• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Lord Phol

Was originally going to have all my characters on the same server, but watching the Queues on ToFN has made me change my mind. Think I'm goning to roll an alt on Kai-Kain and see how that goes.

HBroward

9 of us from the Empire on KV went back and destroyed the world boss on Kass last night. We ranged from level 15 to 29, sucker never had a chance. I've also been a part of a group that took out Grandfather, now just need to go back to Nar Shaddaa and find the boss there.

ihasaflavour

Neo Member
Swore off MMO's for a while now...but my brother and friends are getting/playing this game.

The force is strong with this game. Damn you MMO's...damn you all to hell :(

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Loving Mercenary so far. Wasn't a huge fan of rail shot / tracer missile but now that the talents are starting to build up they're great for elites / strong mobs. Just finished chapter one. Absolutely love the class quests.

RIEwF.jpg

Kinan

Faced a first real challenge in this game yesterday - was healing in hammer station as a lvl16 sorcerer. Every fuck up was immediately punished, tank aggro management needed to be perfect as well as my CC and healing skills.
We needed to try final boss 4 or 5 times before finally besting him. was oom in the last minute of the fight, only me and tank survived, was killing last adds with my lightsaber. :)

Good times.

Managed to reach 18 yesterday and got my ship. go damn, its huge.

Azzurri

Loving Mercenary so far. Wasn't a huge fan of rail shot / tracer missile but now that the talents are starting to build up they're great for elites / strong mobs. Just finished chapter one. Absolutely love the class quests.

RIEwF.jpg

I too, at first I thought Merc was pretty weak, especially in PvP, but I'm learning as I go, and getting some nice skills. Now I can hold my own pretty well in PvP, plus I can last a long time.

Btw, Sweet helm.

Game is still not flowing well on my overqualified computer. I got specifications to run games alot more demanding than this without problems and I still get severe fps drops in most places in the game. Is this a problem alot of people have?

mik83kuu

Banned
Pre-ordered the game today and got the early access email 30 minutes later. Now just have to wait for client to download :-(

2GB left on Main Assets, but at least it's coming @ 2.35Mbps

Wow Nar Shadda looks really awesome. I was hoping Kaas city would look like that but I'm happy with the atmosphere there. Can't wait to get to Shadda now. I know little to nothing about the Star Wars lore and other than what is in the movies, which I haven't watched in a while, but I'm really enjoying reading the codex when new entries pop up. Right now the Sith lore is far more interesting to me.

That's pretty reassuring to know as a fellow Merc. My problem with the game so far through lvl15 is that it feels like I'm still in the nursery, insofar as that every merc looks exactly the same. Tough to build any sort of BH atmosphere when you're wearing whatever was available at the Sith GAP

IllumiNate

Loving this game so much, playing on US West coast Server Mandalore the Indomitable. Really enjoying the Trooper so far. Game looks incredible, I tweaked a few settings in the ini

D3DFullScreen = true
Height = 1080
NativeHeight = 1080
NativeWidth = 1920
RefreshRate = 120
TextureAnisotropy = 16
Width = 1920
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
MeshLODQuality = 1
AntiAliasingLevel = 8
SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25
DynamicLightsLimit = 4
TextureAnisotropy = 16
FarClipScale = 3.9371195
MeshLODQuality = 1
PlantDensity = 150
doShadows = true
doBlobShadows = true
UseMinSpecShaders = false
EnableBloom = true
VerticalSyncState = false
FullScreen = true
TextureQuality = 0
AllowDepthOfField = true
GammaRamp = 1.037854
SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 1.25
enableadvenvirolighting = true
DebugAdvEnviroLighting = true

markatisu

Anyone know off hand what level or where you can get some nice headgear for a Trooper, I am on Coruscant at Level 14 and only found one head thing while killing random enemies. Tried both the marketplace and the Galactic Trade network but do not see any helmet/head options just implants

Fonds

Post I wrote up on swtor.com to vent some of my feelings about Bioware/EA's handling of the server queue.
I came home from work to see a 2000+ queue again today, so I had nothing better to do than writing this thing up.

Jeff Hickman wrote up a nice little piece about the server queues and how they realise that there are problems with queueing. I'm sad to say that this post hardly even touched on how most customers actually feel right now.

As far as understatement goes, this post doesn't even belong in the understatement ballpark. I've seen launches and had my share of queueing, but never for more than an hour.
Waiting in a 5 hour queue as a paying customer is just unacceptable. Bioware receives money from their paying customers in return for a service delivered to them.
You could say that Bioware are indeed delivering their service, if you were to say that logging into a server that has standard load is an option.
The problem is, however, that Bioware placed me and my guild on a server that is constantly full.
This is why it's Bioware's problem to come up with a solution that's better than, suck it up or create a new character.
Creating a new character is not an option for a lot of people. I've already invested time into my character when the server load wasnt this high. I've got my entire guild on that server and we can't move the entire guild. My guildmates have friends on the server that we were deployed on. We've all made new friends on the server that we were deployed on. These are just a few of numerous reasons, why just moving to a less crowded place, is not an optimal option.

Something needs to happen and it needs to happen fast.
Hollow statements like; "We're constantly monitoring servers.", and "Balancing servers is part art, part science", hardly acknowledge the problem.

Bioware just need to come out and say: Okay we messed up real bad. We tried to stagger early acces to ensure a smooth launch, but we failed. Right now we're doing our best to increase server capacity, or give you alternatives to move you and your guild.

Twisting and turning around the real problem at hand is one of the most frustrating things you can do to a paying customer.
I just want to hear that you understand the gravity of the issue. That you're working on a real solution, instead of saying that you're "monitoring" the situation. I'd even be more pleased to hear that you're not doing anything to alleviate the stress on full servers, so I could take my money elsewhere.
Other companies that have had comparable issues during launch have let their customers know that refunds were given, or that free playable days were going to be added.
The most reliable source for information so far has been twitter through @Rockjaw.
I'm just disappointed in a company with such a clean trackrecord as Bioware/EA has, that the flow of information regarding this problem isn't as transparent towards their customer base as it should be.

threadlink

Dakota47

I don't get why people are getting mad at Bioware after they themselves joined a very popular server. The queues on my server (if any) haven't been longer than ten minutes up until now.

Fonds

I don't get why people are getting mad at Bioware after they themselves joined a very popular server. The queues on my server (if any) haven't been longer than ten minutes up until now.

Bioware put us on that server... read the article if u need arguments.

Boogdud

Browsed some of the pvp gear for the empire classes. Wow that stuff looks like ass (for nearly every class), please tell me the higher level armors look better than these.

Dakota47

Bioware put us on that server... read the article if u need arguments.

This argument ...

My guildmates have friends on the server that we were deployed on. We've all made new friends on the server that we were deployed on. These are just a few of numerous reasons, why just moving to a less crowded place, is not an optimal option.

... holds true for most people on the server. There is no solution for that. People will always flock together.

Fonds

This argument ...

... holds true for most people on the server. There is no solution for that. People will always flock together.

I'd leave this server as soon as I get the chance. Sadly I'm just not that rich in spare time to create a new character from scratch.

Stuart444

If they offered free transfers then the queues might not be too big of a problem. I am certainly not going to start up the exact same character and go through the exact same content just to get back to where I was already.

People saying "roll on a different server" don't seem to understand two of the major points. 1) Going through the exact same content does get boring and 2) A lot of people won't want to give up time already invested in their current character.

It's really that simple.

SLV

This is bullshit !

Was in the queue while going to the cinema for the new Mission Impossible, come back, error 1113 or something, said something about possible maintenance :/

I cant even get in the game today for some reason, dc'd like 4 times, in the queue alone, arghhhhhh....

Anyone else having error where it looks like the game is about to crash but then you get the TOR screen and it comes back? It's almost like it's resetting the UI.

Had that happen two or three times during the beta but now it will happen everywhere from once an hour to six times an hour. Doesnt matter how long I've been playing for either. Really damn annoying in the middle of fighting.

GTX470, by the way.

Is anyone else doing a Sith Warrior character that they're doing light side responses for instead of just dark side ones? Or vice-versa with a Jedi? I'm about to start on that for one of my alts and I'm just wondering if there's an actual difference in how the story plays out or if it's completely irrelevant.

Zafir

Is anyone else doing a Sith Warrior character that they're doing light side responses for instead of just dark side ones? Or vice-versa with a Jedi? I'm about to start on that for one of my alts and I'm just wondering if there's an actual difference in how the story plays out or if it's completely irrelevant.
On my level 25 Juggernaut I've chosen both Light and Dark options. The rest of the quest can play out completely different depending on your choice. For example in one quest, my friend who's also a warrior decided to kill this person, and so his quest ended there. I spared them, and instead had to go off and kill another person. I also got another scene when I went back to the person I saved. It doesn't change the over all plot though, no. It's local to that quest pretty much, bar the dialogue references in other quests.

TheExodu5

Banned

It is absolutely Bioware's fault. They need to manage server loads. Either upgrade the server capacity (which seems to be pitifully low), or allow for free transfers off the server.

With the amount of instancing that goes on in SWTOR, and the seemingly sparse population in game, I can't even begin to comprehend why the queue times are so long.

We're posting characters? Here's my Sith Asshole:

demi.png

FStop7

Banned
So on the PVP servers do we eventually get into questing areas where we'll cross paths with players on the other side? Or is it all battlegrounds?

Dromund Kaas reminds me of Stranglethorn, minus the ganking.

Won

Yeah....no.

Every server was on light when I started playing. It's totally my fault.

Also textures on gear are getting worse and worse or they never considered anyone actually playing a character with body type #4.

Dunlop

Anyone else getting an issue where the raid frames are not reflecting peoples health or actually all remain full?

makes it a LITTLE hard to properly heal

Cystm

Man, this game looks so good in places. In others, it looks so low res that you can mistake it for the old x-box KoTOR.

Also, in regards to the gratuitous character pimping, can we at least keep the shot size down a bit? lol.

Click to compare.
Or do like Billy did. Just saying.

Hey. I think we're relatives.

Excellent taste, my friend. Such a fun class.

Quick question:

If I were to go to Gamestop today and Pre-Order, I'm assuming I wouldn't get my physical copy until the 20th (even though Amazon says they have it in stock).

So if it thats the case, how do I go about getting my early access to the game and would I even feasibly get access before the 20th launch if they are still sending out waves?

pix

Couple questions. I am sure these have been answered but I didn't see them.

1. Is this game only available on Origin, or can I download the files separately. (I hate Origin so I won't get it if it does.)

2. If I pre-order now, will I be able to play right away after I download?

Emitan

Couple questions. I am sure these have been answered but I didn't see them.

1. Is this game only available on Origin, or can I download the files separately. (I hate Origin so I won't get it if it does.)

2. If I pre-order now, will I be able to play right away after I download?

If you want it digitally you have to order from Origin, but you never need to install it to play.

So, does anyone have any experience Tanking with a Sith Assassin? How much does it rely on rogue-ish elements? I ask because I love tanking and would love a double-bladed saber, but I've always really disliked rogue classes mechanics (stealth, combos, etc).

jedimike

Downloading the game now for early access. I'm a MMO newb... should I just do a PvE server? I plan on playing casually. I'm going to be a bounty hunter (despite my Gaf nick).

Top Bottom