• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Sykra

I've been trying to stay Neutral, for when/if they ever add Grey Jedi gear. Luckily I've had enough decent choices during quests to make this possible so far without having to skip quests or being indifferent throughout all of them.

I believe they want to add neutral gear soon, i remember reading it in an interview few weeks back.

Lord Phol

The timer is actually completely wrong, when i joined the queue it said one hour and well 3 hours later im 80th in queue, so i wonder how long it will take for those that join the queue now.. just awful.

Yeah, add at least 1-2hours if you want a more accurate estimate.
Sitting in queue for 3 hours as well, I'm the 47th in queue now though, but I don't really have that same urge to play that I had this morning when I woke up.

Darkone

any where i can order the digital version and still get the early access key?

i can`t get this from Origin do to the area restriction.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Okay, so I caved and bought this with a friend. Having a good time so far. Feels smooth and kinetic, which is one of the main things I hoped for. I'm an inquisitor advancing in sorcery, and I'm a bit worried on where to put my points. I'm mainly a PvPer, but I have no qualms healing (I find it pretty fun in pvp and pve) but I'm worried that if I start specing into healing so quickly, I'll be hurting my leveling experience.

Any plans on multiple spec options? Or is there one already?

CoolS

Man, my internet just disconnected for 5 seconds just as I was in the middle of an Hero quest with a friend.

Now I have to wait ~35 minutes because there's 500 people waiting :/

Pat

Imperial Agents, how do you have your bars setup?

Being a Sniper:

On the first bottom bar: melee attacks;
On the second bottom bar: skills I can use either in cover or not;
On the "popup" cover bar: skills I can use only when I'm in cover.

I put my passive skills or everything else on the right bar.

Is there a reason why it takes a few minutes to go from starting the launcher to the game actually launching? The launcher seems really laggy and poorly optimized.

Also can you force aa/af on nvidia cards?

Hixx

Is there a reason why it takes a few minutes to go from starting the launcher to the game actually launching? The launcher seems really laggy and poorly optimized.

Launcher is fine and very, very quick for me.

To force AA you need to go into C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings, open client settings.ini and add "AntiAliasingLevel = 2" under the [Game] section. Can be 2, 4 or 8. On my 560ti it drops the frame rate to 37 whether I use 2, 4 or 8 though.

bill0527

Something is up with your install, Internet connection, or firewall if it's taking minutes to go from the launcher to the game. It only takes seconds on my setup.

You can force AA on nVidia cards. I think its in the op, if not you can google it and it should come up.

MGHA

Well I bought a subscription but it still says there is no active subscription on my account when I log in with the launcher. Having a hell of a time getting this going.

Launcher is fine and very, very quick for me.

To force AA you need to go into C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings, open client settings.ini and add "AntiAliasingLevel = 2" under the [Game] section. Can be 2, 4 or 8. On my 560ti it drops the frame rate to 37 whether I use 2, 4 or 8 though.

Thanks. I wonder what could be wrong with the launcher on my system. Hm.

Stuart444

Ok, so I launched SWTOR a few mins ago, saw I was 2100+ in queue or something like that (tomb of freedom nadd) and then turned it off. Last time that happened, I waited 4 hours in queue... I'll just play late tonight when people start logging off.

Adding new servers is fine but it doesn't help when 1) there is no server transfers (I certainly don't want to restart my character on another server, if I was going to do that, I'd make a new character) or guild transfers (the latter since a lot of people may not want to move due to having their guild there) and 2) a lot of new people will go straight to the heavy/full servers as they feel more people = more fun and while that may be true, it doesn't help queues and it will only get worse on launch day which is in 3 days.

If Biowares solution is to add more servers, it certainly won't help current queues since some may just make a new character on another server but a lot of people will not want to restart the character they are playing on another server.

We'll see though...

taranatar

God damn Tomb of Freedon Nadd I'm 2321 in queue fantastic!!

But anyways dont forget to join GAF Empire on above server guys :) we are growing but slowly.

Akyan

God damn Tomb of Freedon Nadd I'm 2321 in queue fantastic!!

But anyways dont forget to join GAF Empire on above server guys :) we are growing but slowly.

Bring on the launch day... I saw a post saying they were going to increase the caps after the full launch. :)

Stuart444

Bring on the launch day... I saw a post saying they were going to increase the caps after the full launch. :)

They also said they increased the caps on certain servers like Freedom Nadd already... unless they increase it by well over 2000... the queues won't get any better.

Im having a hard time dropping quests and moving on to more appropriate areas in this game. Im on Taris still, and im level 21, I should just beeline the story quests and move on to Nar Shaddaa, but I want to see the quests, haha.

taranatar

Im having a hard time dropping quests and moving on to more appropriate areas in this game. Im on Taris still, and im level 21, I should just beeline the story quests and move on to Nar Shaddaa, but I want to see the quests, haha.

I'm feeling that way about Balmorra, currently 21 as well. Might just get on with the class quest and move on. I'm sure ill finish up on another character at some point!

I'm feeling that way about Balmorra, currently 21 as well. Might just get on with the class quest and move on. I'm sure ill finish up on another character at some point!

Yeah, thats what im thinking too. I want to level a few of the classes, I might as well leave some quests for the next time through!

Dina

Man, you need a lot of buttons. I'm counting 21 skills and that's with dropping some good ones. I'm already slumped as I don't like ctrl, shift or alt-binding.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Man, you need a lot of buttons. I'm counting 21 skills and that's with dropping some good ones. I'm already slumped as I don't like ctrl, shift or alt-binding.
you can turn on side bars in the options

Azzurri

That's my problem too, I think they give you way to many skills, and I'm only lvl 20.

So was picking Sith Inquisitor a bad idea? Just got off Korriban last night; I haven't seen too many people mention that class. I thought the Sith Assassin path sounded like my probable route, though the Sorcerer seemed reasonable too. Hope I didn't pick a dud!

I can't wait to get home and play. It's going to be tough as I have to study for my last final...

Got my Sith Inq to 11. Love the class but I might recreate my char. Being a fatty was humorous at first but it kinda looks dumb while in combat. Oh well!

Got my Sith Inq to 11. Love the class but I might recreate my char. Being a fatty was humorous at first but it kinda looks dumb while in combat. Oh well!

I almost Went with a large model. Really glad I didn't, I love the look of my guy. Cool slave branding, pale skin, dreadlocks (cliché for a white guy, I know, but other long hair options were lame) and average build. I love the class but starting to wonder...

Oh well, my alt will be a different class.

So was picking Sith Inquisitor a bad idea? Just got off Korriban last night; I haven't seen too many people mention that class. I thought the Sith Assassin path sounded like my probable route, though the Sorcerer seemed reasonable too. Hope I didn't pick a dud!

I can't wait to get home and play. It's going to be tough as I have to study for my last final...

Definitely a good decision. I really enjoyed the sith inquisitor storyline during the beta and got my sorc up to 20. Its actually the most played class at the moment, everyone loves lightning lol. Lightning is amazing and playing my merc now, I really missed all the different CCs that the Sorc had. Though I feel that leveling my mercenary is way easier than the sorcerer. Maybe its because I can equip heavy armor and have a healing companion. I remember my tank companion dying alot when i was a sorc but I dont think any class beats them in utility

So I've gotten my Merc up to 25, got the speeder and decided to make an alt Sith Warrior. Now its sitting at lvl 11 and I can't decide which path to take. What are your opinions about Juggernaut vs. Maurader?

I also really like that each class seems to have their own mechanic: heat, force pool, rage and what IAs/Smugs use. Makes them play very differently. I have a feeling that by the end of the weekend, I'll have 1 of each up to 20 lol

Won

Still like my body type #4 Smuggler, even if he looks a bit silly/dumb/messy with the stuff you get on Nar Shadaa.
I need a nice coat already.

Definitely a good decision. I really enjoyed the sith inquisitor storyline during the beta and got my sorc up to 20. Its actually the most played class at the moment, everyone loves lightning lol. Lightning is amazing and playing my merc now, I really missed all the different CCs that the Sorc had. Though I feel that leveling my mercenary is way easier than the sorcerer. Maybe its because I can equip heavy armor and have a healing companion. I remember my tank companion dying alot when i was a sorc but I dont think any class beats them in utility

So I've gotten my Merc up to 25, got the speeder and decided to make an alt Sith Warrior. Now its sitting at lvl 11 and I can't decide which path to take. What are your opinions about Juggernaut vs. Maurader?

I also really like that each class seems to have their own mechanic: heat, force pool, rage and what IAs/Smugs use. Makes them play very differently. I have a feeling that by the end of the weekend, I'll have 1 of each up to 20 lol

Hmm, that curbs my worry quite a bit, thanks! Now I'm excited to progress more, and even consider Sorcerer more equally to Assassin. I just love using the lightsaber, so satisfying.

Filth

Well I bought a subscription but it still says there is no active subscription on my account when I log in with the launcher. Having a hell of a time getting this going.

The game comes out the 20th. Unless you have an early access code you can't play right now.

its exactly like WoW.

I've been fiending for a MMO. I tried Conan, WAR, Rift... and just couldn't get into all of those. I'm hoping just having a different style of world is going to make me want to stick with TOR. Like I said, if I don't like it... oh well.

bill0527

This game is horrible to close down, always seem to hang or take forever to get back to desktop.

Several of you guys seem to be having problems taking forever to log in and log out. I don't think its the game. I think its something on your end. I made a video of me logging in and logging out a little while ago and its pretty damn quick on both ends.

For reference, I'm using:
i5 2500k @ stock speed
8GB RAM
Geforce 560ti 1GB
15mbps down/1mbps up Cable internet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJiQPGHwkY8&feature=youtu.be

Hixx

Several of you guys seem to be having problems taking forever to log in and log out. I don't think its the game. I think its something on your end. I made a video of me logging in and logging out a little while ago and its pretty damn quick on both ends.

For reference, I'm using:
i5 2500k @ stock speed
8GB RAM
Geforce 560ti 1GB
15mbps down/1mbps up Cable internet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJiQPGHwkY8&feature=youtu.be

fine for me too, same pc just half the RAM

Only thing I would say is that my hard drive goes into overdrive when I exit the game for some reason, no real performance impact but it's loud as shit.

Also, 15 minutes away from a 5 hour queue that is being advertised as 2hr 15mins.

Hmm, that curbs my worry quite a bit, thanks! Now I'm excited to progress more, and even consider Sorcerer more equally to Assassin. I just love using the lightsaber, so satisfying.

As a Sorc you tend to try to stay as far away from enemies as possible, you also don't have many saber skills. I felt like the saber was there just for stats. Being able to heal is a nice perk too. If you wanted a more melee heavy class, Assassin would be the way to go. I think they have less utility but can tank and use stealth. I think people were comparing the assassin to rogues in Wow

Top Bottom