• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

WarMacheen

Thats a non-answer. Should they perform it at midnight RIGHT as the game launches?

How about last night at midnight, or the night before...Waiting until hours before the games launches to bring down the servers is dumb. They very well could have made the maintenance last night or in the wee hours this morning.

Alex

We duo'd Hammer Station last night, wasn't too bad, oddly the first boss gave the most challenge there. Really fun to be able to do stuff like that, although it kept parroting we should have a full group :lol

Patryn

So I logged out for a few minutes, and now when I try to log in, I just get the splash loading screen. Am I secretly in a queue and they're not showing that? Or is something else up?

Sent

So I logged out for a few minutes, and now when I try to log in, I just get the splash loading screen. Am I secretly in a queue and they're not showing that? Or is something else up?

Like we said on the other page the servers are lagged to hell for some people. I myself can't log back on I get the same splash loading screen. I couldn't even move anyway, but it was fine an hour ago.

My friend isn't lagging on the same server so it's weird.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=53647

People say it could be a Comcast thing. I have Comcast sooooo

I'm playing a jedi shadow reached lvl 35 just last night. I must say I'm having a great time with it. I'm currently spec'd kinetic combat since I plan to tank later on. The shadow is so versatile it's crazy. I am a tank that can stealth and mind maze ie sap. Combine that with a low cd on force speed along with blackout (gives super stealth for 8 seconds) I'm a super ninja.

I am....

FREAKING LOVING THIS GAME. Way too much actually. I haven't been this addicted to an MMO since WoW launch.. *sigh*

Getting
my ship as a smuggler after hunting down skavak for your first 18 levels is one of the best MMO moments ever. EVER. I had a huge grin on my face.

Lv 19 Smuggler. Gabryel

Aeana

Every time I get on a taxi, my character gets on an invisible taxi and just sits in place. I have to relog to fix it. And then it does it again the next time I get on a taxi.

Soroc

I've put in 30 hours in 2 1/2 days so I'm OK with it not being available tonight. But I'm going to try and get in at 12am just so I can put up some auctions and hopefully capitalize on some of the newer player base trying to max their crafting skills and/or companion love/hate stats.

I am....

FREAKING LOVING THIS GAME. Way too much actually. I haven't been this addicted to an MMO since WoW launch.. *sigh*

Getting
my ship as a smuggler after hunting down skavak for your first 18 levels is one of the best MMO moments ever. EVER. I had a huge grin on my face.

Lv 19 Smuggler. Gabryel

Couldn't agree more. Some serious serious addiction issues with this game non the likes since vanilla WoW. pretty crazy... I didn't think I'd ever get that hooked again, Yay!.... sorta lol

Ryan_

So how is the game? For those of you who have early access.

I'm looking for a nice MMO and it's been ages since I really had something that stuck.
(Like Vanilla WoW times).

Also, it's probably not smart to buy this just before the exams right?

mik83kuu

Banned
I really wish the queues get sorted out by tomorrow. I don't mind waiting 20 minutes, but slap an hour on top of that and I'm not playing.

So far I've played on a server sith no queues, but I want in on the GAF guild...

mik83kuu

Banned

I'm looking for a nice MMO and it's been ages since I really had something that stuck.

The only MMO I have ever stuck with more than a week is WoW and I'm seriously thinking this might turn into an addiction for me. I can't emphasize enough how much that means to me. I'm finally free of WoW! All this game has to give me is a few months to half a year so I'll get GW2 onthe side.

TheExodu5

Banned

It's pretty good as far as a launch day MMO goes. It's not blowing me away, but it definitely seems worth getting into, at least for the story elements. Not impressed by the classes or gameplay, though...kind of underwhelming. It's extremely by the books, only with less refinement than something like WoW.

Proper link to NYTimes Article (I wanted to read it!)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/19/arts/video-games/star-wars-the-old-republic-vs-world-of-warcraft-online.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=the%20old%20republic&st=cse

I think I'm interested in SWTOR because it's a new challenge. Even though there are similarities to WoW, I won't have mastered everything. There are new things to explore, new fiero moments to be had.

Compared to WoW where the opposite is true for me now - having multiple 85s, having raided at a high level (even if not in the current climate), having done Arena and BGs, having explored nearly every inch of the world. With WoW, I've pretty much mastered the game, and the only time there are new things to master, is with content patches or expansions.

SWTOR is a brand new universe, and that's exciting. And I think some of its "failings" harken back to the earlier WoW experience, pre-Cata at least. Which IMO was a little better.

Writing these comments not having played early access or beta. I screwed up with a beta invite not redeeming it in time :( My opinion may change when I actually do get a chance to experience it first hand.

Speaking of which - is there any word on trial accounts?

Emitan

Forget I don't like warrior type dudes, so I'm putting my Knight on hold for now. Working on a Consular, but not sure if I'm going to go Shadow Tank or Sage DPS. Either way, I'm not going to get too invested with her before returning to my Scoundrel.

FStop7

Banned
I tried and tried to get in and stay in with WoW and I never could. WoW has content for people who do raids and people who do PvP battlegrounds. It didn't have what I would call a consistent, overarching storyline. Nor did it have much content for solo questing other than "bring me 20 golden murloc testicles." SWTOR still has fetch quests but so far the # of items requested is usually lower and the drop rates are much higher compared to WoW. And there is a lot of solo content if you don't feel like partying up for the heroic quests or flashpoints at that particular moment.

Woorloog

Banned
GAF Empire on Freedon Nadd still open for recruits? =)

You mean NeoGAF Empire on Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU)? Sure as far as i'm concerned. Not touching that server until the queues are gone though... are they? Been playing JK on Eye of A-something for a few days now...

Alex

The leveling game in this is far more engaging than WoW's probably ever was, both from a gameplay and story/lore perspective, even back in WoW's vanilla when the world had a population and there were some actual reasons to group and explore.

I really like the way this is going so far with the story sharing/spectating, all of the heroic areas, the way crafting is setup and being able to meld a lot of content to our own terms. I'm just more interested in it as a co-op game than an MMO.

I'm not looking forward to cap though, I just don't want to raid anymore, so I hope they come up with something else as a serious form of progression in the future. And no, the answer to fix raiding isn't to bribe people who don't want to do it anymore back into it by making it ridiculously easy.

. Nor did it have much content for solo questing other than "bring me 20 golden murloc testicles." SWTOR still has fetch quests but so far the # of items requested is usually lower and the drop rates are much higher compared to WoW. And there is a lot of solo content if you don't feel like partying up for the heroic quests or flashpoints at that particular moment.

It has the same sort of filler quests but they're handled much better, is all. Leaving the conversations and presentation aside, there's just no (so far, for me) riding into an outpost and having to pick up a dozen !'s. Instead they cut the fat, give you ~3 or so ones that are meatier, or split into multiple evolving stages and it's just easier to manage and to find interest in.

Maybe this changes for the worse later on, but it makes the whole process feel more natural thus far.

border

The filler quests are made much worse by the fact that I have to sit and listen to minutes of dialogue for what amounts to "Collect 3 power convertors from mobs, bring them back to me." Dialogue and story choices seem largely pointless as well, but I feel obligated to keep up with them so I can gain companion points.

Since you often don't know whether a questgiver is giving you a true story-related quest or some single step mob-killing junk, you end up listening to a lot of crap you don't intend to.

I still think it was a mistake to have voice-acting for everything -- quest text would have been perfectly fine for less important stuff.

Aeana

The filler quests are made much worse by the fact that I have to sit and listen to minutes of dialogue for what amounts to "Collect 3 power convertors from mobs, bring them back to me." Dialogue and story choices seem largely pointless as well, but I feel obligated to keep up with them so I can gain companion points.

Since you often don't know whether a questgiver is giving you a true story-related quest or some single step mob-killing junk, you end up listening to a lot of crap you don't intend to.

I still think it was a mistake to have voice-acting for everything -- quest text would have been perfectly fine for less important stuff.

I do not agree and am very thankful to have everything voiced, as it keeps me more engaged.

Moaradin

The things that don't need to be voiced aren't voiced. There are bounty boards all over the place with quest that start off as a text. When a NPC is giving you a quest, it should be voiced.

Why don't you look at this from a rational perspective instead of your frothing from the mouth mindset? Should they postpone maintenance til after launch? Or perhaps you think the people who work there should work through the middle of the night just to please you?

No, they should have done this before hand. And it's not some frothing at the mouth mindset. Don't be a dick. They could have done this at ANY TIME during the early access phase. They could have done this at 11am this morning. Or 6am to 11am like WoW does.

Don't try to paint me like I'm being unreasonable about wanting to play a game I bought when I get home from work. You and your assumptions can get the fuck on with that bullshit.

mik83kuu

Banned
No, they should have done this before hand. And it's not some frothing at the mouth mindset. Don't be a dick. They could have done this at ANY TIME during the early access phase. They could have done this at 11am this morning. Or 6am to 11am like WoW does.

Don't try to paint me like I'm being unreasonable about wanting to play a game I bought when I get home from work. You and your assumptions can get the fuck on with that bullshit.

Entitlement is the bane of the Internets.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill

Protip: Subtitles and generous use of your spacebar.

I usually skip filler quest voices unless it's an interesting NPC.

mik83kuu

Banned
I love the fact that every conversation is voiced. For me it makes the filler quests seem less like filler and more like important missions. There is a problem however, since the cost of adding new quests is significantly higher that in other MMOs.

Top Bottom