• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

KorrZ

Level 12 Sith Assassin. This game is awesome. They really accomplished their goals of making the combat feel "heroic" even though it's still just the standard hotkey based MMO combat they still make it really satisfying, fun and incredibly responsive. I was really surprised at the quality of the quest lines too, I mean objective wise they are kind of generic MMO-y with some standouts, but the dialogue scenes and story itself are pretty amazing. Sith Inquisitor starting area had me smriknig with an evil grin on my face the entire time.

How big is the game download?

20+ GB

border

At what point can you start tanking as an Assassin/Shadow? I'm at level 15 or so but only have a couple abilities that look remotely related to tanking.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
This is why I stopped buying AMD

Must have been that or something else that I did, I made my main/bigger system managed page file on my 2nd 1TB HDD and 300 mb for the main OS drive.. Dunno if that has anything to do with it but those were my recent changes.

I'm sitting in an 800 person queue at the moment on Fatman.

Just seen a community post on the official forums:

The following is a brief statement from Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer, Live Services:

"We know there have been questions about the queues on the servers, so we wanted to take a moment to give you some insight.

In order to ensure that the service would be smooth and stable, we staged how we brought people into the Early Game Access program, adding people in waves. As you know, there are a lot of folks who want to play the game right now and we want to make sure they have lots of people to play with. Balancing this with figuring out when to bring new servers online to help alleviate the size of the queues is part art and part science. On one hand, you do not want people to wait too long – on the other hand, you want to make sure that people have a dynamic, engaging community to play with for long after launch. Either way, we have one clear objective – to make sure folks have fun.

While we can’t promise that there won’t ever be queues, we can promise you that we are taking this matter seriously and constantly reviewing them to make sure that they are manageable and reasonable."

... 6 hour queues don't seem very fun!

Anybody having screen tearing issues? The game runs butter smooth but when I turn the camera I get bad screen tearing. I have vertical sync turned on. Any suggestions?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Anybody having screen tearing issues? The game runs butter smooth but when I turn the camera I get bad screen tearing. I have vertical sync turned on. Any suggestions?

Can't think of anything other than is the game in windowed mode? Is the screen refresh set the same as the monitors actual refresh rate?

putarorex

I played this for most of the day yesterday. I can't say for sure, but I could see myself playing several characters up to the end game. The imperial agent story was quite good for the prologue at least. I love the voice acting.

I ran across some storage boxes a couple times. Are those like the chests in WoW where the loot depends on how long it has been since someone last opened it? One of very few advantages of playing from Japan is that I could occasionally get some good loot from those, since most people have been asleep for while when I logged in at 8:00 pm here (early morning on the west coast).

I'd understand if these queues were during peak times, but they started 11am in the EU. Server pops don't seem to be that high when you actually get into the game, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Get 100-150 in 1 'world'.

Can't they increase server pops, or am I missing something obvious?

CoolS

Nope, it's full screen. The refresh is set the same as my monitor. I've never had this issue with pretty much ANY game.

Vsync didn't work for me when I activated it in the game. I had to force it through the .ini

Also check you FPS ingame with Ctrl+Shift+f to see if the fps go higher than your refresh rate to see if it's actually working.

TheYanger

What I find most humorous was how they didn't realize that the tiered entry only makes queues worse. In most games a group of friends has a server in mind, they try to get in, OH NO 8 hour queue! and they pick another server. This time? If your friend got in on day 1 he has no queues, is probably level 30 or something with tons of time invested, and has NO desire to reroll. Guilds being automatically assigned servers (A move that I don't understand why it was remotely necessary, server coordination pre-launch has never been a difficult thing in any game) etc. The servers released the first day or two are PACKED and that's not going to change because there's simply too much invested into those servers by people who preordered. Going to a late-added server is like the death sentence for 6 months from now when the playtimes have evened out and queues are gone.

Playing on a weak server at launch tends to leave you on a dead server once the rush is gone. playing on a OMGFULL server leaves you on a healthy and satisfying one six months from now.

gatti-man

What I find most humorous was how they didn't realize that the tiered entry only makes queues worse. In most games a group of friends has a server in mind, they try to get in, OH NO 8 hour queue! and they pick another server. This time? If your friend got in on day 1 he has no queues, is probably level 30 or something with tons of time invested, and has NO desire to reroll. Guilds being automatically assigned servers (A move that I don't understand why it was remotely necessary, server coordination pre-launch has never been a difficult thing in any game) etc. The servers released the first day or two are PACKED and that's not going to change because there's simply too much invested into those servers by people who preordered. Going to a late-added server is like the death sentence for 6 months from now when the playtimes have evened out and queues are gone.

Playing on a weak server at launch tends to leave you on a dead server once the rush is gone. playing on a OMGFULL server leaves you on a healthy and satisfying one six months from now.

Even the slow servers right now will be experiencing queues at launch so your point is kindof moot at this point. Wow was just as bad at launch and even worse with forever downtime. Its free right now anyways so i honestly see zero grounds to complain.

Woorloog

Banned
Just finished The Esseles with a Jedi Sentinel (the other player had Jedi Shadow). Awesome, felt epic, really nice. Ironfist too 3 tries because i had forgotten buy new skills.
Got a very nice looking robe.
Like how JK plays and the story is not tha bad either. A bit cliche (at Tython) but entertaining and cool regardless. And now to explore Coruscant...

Loving my Scoundrel. Much more satisfying DPS (for me) than Gunslinger. I just rolled up my Consular, and will probably end up a Shadow tank since it sounds like they're a bit underrepresented.

At what point can you start tanking as an Assassin/Shadow? I'm at level 15 or so but only have a couple abilities that look remotely related to tanking.

As a Juggernaught, I wasn't able to properly tank till I hit 15 and got my actual tanking abilities unlocked. Most of the roles chosen don't kick in right away when you choose your AC and have to be built up to the role.

So... is it possible to switch factions/allegiances if you go down a certain morality path and then make a big decision (kind of like City of Heroes)?

I have like 3 talent points. How can I spec for anything?

I don't remember what level but somewhere in the 14-18 range you will get a taunt finally, and dark ward which increases aggro and armor. You should be able to tank fine once that happens. There is also an ability, Dark Ward, you can spec into around 20 or so that works as a shield that absorbs charges over time.

TheYanger

Even the slow servers right now will be experiencing queues at launch so your point is kindof moot at this point. Wow was just as bad at launch and even worse with forever downtime. Its free right now anyways so i honestly see zero grounds to complain.

I'm not complaining about queues. I'm saying they pulled a retarded prelaunch system out of their ass with no benefits, and the long queues being SO concentrated on good servers is exacerbated by it, they're reaping what they've sown. I can easily log in in the middle of the night without a queue and play all day, it has little effect on me (winter break), but I can understand why so many other people are mad. Combatting queues is done by anticipating demand (Since these are all preorders, that should have been easy as shit) and by getting people to roll on new servers EARLY.

Every step of this process has incentivized people to stay on the crowded servers, either because it wasn't crowded when they got in, or their friends are there, or their guild is there, etc. Had they just let the rush all hit at once they could see what was going on, throw up new servers within a couple hours, and convinced MUCH larger swathes of the population to reroll.

Emitan

Bah... kind of regretting my purchase now. I really just made this assumption when I looked at the morality bar in the UI. I guess I should do more research before throwing my money.

If the fact that you can't change your faction is a deal breaker to you, you were already wasting your money.

If the fact that you can't change your faction is a deal breaker to you, you were already wasting your money.

Well a big appeal is the whole Star Wars + Bioware thing, isn't it? Maybe I'm wrong. Bioware games are always about making decisions. When I saw all of the dialogue choices they throw at you every 5 minutes I thought they actually would mean something at the end.

But thanks for being so constructive, you're a peach.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Nope, it's full screen. The refresh is set the same as my monitor. I've never had this issue with pretty much ANY game.

Check your graphics card profiles and see if vsync is forced off.

And about my issue, I'm about to test out the game again... I had to repair a boot file since I deleted something off from the boot OS partition by mistake when I was making the secondary HDD as the main paging file HDD.

My power settings were in "power saver" mode after I repaired... Which is not good at all for a desktop.. Maybe my proc/gpu were running underclocked in a low power state or something else that's affected by low power settings.

-edit

happy to report that the slow ass performance problem is gone.

Power options in windows and selected balanced over power saver.

Emitan

Well a big appeal is the whole Star Wars + Bioware thing, isn't it? Maybe I'm wrong. Bioware games are always about making decisions. When I saw all of the dialogue choices they throw at you every 5 minutes I thought they actually would mean something at the end.

But thanks for being so constructive, you're a peach.

Well when your entire interest in a game is based on whether or not you can switch factions and not the gameplay, mechanics, story, lore, or anything it doesn't seem like you really wanted it in the first place.

Jarmel

Banned
Can anyone tell me exactly where the product code is in the CE? I have to direct someone to open the box and give me the game code.

gatti-man

Can anyone tell me exactly where the product code is in the CE? I have to direct someone to open the box and give me the game code.

Its inside the dvd steel case. Its on a single sheet of paper i believe and will be facing front when you open the case.

Top Bottom