• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Won

Got my Speeder and my Wookie pet. Now it's time to give the character a break. Seems I'm to far ahead of the pack to get any kind of group play done.

Ken

Yes. In the pre-order page of your account.
Thanks.

Anyone know if you can get two early access codes from Amazon for two copies of the game? I ordered a copy for a friend who used up that first code, so I'm not sure if they'll send me a second code if I order again.

Also, how big is the download?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I'm 10 levels to early, but where do you find the trainer for your speeder?
there is one in the fleet space station, and you actually train your speeder ability at your own trainer. I have noticed that anchorhead has a few more low level speeder selections though.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Level 25.
There are only like 5 people on the station in the level range for the next Flashpoint.

Well I guess it's Vanguard time!

Or Commando....can't decide! :(
i'm a Commando (lvl 25), fun. You get a big gun!

oktarb

Awesome. It suddenly asks me for my security question and whatever I enter doesn't work. Call customer support...been on hold for 1 hour 45 minutes.

/sigh

Meier

If you send your companion on a mission before logging off, will she go on more than one mission? That would be handy. (wishful thinking)

oktarb

If you send your companion on a mission before logging off, will she go on more than one mission? That would be handy. (wishful thinking)

The only thing I've found that you can queue multiple times is crafting tasks. I believe its up to four items.

dorkimoe

Can anyone explain the pvp/warzones better? Like how everyone gets a stat bonus? Cuz their are no level tiers except pvp levels? SO does gear even matter if everyones getting the stat bonus?

Dakota47

Man, you need a lot of buttons. I'm counting 21 skills and that's with dropping some good ones. I'm already slumped as I don't like ctrl, shift or alt-binding.

I might get one tomorrow. Like Dina I am having trouble finding enough keys.

Hows the story in it? Worth playing for that?

I'd say yes, and I am never big on stories. I was also quite skeptical about the concept of a fully voiced MMO. But as it turns out it really works, also in the multiplayer convos. For me it really helps to get immersed into the game, but then again I like playing on roleplay servers.

qKaC3K

Joined the queue to Tomb of Freedon Nadd about 3 hours ago line was 2200. (Estimated time: 2h)
Now i'm 920 in the queue.

Meier

Is there no discernible difference between races other than look and social ability? No stat differences or anything? I picked a Chiss because I liked the look but is there a "better" race for a Merc?

FStop7

Banned
Because I am playing solo I had to skip the Black Talon flashpoint. On a scale of 1-10 of awesomeness what did I miss out on?

Because I am playing solo I had to skip the Black Talon flashpoint. On a scale of 1-10 of awesomeness what did I miss out on?

Dude... it's pretty awesome. It's long too. I'd give it an 8. Some parts are tough too. I don't know if 2 players is just the recommended size or the hard limit, but I would consider 3 people on it if possible.

daoster

so I wasn't feeling smuggler early on...but now that I'm a dual wielding gunslinger and pew pewing i love it!

Just wish I had more abilities that did group damage...

Dakota47

Posted my first impressions of the game on another forum. Thought I might as well put em here.

I am in a queue right now (just 20 mins, some servers are on plus two hours atm) so I thought I'd share some of my impressions after ten to fifteen hours of playing. To get that out of the way first: I have been very skeptical about this game. I got the idea that Bioware was making a glorified co-op game. As it turns out I was wrong. Well, not entirely, but I'll get to that later.

SWTOR is a proper MMO. The WoW is strong in this one, but in the areas where you would expect it. Gameplay, UI, mechanics; the resemblances are apparent in some places. The big added feature though is full voicing and so far I'd have to say it makes a difference. My toon isn't just a dude with stats, but a real character with particular traits. After about fifteen levels I have grown quite fond of his boorish obnoxiousness. What I also enjoy a lot (and was very critical about before I played the game) were the multiplayer convos. They are awesome. So far all people I have grouped with are Light Side while I am Dark Side. Getting 'your' answers in is so much fun.

Gameplay-wise SWTOR really does nothing new. Except for no auto-attack the fighting feels a lot like WoW and other MMOs along that vein. One significant thing that is different though are mob groups. In stead of one or two regular mobs you usually get two or three easy ones and one or two tougher one. Crowd control comes in very handy a lot of the time and managing the hectic fights can be a lot of fun. Crowd control comes in handy a lot of the time, something that WoW threw out of the window around Cataclysm.

Another non-WoW feature are the companions. I quite like them. I would wish they were more customizable, but I can understand that would be hard for all the animated stuff. From a gameplay perspective they work well. I like how I can go full healer and still be able to play solo without worrying about my DPS. I think companions will be especially helpful for people who are new to the genre. In that sense SWTOR could very well be the gateway drugs to MMOs like WoW was five, six years ago. You can play most of this game entirely solo and if you turn the chat window off it is basically a singleplayer game.

I still don't know if I will subscribe after my free month, but the odds are getting better each time I play it.

Sent

Dude... it's pretty awesome. It's long too. I'd give it an 8. Some parts are tough too. I don't know if 2 players is just the recommended size or the hard limit, but I would consider 3 people on it if possible.

All through Beta on BT people picked Dark side options. I finally won a light side roll and that changes the instance A LOT lol. Try to do it both ways to see the other boss/story.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I think it's possible to solo it if you either have enough companions or, if you only have 1 companion (but is a good counterpart to your char), are high enough level.

Rflagg

For me grouping especially flashpoints is way more fun then solo quests and the best is when you are in an all gaf guild member group. I had a blast tossing heals about for Athiss (spelling?) and Hammer this morning.

Still no Origin product code I might send them an email to see if I have to reenter my cc info as I no longer allow that to remain on sites/stores. My next day off going be looking for some game time cards. If no luck I will go with 6 month non repeating and see what I think at the end of that.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Hit level 25 last night on my BH. I'm really enjoying all the voice acting. The story (Bounty Hunter at least) is very cool. There was a point on Nar Shadaa last night where I was doing nothing but class quests and I completely forgot I was playing an MMO.

kitzkozan

This game is gonna gain a good portion of the disgruntled or retired WoW crowd imo, especially those who are nostalgic about the vanilla/BC version.

- Quests are similar to the vanilla or BC experience where it's mostly fetching or killing.
- No LFG or raid mechanic yet, so you need to form your group and reputation upon your server will help or block you from getting invited
- each zone has grouping quests, which have been more or less purged from modern wow
- no arena yet, but you already have battlegrounds and I also expect world pvp.

gatti-man

This game is gonna gain a good portion of the disgruntled or retired WoW crowd imo, especially those who are nostalgic about the vanilla/BC version.

- Quests are similar to the vanilla or BC experience where it's mostly fetching or killing.
- No LFG or raid mechanic yet, so you need to form your group and reputation upon your server will help or block you from getting invited
- each zone has grouping quests, which have been more or less purged from modern wow
- no arena yet, but you already have battlegrounds and I also expect world pvp.

To me this game beats vanilla wow handily but thats just me. I never have felt the need to grind where in vanilla that was a good part of things. Questing is also far better.

kitzkozan

To me this game beats vanilla wow handily but thats just me. I never have felt the need to grind where in vanilla that was a good part of things. Questing is also far better.

Of course the questing is better than vanilla wow, but the style is similar. :p Not a whole lot of diversity in questing, especially now that WoW has all kind of gimmicky quests which refresh the experience with vehicles or morphing you into birds or whatever. At least it's properly finished while vanilla WoW had unfinished zones in Kalimdor like Mt. Hyjal, Winterspring, Silithus (before the Ahn'Quiraj patch) and Azshara.

The grind for gold in vanilla WoW was also quite painful...

Won

I only now realize that I can send different companion doing mission for the same crew skill at the same time. The slicing money printing machine just keeps going!

Rflagg

Alright, have spent 30 hours playing since the 13th. Time for a break. FINALLY DONE WITH TARIS!!!!!!!

does the game track this and if so how do I access it?
Mine likely just says too many

Edit:Mind blown I clicked the tor game image in Origin and My product code was there.

Top Bottom