• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
DAMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNIT!!!!

GAH! F***!

34 minutes in queue... and my internet discconets when I'm 7th in line.

Now number 417. :-/

Seriously, fuck you, AT&T. Also; c'mon Bioware. Keller's Void is a freaking Ghost Town - they better plan on upping the population at launch. Not even because of the long queues; but because I want the planets to be more populate... much more populated... by players.

6535162003_8e82f4e50c_z.jpg

Besides the early access, does anyone know if there is/was any other "advantage" or feat of strength type thing for starting SWTOR on the ground floor?

I was pretty sure I would wait to see how it played out for at least a few months (and maybe get a price drop) before at least trying it out, but I'm tempted. There really isn't anything quite like the launch/early life of an MMO or expansion pack for an MMO.
The economy is still trying to find itself. I'm not noticing too much price difference between green, blue, purple items.

amrod

GAH! F***!

Seriously, fuck you, AT&T. Also; c'mon Bioware. Keller's Void is a freaking Ghost Town - they better plan on upping the population at launch. Not even because of the long queues; but because I want the planets to be more populate... much more populated... by players.

How many people can a server handle at once I wonder...

Morn

Banned

It's populated, but you don't see other players because they instance the open world.

Measley

Well, I'm cancelling my pre-order. Not because the game is bad, but because there's no way I'll be able to play this until next year. Its going to be hard, but I need to prioritize my time.

I'm going to enjoy early access until Tuesday though. :p

But man, these queues are killing me. I've been playing on alternate servers, but because of that, I haven't been able to get passed lvl 13, or participate with the guild. :-(

BTW, how do you take screenshots of your character?

Kintaco

GAH! F***!

How long does a 400 queue take? I'm 388 at the moment, and haven't really tried the GAF server because of the wait.

Alchemy

by the way, is there any reason that the GAF guild is on a PVE server? PVP sounds so much fun!

Because PvP servers are a trap (if they work anything like WoW's PvP servers). They're fun initially, but once you get people at end game you just have a bunch of griefing going on.

I loved leveling up 1-60 in Vanilla WoW on a PvP server, had some epic battles. But once people started farming dungeons and leveling alts it became extremely annoying.

You have an hour to go questing? Get corpsed camped for 30 minutes and be forced to switch characters and chase them off. Want to run Molten Core? Gotta contend with the 30 Horde camping the entrance waiting for their raid to come together while they spam AoE skills over the entrance.

PvE servers? YAY I CAN PLAY THIS GAME. If you want to PvP? Organized PvP! Best of both worlds.

Calidor

Because PvP servers are a trap (if they work anything like WoW's PvP servers). They're fun initially, but once you get people at end game you just have a bunch of griefing going on.

I loved leveling up 1-60 in Vanilla WoW on a PvP server, had some epic battles. But once people started farming dungeons and leveling alts it became extremely annoying.

You have an hour to go questing? Get corpsed camped for 30 minutes and be forced to switch characters and chase them off. Want to run Molten Core? Gotta contend with the 30 Horde camping the entrance waiting for their raid to come together while they spam AoE skills over the entrance.

PvE servers? YAY I CAN PLAY THIS GAME. If you want to PvP? Organized PvP! Best of both worlds.

I understand, so basically the thing about PVP servers is the trolling/ruining of the experience.

I thought that they had some kind of measures to avoid this. Like a aggro level limit (IE: a Lvl 50 can't attack anything lower than 40)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
How long does a 400 queue take? I'm 388 at the moment, and haven't really tried the GAF server because of the wait.

400 people is about is about 25-40min from what I've gathered over the last few days. I'm now sitting at position 25 from earlier, fwiw.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'd say, at least for the early access, you can expect 10 minutes for every 100 people. And you might get lucky and shave a little time off of that, but don't count on it.

Well, I'm cancelling my pre-order. Not because the game is bad, but because there's no way I'll be able to play this until next year. Its going to be hard, but I need to prioritize my time.

But man, these queues are killing me. I've been playing on alternate servers, but because of that, I haven't been able to get passed lvl 13, or participate with the guild. :-(

I'm in the same boat as you, didn't cancel my preorder but won't be able to play til January. Got my Merc up to 26, and have a lvl 11 Juggernaut, Sorcerer and Operative. Game has me hooked good but I'll be heading home for the holidays and won't have a computer to play on until after the New Year. Hope there will be enough people around the mid 20s to do FP come January. Guess I'm stuck lurking this thread over the holidays :p

For screenshots, press printscreen

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

print screen

Choc

Banned
This is going to sound super super dumb, so sorry about that

anyway

can someone explain to me what Priority Based rotations mean? i am looking at some information about Jedi Guardians and the tip is to have a specific rotation

does this mean the order in which i should attack an enemy

so for example, if the order was

force leap
force sweep
blade storm

etc etc

does this mean for each attack i should attack in that order to maximise my DPS?

vaelic

Banned
The following is a brief statement from Jeff Hickman, Executive Producer, Live Services:
"We know there have been questions about the queues on the servers, so we wanted to take a moment to give you some insight.

In order to ensure that the service would be smooth and stable, we staged how we brought people into the Early Game Access program, adding people in waves. As you know, there are a lot of folks who want to play the game right now and we want to make sure they have lots of people to play with. Balancing this with figuring out when to bring new servers online to help alleviate the size of the queues is part art and part science. On one hand, you do not want people to wait too long – on the other hand, you want to make sure that people have a dynamic, engaging community to play with for long after launch. Either way, we have one clear objective – to make sure folks have fun.

While we can’t promise that there won’t ever be queues, we can promise you that we are taking this matter seriously and constantly reviewing them to make sure that they are manageable and reasonable."

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

anyway

can someone explain to me what Priority Based rotations mean? i am looking at some information about Jedi Guardians and the tip is to have a specific rotation
In a priority based rotation the timers on abilities aren't set up in a way that allows a locked rotation, so you prioritize skill use based on efficiency.

So in the example you listed you want to Force Leap whenever it is up and you can. If that's down you go to Force Sweep. If that's down you go to Blade Storm.

mik83kuu

Banned

anyway

force leap
force sweep
blade storm

etc etc

does this mean for each attack i should attack in that order to maximise my DPS?

Priority based rotation means you don't have you rotation set in stone. You have priorities and you always use the skill with highest priority. If priority 1. is on cooldown, you use priority 2. and since certain skills become active based on enemy dodging or you making a succesful defence, you might actually (based on luck and other factors) end up using priority 1. again before using 3. etc.

A non-priority rotation would simply be 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Now what are the priorities for any class, I can't help you with.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Any US GAFers on any PvP servers?

Well I'm in Canada, but I'm on Anchorhead, a full PVP server. East coast. I would like to be in the main gaf guild but... I didn't think gaf was a buncha care bears. lol

To me PVP servers don't "ruin" the experience. The game is about two factions at war. There should be chaos and death all around. That is part of the fun. Some people can't handle it I guess. I find it more annoying for someone of my own faction to challenge me to a duel than to get ganked by someone that's a higher level than me. Hah. And I'm actually pretty passive, generally if someone don't start nothin, then there won't be nothin. But the threat of constant danger in certain areas really adds to the game, makes the world seem more alive. I mean outside of heroic quests and flashpoints it's pretty damn easy.

I tried my first PVE server in wow after years of playing on a PVP server and a horde player had to challenge me to a duel in STV to fight me. There's something so neutered and lame about that.
Not even a second thought about PVE servers after that moment.

bill0527

anyway

force leap
force sweep
blade storm

etc etc

No it means you use the highest one on your list that is available. It may very well be those three in order, but it may not. If X isnt available, go to Y. If X and Y aren't available, go to Z.

Hawk269

Maybe there is a fix for this that I am missing, but the only real annoying thing about the game is when you have your companion and you are running around in the enviroment, they always seem to get in the view behind my character and then they start clipping and shit like that. Why couldnt the companion be running off to the side, like rear left/rear right or something. It is really annoying to be running around and they are contstantly in your way, then when you need to click on something, the dialog prompt for the companion is in the way. Hope there is a fix for this or perhaps as I said earlier I may be missing something.

Been leveling a sorcerer to slow down my BH progress so I can actually do flashpoints and heroics, but I just got jet charge and good lord it's a game changer in PVP for powertech. You're pretty much always in someone's face throwing flamethrowers/rocket punches with grapple and jet charge.

Meier

Flew to Alderaan to see it there was an Auction House there (nope). Can't believe there are only like 4 total..that's absolutely insane. A godawful UI for it AND a lack of them? Dumb.

That being said, the port/city area was beautiful. Can't wait to level up more to further explore the area outside.

Mairu

Spending 20+ minutes in a queue only to crash to the desktop as soon as the game loads and then having to wait in the queue again is fucking aggravating.

Flew to Alderaan to see it there was an Auction House there (nope). Can't believe there are only like 4 total..that's absolutely insane. A godawful UI for it AND a lack of them? Dumb.

That being said, the port/city area was beautiful. Can't wait to level up more to further explore the area outside.
Are the AHs all linked? And it's not that bad considering you can port to the space hub at any time.

Well TOR is so instanced the high level grief will probably never see you because he's on Tatoinee 3 and you're on 1!

BurningNad

They need to let you sell something you've purchased from a vendor at the exact same price for like, a minute or something. I stupidly followed a tooltip on a loading screen that said to hold alt and right click an item to preview it on your character... but I wound up buying it. For 8500 credits. And then I sold it back for 850. *cries*

GAH! F***!

Hah looks like Bioware is going with the phasing trend. What an utter disappointment if the planets are barren. I guess the days of MMOs with areas that have a high population density are gone. Stormwind and Orgrimmar don't count either.

Out of curiosity, what are the odds that they give you the ability to move your character to a different server? I'm less concerned with queues and more nervous about the fact that a went with a PVP server. I'm not familiar enough with MMOs to know if character export features are common or not.

Jswanko

Every time I see a server with an hour+ queue time I think, "lol nerds" because the server names are usually either super "badass" or a popular SW reference.

Edit: Dark Reaper im looking at you

Mairu

My 15-25 minute queue has grown to at least an hour as the game just crashes every time I get in. Tried restarting, now trying after running the install repair. This is very frustrating and saddening :(

Out of curiosity, what are the odds that they give you the ability to move your character to a different server? I'm less concerned with queues and more nervous about the fact that a went with a PVP server. I'm not familiar enough with MMOs to know if character export features are common or not.

dont listen to people about PVP servers, they're not nearly as bad as people claim they are.

I always role a RP-PVP server and have been camped only once in any mmo. If anything you just learn to get better at PVP faster.

Aeana

Suddenly all holograms are invisible for me. I was able to fix it by either turning conversation depth of field off or turning antialiasing off... but it's weird because I've been playing with these settings for two days and could see holograms fine until just now. :\

Top Bottom