servers really really need to be expanded the wait is horrible, Paying for an MMO and having to wait to play it is going to get real old real fast.

If this was F2P i could understand but if this continues i cant see myself keeping a sub for long not matter how good the game is.
the whole reason for the early access is for them to build up their servers. i wouldn't worry.

Moaradin

I hope they increase the server cap because the servers themselves seem to be very stable. No lag or disconnections at all this entire week.

kitzkozan

i dont feel the gameplay. Its very "by the numbers". Movement and fighting is kind of floaty, as is the skill execution. It doesnt feel right.

Cant feel exited for character development (+10 damage to skill every other level) either, or the extremly streamlined zone design.
The world reminds me more of bioware's last games like mass effect or dragon age: closed spaces, and lots of tunnels. Not something i would have expected from an MMO.

I'm not really a star wars fan. I can appreciate the francise, but dont follow it closely. The only thing keeping me playing so far is the story. Didnt thing i would ever say that about a MMO.

Verdict so far: bioware should have made a few single player KOTOR sequels instead.

My verdict: it's ten time better than Dragon 2 ever was or will be, so the death of Bioware isn't upon us quite yet. :p It seems like it's gonna be a popular game with well over a million+ subscribers so I'm curious to see if they screw up in the upcoming months which will be crucial.

Hixx

2hrs 15mins queue time shown. But in fact, its closer to 3hrs 30mins.... Sad times on Freedon Nadd EU

Couple of people saying it took 4 hours to get in. Anyway you look at it, that's unacceptable. They need to lock char creation on it. I would like to say 'before it's too late', but...

Stuart444

Fat Man(US)server is a 1 hour queue at 5 EST!!!!! :(

That's nothing, It's coming up for 10:30pm GMT and I've been in a queue for Freedom Nadd (EU server) since 6:30pm GMT I believe.

They need to sort this before a fresh wave of people who pick up the game on day 1 comes in. I don't know if they will sort it before then but if they don't, I don't even want to think of the queue times on that day :(

edit: also I am now at about 20 in the queue so I'll be in soon... but I probably won't be in for too long due to how long it took.

That's nothing, It's coming up for 10:30pm GMT and I've been in a queue for Freedom Nadd (EU server) since 6:30pm GMT I believe.

They need to sort this before a fresh wave of people who pick up the game on day 1 comes in. I don't know if they will sort it before then but if they don't, I don't even want to think of the queue times on that day :(

edit: also I am now at about 20 in the queue so I'll be in soon... but I probably won't be in for too long due to how long it took.

Id say make an alt on a less populated server but EVERY EU server is full or very close to it.

This is only early access, if on launch they dont have more servers in place millions wont be able to log in and thats going to cause some real problems.

Allard

Actually, I imagine day 1 will likely have LESS people on then now considering there is no grace period lol (That hasn't changed right?). There will be some that can't play when they could before just waiting for their product registration code to come in.

Moaradin

Actually, I imagine day 1 will likely have LESS people on then now considering there is no grace period lol (That hasn't changed right?). There will be some that can't play when they could before just waiting for their product registration code to come in.

They added a grace period.

Parham

Banned

They added a two day grace period yesterday.

Stuart444

Id say make an alt on a less populated server but EVERY EU server is full or very close to it.

This is only early access, if on launch they dont have more servers in place millions wont be able to log in and thats going to cause some real problems.

Yeah I thought about that earlier but looked at the server list and they all said full or heavy mostly.

In a way, I look forward to seeing launch day, just to see if they actually handled it well enough or if it is STILL like this.

We shall see...

I just hope Bioware and EA fix the queueing as quickly as SOE did for DCUO. That still took them a week after they went F2P and got hundreds of thousands of people joining but they managed to stabilize things.

God damn. They weren't kidding when they said this is WoW with a new skin.

It's the exact same game. Down to trainer and vendor positions in hub areas.

The OST and voice acting do go a long way, though.

Jezbollah

I just checked the CPU time on my PC: 4hrs 04 mins. Take away 10 minutes for getting around to firing up the launcher.

Yep. Not activating my main subscription until they sort this shit out.

For what it's worth, I picked a lower pop server for RL Guildage and have yet to encounter a line to log in.

I can only hope that no one else realizes that it is an actual server and decides to create characters there.

B-Dex

Still can't play cause of error code 7. Been in EA since the 13th too. My CE shipped out today. But won't be able to play :( Guess I got a nice statue? lol

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
For what it's worth, I picked a lower pop server for RL Guildage and have yet to encounter a line to log in.

I can only hope that no one else realizes that it is an actual server and decides to create characters there.
yeah i have had a 15m queue once and nothing else.

Jezbollah

The issue is the Gaf guilds.. I have no desire or motivation to create an alt elsewhere.

We could really do with moving the whole lot of us elsewhere..

Fonds

The issue is the Gaf guilds.. I have no desire or motivation to create an alt elsewhere.

I'm starting to agree... I've barely been able to get any time in because of all the queueing.

One disco and it's in the back of the line. It's crazy.

Akyan

It's a bit early to talk of moving I think... there's already been a few messages from the swtor community manager indicating they're working on it:

"We're monitoring that server closely; we've already raised its cap and will do again at some point."
https://twitter.com/#!/Rockjaw/status/147779664461574145

"We're aware, and we have plans."
https://twitter.com/#!/Rockjaw/status/147717862709133312

Kronotech

So I've got a "newbish" question. I'm actually a long time FFXI player but these games are obviously like Night/Day. I've always been slow at the WoW-style of clicking abilities. I can do it but I know that's not the quickest way to play especially for healers or tanks. I'm used to Macros (Alt+1, etc) and long cool down times with FFXI so constantly firing off abilities is tough to get used to. When I've seen a few video uploads of TOR, I notice people running around, twisting, and firing off abilities. How do you guys do both? Are you using the num keys for abilities? If so, I've got a lot of learnin' to do.

Follow up question, is there a tank or healer class that I could play that I could maybe succeed at while not necessarily being the best at run n gun? I'd hate to be the reason my team failed in the operations because of my clicking. Perhaps I should just stick with DPS so I'm not responsible for massive deaths.

Top Bottom