• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

The common bounty hunter headgear you get is a fucking crime against space fashion.

So my question... Can I buy some moddable Juggernaut gear from the commendation vendor, strip it, and rebuild it to have Aim and Endurance instead of Strength and Endurance, or is that Strength built into it?

I agree with you 100%, especially the pvp ones that makes it look like your head is wrapped in latex. Thank god for the "Hide Head Item" option. I believe you can repurpose sith warrior gear. I've heard of people doing it before with items with from the AH, haven't tried the commendations though. If you do try it, please let me know if it works

DodgerSan

Alright, now that I'm level 19, on Taris, and still getting my butt handed to me, I have a few questions, if someone would be kind enough to answer :)

1) I'm a level 19 Jedi Knight - Sentinel. I typically force leap into battle, leg slash, and alternate as many master strikes as I can in between typical slashes. If there is a group around me, I'll force sweep as often as I can, and will give that priority over the master strike until sub-threats are defeated. I have little in the way of "buffs", and I use "Call on the Force" before a boss battle. I've been killed quite a bit, and am often the first to die in the few flashpoints I've done with others. Anyhoo, since I've never played an MMO before, I feel like I'm doing it all wrong. Tips?

2) I have yet to see a way to heal myself or others in my abilites ("P"). I'm assuming I just don't have such an ability, short of medpacks for myself. Am I correct?

3) How are people saving money? I'm using archeology, treasure hunting, and something else (forget the name) to make crystals usable in my saber. But, my companion tasks cost money, repairs cost money, medpacks cost money, etc, etc. At lvl 19, I have like $6K credits. And to think in six levels I'm supposed to have $40K for a speeder? No way.

4) Anyone else getting this weird effect on their trees during cutscenes? And only during cutscenes?

6536368755_928d1b3dc2_z.jpg

... any fixes?

THANK YOU!

Can't answer the Jedi questions, but I do get flickering trees in cutscenes on Taris. I asked in chat last night and a lot of people are.

Mairu

I sort of hope any UI customization is more limited than WoW, I really hate the addon scene in WoW and how lazy it made Blizzard about core elements (they added wardrobe but not better unit frames...) and how every guild wanted you to have like several addons that the game was basically designed around at some points.

I would like simple ones though, like to be able to keybind without going into menus and a mail mod.

I didn't know it didnt have macros in yet, what the hell? I never really used much for macros in WoW beyond mouse over bits and a few convoluted things for arena and old world boss farming but yeesh.

I couldn't disagree more. The majority of the improvements to the Blizzard UI in WoW are basically things that add-ons used to do (and generally still do a better job). The UI in SWTOR is probably the worst part about it. I hope they make it extremely modifiable.

Got it yesterday, made a Sith Warrior and grew to lvl 8. I'm loving the game so far, but I tend to be more a solitary wolf than part of the pack, so I'm finding trouble to beat some missions.

I guess I'll have to team up.

rakhir

Can't answer the Jedi questions, but I do get flickering trees in cutscenes on Taris. I asked in chat last night and a lot of people are.
I have the same flickering, overall game is graphically very weird - lots of textures popping, textures missing on npcs etc
You don't really need a team on missions other then specifically designed for a group (and even '2' could be soloable if you overlevel them).

Filth

Yeah so I totally screwed up with my legacy name.

I saw some guy named malice and on the bottom said " the malice legacy " so I assumed it would just put whatever you chose underneath. So I picked my name filthy and now my name is lord filthy filthy :(

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

I saw some guy named malice and on the bottom said " the malice legacy " so I assumed it would just put whatever you chose underneath. So I picked my name filthy and now my name is lord filthy filthy :(
"You will kneel before Lord Filthy Filthy!"

Moaradin

Oh for fuck sakes. I peak at the SWTOR general forums for less than a second and I get spoiled on my class story.

Fucking douchebags I swear.

Kinan

Got it yesterday, made a Sith Warrior and grew to lvl 8. I'm loving the game so far, but I tend to be more a solitary wolf than part of the pack, so I'm finding trouble to beat some missions.

Just wait until you get a companion around lvl9-10. All solo missions will be doable after that.
You'll need to team up for Heroics though, of course.

Alex

Less features is always a good thing right?

Right guys?

You mean how WoW has had miserable unit frames, among other things, for years because jank mods that come and go handle the problem? =/ Blizzard has done a really iffy job on their UI, they've added a few slapdash systems due to extreme pile on where they *have* to, but little else. Most of the core game systems are still behind the curve.

I like having a few simple mods, I don't like the feeling that I should required to suites or systems that I need to maintain, match version numbers on and all other sorts of issues we've had on the past just to raid/preform well, which you typically have to do in WoW at some point. If they want to open it up for this game I am very fine with it, I already said as much, I just don't want the door to be so open and development of necessary upgrades to be (further, no macros wtf?) behind the curve. Quality of life and tweaks are great, logging on on patch day and spending two hours on your broken mods/waiting for updates to pop so you can play properly isn't.

Darklord

Banned
Being a light-side Bounty Hunter is bullshit. I can't do it. I wanted to go light because I also do that the first play through of a game but the dark side choices feel so much more natural for that class. If you go a BH in a star wars game, you gotta be bad.

You mean how WoW has had a shit busted unit frame system for seven years because jank mods that come and go handle the problem? =/

Blizzard has done a really iffy job on their UI, they've added a few slapdash systems due to extreme pile on where they *have* to, but little else. Most of the core game systems are still behind the curve.

I like having a few simple mods, I don't like the feeling that I should required to suites or systems that I need to maintain, match version numbers on and all other sorts of issues we've had on the past just to raid well, which you typically have to do in WoW. If they want to open it up for this game, im fine with it, I already said as much, I just don't want the door to be so open and development of necessary upgrades to be behind the curve.

You don't stop being behind the curve just because you don't allow a curve. The UI is less functional than WoW's current default UI, but it's OK because... lack of mods keeps you from noticing how much you're missing? That's some funky logic right there.

that's gangsta

Alex

You don't stop being behind the curve just because you don't allow a curve. The UI is less functional than WoW's current default UI, but it's OK because... lack of mods keeps you from noticing how much you're missing? That's some funky logic right there.

...but I didn't say that at all? And I keep saying I'm cool with mods, so really chill out, I just want ones with less power and less importance in the grand scheme.

TOR is surely behind WoW in it's core UI, it doesn't even have macros which is really lame, but there's also a lot of quirks to it I like in general and I'd like to see them develop their healing and end game around their own systems than mods.

Moaradin

Some pictures of my lightside Imperial Agent and her armor.

jbeBJMAnm5tb1s.png

jb2dqixmRzXD4K.png

j7CsPxI6QyXhw.png

I liked Balmorra a lot but it's such a long world. It also doesn't help that by the time you are finished with your class quest there, it will actually give you some bonus quest on the other half of the world.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Is that rain??!

Gah! I love rain in games! Will I see anything like that as a JK?

Zeal

Banned
Seeing a lot of female characters on my server.

Which...yeah, just means guys still love playing female characters for some reason.

Moaradin

Which...yeah, just means guys still love playing female characters for some reason.

I usually don't play female in any RPG but the female voice for IA was just so well done, and I didn't really like the male one, so I went with female. Fits very well.

Most of the guys look kind of bad too. At least until you get a cool helmet to cover up your ugly mug. The only one I think looks cool is the Zabrak. I wouldn't want to play a guy Twilek or Human.

mxgt

Banned

Male models are almost always shit in mmo's

This game is no exception.

The ass thing is a dumb reason, I roll characters purely based on how the models look

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Level 49! Couldn't hit 50 tonight, but I will tomorrow.

Damn!

I've had this since the first wave, and I'm only 19 :( Makes me feel like I'm falling behind. I probably won't hit level 50 for at least a month.

Sappy113

That's hilarious. I'd bow down before the mighty Lord Filthy Filthy if I ran into you in-game.

Ponti

I liked Balmorra a lot but it's such a long world. It also doesn't help that by the time you are finished with your class quest there, it will actually give you some bonus quest on the other half of the world.
Yep, it was dragging on a bit towards the end for me till I was heading back to my ship and got another 'bonus' quest. Now the completionist in me demands I go back and finish it... and I was really looking forward to leaving Balmorra :(

Level 49! Couldn't hit 50 tonight, but I will tomorrow.

You say that as if is a good thing.

I think I'm slightly over levelled, just starting Balmorra at almost lvl 20.

Not really. Balmore has plenty of epic zones. You will still have fun ;)

I never play female characters, but after the beta I thought the female voice acting and female replies were so much better for a Dark side character that I decided to go female. Last time I was female in an MMO was on a PvP AC server and I did that to try to stay alive longer :) TBH the "ass" argument doesn't really work. This is not some Asian MMO ;) Your ass will be covered by armor very soon.

Patryn

So my level 12 Trooper is currently showing his damage range as being 908-1020.

That can't be right.... can it? It certainly doesn't feel like he's doing that.

Or is it?

Morn

Banned
So how long before a theoretical space expansion?

I want to play it, but feel like it would be a better experience with that

They're probably rushing it into production for next Christmas with EA breathing down their necks to get it out as fast as possible.

EA: "You said there was space in this game."
BioWare: "There is..."
EA: "No there isn't. All you guys did was use a tunnel shooter engine, create a useless mini-game, and it's shit."
BioWare: "Our fans love it."
EA: "Your 'fans' also love Dragon Age II and use chemistry to figure out what Tali's sweat tastes like. Fix it now."

Darklord

Banned
Tried my first heroic area. Wow what a seriously shitty area. I ran in with 2 other people and there was nothing there. All of a sudden it spawns all these powerful enemies and kills us all. It did that 3 times.

Patryn

I didn't even realize what the 2+ meant next to the Heroic, so I, uh, accidentally ran all the Trooper Heroic quests solo.

Took a lot of exploiting the system (killing one enemy then running out of the aggro area of the others, heal up, rinse and repeat).

Kinan

I probably just suck at this, but does anyone else find the space mini game too hard? Cant finish the first mission, poor guy is getting killed always shortly before the end. :(

Are there any tricks I don't know? When do I get to upgrade my ship?

Interfectum

Wow the general chat in this game is horrid. So much racism... I've not seen in this bad since Halo 2. Is there a way to report people for this kind of thing? I know there is a report spam but does that send a chat log to the GMs?

I probably just suck at this, but does anyone else find the space mini game too hard? Cant finish the first mission, poor guy is getting killed always shortly before the end. :(

Are there any tricks I don't know? When do I get to upgrade my ship?

First one is not that bad, but the ones after it all get tougher and you need to upgrade your ship to do them. The space missions give pretty excellent XP rewards

Tried my first heroic area. Wow what a seriously shitty area. I ran in with 2 other people and there was nothing there. All of a sudden it spawns all these powerful enemies and kills us all. It did that 3 times.

Saving Face Heroic? Theres one that turns into a huge cluster fuck because whenever players click the button on the mission it summons a bunch of bad guys. Problemis other groups in the area come along and also press the button that summon more bad guys into the same area and you get a huge mess of people aggroing the wrong mobs and getting wiped. Theres several areas for players to go to try to space things out.

LowParry

Just about to hit level 35. Going back to finish up Aldaraan quests then back to Taris before moving onward. And since we're doing pics: (Geez, fraps sucks with pics. Go fig.)

tYDYq.jpg

I didn't even realize what the 2+ meant next to the Heroic, so I, uh, accidentally ran all the Trooper Heroic quests solo.

Took a lot of exploiting the system (killing one enemy then running out of the aggro area of the others, heal up, rinse and repeat).

So does the 2+ mean you should enter in with at least two other people? I haven't done a heroic area yet. Just one flashpoint.

I'm probably not going to get a chance to even play again until Wednesday night... :(

I'm on Tarro Blood and have had nothing but good experiences with the community, are most of the awful community comments coming from pvp servers?

So my question... Can I buy some moddable Juggernaut gear from the commendation vendor, strip it, and rebuild it to have Aim and Endurance instead of Strength and Endurance, or is that Strength built into it?

Yea you can mod gear from other classes, most of the gear is not class restricted outside of the type of armor (light, medium, heavy).

Dakota47

So does the 2+ mean you should enter in with at least two other people? I haven't done a heroic area yet. Just one flashpoint.

No, it means you have to enter with at least two people, including yourself. The difficulty seems to adapt to the number of players though. It's not like a 2+ heroic quest is easier with four people.

Stuart444

I would have made a guy if the models looked decent/better >_>

Currently both my JK and Sith Warrior are female (former is human, latter is the race with the horns, I forget it's name already >_< ).

Top Bottom