• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Ferrio

Banned
So I've got a "newbish" question. I'm actually a long time FFXI player but these games are obviously like Night/Day. I've always been slow at the WoW-style of clicking abilities. I can do it but I know that's not the quickest way to play especially for healers or tanks. I'm used to Macros (Alt+1, etc) and long cool down times with FFXI so constantly firing off abilities is tough to get used to. When I've seen a few video uploads of TOR, I notice people running around, twisting, and firing off abilities. How do you guys do both? Are you using the num keys for abilities? If so, I've got a lot of learnin' to do.

Follow up question, is there a tank or healer class that I could play that I could maybe succeed at while not necessarily being the best at run n gun? I'd hate to be the reason my team failed in the operations because of my clicking. Perhaps I should just stick with DPS so I'm not responsible for massive deaths.

Hot key your abilities to the keyboard. Mouse clicking and keyboard turning is a no no!

Hixx

So I've got a "newbish" question. I'm actually a long time FFXI player but these games are obviously like Night/Day. I've always been slow at the WoW-style of clicking abilities. I can do it but I know that's not the quickest way to play especially for healers or tanks. I'm used to Macros (Alt+1, etc) and long cool down times with FFXI so constantly firing off abilities is tough to get used to. When I've seen a few video uploads of TOR, I notice people running around, twisting, and firing off abilities. How do you guys do both? Are you using the num keys for abilities? If so, I've got a lot of learnin' to do.

Follow up question, is there a tank or healer class that I could play that I could maybe succeed at while not necessarily being the best at run n gun? I'd hate to be the reason my team failed in the operations because of my clicking. Perhaps I should just stick with DPS so I'm not responsible for massive deaths.

Mouse movement (hold both buttons in) is how people move and use abilities at the sametime.

Zafir

Dina

10 minutes on mine RP-PVP in Europe, but I'll just call it a night. Maybe get an early morning questing-spree going.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
I keep getting this message when I try to play, (and yes I did set set up a subscription)

"There is currently no active subscription on this account"

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

edit: I'm an idiot, didn't see customer service post

Hawk269

Still learning my Sith Inq....but was wondering when I get my first heal? I have not looked in depth at the talent tree, but I did not notice one until it is much further up the tree.

Thanks!

So I like IA but I hate how gun play is handled and prefer melee (funny because ranged has an advantage right now).

So I made a warrior and SI toon, not sure if I'm going to go shadow for my SI or not. I honestly didn't like Sorcerer for the little time I spent with it, all I did was shoot lighting....that got old so fast.

How's Madness DPS?

KorrZ

God damn this game is so huge, it's taking me forever to DL and install. I just want to play!!! I got my Early Access Email and I just want to play.

Main Assets 1 - 10.14 GB remaining

Soroc

I keep getting this message when I try to play, (and yes I did set set up a subscription)

"There is currently no active subscription on this account"

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

edit: I'm an idiot, didn't see customer service post

Link to customer service post?

At work and worried this may happen to me when I get home!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
UGH!

Come ON(!) UPS. I ****ng hate that my neighborhood is basically the very last place on their route - and I'm in the back of said neighborhood.

I buy something from Amazon at least a couple times a week, and while it's not usually a problem, it absolutely drives me mad on days like today.

I know if I put on my headphones, I'll miss it. So I'm on another computer (Mac) just browsing the internet for the last two hours waiting to see a truck pull up outside the window.

:-(

Finally got the game downloaded, been playing for about an hour - just like the beta, its just roping me in. As mentioned its nothing particularly unique but it feels like KOTOR to me basically. I'm on the Sith side, and playing on Kellers Void (The GAF east server I believe?) How can I get an invite to the guild?

Milly79

God damn this game is so huge, it's taking me forever to DL and install. I just want to play!!! I got my Early Access Email and I just want to play.

Main Assets 1 - 10.14 GB remaining

I'm installing assets 1. I'd assume I've got a feeling another 10gb file is coming up. :(

Damn. I canceled my pre-order after the beta ended, because I admit I didn't give it enough time and simply wrote it off as just another MMO. However, due to my early pre-order I was still allowed in the early access and have been playing quite a bit since I was sick this week.

In a lot of respects, it is "just another MMO", but I'm absolutely loving the Companion system, and since I've now progressed quite a bit further than I did in the beta, I kinda regret canceling the pre-order. lol
I'm on Keller's Void, and was avoiding guilds because I wasn't planning on playing past the early access, but if I do decide to stick with the game, I'll ask to join the GAF Empire.

Char name is Marcydarthy by the way

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
.... nearing 8:00pm; and my CE is still "on the truck for delivery." This is absurd. :-/

My friend wants me to play on Jung Ma, so made an empire character there. In Queue of 800 lmao.

Using a Republic on Kellers Void.

I tried messaging Villeon but it says user not found.

Also how do you check your email in SWTOR?

Daggith

Neo Member
Have the early access invites caught up to right now? Do you guys think if I were to pre-order now, I would get in right away?

sangreal

UGH!

Come ON(!) UPS. I ****ng hate that my neighborhood is basically the very last place on their route - and I'm in the back of said neighborhood.

I buy something from Amazon at least a couple times a week, and while it's not usually a problem, it absolutely drives me mad on days like today.

I know if I put on my headphones, I'll miss it. So I'm on another computer (Mac) just browsing the internet for the last two hours waiting to see a truck pull up outside the window.

:-(

It's holiday season so UPS deliveries can come much later in the day than usual. My daily amazon packages usually come around 1-2 but my CE didn't show up until 5 today

Since I'm in a queue of around 391, I've got a few minutes to think about what class I should go. I'm at 10 and about to head to the fleet. I had fully planned on being a sniper, but.. I'd imagine Operative is like the least played class in the game. It really seems like more healers are needed. But I'd kinda already run through my spec, checked out my tradeskill, all that jazz. So now I'm pretty torn.

Finally got the game downloaded, been playing for about an hour - just like the beta, its just roping me in. As mentioned its nothing particularly unique but it feels like KOTOR to me basically. I'm on the Sith side, and playing on Kellers Void (The GAF east server I believe?) How can I get an invite to the guild?

What's your toon's name so we can get someone to invite you?

Or you can message Sona, Verigan (on now), Somnia, dignus, or Villeon

gatti-man

Damn. I canceled my pre-order after the beta ended, because I admit I didn't give it enough time and simply wrote it off as just another MMO. However, due to my early pre-order I was still allowed in the early access and have been playing quite a bit since I was sick this week.

In a lot of respects, it is "just another MMO", but I'm absolutely loving the Companion system, and since I've now progressed quite a bit further than I did in the beta, I kinda regret canceling the pre-order. lol
I'm on Keller's Void, and was avoiding guilds because I wasn't planning on playing past the early access, but if I do decide to stick with the game, I'll ask to join the GAF Empire.

Char name is Marcydarthy by the way

Just buy it. Game gets better and better as you move foreward. I know its on rails and kinda cheesy but im loving the space combat. It reminds me of an arcade space shooter star wars style.

Alex

This game is so darn good as a coop title, doing bounty hunter and imperial agent as a shared experience has been a blast. Game does a pretty damn good job at returning proper group incentive to an mmo while still trying to bridge with a story centric sort of presentation.

Skel1ingt0n

*Finally!* Eight years was long enough; but the extra hours were killing me, UPS. I know it's holiday time; but my packages never arrive before 6pm, and so I'm just sitting here waiting (I don't trust my neighbors). Anyhoo, I lived ;p

6523616729_5174c11b32_z.jpg

6523619365_59ab95eda6_z.jpg

6523622191_353d4a054c_z.jpg

6523627009_55b5c5517b_z.jpg

6523624533_3fa5ef8b66_z.jpg

Not a bad CE at all. Hoping the in-game items turn out decent.

Patryn

Started as a Smuggler on Corsair, but wasn't really feeling the class.

Checked this thread, and I'm now a Trooper on Keller's Void (I refuse to play a Jedi for whatever reason) and it's ok. I do miss the cover ability from the smuggler, though.

Char name is Corlis, if anyone wants to say hi (someone already stole Patryn).

Meier

35 minute wait to get on Canderous Ordo..my buddies are on it or I'd make a dude elsewhere. This is heinous.

While I'm waiting, I'm shocked there are only 4 classes. Is there a pet class in this game? I really haven't followed it...

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
This game has sucked up all my time. Enjoying Guardian over Gunslinger, the cover thing wasn't really doing it for me. Just got my space ship, really suck at the space combat. I need more missles!

Alex

While I'm waiting, I'm shocked there are only 4 classes. Is there a pet class in this game? I really haven't followed it...

Four base classes, each split into two more advanced classes. I think Smuggler/Agent have an advanced class that works as a pet-ish type class with droids and stuff? Unsure.

And yeah, everyone has companions

spk

Messing with ini files gives good results. At 2560 im wishing for higher res textures but it still looks great all things considered.

So no change from beta? Visuals/tweakwise ?

found this quote. That's disappointing

Lets face it, SWTOR is not a looker, and until BioWare deems us videophiles worthy we will not have hi-res textures.

Currently, there is no difference between medium and high textures but there are a few ways to force the game to look better. Why BioWare decided a 2011 game should look worse than a 2007 game IDK but these tweaks will help you out.

To reach the ini go to c:users/*user*/appdata/local/swtor to find the .ini file (be sure to make a backup just in case)

The most important changes

AntiAliasingLevel = 2
enableadvenvirolighting = true
DebugAdvEnviroLighting = true

Here is a list of a mostly maxed SWTOR

Height = 1080
Width = 1920
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
DynamicLightsLimit = 2
MeshLODQuality = 1
TextureAnisotropy = 16
FarClipScale = 3.9371195
PlantDensity = 150
D3DFullScreen = true
NativeHeight = 1080
NativeWidth = 1920
doShadows = true
doBlobShadows = true
UseMinSpecShaders = false
EnableBloom = true
VerticalSyncState = true
FullScreen = true
TextureQuality = 0
AllowDepthOfField = true
GammaRamp = 1.037854
SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25
AntiAliasingLevel = 2
enableadvenvirolighting = true
DebugAdvEnviroLighting = true

Why these options (and hi-res textures) are not in at launch is baffling. It seems that even 100 million dollars in development money isn't enough to match LotRO graphics...That game must have been made on a 300 million dollar budget.

spk

I assume you can just update the beta client and start playing right? No need to download 20 gb all over again

bounchfx

kinda figured they would have this Queue shit figured out. really disappointed with some of the wait times right now. :\

the game isn't even out yet!

Top Bottom