• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

JWong

Banned
So guys, many of you have played this for a substantial amount of time already, and as that's the case I'm going to ask a question:

As someone who loved KOTOR (favourite game) but has never played an MMO before, or really had the urge to, is it worth me getting this game? Will it live up to my expectations if I want to play it primarily as a KOTOR 3 rather than an mmo in the old republic universe? I'm referring in terms of how it plays as an RPG, ie quest structure, narrative, characters, combat.

Yeah it's KotOR.

imo the combat comes from current age MMOs. It's fluid, faster, and more satisfying. But if you hated Dragon Age 2's combat over Dragon Age Origins, can't say you can pause the game and play the game like classic KotOR anymore.

DTKT

Yeah it's KotOR.

imo the combat comes from current age MMOs. It's fluid, faster, and more satisfying. But if you hated Dragon Age 2's combat over Dragon Age Origins, can't say you can pause the game and play the game like classic KotOR anymore.

Is the story really that good?

So guys, many of you have played this for a substantial amount of time already, and as that's the case I'm going to ask a question:

As someone who loved KOTOR (favourite game) but has never played an MMO before, or really had the urge to, is it worth me getting this game? Will it live up to my expectations if I want to play it primarily as a KOTOR 3 rather than an mmo in the old republic universe? I'm referring in terms of how it plays as an RPG, ie quest structure, narrative, characters, combat.

It has lot of good narrative, something never seen in any other MMO to this calibur, though much of the game is standard MMO fair with some unique twists here and there. Might seem very linear though to many, it doesn't open up for many hours in, though to fully enjoy it also you really need to play with others at various parts of the game. Some of the classes have very intriguing stories, though I don't think any are as epic as one of the KOTOR games. It's like a game full of mini campaigns.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
So um, I think sears.com might have some CE in stock since I was just able to order one for a friend from there.

Got last post on previous page D:

Besides the early access, does anyone know if there is/was any other "advantage" or feat of strength type thing for starting SWTOR on the ground floor?

I was pretty sure I would wait to see how it played out for at least a few months (and maybe get a price drop) before at least trying it out, but I'm tempted. There really isn't anything quite like the launch/early life of an MMO or expansion pack for an MMO.

Median

Has anyone had the message "You are not controlled" come up while attempting to attack? I was just playing and had that come up every time, and it prevented me from actually attacking. It came up as "You are not in control" once too.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
It's in the bottom right of dromund kaas, the heroic area where u have to collect the tablets etc.

There's 1 world boss on each planet, I believe not including starter planets.

shit, is there any quest related to it? Need to go back to help take it down at some point. That's sick

Ningo

good for the lvl, but not great in grand scheme of things. There was also a purple saber hilt not pictured.

I'm out, need to head to uni.

Have a good one

megalowho

Hotlanta says 'sup

screenshot2011121819494.jpg

Hood covers up his fine blonde cornrows, but a Jedi got to look professional

Wallach

Have only played Smuggler, but the story is pretty entertaining so far. I really enjoy the dialogue options you get.

"If I die doing this for you, I'm going to be so mad."

HBroward

Came back from dinner to find the 367th position in the queue. At least it's only a 25 minute wait, thankfully Keller's Void doesn't have the problem a lot of the larger servers do. I'm going to post a pic of my sniper Trevin in Imperial Officers clothing when I make it in.

Patryn

Yay queues.

257 currently. But I started at 365, so....

I'll be really curious how the "release" will affect queues. At this point, aren't most of the people already in and playing?

Queues! Currently 112th.... this is making me never want to stop playing in fear of having to wait on these long lines. Dark Reaper's wait is currently over an hour! They're bumping up the player caps upon official release, right?

mik83kuu

Banned
Spent my first seven hours with this game today and I'm almost level 12. God I love it :)

Was playing on my 55" LCD TV and the comfy couch sorta got my back a little hurt. Hopefully my new display comes in tomorrow...

Alchemy

No. All classes can use companions, but there are no classes that have "pets" beyond those.

I think I would have been completely sold on this game if there was some sort of engineering class that let me build up my own personal droid and mod it while leveling up.

Wallach

I think I would have been completely sold on this game if there was some sort of engineering class that let me build up my own personal droid and mod it while leveling up.

All the classes can do that. You have full control over their gear just like a normal character. Some of the classes have different droid companions, and one of the crew skills specializes in crafting droid-specific gear (Cybertech I think).

Edit - The downside is that you won't be able to use them during group content. Companions take up a party slot, so in a full party they aren't accessible.

Alchemy

How much of an effect does the droid gear have on the droids role? I was thinking more along the lines of being able to build your droid for different roles and theme them differently through extreme skill/stat/appearance customization. Not just a friendly companion you can give equipment to and his AI takes over his actions.

Top Bottom