• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I assume you can just update the beta client and start playing right? No need to download 20 gb all over again
if it is the beta client from november 20th or whatever, the last beta weekend.

HBroward

Just got disconnected from the Keller's Void server and am now 280 in a queue. Only 20 minutes estimate at least, 1 server is at 1hr 50min!

I assume you can just update the beta client and start playing right? No need to download 20 gb all over again

Yea its couple hundred mb patch i believe. Doesn't take too long.

But yea, for anyone just starting, pick slicing as one of your crew skills and continue to make your companions find lockboxes, they start paying for themselves very quickly. I'm 150+ in the skill already and its only been a day, averaging 2k a box now. Definitely makes saving up for your speeder at lvl 25 easier

Filth

I've been in the game since day one and havnt had 1 que yet. I can't tell you the name of the server because I don't ever want there to be a que!!!

Here's my question though. Just got my ce today but I didn't get a chance to see the ce special vendor. Could someone describe what he sells in details and around what cost for the items. I'm bored at my g/f's house curious :/

HBroward

I've been in the game since day one and havnt had 1 que yet. I can't tell you the name of the server because I don't ever want there to be a que!!!

Here's my question though. Just got my ce today but I didn't get a chance to see the ce special vendor. Could someone describe what he sells in details and around what cost for the items. I'm bored at my g/f's house curious :/

http://imgur.com/a/w2Bzk

124 in the queue now, Trevin is coming back, no server disconnects can hold me down! For long at least :)

Windu

$40,000 to train the skill, cheapest speeder is 8,000 I believe. Level 25 for speeder training 1, don't know about the others.
ah ok. lvl 23 right now. guess i should start saving. 48k shouldn't be too hard to get to.

Filth

how much do mounts/vehicles cost in this game and at what lvl can we get them?

Level 25. 40,000 for the skill. 8,000 for the first mount. Ce has a free mount but you still need to pay 40,000 for the skill

Edit: fucking beat

Cystm

These server capacities are disappointing.

OagzY.jpg

Hawk269

kinda figured they would have this Queue shit figured out. really disappointed with some of the wait times right now. :\

the game isn't even out yet!

They have added servers and I know that they will add more, but I dont think they are going to go too crazy until after the 22nd. Main reason is that many people pre-ordered and many people are playing, but how many of them did a pre-order and then cancelled just to play the game as part of early access?

I really think that there is alot of people that did this and with BioWare giving a 2 day grace period, I think they will wait to do more drastic measures like locking servers etc until aftre the 22nd. I know of alot of people that did not get into beta and this is how they get to try out the game. For some, they will keep the pre-order for others they may have already refunded or will do so if they dont like the game.

After the 22nd, will give BioWare some more accurate number of users playing, since after the 22nd they get locked out until they enter a code that came for purchasing the game. The next milestone will be beyond the 30 days to see how many people plan to stick around. People asking for server transfers, guild transfers will be waiting for a bit since it may not be necessary one pop caps level out.

Just my 2 cents on the matter.

Hawk269

These server capacities are disappointing.

OagzY.jpg

I dont think they have ever mentioned the capacities of the servers. I know I read that they upped the pop cap on one of the european servers, but I dont think they ever mentioned anything about the number of people they could have.

TheExodu5

Banned
Sigh, still not sure if my Bounty Hunter should be Powertech or Mercenary...

Anyone know which one is more fun?

Was not impressed by what I played of Powertech (though I haven't tried Mercenary). The trees were an incoherent mess, with no proper skill/build direction in any of them. There are too many redundant skills as well.

That being said, Powertech does offer you the ability to tank.

Alex

I still think the game looks quite nice, in the end it's still an MMO though, it's not going to look like Witcher 2, I'm running the swath of ini edits though. Bioware always has the same weakness though with stray low-res textures.

Was not impressed by what I played of Powertech (though I haven't tried Mercenary). The trees were an incoherent mess, with no proper skill/build direction in any of them. There are too many redundant skills as well.

That being said, Powertech does offer you the ability to tank.

I hate classical styled talent trees, my one big complaint with this game, people can argue it until theyre blue in the face but the one major think I think modern WoW is doing right going forward is eliminating them. (they just need more than one choice every fifteen darn levels)

I'm going power tech though with a friends operative. Should be fun.

As for character queues, I still think it's stupid that characters are placed so freely into a list at the start. Players should be auto assigned to balance load unless they choose to hit the general list first. Honestly, that's less control than I'd even like, I (sort of) liked that FFXI did back in the day by balancing the load with world passes but people would moan over that to no end regardless of the major boon it is for stability and load.

Cystm

I dont think they have ever mentioned the capacities of the servers. I know I read that they upped the pop cap on one of the european servers, but I dont think they ever mentioned anything about the number of people they could have.

Having mentioned them or not, queue times are over an hour in some cases. It's Kil'Jaeden all over again. :/ I understand that they are working on it though, I was hoping (foolishly) they would have foreseen this problem and would be on top of their shit, so that queue times would be acceptable.

But like you said, we'll just have to see how things turn out after launch.

Free character xfers inc?

Thinking about going over to Keller's Voice to get into the GAF guild on that server.
I liked the sith inquisitor but Im not liking the advanced classes options for those guys.

Milly79

Just waiting in the queue on Keller's. Can't wait to see if my Mac can handle this decently. I'll be joining the Empire if it does!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
***Help me, please!***

Alright, I'm a level 17 Jedi Knight Sentinel. I noticed last night about half way through the "Republics most wanted" that I wasn't getting any experience for kills. I logged off, and logged back in today early in the afternoon. I still wasn't getting any exp - not even for the "main" bad guys in that quest. I turn the quest in.... and I get FIVE measly experience points.

So I follow the story quests, and am told to go to Ord Mantell.... and now I'm not getting any exp here. Granted, these seem like low level guys - even though they're red outlined - so maybe you don't get exp for low level kills? Which would be understandable...

... but then why wasn't I getting exp for that Most Wanted quest earlier? Surely, at lvl 16/17, I wasn't too high for it; especially since I did it by myself.

Suggestions? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Wallach

Sigh, still not sure if my Bounty Hunter should be Powertech or Mercenary...

Anyone know which one is more fun?

Mercenary is a healer/DPS AC that basically wants to be at medium to long range at all times. Powertech is a tank/AC that is more of a melee AC that isn't very comfortable at anything beyond medium range. Mercenary is not particularly mobile when healing or DPSing, whereas Powertech is quite mobile out of necessity.

Have to say, after my first 5-6 hours of playing, this game is great. The fully voiced questing really adds so much to the genre. And the fact that you have choice in the conversations makes you feel more involved then just scrolling to the bottom of a window so you can click accept. It really feels like you're shaping your own destiny. Something that is missing from pretty much every other MMO. You don't feel like a cog in a machine, you feel like THE hero or THE villain of this universe.

The combat feels really meaty, all your hits have weight, those lightsaber sounds are terriffic and it's even better when you're going saber on saber(lol), it feels like real combat as opposed to just an auto attack animation. I really think this is the next big mmo, I don't know if it could ever dethrone WoW, but this absolutely will not die/lose significant steam any time soon, and may very well give WoW a run for its money.

Sith Marauder and it feels so good. So glad the first companion is a lady Twi'lek. I likes that. :3

Windu

***Help me, please!***

Alright, I'm a level 17 Jedi Knight Sentinel. I noticed last night about half way through the "Republics most wanted" that I wasn't getting any experience for kills. I logged off, and logged back in today early in the afternoon. I still wasn't getting any exp - not even for the "main" bad guys in that quest. I turn the quest in.... and I get FIVE measly experience points.

So I follow the story quests, and am told to go to Ord Mantell.... and now I'm not getting any exp here. Granted, these seem like low level guys - even though they're red outlined - so maybe you don't get exp for low level kills? Which would be understandable...

... but then why wasn't I getting exp for that Most Wanted quest earlier? Surely, at lvl 16/17, I wasn't too high for it; especially since I did it by myself.

Suggestions? Am I missing something?

Thanks!
i don't remember what lvl the republic most wanted is, but was the quest grey? if so then there is your problem.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
i don't remember what lvl the republic most wanted is, but was the quest grey? if so then there is your problem.

Someone on guild chat asked me that, and it was showing up as green on my codex...

Top Bottom