• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

mik83kuu

Banned
Guys important question: Is there an option I missed or a .ini tweak to disable the camera from resetting behind me when I move?

moop1167

Anyone want to describe gameplay for me? Haven't played an MMO in a while, but have played WoW, Aion, DAOC, LOTRO. This game looks pretty cool but is it any good?

Fonds

Downloading the game now for early access. I'm a MMO newb... should I just do a PvE server? I plan on playing casually. I'm going to be a bounty hunter (despite my Gaf nick).

Do you want to be able to kill people in open world PvP (When you into enemy players while questing) or do you want to quest in peace.

That's pretty much the question. If you play PvE you can only kill enemy players in specific instanced battlegrounds.

jedimike

Do you want to be able to kill people in open world PvP (When you into enemy players while questing) or do you want to quest in peace.

That's pretty much the question. If you play PvE you can only kill enemy players in specific instanced battlegrounds.

Thanks... I prefer to quest in peace I imagine.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Character shots! I'm sad because it appears I am not very unique.

xmUP3.jpg

Red Sith mean bitches, unite~!

Edit: Fixed for size

gatti-man

I'd leave this server as soon as I get the chance. Sadly I'm just not that rich in spare time to create a new character from scratch.

I know it sucks but no one is a paying customer yet and you have only had your character for 5 days. Saying you arent time rich enough kindof doesnt make sense. If you aremt time rich you shouldnt be that far in rendering time lost rather minor.

I have very very limited MMO experience (just a short time in lotro after it went free to play). My cousin convinced me to play on a PVP server and I'm afraid I'm going to really regret that decision once I get off my capital planet.

Stuart444

I know it sucks but no one is a paying customer yet and you have only had your character for 5 days. Saying you arent time rich enough kindof doesnt make sense. If you aremt time rich you shouldnt be that far in rendering time lost rather minor.

Technically you are a paying customer as early access is granted to anyone who pre-orders and redeems a pre-order code.

People in Europe would probably have or are getting their boxed versions as well (like myself) do that makes them a paying customer regardless even if you aren't paying monthly 'yet'

Kettch

I have very very limited MMO experience (just a short time in lotro after it went free to play). My cousin convinced me to play on a PVP server and I'm afraid I'm going to really regret that decision once I get off my capital planet.

You'll have quite a bit more time before running into enemy players. The first shared area is on the 4th planet, but only for a short time. The 5th planet is easy to go through without meeting an enemy player at all, though they can get to you if they really want to. 6th planet on is when the encounters are supposed to ramp up, though that's where I stopped in the beta.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Looking at the character screenshots, the art style in this game is hideous.

You'll have quite a bit more time before running into enemy players. The first shared area is on the 4th planet, but only for a short time. The 5th planet is easy to go through without meeting an enemy player at all, though they can get to you if they really want to. 6th planet on is when the encounters are supposed to ramp up, though that's where I stopped in the beta.

Well at least I have time but given a character export option, I would move to a PVE server in a heart beat. After playing some PVP matches, I feel like chicken with its head cut off. I ended up in the middle of the pack in all my matches but I just don't have the muscle memory and situational awareness I need to be effective.

gatti-man

Technically you are a paying customer as early access is granted to anyone who pre-orders and redeems a pre-order code.

People in Europe would probably have or are getting their boxed versions as well (like myself) do that makes them a paying customer regardless even if you aren't paying monthly 'yet'

Eh no release date is the 20th and we all knew the early release would be a rocky pre release event. I know many people who havent paid or are just freeloading. Come the 20th thats launch day. Anything else is looking a gift horse in the mouth imo.

putarorex

I played four characters up to level 10 and I am really liking the game. I'll probably go with the six month subscription (then burn out after two months and play the game sporadically thereafter like I did with RIFT...).

I am playing on an rp server so no queus so far. It is interesting to watch rpers argue about serenity, passion, and the force, while rp griefers go off on them (followed by a slew of "welcome to ignores"). The community seems pretty good. I am a passive rper, so I don't mind how nerdy it can get.

Stuart444

Eh no release date is the 20th and we all knew the early release would be a rocky pre release event. I know many people who havent paid or are just freeloading. Come the 20th thats launch day. Anything else is looking a gift horse in the mouth imo.

So people who have the box that they paid for are freeloading? That makes plenty of sense!

SLV

You didn't have to pay any money to get access to early access. Whether you did or not is irrelevant.

I did ? As i am not living in one of the "chosen countries", i was not allowed pre ordering through Origin, so the "quality of service could be held high", so i pre ordered from shopto, paid in full, and got my early access from them.

2dX20.jpg

gatti-man

I did ? As i am not living in one of the "chosen countries", i was not allowed pre ordering through Origin, so the "quality of service could be held high", so i pre ordered from shopto, paid in full, and got my early access from them.
g[/IMG]

I dont think you understand. Early access was to guage the community and make for a smoother launch on the 20th. This was stated and understood. Its not release. Payment was not necessary just preorder.

Stuart444

You didn't have to pay any money to get access to early access. Whether you did or not is irrelevant.

Well when I ordered from Shopto, I was told I was not allowed to cancel after getting access to and redeeming my pre-order code (since those codes are only supposed to be for those who do pre-order and people cancelling may leave a shortage of codes for legit pre-orders).

That said, at this point, the 18th... a lot of people will have their boxes of the game and therefore will have paid so yes, we are paying customers regardless.

I dont think you understand. Early access was to guage the community and make for a smoother launch on the 20th. This was stated and understood. Its not release. Payment was not necessary just preorder.

And if it is not a smooth launch on the 20th? This was all a waste of time?

SLV

Well, and all i am saying is that i had to pay to get early access, from third parties no less. And that is all i am saying, don't read too much in to it :)

SLV

That said, at this point, the 18th... a lot of people will have their boxes of the game and therefore will have paid so yes, we are paying customers regardless.

Yup, already got my box, and redeemed the serial.

EDIT: Oh shit, sorry for double post, meant to edit mine above >.<

mxgt

Banned
Things that need to be in this game ASAP:

-Auction house search without going through filters first (Why the fuck isn't this in?)
-Ability to remove that god awful sticky cam when running
-Ability to scale the UI

please.

gatti-man

Well when I ordered from Shopto, I was told I was not allowed to cancel after getting access to and redeeming my pre-order code (since those codes are only supposed to be for those who do pre-order and people cancelling may leave a shortage of codes for legit pre-orders).

And if it is not a smooth launch on the 20th? This was all a waste of time?

No im just saying the paying customer argument holds zero water right now. The 20th is release lets wait and see what happens. My bet is bioware will either close nad and other crazy servers on the 20th, offer transfers, or open more servers or a cominbination of those things. Its not like they want to piss off customers.

On the other habd if they do lock servers the complaining will still be there bc people dont like being shut out from people they know. I hope they just offer transfers.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
here are my characters. My trooper may not have all of the cool looking armor, but he's got it where it counts.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
i wish it played more like x-wing, tie fighter etc.. Give me real space combat, not this on rails bullshit.

Top Bottom