• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Below is a list of valid Star Wars: The Old Republic codes that have been redeemed under this account.
12.16.2011 Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Early Game Access: Ready to play
12.12.2011 Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Early Game Access: Ready to patch
12.12.2011 Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Digital Standard Edition Pre-Order

And that's all I've got. Surely Origin will soon send the normal-ass key to me - I just checked my bank acct and Origin has not yet charged me for TOR - so that's got to be what I'm waiting on. Goddamn Origin.

Ok well this is a good thing, this is what I have and I've been in for 3 days. Your account is properly configured for early access. So whats going on with the game client?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ok well this is a good thing, this is what I have and I've been in for 3 days. Your account is properly configured for early access. So whats going on with the game client?

Installer for client runs, extracts, and then nothin' - I've messed with my firewall and more, running as administrator, lots of different things with no dice. So this will be what I work on all afternoon :)

Installer for client runs, extracts, and then nothin' - I've messed with my firewall and more, running as administrator, lots of different things with no dice. So this will be what I work on all afternoon :)

There is a "repair install" option under settings, did you try that?

Edit: Or does it not even open?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There is a "repair install" option under settings, did you try that?

Edit: Or does it not even open?

Doesn't even open. I've dug the setup files out of the temp directory as well and nothing happens. I'm still researching to see why. Wah ;( But thanks guys, so far :)

Does it just crash? Do you happen to have RadeonPro or D3Doverrider running in the back ground? I had to close both to get the installer to run.

ksimm

This queue is epic. 1976 to start and have been waiting for an hour and a half, and still 900+ to go. When I finally get into the game I'm going to log off in protest, that'll show em!

Azzurri

I'm surprised that this game actually feels like a KOTOR game. I was expecting another run-of-the-mill MMO that was desperately trying to play like KOTOR but the story lines and NPCs have been interesting. For the first time ever, I'm actually invested in an MMO story.

This is why I'm still playing it, my attention span for MMO's lately have been about a day or two before I stop playing.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Got my launcher running. No real explanation to why, but I had to pretty much manually extract everything since the swtor_setup.exe wasn't extracting everything properly. Yeesh. But now I'm a-patchin and it looks like I'll have my balls on for tonight!

Thanks to everyone in this thread, you guys are all treats and wonderful things for the help :)

Got my launcher running. No real explanation to why, but I had to pretty much manually extract everything since the swtor_setup.exe wasn't extracting everything properly. Yeesh. But now I'm a-patchin and it looks like I'll have my balls on for tonight!

Thanks to everyone in this thread, you guys are all treats and wonderful things for the help :)

If you are running the launcher from your Temp folder, it may not work. I believe the initial installer does more than simply extract the files into the temp directory. I'd give the full installer another shot with every unneeded background application closed.

MGHA

Ok here is what I have

code.jpg

codes2.jpg

I entered the pre order code but I still cant download the game, and the game hasn't shown up in my origin games tab.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ok here is what I have
I entered the pre order code but I still cant download the game, and the game hasn't shown up in my origin games tab.

Check what I just went through last page - if you preordered with Origin, on the swtor.com forums, go to My Account, then Pre-Order and download the installer for the launcher. If the installer runs and then nothing happens, go into the username\appdata\temp\installswtor directory and manually extract the launcher and run it and you should be good.

It's an MMO we're all in this together. Glad you got it going.

cackhyena

I don't play MMOs, so I know little here. If I were to go out and buy this in disc form, would I have minimal amounts to DL? I have a slower connection and I'm sure whatever the DD size of this is, it's too big for my comforts.

MGHA

Check what I just went through last page - if you preordered with Origin, on the swtor.com forums, go to My Account, then Pre-Order and download the installer for the launcher. If the installer runs and then nothing happens, go into the username\appdata\temp\installswtor directory and manually extract the launcher and run it and you should be good.

Ok i got the launcher up but now its asking for my Library card number LOL. Whatever that is. Looks like im stuck for now.

MGHA

The security key? That should be optional.

Its some kind of security question. I have no idea what I put, never even had a library card. It cant be any other question on my account, no. It has to be this one.

EDIT
Is there a way to force a different question?

border

You guys should have joined the NeoGAF server -- I haven't spent more than 1 minute in a queue, and apparently both Goon Squad and Alea Iacta Est are on this server, if General Chat chatter is to be believed.

Where is the special VIP area for people that got the Collector's Edition (Empire side)? I wanna see if it's worth the extra $70 for all this junk...

FStop7

Banned
I got my invite at 10 this morning.

Getting off work early at around 4.

Unfortunately, I had a "transmission malfunction" come up on my car on the way to work so god knows how long I'm going to be dealing with that.

I guess the good news is at least I'll have something to keep me occupied even if I have no car over the weekend.

oktarb

Leveling seems a little lop sided. Could just be a perspective thing but it seemed to take me 6 or so hours to get my Bounty Hunter to lvl 11 while I got a Sith Warrior up to 11 in like 3 hours. Plus the Sith Warrior have twice as many dark/light side points and way more companion points.

You guys should have joined the NeoGAF server -- I haven't spent more than 1 minute in a queue, and apparently both Goon Squad and Alea Iacta Est are on this server, if General Chat chatter is to be believed.

Where is the special VIP area for people that got the Collector's Edition (Empire side)? I wanna see if it's worth the extra $70 for all this junk...

Who are these people, I've seen a couple rocking that guild on KV.

I don't play MMOs, so I know little here. If I were to go out and buy this in disc form, would I have minimal amounts to DL? I have a slower connection and I'm sure whatever the DD size of this is, it's too big for my comforts.
It'll be a significant amount, because the discs were made long ago, but the game is ~20GB so even a multi-GB patch would be faster if you first install from discs.

AzureSky

i dont feel the gameplay. Its very "by the numbers". Movement and fighting is kind of floaty, as is the skill execution. It doesnt feel right.

Cant feel exited for character development (+10 damage to skill every other level) either, or the extremly streamlined zone design.
The world reminds me more of bioware's last games like mass effect or dragon age: closed spaces, and lots of tunnels. Not something i would have expected from an MMO.

I'm not really a star wars fan. I can appreciate the francise, but dont follow it closely. The only thing keeping me playing so far is the story. Didnt thing i would ever say that about a MMO.

Verdict so far: bioware should have made a few single player KOTOR sequels instead.

Got my origins code and set up my subscription. Hopefully no issues for me on launch day. Went with the 3 month reccuring subscription, seemed like the best deal, who knows how long I'll actually play for.

Allard

i dont feel the gameplay. Its very "by the numbers". Movement and fighting is kind of floaty, as is the skill execution. It doesnt feel right.

Cant feel exited for character development (+10 damage to skill every other level) either, or the extremly streamlined zone design.
The world reminds me more of bioware's last games like mass effect or dragon age: closed spaces, and lots of tunnels. Not something i would have expected from an MMO.

I'm not really a star wars fan. I can appreciate the francise, but dont follow it closely. The only thing keeping me playing so far is the story. Didnt thing i would ever say that about a MMO.

Verdict so far: bioware should have made a few single player KOTOR sequels instead.

The worlds open up and get larger as you go on. Taris for instance is very open compared to Coruscant, and Tatooine is just huge. The environments also vary depending on the planet you are on, the problem is they planets you start are the capital city which really is just a bunch of corridors and buildings, instead of making it a maze, they streamlined it, and 'starter' tutorial worlds which are smaller because nothing much happens there after you leave them. Furthermore the starter planets are faction only places so they can get away with tight corridors as a world setting, but once you get off those worlds PvP comes into play (If you are on a PVP server) so they made those worlds a lot more open compared to the starter worlds.

oktarb

I feel you on the progression aspect. The skill trees are a major snooze fest. I hope they change. Most MMOs go through a series of changes on the skill trees so I expect the same here but not for awhile.

The main draw is the story and universe.

It basically is KOTOR but you have the option to group and chat. Ever notice ow easy it is to turn chat off. There's a reason for that. You can play the entire game solo and in your story if you want.

weeskwee

Banned
Retail ce came in today. Geeked out then hid the evidence from my gf. Cant wait to see my droid.

Got my CE from Amazon. Applied my serial and logged in. The droid IMO is fairly weak. It doesnt look like the classic Mouse Droid design, or the one i see rolling around in certain areas of the game. It's a new style mouse droid. I'm bummed. I feel bad for people that really wanted the CE for that, because it's not worth the hype. In the end i think the lvl 25 vehicle will be the highlight of the ingame items, and perhaps the VIP Lounge if the vendors in there have cool stuff.

Neverfade

A few things really bug me about the CE. First, those shitty stickers that hold the cover on that rip up the top when you take them off. Looks shitty. The map is fucking garbage. Paper? And instead of the "known galaxy" is should read "playable galaxy". This thing will be out of date by the first expansion.

Regardless, the sweet steelbook case and in game items still make it worth it for me personally. And the journal, while not something I'm super interested in, is well made.

zlatko

Banned
Anyone here able to link me to some early, mid, and endgame looking content for an assassin route? I won't be able to play the beta, so I was curious to see how the game and that class shapes up over time.

I played a Warrior in WoW mostly, and a Samurai as well as Monk in Final Fantasy XI. I'd like to go a hand to hand class route here, but it doesn't seem they have that, so I'm fine with more of a warrior easy peesy to play DPS that looks bad ass at higher levels.

Thanks if anyone links me a few vids. I'm really curious about this game and will probably buy it in January if I like what I see. :)

No one? :(

Soroc

YESS!!

Preordered last night. Got my early access email today and my product serial on Origin.

Can't wait to get home tonight :)

Top Bottom