• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Thoraxes

I like that they still have the filler, but that the filler is all of the secondary quests, so it's totally optional, and I still do them anyways.

Yes, because you made the point they should have done the maintenance on any other day but not when you are playing.

I've been playing since the early launch. Pointing out that doing server upkeep during prime time isn't entitlement. It's common sense. Their other server upkeep starts in the middle of the night. There's no reason they couldn't have done this at any other time besides the main time when most people will be logging on. It's not ridiculous to think this way. Nor is it entitlement. Don't be dense.

I think it would be kind of silly not to try and prepare your servers for the official launch of a baby MMO.

And it couldn't be done at any other time but 7pm? C'mon. It's not like I'm speaking a foreign language here. What I'm talking about isn't hard to understand. I'm not some entitled asshole by thinking that choosing an earlier time to start prepping the servers so you don't cut playing time out from all the people who already bought your game.

Jira

I do think that if they plan on having their regular maintenance times at 12 midnight PST they need to move that back to 3am PST as people are still playing at midnight.

Patryn

And it couldn't be done at any other time but 7pm? C'mon. It's not like I'm speaking a foreign language here. What I'm talking about isn't hard to understand.

They need to get ready for the launch. Odds are that they're going to increase server capacities, for one thing, to help avoid super ungodly queues. Last thing they need to is bad press on their launch about people not being able to play.

Thoraxes

And it couldn't be done at any other time but 7pm? C'mon. It's not like I'm speaking a foreign language here. What I'm talking about isn't hard to understand.
Oh I know. I think what you said works fine, but I just think that making sure the actual midnight release of the game is solid is more important than that, and appeasing Early Access participants. I'm sure there's a lot of people who couldn't have done the early release, not to mention people who are just going to start playing for the first time tonight, and with how it gets hammered, I just think that it's best to do it as close as possible to the release.

erragal

The filler quests are made much worse by the fact that I have to sit and listen to minutes of dialogue for what amounts to "Collect 3 power convertors from mobs, bring them back to me." Dialogue and story choices seem largely pointless as well, but I feel obligated to keep up with them so I can gain companion points.

Since you often don't know whether a questgiver is giving you a true story-related quest or some single step mob-killing junk, you end up listening to a lot of crap you don't intend to.

I still think it was a mistake to have voice-acting for everything -- quest text would have been perfectly fine for less important stuff.

Spacebar.

mik83kuu

Banned
I've been playing since the early launch. Pointing out that doing server upkeep during prime time isn't entitlement. It's common sense. Their other server upkeep starts in the middle of the night. There's no reason they couldn't have done this at any other time besides the main time when most people will be logging on. Don't be dense.
I guess I'm really dense, but are you suggesting you figured out their reason for this maintenance being during prime time? You're saying there could possibly be no good reason for it? It's either incompetence or maliciousness? You really should not ve arguing with me since i can barely hear you from your high horse.

Anyways. Good night everyone and let's hope tomorrow isn't a train wreck.

Won

I don't think Bioware has found the right balance for some of the voice acting stuff. Talking several minutes with Droids only to fix some random water pipes doesn't seem right. Even using the space bar to get through it suddenly turns into some kind of tedious work.

In other news, Scoundrel starts to kick some serious ass in PvP.

Emitan

I do not agree and am very thankful to have everything voiced, as it keeps me more engaged.

Agreed 110%. I could never make it past level 10 in WoW because I realized I was caring about the quest more than the designers. If non story quests didn't have voice acting I wouldn't like this game nearly as much.

Jira

I spacebar through everything that isn't my class quest/flashpoints because honestly the small single serving stories are hardly engaging enough to sit through IMO. Now the IA story on the otherhand is fantastic, I really love it so far.

Aeana

I don't think Bioware has found the right balance for some of the voice acting stuff. Talking several minutes with Droids only to fix some random water pipes doesn't seem right. Even using the space bar to get through it suddenly turns into some kind of tedious work.

In other news, Scoundrel starts to kick some serious ass in PvP.

I enjoyed the peculiar linguistic style of those droids quite a bit!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
And it couldn't be done at any other time but 7pm? C'mon. It's not like I'm speaking a foreign language here. What I'm talking about isn't hard to understand. I'm not some entitled asshole by thinking that choosing an earlier time to start prepping the servers so you don't cut playing time out from all the people who already bought your game.
There was downtime earlier in the week. I think it was Thursday night at midnight Pacific? If whatever work they need to do is time-sensitive enough that they have to do it as close to release as possible, the only other option to do it would have been this past Sunday night/Monday morning (assuming that's not too early for whatever they're planning).

I guess I'm really dense,
Obviously.

but are you suggesting you figured out their reason for this maintenance being during prime time?

It seems like they want to prep their servers for the load of new people. Which I understand, but at the same time, 7pm is PEAK time for players. Further, the people who are going to be showing up at a midnight launch are most likely already playing the game. If anything, I'd guess this downtime would be to beef up the servers for the people who are going to get this game for Christmas.

You're saying there could possibly be no good reason for it?

We already know the reason for it. It's the timing I'm questioning. Just like your logic is what I'm questioning when you seem to think that second guessing why they would do server upkeep during peak play time is something that people can't comment on or it makes them entitled.

It's either incompetence or maliciousness?
At this point I'd say it's more of an oversight than anything, but you feel free to think you know what the fuck it is I'm thinking and you can continue to be wrong.

You really should not ve arguing with me since i can barely hear you from your high horse.

No, the reason I shouldn't be arguing with you is because it's a waste of time. You already tried to paint me as some one who feels entitled because I questioned the action of a game company.

Soroc

So it's entitlement when I feel like I should be able to play a game I bought?

Really?

Really?? Do people understand what entitlement means? Yes you sound entitled.

You can't please everyone all at the same time in an MMO. There is going to be downtime, they have their reasons why its at a particular time. Yes you bought the game and will have plenty of hours to put into the game just not during those hours tonight. game isn't officially out until tomorrow and I'm sure you are going to get 100x your moneys worth out of the game if it clicks with you. (Which based on you flipping out over not being able to play tonight tells me its clicking with you :D )

Oh and on the topic of VA. I love it, even the smaller quests. I haven't skipped a single one yet. It definitely does make filler quests feel much less like filler to me. And I love the RNG party conversations, really adds a nice twist to see how others want things to play out and to hear the outcomes! I got some good laughs in Hammer Station last night on some of the dialogue choices people were picking.

border

The things that don't need to be voiced aren't voiced. There are bounty boards all over the place with quest that start off as a text. When a NPC is giving you a quest, it should be voiced.

Why does there need to be two minutes of dialogue explaining why I need to go kill 10 random mobs? Why does there need to be dialogue selection when every choice leads to the same outcome?

Spending time in the world is immersive. Listening to some NPC that I will never see again prattle on and on is not.

Moaradin

Why does there need to be two minutes of dialogue explaining why I need to go kill 10 random mobs? Why does there need to be dialogue selection when every choice leads to the same outcome?

Spending time in the world is immersive. Listening to some NPC that I will never see again prattle on and on is not.

Because listening to an old couple explaining why they need these power convertors and being able to interact with them is much more interesting with voice acting and dialogue choices.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

Can't you extend that argument to a lot of other games?

You can at least skip through it in this one if you want.

Patryn

It should also be remembered, that despite all of us playing this thing, it hasn't officially been "released." We've been playing because Bioware opened it up early for us.

So can you really complain that you can't access a game when you originally weren't going to be able to in the first place?

I spacebar through everything that isn't my class quest/flashpoints because honestly the small single serving stories are hardly engaging enough to sit through IMO. Now the IA story on the otherhand is fantastic, I really love it so far.

There are some gems though... like Duchess who sends you to go look for her soldiers.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm about halfway to dinging Lvl21. I wanted to be 20 before launch, so I'm satisfied :)

I hope to be 30 by Christmas; but from there it'll probably take me a good month or so for the following 20 levels.

Had a little fun with my personal dancer. It's usually a hit wherever I take it.

6540522005_f21ce3c9da_z.jpg

That said, I'm afraid I'm going to accidentally sell it :( It's just a regular inventory item. Anyway to "lock it" to your inventory?

Also, my mouse droid disappeared, and I forget how you "summon" it. Help, please?

Anyway, loving the game. Voice acting is wonderful, and put me in the camp of those who really enjoy it. Only complain I have right now is that Taris is a little *too* long-winded, IMO. I've been here for the last four levels, and I feel like I'm still only scratching the surface of the planet. I'm ready to move on...

It's not *JUST* maintenance. Think about the fact that the team working on the servers before launch will probably be a far larger team prepping for the floodgates. These guys have families and lives too and forcing them to come in at 4a in the morning because that's when you get to sleep is a bit self-centered in thought. Of couse it makes sense to do maintenance in off-hours, but there's no denying that this is not just "maintenance." They are prepping to launch their baby they've worked years on. Give them some slack.

Clott

A part of me really wants to play the new and shiny MMO, especially me being a fan of KOTOR, But anyone else feel like starting a super time sink right at the start of the new year isn't the best idea? I know I can get into it, I know I will have a good time. Is anyone really able to play something like this and still balance work/training/other hobbies/other games/sleep, while not falling behind your friends playing?

I know some of you guys simply negate sleep, but I have never bee one of those that functions doing that.

Because it gives at least some weight to the bullshit you're doing, making it seem less tedious (at least for me). I prefer the dialogue. I hated just clicking on NPCs in WoW, skipping text just to see what the quest requirements were without any context. It made everything feel like a chore instead of feeling like I'm actually doing something meaningful.

Patryn

A part of me really wants to play the new and shiny MMO, especially me being a fan of KOTOR, But anyone else feel like starting a super time sink right at the start of the new year isn't the best idea? I know I can get into it, I know I will have a good time. Is anyone really able to play something like this and still balance work/training/other hobbies/other games/sleep, while not falling behind your friends playing?

I know some of you guys simply negate sleep, but I have never bee one of those that functions doing that.

One advantage of TOR is that it has the companion system. They'll never replace working with other people, but ~90 percent of stuff is definitely soloable.

You just may need other people for Flashpoints and Heroic quests.

This is why I'm going to cancel my subscription when the school year starts back up. Would be too difficult to balance everything. I've been balancing everything thus far, but to be fair, I'm not currently working and just hanging with friends, reading and playing Dark Souls.

Carcetti

So it's entitlement when I feel like I should be able to play a game I bought?

Really?

Yes. (Have you played any other MMO? There's gonna be downtimes, even unplanned downtimes)

For one, world is pretty round, so your sweet honey maintenance times are gonna suck for anyone else on the other side of the globe EVERY maintenance.

For second, it's perfectly logical why they'd do maintenance on EST peak hours. They want a lighter load for the servers for the big wider release.

Azzurri

The Revanite quests and the Governor's quests on Balmorra are really good. Some of the side quests in this game have better stories than whole end game raids in some other MMOs.

The Best part of the Governor's quest is
fucking her

gatti-man

Yes you are because this is early access not some guaranteed paid time. Launch starts on the 20th. Dealwithit.gif

weeskwee

Banned
can you ever score with your companions? i'm playing an IA and this edgy bald companion girl of mine had a great response to a flirt comment of mine. but once i got my ship i didnt have an option to break in the bed with her. wtf.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Sent my companions on a 20 minute mission before logging off lol. Now I need to try and burn through Arkam City before I would never get to play it again

Sent

By the way playing with ALignment Choices off makes the game much more fun. You can guess what each decision is but sometimes it's not what you expect.

gillty

Banned
By the way playing with ALignment Choices off makes the game much more fun. You can guess what each decision is but sometimes it's not what you expect.
I hate all that shit, I wish I could turn it all off completely, stupid red/blue glow and companion allegiance increase indicators.

Duesy

I raced against the server maintenance to 50. Close call with 30 minutes to go! Glad to see the end of the consular story! Ilum is frustratingly hard.

Top Bottom