• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

They have to unless they want 5-6 hour server queues by the end of this week.

They should raise the server caps, the game is running really well even at max capacity with huge waits to get on those servers. They should be able to put more people on each server just fine.

Though assume they are just going to put up a bunch of new servers tonight as the "solution"

Is there any place with a consolidated list of .ini tweaks?

I'm really confused by a lot of the graphics options, especially how turning textures to high makes distance objects look like shit and turning textures to low makes them look fine and close objects look like shit.

Hixx

I am loving my IA so much more than my Trooper. Though if that's anything to do with not having to deal with queues, I do not know. Hmm.

Only thing is that way too often my Snipe ability will just cancel itself and then when I repress it say 'that ability is not ready yet' so I'm sat like a knacker for a second or two. Same problem with my heal though it happens less often.

Random isn't even though, it's just random. Humans attempt to apply patterns to everything they observe but that doesn't mean those patterns aren't random. The problem with randomness is you get chances for odd results. EDIT: Wasn't trying to be rude BTW, just noticed this might come off a bit jerky. Not my intention!

There is definitively a system that improves your rolls when you lose, however. My friend and I were spectators in my GF's one inquisitor story mission that had a good six/seven dialogue choices; since it was her mission we don't actually get a choice and she won them all. The next group dialogue option I won with a 267 roll, and his next roll was a 278. Haven't seen any numbers that high since.
I didn't take it as jerky :) As a crypto buff random stuff is always a misnomer anyway as true randomness is actually quite a challenge to achieve. Three days worth of play is still not enough of a sample set to make a determination one way or another, I'm sure over thousands of rolls it will even out to something more palatable.

We saw a couple of staggeringly high numbers like that too, but as with that experience you describe it was definitely rare..

Ugh, got fucking locked out of my account. Shouldn't have been so impatient; I thought I was typing the most logical answer for one of the questions bu I guess not. They wouldn't ask you ones you didn't fill out, would they? How long does the account lock for, anyone know?

WarMacheen

Da fuck kinda shit is taking down a server during prime time. If they wanted to do preparatory maintenance they should have done it during the slow hours.

So down today, and weekly maintenance is Tuesday?

Darklord

Banned
Just got off my starting world and went through Black Talon with 2 others. That was a lot of fun. Better than any WoW instance in my opinion because of the story stuff.

The next 2 are apparently very light on story stuff though :(

They are still good with some more story like presentation than most MMO dungeons, BT just had more interesting world story connections with the whole crumbling cold war and guest appearance by Grand Masters, etc.

FStop7

Banned
I've done BT and Hammerfall Station - BT had way more story stuff. I would say it's a must. Hammerfall was fun but no real story content. I'd still recommend doing it because it is entertaining, but it's not that much different than a Heroic 4 quest in the regular world.

Also, it's weird to be talking to Dark Malgus as he briefs you on the flashpoint missions. He's the sinister silent badass in all the trailers, and then in the game he's downright chatty.

markatisu

Got my first taste of douche this weekend, I was on Ord Mantell just killing Savrip's. Was in the middle of slaying the Savrip Champion when a group request comes in, I told them I would help them (I was 5 levels higher) right after I finished killing the Champion.

I kill the Champion hit accept, then the guy tells me "well it would have been nice if you had come while we were being attacked, goodbye" and throws me out of the group

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just got off my starting world and went through Black Talon with 2 others. That was a lot of fun. Better than any WoW instance in my opinion because of the story stuff.
You can go back through BT and if you make different choices, parts of the mission will play out differently.

Also, it's weird to be talking to Dark Malgus as he briefs you on the flashpoint missions. He's the sinister silent badass in all the trailers, and then in the game he's downright chatty.

He had a few lines in the Return cutscene, and isn't he the narrator for the Deceived cutscene?

Hixx

Got my first taste of douche this weekend, I was on Ord Mantell just killing Savrip's. Was in the middle of slaying the Savrip Champion when a group request comes in, I told them I would help them (I was 5 levels higher) right after I finished killing the Champion.

I kill the Champion hit accept, then the guy tells me "well it would have been nice if you had come while we were being attacked, goodbye" and throws me out of the group

take his name down. kill him in the outlaw's den or whatever it's called.

There are already 3 names on the Hixx List.

JWong

Banned
Shit, wasted my credits on a mount when I got a free Digital Deluxe and the STAP.

Oh well, at least it was free. 8)

daedalius

Hmm, need to choose between Powetech Bounty Huntard and Sith Marauder I think, suggestions?

I know you don't want to hear it, but I really enjoyed my Enh. Shaman in WoW.

Well, Sith Marauder is definitely in the Enh Shaman realm with the dual wielding etc with Force powers.

I think I more enjoyed the variety of abilities open to me rather than just the DWing part, I actually prefer big 2 handed weapons ;)

JWong

Banned
Hmm, need to choose between Powetech Bounty Huntard and Sith Marauder I think, suggestions?

Well, Sith Marauder is definitely in the Enh Shaman realm with the dual wielding etc with Force powers.

Who's brilliant fucking idea was it to take the servers down during prime time?

I get that they want to have the launch go well, but is it a stretch for me to think that the people who would be picking up this game at launch are probably already playing it with early access?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly hope they get the servers all set up for launch..... I dont want queues for hours on end to get to my character....

erragal

I think I more enjoyed the variety of abilities open to me rather than just the DWing part, I actually prefer big 2 handed weapons ;)

Both classes have a nice variety of abilities available to them. Bounty Hunter doesn't use melee weapons; the melee combat for them is a lot of rocket punch, retractable blade, and point blank usage of ranged attacks. Marauder has Annihilation which is a bleed oriented tree (Short duration dot tree) and Carnage which is a more proc oriented melee tree including a windfury clone.

You can't really have the same tools that a shaman has, however. I will say that my favorite button to press is Q and it's only because that's what Force Charge is bound to (Bonus points for doing it out of midair) whereas BH's only get a charge if they're specced tank.

Who's brilliant fucking idea was it to take the servers down during prime time?

I get that they want to have the launch go well, but is it a stretch for me to think that the people who would be picking up this game at launch are probably already playing it with early access?

Why don't you look at this from a rational perspective instead of your frothing from the mouth mindset? Should they postpone maintenance til after launch? Or perhaps you think the people who work there should work through the middle of the night just to please you?

TheExodu5

Banned
I only got let in Friday evening. So I got to play this weekend, and I wanted to play tonight but not I can't, so yeah, this early access "bonus" has not been a terribly positive experience for me...not to mention the fact that I had to wait in queue for a few hours during the weekend on top of all that.

Why don't you look at this from a rational perspective instead of your frothing from the mouth mindset? Should they postpone maintenance til after launch? Or perhaps you think the people who work there should work through the middle of the night just to please you?

Yes, they absolutely should, at least tonight.

LowParry

So what's everyone's name?

I went with Zero. Getting my Legacy name, I ended up being Zero Hour. Guess it works. At least it sounds nice.

daedalius

Both classes have a nice variety of abilities available to them. Bounty Hunter doesn't use melee weapons; the melee combat for them is a lot of rocket punch, retractable blade, and point blank usage of ranged attacks. Marauder has Annihilation which is a bleed oriented tree (Short duration dot tree) and Carnage which is a more proc oriented melee tree including a windfury clone.

You can't really have the same tools that a shaman has, however. I will say that my favorite button to press is Q and it's only because that's what Force Charge is bound to (Bonus points for doing it out of midair) whereas BH's only get a charge if they're specced tank.

You may have just made my mind up for me ;)

Top Bottom