• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

TheYanger

No im just saying the paying customer argument holds zero water right now. The 20th is release lets wait and see what happens. My bet is bioware will either close nad and other crazy servers on the 20th, offer transfers, or open more servers or a cominbination of those things. Its not like they want to piss off customers.

On the other habd if they do lock servers the complaining will still be there bc people dont like being shut out from people they know. I hope they just offer transfers.

They can't just MAGICALLY fix queues, locking servers isn't going to help any for the reason you've stated as well. There's no two ways about it, they fucked up by tiering the entry like this. An early release is one thing, but an early release with everyone getting in in a stream was idiotic.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Loving this game so much, playing on US West coast Server Mandalore the Indomitable. Really enjoying the Trooper so far. Game looks incredible, I tweaked a few settings in the ini

D3DFullScreen = true
Height = 1080
NativeHeight = 1080
NativeWidth = 1920
RefreshRate = 120
TextureAnisotropy = 16
Width = 1920
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
MeshLODQuality = 1
AntiAliasingLevel = 8
SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25
DynamicLightsLimit = 4
TextureAnisotropy = 16
FarClipScale = 3.9371195
MeshLODQuality = 1
PlantDensity = 150
doShadows = true
doBlobShadows = true
UseMinSpecShaders = false
EnableBloom = true
VerticalSyncState = false
FullScreen = true
TextureQuality = 0
AllowDepthOfField = true
GammaRamp = 1.037854
SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25
enableadvenvirolighting = true
DebugAdvEnviroLighting = true

Does any of this make a big difference with the graphics? The only thing I added to my ini was anti-aliasing.

gatti-man

They can't just MAGICALLY fix queues, locking servers isn't going to help any for the reason you've stated as well. There's no two ways about it, they fucked up by tiering the entry like this. An early release is one thing, but an early release with everyone getting in in a stream was idiotic.

It would have been this way at launch regardless. I really dont see your point how offering free early access is a fuck up.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
sooo letting everyone in at the same time would somehow have been better? your logic makes no sense.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
It would have been this way at launch regardless. I really dont see your point how offering free early access is a fuck up.

If they had just let everyone in at the same time the population would have spread itself out among the servers. Because they tiered it, servers are overly crowded because no one knew they rolled on an overpopulated server. Also since they are now invested in the character they created and have significant levels in it they don't want to switch servers.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
If they had just let everyone in at the same time the population would have spread itself out among the servers. Because they tiered it, servers are overly crowded because no one knew they rolled on an overpopulated server. Also since they are now invested in the character they created and have significant levels in it they don't want to switch servers.
ehh, I doubt the population would have spread itself out. And they have those Full, Heavy etc.. warnings for a reason.

Emitan

Slicing is the best. You usually get more credits back than you spent on the missions and lockboxes are pure profit. What's the point of crafting stuff when you're so rich you can just pay others for it?

Alex

Any way to move around companion hotkeys? Even when pushing them to the main bar they seem to always be locked.

vaelic

Banned

Seems ppl are blaming Jeff Hickman?

Patryn

So, after swearing that I'd never play as a Jedi in this game, I cracked and made an alt Jedi Consular.

It's funny. I think I prefer the feel of the Consular in combat, but the Trooper storyline and characterization was way better. His story drew me in a lot more.

BTW, what's the policy with alts and the GAF guild? Is it just whatever? Or can I have both characters in the guild at the same time?

If anyone's curious, my new alt is named Dacet, still on KV.

TheYanger

ehh, I doubt the population would have spread itself out. And they have those Full, Heavy etc.. warnings for a reason.

Yes it would. Sure, some servers would be more populated than others, but when your friends already have level 30-40 characters on servers that they didn't know would be overcrowded, they have very little chance of getting them to reroll by opening new servers. If it's day one and 5 of my friends want to play and there are queues, even if one of us got in beforehand he's only going to be like level 5 and rerolling is no problem. Instead they open new servers but anyone with ANY ties to anyone else is not going to play on them. Awful implementation.

Ningo

CE just arrived, entered code, in que :(. So glad they sped up amazon, would have been waiting till after christmas had they not.

gatti-man

Yes it would. Sure, some servers would be more populated than others, but when your friends already have level 30-40 characters on servers that they didn't know would be overcrowded, they have very little chance of getting them to reroll by opening new servers. If it's day one and 5 of my friends want to play and there are queues, even if one of us got in beforehand he's only going to be like level 5 and rerolling is no problem. Instead they open new servers but anyone with ANY ties to anyone else is not going to play on them. Awful implementation.

Sure if you could see the future then your example might work. Otherwise your chances of being on an overpopulated server would be the same.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
This is almost exactly what happened to my friends and i with Wows launch. We started on Hyjal day one. After getting multiple hour queues for a week all of us (nine in total) rerolled first to Warsong and then one more time to Bonechewer (before the transfers opened up funnily enough).

After all was said and done the whole affair wasnt that big of a deal.

TheYanger

Sure if you could see the future then your example might work. Otherwise your chances of being on an overpopulated server would be the same.
Why would you need to see the future? With everyone in at the same time it's no issue. With everyone let in in a trickle like they did, THEN you need to see the future to be able to do it. In fact, seeing the future wouldn't even have helped in this case, if you got in day 1 of early invites the servers that NOW don't have queues, didn't even fucking exist because Bioware opened them reactively.

This is almost exactly what happened to my friends and i with Wows launch. We started on Hyjal day one. After getting multiple hour queues for a week all of us (nine in total) rerolled first to Warsong and then one more time to Bonechewer (before the transfers opened up funnily enough).

After all was said and done the whole affair wasnt that big of a deal.

Exactly. Friends and I did the same thing in Rift, me and one other got in early in the morning and hit like level 12 or 13, friends tried to get in? 8 hour queue. rerolled np.

gatti-man

Why would you need to see the future? With everyone in at the same time it's no issue. With everyone let in in a trickle like they did, THEN you need to see the future to be able to do it. In fact, seeing the future wouldn't even have helped in this case, if you got in day 1 of early invites the servers that NOW don't have queues, didn't even fucking exist because Bioware opened them reactively.

Exactly. Friends and I did the same thing in Rift, me and one other got in early in the morning and hit like level 12 or 13, friends tried to get in? 8 hour queue. rerolled np.

Because not everyone signs up on launch day? Because launch day doesnt tell you anything about server pop it usually takes 3-4 days to know which is right where we are. See then you go on to say lvl 11-12 reroll no problem? How far do you think most people are in this game? Its been 7 days at most.

Does anyone have a 4870x2? I was just curious how well it runs the game. I recently upgraded my machine to a i5-2500k @ 4.5GHZ and 8GB ram, but haven't upgraded by video card.

Slicing is the best. You usually get more credits back than you spent on the missions and lockboxes are pure profit. What's the point of crafting stuff when you're so rich you can just pay others for it?

i must be doing something wrong ill send em out for 100 they come back with an aug that vendors forl ike 80, so I lost 20?

does it get better later im at like level 65

I think I'm going to go Tank on my Trooper Vanguard. I'm reading some forums on some good skills to learn. This is my first foray into prepping for endgame in an MMO (played WoW solo until about level 35).

Dakota47

I like how your character changes when going to the Dark Side. My dude is +2 points at the moment and it shows.

hCsmg.jpg

Won

Got my Mini Sandcrawler! Yay!

Also only now saw that relics are items to activate......like I have space on my bars for that, Bioware. I really feel trolled with that UI.

And since everyone posts his char, I will throw in my little Scoundrel too.

Wd9cg.jpg

Got my Mini Sandcrawler! Yay!

Also only now saw that relics are items to activate......like I have space on my bars for that, Bioware. I really feel trolled with that UI.

And since everyone posts his char, I will throw in my little Scoundrel too.

Wd9cg.jpg

Little?...no =p

Arnie

So guys, many of you have played this for a substantial amount of time already, and as that's the case I'm going to ask a question:

As someone who loved KOTOR (favourite game) but has never played an MMO before, or really had the urge to, is it worth me getting this game? Will it live up to my expectations if I want to play it primarily as a KOTOR 3 rather than an mmo in the old republic universe? I'm referring in terms of how it plays as an RPG, ie quest structure, narrative, characters, combat.

Besides the early access, does anyone know if there is/was any other "advantage" or feat of strength type thing for starting SWTOR on the ground floor?

I was pretty sure I would wait to see how it played out for at least a few months (and maybe get a price drop) before at least trying it out, but I'm tempted. There really isn't anything quite like the launch/early life of an MMO or expansion pack for an MMO.

Top Bottom