• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

LowParry

Ah, I forgot to mention. We were (I assume) the first ones on our server to down the Tatooine world boss. 8 of total and all ranged around the 30s. I tanked it. As long as the 100% armor debuff was taken off me, we did well. And got the kills. Wish I would of taken a screen shot. :(

Bazza

No, it means you have to enter with at least two people, including yourself. The difficulty seems to adapt to the number of players though. It's not like a 2+ heroic quest is easier with four people.

I don't think that's the case, im pretty sure i did one of the 2+ missions you get from the sith starting world solo, I didn't do it on my normal run through on the planet and went back later.

Like i said i may be wrong there was a little sleep deprivation over the weekend, racked up 40+ hours already since i got in the early access.

gatti-man

Hit lvl 20 last night and still loving it. Im suffering from mission overload though. By the time im done with the smaller missions Im over leveled for most of the heroic content!

Dakota47

Hit lvl 20 last night and still loving it. Im suffering from mission overload though. By the time im done with the smaller missions Im over leveled for most of the heroic content!

Just move on when you're ready. I stopped playing on Taris after I finished my class story missions and heroic stuff there. You might miss out on titles that way though by not finishing side-questlines.

Eh, don't think that's how that works exactly.

The former or the latter? Like I said, to me it seemed there was scaling. I could be wrong though.

Boogdud

Is that rain??!

Gah! I love rain in games! Will I see anything like that as a JK?

Not sure if you'll see anything like it as a JK, but yes, it's rain. Not only does it rain, but there is thunder and lightning as well. Pretty well done (much to my dog's chagrin).

Being a light-side Bounty Hunter is bullshit. I can't do it. I wanted to go light because I also do that the first play through of a game but the dark side choices feel so much more natural for that class. If you go a BH in a star wars game, you gotta be bad.

I'd be more okay with Dark choices if they all didn't boil down to "be a huge asshole".

Just move on when you're ready. I stopped playing on Taris after I finished my class story missions and heroic stuff there. You might miss out on titles that way though by not finishing side-questlines.

The former or the latter? Like I said, to me it seemed there was scaling. I could be wrong though.

You can go into those areas alone, and I've never seen any scaling. They are definitely easier with 4 players than 2 and 2 companions.

Hmm, so you can only pay with a Credit Card. Atleast with WoW you had the option of iDEAL or Direct Debit :(

Oh well, guess I'll need to buy time card tomorrow, sigh.

Dunlop

Loving PVP on my Bodyguard, or I would be if the f-ing raidframe issue would get fixed.

My frames only show the proper health in Alderaan, which is unfortunately something that pops like 1 in 10 times for me
LLShC.gif

having fun, but they really dropped the ball on the whole race/gear aspect.

They finally make a game where there are no racials so sky's the limit without people crying foul and all we have are palette swapped humanoids.
Also while standing in the waiting are for PVP or when doing a FP you get the horrible realization that you look like 99% of people who are within 10 levels of you in the same class.
Those are my major gripes, more in the fact that they had all the time in the world to implement this from scratch, now we will never see it (like the original WOW race models).

Ok, that and all the walking..walking..load screen..walking, new load screen..walking

AAARRG!!!

Orgun

If anyone else got fed up with the queues on ToFN and changes to Trayson Academy, look me up on the Empire side.

OrgunUK - 25 Sith Sorc.

Excko

I'm at work right now, so I can't check, but can you have an Empire character and a Republic character on the same server?

So... I always have a soft spot for MMO's, and really dig the visual of SWTOR, but I'm not still convinced about it.

Is the combat system wow-like or more action oriented a-la DCUO?
How much comitment does the game requires for end-game content, or even Heroic quests etc?

So... I always have a soft spot for MMO's, and really dig the visual of SWTOR, but I'm not still convinced about it.

How much comitment does the game requires for end-game content, or even Heroic quests etc?

Combat is wow like. End game content commitment is hard to say, the set up is similar to WoW in that regard but how it's going to turn out is tought to say as very few are doing end game yet

My girlfriend and I were playing this all weekend pretty solidly, and are a bit baffled by the roll system.

There seemed to be a huge disparity between her roll wins and mine, in that I was winning 2/3rds of the converation rolls and damn near all of the item rolls. We're playing together just the two of us, and with only two people the conversation system is a randomized roll for us as well.

Because of that disparity I'm getting the majority of the lewts, and my social level is rising a lot faster than hers. There's supposed to be something in place that gives roll bonuses to people who frequently lose the random rolls, but obviously that's not working well at all (or we've just seen three days straight of rotten luck for one of us).

Anyone else noticed this? Is it a known issue with the game in its prerelease state?

Dina

No, it means you have to enter with at least two people, including yourself. The difficulty seems to adapt to the number of players though. It's not like a 2+ heroic quest is easier with four people.

Are you sure about this? Doing a Heroic4 with 4 people seems a lot easier then doing Heroic2+ with 4.

So the pvp scaling seems ridiculous

woot #1 & 2 :) But yea they scale all the way up to 50 I think so that they don't have tiered pvp. Though lower level players are still at a disadvantage because they lack the number of skills higher level players have. I have started to notice that Sorcerers and Marauders seem much more viable in pvp after lvl 25 than before. Having trouble with them now :p

Blegh, can't be bothered buying game time cards all the time and I don't have a Credit Card. How safe is PayPal?

Paypal is good, only issue you may have is with setting up the account. If I recall correctly, it takes a few business days for them to verify that you do infact own your checking account. I made mine like 5 years back so I'm not sure if that has changed

So for those of you that have been playing; is this worth the subscription fee in any way, shape or form?

I'd say yes, I'm not too big on raiding and am picking this up to play through all the storylines. I loved KOTOR and even KOTOR 2 (blasphemy I know) and the dialog in game reminds me of those games. The companion mechanic is fun and allows you to solo for the most part. I'm surprised how much I like playing PVP. Its a good way to level, get gear and money all at the same time and it breaks up all the questing. Be warned though that the combat is like a standard MMO, with a lot of killing monsters or finding things to bring back. This is a possible deal breaker for some people. I would suggest at least give this game a try for a month, join a GAF guild and there's someone on nearly all the time. Definitely helps to have a supportive community in the background when you need help

I'd say yes, I'm not too big on raiding and am picking this up to play through all the storylines. I loved KOTOR and even KOTOR 2 (blasphemy I know) and the dialog in game reminds me of those games. The companion mechanic is fun and allows you to solo for the most part. I'm surprised how much I like playing PVP. Its a good way to level, get gear and money all at the same time and it breaks up all the questing. Be warned though that the combat is like a standard MMO, with a lot of killing monsters or finding things to bring back. This is a possible deal breaker for some people. I would suggest at least give this game a try for a month, join a GAF guild and there's someone on nearly all the time. Definitely helps to have a supportive community in the background when you need help

Thanks, this is what I wanted to here; I love that pvp-ing levels you up. Can you skip out on the story-line completely and just go pvp? I've always wanted at least the option for that. Also, the combat gameplay looks a little more dynamic than WoW's, would that be an incorrect observation?

Thanks, this is what I wanted to here; I love that pvp-ing levels you up. Can you skip out on the story-line completely and just go pvp? I've always wanted at least the option for that. Also, the combat gameplay looks a little more dynamic than WoW's, would that be an incorrect observation?

You need to play through your class story line to progress in the game. You can level up your character and advance your abilities, but lot of the game is locked into the storyline and you are going to miss things like companion characters and not be able to progress at points without doing the story quests.

gatti-man

So for those of you that have been playing; is this worth the subscription fee in any way, shape or form?

Ask me in 30 days? Right now i feel its worth it. As long as im having fun it will be worth it imo. I should hit cap by the end of my first 30 days and start a republic character.

Also, just wanted to mention that the Flashpoints are really awesome and somewhat difficult too. Such a nice change of pace to have challenging group content while leveling.

Paypal is good, only issue you may have is with setting up the account. If I recall correctly, it takes a few business days for them to verify that you do infact own your checking account. I made mine like 5 years back so I'm not sure if that has changed

Yeah, it takes 2-4 business days for them to verify. Guess I'll buy a 2 month game card tomorrow, don't want to wait 3 days before I can start playing :p

They're probably rushing it into production for next Christmas with EA breathing down their necks to get it out as fast as possible.

Bioware: "We want space in this game."
EA: "There is..."
Bioware: "No there isn't. You guys gave us this shitty tunnel shooter engine, so we had to create a useless mini-game, and it's shit."
EA: "Your fans love it."
Bioware: "Our 'fans' also love Dragon Age II and use chemistry to figure out what Tali's sweat tastes like."

A bit more accurate.

Surprisingly I'm having fun too. I'm only level 10 (Sith Assassin) right now but its pretty fun. I love how interactive the quests are. That alone makes a whole lot of difference, IMO. You feel much more integrated into the game than just reading quest texts.

I don't like the fact that zones are instanced. Takes away from making the world feel massive. Is it like that throughout the game or just the first few zones?

I don't believe you can skip the storyline but I believe you can skip the side stuff. One downside with the current pvp system is that it seems like the servers are Empire heavy so at times you'll be waiting around for the other team to queue up. Idk about whether the combat is more dynamic but there are some interesting systems. BH have a heat system, kinda of like a reverse mana bar. Your skills generate heat and when you top out you can only use your basic attack. Heat dissipates by itself over time but will fall faster the less you have. For the other classes I'd ask others to chime in.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Haven't had a chance to fully play this since I got it working. Holidays this week too and my copy is being delivered to my apartment Friday, yet I'll be at my parents starting Wednesday. :(

CzarTim

There is no title on Taris. The bonus quest line only gives you pants. Big waste of time unless you want to have an easy time in Nar Shaada.

moop1167

I know basically nothing about this game but had cash to spare so I just bought it... haven't played an MMO in years.

Is there a pure healer class? I am looking to be a healer this time around. Also, what PVP server should I join to play with all you gaffers?

Patryn

I know basically nothing about this game but had cash to spare so I just bought it... haven't played an MMO in years.

Is there a pure healer class? I am looking to be a healer this time around. Also, what PVP server should I join to play with all you gaffers?

GAF doesn't really seem to be on a PVP server. We're on Keller's Void, which is a PVE server. There's still organized PVP there, though. Just no involuntary stuff.

Healers are Sith sorcerer/Jedi Sage, IA Operative/Smuggler Scoundrel, or BH Mercenary/Trooper Commando. There's really no true Healing class, each one has 2 dps trees and 1 healing tree.

bill0527

I honestly believe that if people are so worried about end game they are going to miss the entire experience, or the entire point of the game.

We have to blame WoW for this mentality because it's all about end game end game end game and they give shit content to breeze through so that they can get you to end game as quickly as possible.

This game is all about the journey to get to end game. End game may be great or it may suck ass. I don't think anyone knows at this point unless they beta tested end game. Even then I'm sure a lot of stuff has been tuned and changed since.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I honestly believe that if people are so worried about end game they are going to miss the entire experience, or the entire point of the game.

We have to blame WoW for this mentality because it's all about end game end game end game and they give shit content to breeze through so that they can get you to end game as quickly as possible.

This game is all about the journey to get to end game. End game may be great or it may suck ass. I don't think anyone knows at this point unless they beta tested end game. Even then I'm sure a lot of stuff has been tuned and changed since.
I'm only level 18, but I'm really enjoying the story so far. Imperial Agent is awesome.

Patryn

Curious.... do the Imperial stories have the whole air of "We're so fucked" that the Republic stories seem to have? Because the Trooper storyline especially has this feeling of the Republic is just about to fall.

Curious.... do the Imperial stories have the whole air of "We're so fucked" that the Republic stories seem to have? Because the Trooper storyline especially has this feeling of the Republic is just about to fall.

Nope, most of the Empire stuff is "we are awesome and going to crush the Republic"

That is the setting:
Republic is rebuilding
Imperial is extending

I don't get that feeling as a Jedi Consular.

Actually, the Consular story is pretty damn good.

Top Bottom