• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Meier

This is what you see when you leave the hangar on Alderaan. Very cool.

rHsFG.jpg

Morn

Banned
Suddenly all holograms are invisible for me. I was able to fix it by either turning conversation depth of field off or turning antialiasing off... but it's weird because I've been playing with these settings for two days and could see holograms fine until just now. :\

That was a bug that was in beta for months. Hope it doesn't stick around in the final for too long.

I'm gearing up to get in line tomorrow at the Best Buy in Union Square. I preordered there forever ago and only last week are we hearing that it's going to be a big to-do.

My idea of waltzing in and getting my CE Preorder around 11 or so is completely dashed. But at least I can get it signed?

mxgt

Banned
Just hit Dark II and noticing the changes, my skin got paler and I'm getting shadows around my eyes and marks around my mouth. My eyes were already red so don't see any change there. Pretty cool

Darklord

Banned
I got my copy today. Damn Amazon was fast(I'm in Australia). Can you stay playing now with the early access stuff or do I have to wait until the proper launch?

Heysoos

dont listen to people about PVP servers, they're not nearly as bad as people claim they are.

I always role a RP-PVP server and have been camped only once in any mmo. If anything you just learn to get better at PVP faster.

That's a bit unfair to say, maybe people just have different experiences than you? I rolled a PVP server on Rift, and I got camped A LOT. Made for finishing quests, especially in Contested areas quite an annoying and frustrating experience, that I would just quit the game and stop playing all together for days at a time.

EGG

Neo Member
Potential NSFW? not really noticeable, but if so I'm sorry:

Screenshot_2011-12-18_20_42_01_447780.jpg

First time I saw this scene in Nar Shaddaa.. I was completely taken by surprise and died of laughter

Aeana

Is the "focus target modifier" hotkey thing broken or something?
I set my companion as my focus target, and they show up in the focus frame, and then I hold the default key (end) while casting a heal or something and it still casts on me.

Alex

Took a few caps while playing today, for once Im trying to keep some nice shots as I go.

sL7jd.jpg

xPb9H.jpg

8t5nI.jpg

e0AyM.jpg

6wEg8.jpg[

XTMSC.jpg

1LRBy.jpg

Significant other did both of our characters this time, usual plan; mild RP at character create for the appearance, not one single drip beyond! Only have char create ones of mine though, oddly, I guess you can't cap from cutscenes? Shame, hers looks nice with the big, grey cloak on the really cool little character she designed. Perfect looking Agent, IMO.

kmM5T.jpg
[/IMG]

Giolon

Is the "focus target modifier" hotkey thing broken or something?
I set my companion as my focus target, and they show up in the focus frame, and then I hold the default key (end) while casting a heal or something and it still casts on me.

You must enable "Enable Focus Target" in the UI options.

Sigfodr

Took a few caps while playing today, for once Im trying to keep some nice shots as I go.

(KaasKaasKaasKaasKaasKaasKaasKaasKaasKaasKaasKaasKaasKaasKaasKaas)

Significant other did both of our characters this time, usual plan; mild RP at character create for the appearance, not one single drip beyond! Only have char create ones of mine though, oddly, I guess you can't cap from cutscenes? Shame, hers looks nice with the big, grey cloak on the really cool little character she designed. Perfect looking Agent, IMO.

http://i.imgur.com/kmM5T.jpg

She looks awesome. I loved the Chiss race in beta, but had to play Republic in final. Here's my scoundrel, level 15. I know, Corso looks like crap. Really, my graphics leave much to be desired.

o1RCnl.jpg

I'm loving this game way too much, guys. I've not done anything on my computer that is not playing this game.

demolitio

This is the first subscription based game that makes me want to pay a monthly fee if I had money to spend on stuff other than healthcare because KOTOR was my first real RPG and the beta for TOR felt just like I expected it would for an MMO sequel to those games basically. Amazing stuff.

The day disability goes through is the day I play this! lol

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Alright, now that I'm level 19, on Taris, and still getting my butt handed to me, I have a few questions, if someone would be kind enough to answer :)

1) I'm a level 19 Jedi Knight - Sentinel. I typically force leap into battle, leg slash, and alternate as many master strikes as I can in between typical slashes. If there is a group around me, I'll force sweep as often as I can, and will give that priority over the master strike until sub-threats are defeated. I have little in the way of "buffs", and I use "Call on the Force" before a boss battle. I've been killed quite a bit, and am often the first to die in the few flashpoints I've done with others. Anyhoo, since I've never played an MMO before, I feel like I'm doing it all wrong. Tips?

2) I have yet to see a way to heal myself or others in my abilites ("P"). I'm assuming I just don't have such an ability, short of medpacks for myself. Am I correct?

3) How are people saving money? I'm using archeology, treasure hunting, and something else (forget the name) to make crystals usable in my saber. But, my companion tasks cost money, repairs cost money, medpacks cost money, etc, etc. At lvl 19, I have like $6K credits. And to think in six levels I'm supposed to have $40K for a speeder? No way.

4) Anyone else getting this weird effect on their trees during cutscenes? And only during cutscenes?

6536368755_928d1b3dc2_z.jpg

... any fixes?

THANK YOU!

Alex

I love this game to bits (I don't even really like Star Wars) but I'm still unsold on the concept of it monthly though. I've played MMO's for over a decade but I am so wary of them being able to properly update this thing with the quality of the content and the voice acting, etc. We'll see, them talking about capital ships and space exploration during the first updates or whatever did pique my interest. I don't plan on sticking around on monthly to raid, though. Hoping they have some gigantic expansions as well with big bursts of story content.

God the hair and beards in this game...so awful. The beards look like turds on my face.

I like the hair, beards are a bit odd though.

I just got my star ship, this thing is straight out of Mass Effect. I like the droid that was onboard as I obtained [/spoiler]stole it right out of the space port[/spoiler] as well and his reaction. :lol

Really, really enjoy the good elite content, it's nice to have group quests and the ilk again. I was really peeved when WoW's solution to aging and sparse grouping during leveling was to remove every god damn elite quest from the game. =/ I wish there were even more though for folks like me, like a straight up option to put the whole game in elite mode and player with friends for some perks.

FStop7

Banned
Hammerfall Station flashpoint was pretty fun.

Also - you just watch yourself. I have the death sentence on twelve systems!

ya2GB.jpg

Aeana

I cannot believe this game does not even have macros. I feel like it is much more work to do simple tasks than WoW and even Rift. I hope something comes of that news about them adding UI customization, and fast.

rakhir

I cannot believe this game does not even have macros. I feel like it is much more work to do simple tasks than WoW and even Rift. I hope something comes of that news about them adding UI customization, and fast.
That's the greatest problem for me - UI. Why can't i hide the unused buttons on my left and right column, use macros, see a bigger reminder i have my ability for free? I hope they will update UI a lot, i don't think they'll ever free it to mods...

Oh and i have a lot of problems with textures on models, they flicker, eyes turn metal-silver, faces turn all-black and ultimately whole npc models turn black during cutscenes.
I had driver antialiasing turned on, so that's maybe the reason - i'll check it out today.

Alex

I sort of hope any UI customization is more limited than WoW, I really hate the addon scene in WoW and how lazy it made Blizzard about core elements (they added wardrobe but not better unit frames...) and how every guild wanted you to have like several addons that the game was basically designed around at some points.

I would like simple ones though, like to be able to keybind without going into menus and a mail mod.

I didn't know it didnt have macros in yet, what the hell? I never really used much for macros in WoW beyond mouse over bits and a few convoluted things for arena and old world boss farming but yeesh.

Darklord

Banned
God, MMO communities are the fucking WORST. I've been playing for not even an hour and the chat is full of racism, 13 year olds saying shit to each other, flaming, abuse, just drivel. Sorry if this offends anyone but I hate playing with Americans, any time I do it's the same shit. Probably should have joined the GAF server but I like PVP. :(

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I sort of hope any UI customization is more limited than WoW, I really hate the addon scene in WoW and how lazy it made Blizzard about core elements (they added wardrobe but not better unit frames...) and how every guild wanted you to have like several addons that the game was basically designed around at some points.

I would like simple ones though, like to be able to keybind without going into menus and a mail mod.

I didn't know it didnt have macros in yet, what the hell? I never really used much for macros in WoW beyond mouse over bits and a few convoluted things for arena and old world boss farming but yeesh.

Less features is always a good thing right?

Right guys?

FStop7

Banned
Every time I see a server with an hour+ queue time I think, "lol nerds" because the server names are usually either super "badass" or a popular SW reference.

Edit: Dark Reaper im looking at you

Come on over to Infinite Empire, the water's fine. I have yet to see a queue. The amount of stupidity in chat has been fairly low, too. The most annoying thing is the endless stream of "arrow to the knee" jokes.

About the UI - I am a very casual MMO player but having only 0-9 for hotkeys is really cramping my style. I've already got more usable abilities and casts than I have keys to assign, and that's not even including the commands for my companion.

I'm also having some trouble with targeting.

rakhir

Might be a stupid question but how can I see what upgrades I have for my ship?
Character screen, bookmark on the bottom - doesn't show up sometimes, i don't know why.

I really want mouseover casting for healing at the minimum. Fullblown clickcasting would be even better.
As a tank i hate that the unit frames don't have the 'target of target' option and all that tanking stuff, i only imagine how crappy is to heal with them.
About the UI - I am a very casual MMO player but having only 0-9 for hotkeys is really cramping my style. I've already got more usable abilities and casts than I have keys to assign, and that's not even including the commands for my companion.
You can show more bars through the options, four max, and assign every hotkey you want for them (i have everything right to wsad hotkeyed for example)

FStop7

Banned
You can show more bars through the options, four max, and assign every hotkey you want for them (i have everything right to wsad hotkeyed for example)

I'll have to mess around with it some more. I normally use two rows, I dropped it down to 1 for the screenshot. I think it's just a learning curve thing.

This is probably a silly question, but your appearance is completely based on your gear and changes as your gear does, right? As in, you can't equip a new head armor item and keep the style of your old one on your appearance.

Thoraxes

I got lucky and bought a new keyboard cause my old one broke: One with programmable macro keys. (A far cry from that old $5 keyboard I used for years).

Also, my consular's headgear is displayed underneath her hair :(

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
http://i.imgur.com/yoGn1.jpg[IMG]

My gunslinger wearing the armor he got from the Hammer Station FP and a dumb head brace...

Why are both so ugly? :([/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100707213953/reddeadredemption/images/d/d7/Man_with_No_Name.jpg

Space Clint

nataku

Ugh the mouse sens is so damn fast, even on the second to slowest setting.

The mouse is generally fine for me on really low settings. My biggest issue with it is when it randomly decides to act like I put the sensitivity on max for a second, causing my character/camera to spin like crazy.

2) I have yet to see a way to heal myself or others in my abilites ("P"). I'm assuming I just don't have such an ability, short of medpacks for myself. Am I correct?

3) How are people saving money? I'm using archeology, treasure hunting, and something else (forget the name) to make crystals usable in my saber. But, my companion tasks cost money, repairs cost money, medpacks cost money, etc, etc. At lvl 19, I have like $6K credits. And to think in six levels I'm supposed to have $40K for a speeder? No way.

2) Because the Sentinel is a DPS only AC, you won't be getting any other forms of heals. You're kinda stuck just resting between fights until you unlock a companion who can heal or use med kits.

3)Slicing is the key to making enough money to buy your speeder. Make your companions go on missions to get lockboxes anytime you are in game and are not using them. On average, you will make money on these missions and as you level slicing, the chance of getting more $ increases. I'm at ~300 and just opened a lockbox that netted me nearly $6000. As long as you are vigilant in sending out your companions when you aren't using them (during pvp, flashpoints, full groups, logging off, etc.) you'll break 40k in no time

Dina

I like space missions for what they are, btw. Quick mini-games while you travel from hub to hub. But what I don't like is they copying existing missions. I just did a space missions where we attacked an enemy space station, which was the same as the third space missions. Except with harder enemies with more hp. Besides that, down to the flight path and even the fucking background, it was exactly the same.

That just lazy. I realise that using the Space Station model once would be stupid, but at least change up the flight paths and the background textures. It took place somewhere else entirely, but still having the same suns and planets as background reeks.

Neverfade

The common bounty hunter headgear you get is a fucking crime against space fashion.

So my question... Can I buy some moddable Juggernaut gear from the commendation vendor, strip it, and rebuild it to have Aim and Endurance instead of Strength and Endurance, or is that Strength built into it?

Top Bottom