• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Moaradin

I hate all that shit, I wish I could turn it all off completely, stupid red/blue glow and companion allegiance increase indicators.

Pretty sure you can.

I use the 1-3 keys to pick my dialogue and it doesn't show what allegiance it is until the choice is made.

Bazza

I thought there used to be a "hood down" option. No clue why they removed it (if so)

It is there in the options under preferences, cant remember where as i wasn't looking for it at the time but that was only 30mins ago so it hasn't been removed.

It is there in the options under preferences, cant remember where as i wasn't looking for it at the time but that was only 30mins ago so it hasn't been removed.

No, that is headgear.

The hood is part of the chest piece. They are still going to add it.. eventually.

I dislike wearing a hood because it makes your character bald. my character has been wearing a hood for 15 levels in different color variations:(

Cystm

I'm pretty sure it does, I chose it and they walk off together and after she's like "what a wonderful day" or something like that.

My Dorky Jedi Knight tries to flirt all the time and get's shut down everytime.
They always respond: "Yeah... that's interesting" or something to that effect. It only worked once on Tython with the Twilek leader of one of the quest hubs.

I'm surprised there are quite a few 50s already, blimey. Any secrets on how you got there so fast?

Skip all story content. Yay!
-_-

Dina

What I'm missing the most is dual-spec. My fullblown tank spec just isn't cutting it in PvP and the tank-abilities in PvP are mildly useful at best. In the meantime I'm being destroyer by all these Sith Warriors and Inquisitors who just melt me. Especially when there's two I seem to drop in a heartbeat.

I don't know if automatically scaling everyone's PvP rating was the answer, but I sure wish I had the options of swapping into my PvP build if I wanted to.

EGG

Neo Member
And it couldn't be done at any other time but 7pm? C'mon. It's not like I'm speaking a foreign language here. What I'm talking about isn't hard to understand. I'm not some entitled asshole by thinking that choosing an earlier time to start prepping the servers so you don't cut playing time out from all the people who already bought your game.

Game doesn't officially release until tomorrow if you recall. All this extra time was just bonus... Quit crying please, you're embarrassing yourself.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I can't believe so many people are already lvl50. Gah, I'm only 20. Why am I so slow?! :(

KorrZ

I can't believe so many people are already lvl50. Gah, I'm only 20. Why am I so slow?! :(

Unfortunately actually listening to all the dialogue and story probably isn't the most efficient way to level :(. I'm only level 20 myself, but I'm enjoying myself immensely so it doesn't really matter :)

I've never really understood the desire to rush to level 50, especially before the game is out. Now you're stuck at level 50 with maybe being generous 10 others at your level with nothing to do but start a new character anyways -.-

gillty

Banned
Pretty sure you can.

I use the 1-3 keys to pick my dialogue and it doesn't show what allegiance it is until the choice is made.
You can turn off the indicators in the dialog wheel, but you can't turn off the huge +50 & Red/Blue glow that comes up after you make the choice, as far as I can tell.

AtomHeart

Neo Member
Skip all story content. Yay!
-_-

Mash that space bar son! I'm level 35 at the moment, imperial agent. Loving the story at the moment.

Btw for all those on EU Republic GAF I'll be joining you on there soon, my computer can't really handle the PVP side of things without getting 15fps so I'll be joining you guys in a couple weeks after I get a nice upgrade.

Anyone else get crazy memory leaks on Taris? After I did a few quests on there everything started to halt up and hitch every time an objective updated or I went on the map screen, absolutely horrible. Got straight off as soon as I did my class quests.

Emitan

ITT: Why does this game have to be so interesting? Fuck!

EDIT: My alts I made. God, why does the Trooper have to be so awesome? Might become the alt I level alongside my Scoundrel.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I've never really understood the desire to rush to level 50, especially before the game is out. Now you're stuck at level 50 with maybe being generous 10 others at your level with nothing to do but start a new character anyways -.-

Stuck at 50 and nothing to do but bitch really.

sangreal

The filler quests are made much worse by the fact that I have to sit and listen to minutes of dialogue for what amounts to "Collect 3 power convertors from mobs, bring them back to me." Dialogue and story choices seem largely pointless as well, but I feel obligated to keep up with them so I can gain companion points.

Since you often don't know whether a questgiver is giving you a true story-related quest or some single step mob-killing junk, you end up listening to a lot of crap you don't intend to.

I still think it was a mistake to have voice-acting for everything -- quest text would have been perfectly fine for less important stuff.

hit space? the story quests are in story instances though it's a weird distinction to me since those quests also boil down to kill this and collect that

I just got to level 24 before the servers went down. I got my speeder money already and then some thanks to slicing. I got over 90k now.
ujaSp.jpg

I don't have much hope for Keller's Void queue times with Alea Iacta Est ion there. They already have 2 guilds on the Empire side. They probably hit the cap on the first one or something. And they have a Republic guild on there too.

Duesy

I just read the subtitles instead of sitting there listening to the VA'ing. My played was 4 days and 55 minutes when I hit 50 and I started on the 13th.

Mash that space bar son! I'm level 35 at the moment, imperial agent. Loving the story at the moment.

Btw for all those on EU Republic GAF I'll be joining you on there soon, my computer can't really handle the PVP side of things without getting 15fps so I'll be joining you guys in a couple weeks after I get a nice upgrade.

Anyone else get crazy memory leaks on Taris? After I did a few quests on there everything started to halt up and hitch every time an objective updated or I went on the map screen, absolutely horrible. Got straight off as soon as I did my class quests.

It's known there's a huge thread on the forums about it. I was bugging out and raging because it got to the point when I opened my map my framerate would just take an absolute shit and I was like no way in hell is it my computer.

Turns out it has to do with the bonus quest and quest tracking. If you turn off quest tracking everything clears up.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The filler quests are made much worse by the fact that I have to sit and listen to minutes of dialogue for what amounts to "Collect 3 power convertors from mobs, bring them back to me." Dialogue and story choices seem largely pointless as well, but I feel obligated to keep up with them so I can gain companion points.

Since you often don't know whether a questgiver is giving you a true story-related quest or some single step mob-killing junk, you end up listening to a lot of crap you don't intend to.

I still think it was a mistake to have voice-acting for everything -- quest text would have been perfectly fine for less important stuff.

Wow, could not disagree more. The voice acting makes every quest seem more interesting. Especially when you're playing with someone else and you don't know how the conversation is going to go.

TekDragon

Banned

Makes perfect sense. SW:TOR, to my understand, doesn't have PvP brackets like every other serious MMO. You put the level 15's in there with the level 50's and, despite the boosts the 15's get, they don't get the massive bonuses from gear that the 50's do.

So basically it's free PvP reputation farming. You and your 10 level 50 buddies can curb stomp everything in PvP and farm huge amounts of points until everyone else finally catches up.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I've been playing since the early launch. Pointing out that doing server upkeep during prime time isn't entitlement. It's common sense. Their other server upkeep starts in the middle of the night. There's no reason they couldn't have done this at any other time besides the main time when most people will be logging on. It's not ridiculous to think this way. Nor is it entitlement. Don't be dense.

It makes perfect sense to do it this way. Early access started on the 13th, it ends a few hours before official launch. Then they actually launch. I don't get all the whining.

Wallach

Just finished up Taris before the servers went offline. Have found all the Datacrons so far up to Taris, and I kind of wish they weren't so fucking annoying to figure out. The last one took me like twenty minutes of walking in circles trying to figure out what the fuck they wanted from me.

I guess they don't expect you to finish the planets or something because I'm like one bar from 25 and just leaving Taris. It was recommended for 16-20 and I didn't set foot on the planet until I was three bars into 20 already. Haven't even done the flashpoint after Hammer Station yet (Athiss or whatever it is called).

On the plus side, the Scoundrel is just a fantastic class. Pretty satisfied so far with how the energy-based healing has worked; you've got quite a bit to consider (Pugnacity, Upper Hand, HoT stack and managing the energy gates) but it has a solid pay off when you get the hang of it. All the group content I've healed has gone swimmingly, and I can't wait to get my hands on Medpac Mastery and Emergency Medpac. It'll be so easy I'll fall asleep doing it.

Also, I'm quite enjoying the crew skills. I went with Biochem (with Bioanalysis and Diplomacy on the side) and I'm really pleased with how they designed crafting. You aren't leashed to some stupid world object so you can stare at a repeatedly filling bar, you actually get to work on your crafting while still getting to play the game. Once I get my hands on more companions, I'm going to be running a straight-up meth lab full-time.

AtomHeart

Neo Member
VZBv0.png

I'm wearing the generic PVP gear at the moment, excuse the horrible graphics settings I have on. 2GB of ram doesn't work well with this game. :(

Wow, could not disagree more. The voice acting makes every quest seem more interesting. Especially when you're playing with someone else and you don't know how the conversation is going to go.

Yep, agreed. I've only played it for a few hours but the voice acting + interaction makes the game much more immersion than reading quest texts.

To me, it helped a lot to disable the Alignment symbols in options, so I don't know what is light and what is dark side options. Obviously most answers are clear as night and day and many have 1 as light, 2 as neutral and 3 as dark. But sometimes you get into shifting deeper conversations were you are not always sure, and then it feels good to pick what feels right.

It quickly became a Alignment hunt for me otherwise, so that helped me enjoy it.

When it comes to Bioware games in general, it's not the plots I find interesting but the characters. That's why Mass Effect 2(outside of KOTOR) is perhaps the most intriguing game for me, from all of them, because it had great characters.

I think the Companions are lacking. I think they are great. I want to do so much more with them. They are like secondary player characters, and I think we should have direct influence over their looks. Being able to change everything about them.
I imagine collecting companions for my starship, like I am collecting my crew in Skies of Arcadia. You're creating a small super unit.
Companions don't have a lot to say. I wish you could just chat with them around the world and about stuff. Each companion also seem to only have one plot. But of course.. there are 40 companions. The average BW game has 6-10 party members, and it's funny how as they went from KOTOR > Jade Empire > Mass Effect, you can see how you can interact less and less with the companions. DA was then back to old school.

I don't have much hope for Keller's Void queue times with Alea Iacta Est ion there. They already have 2 guilds on the Empire side. They probably hit the cap on the first one or something. And they have a Republic guild on there too.

So between them, The Goons (Something Awful), and GAF, Keller's Void seems to be popular? Is it going to be like the Mal'Ganis of WoW?

Patryn

I think the voice acting has actually really helped me get attached to my trooper. I like his naive gung-ho spirit slowly turning more sarcastic and cynical.

Plus, it's fun to have Lassie from Psych running around with me making observations on things.

Game doesn't officially release until tomorrow if you recall. All this extra time was just bonus... Quit crying please, you're embarrassing yourself.

I'm not crying. Didn't mean to offend the server maintenence defense force. As I stated before, I think they could have done it at a better time. I made an observation. That's it. I didn't fuck your mother or kick your dog. The only people crying are people like you who seem so enraged that I made an observation. If you don't like what I have to say then stop replying and keep it moving.

HBroward

Keller's Void is probably in the top 15 servers, there are at least 10 that usually have worse queue times. Worst I have seen on KV is 40 minutes.

Moaradin

Worst queues are The Swiftsure. Coupled with the big guilds it has and it being the unofficial oceanic server, there has been up to 5 hour queues.

Hixx

So today I thought 'HEY. Let's rewrite your CV and print some off for after christmas.'

Then 9 hours of SWTOR happened. Fuck.

barnone

My i5 2500, 12gb RAM, and my GTX 570 can't seem to maintain a stable framerate. Even on medium, I chug in PVP warzones around 15-20 fps. Can anyone recommend some drivers?

You should see how long it takes to load, every time a quest sends me to a different planet I weep inside. Oh well, I'm upgrading to 8GB pretty soon.

im in the same boat as you, 2GB. you should see how long it takes to actually quit the game. it's mind boggling.

I think the worst is when i need to change instances to join a party. feels bad man.

My i5 2500, 12gb RAM, and my GTX 570 can't seem to maintain a stable framerate. Even on medium, I chug in PVP warzones around 15-20 fps. Can anyone recommend some drivers?

What kind of frame rates are you getting in heavily populated areas? I'm playing on high, and I think our specs are about the same. The frame rate seems to jump from 100fps a second down to 30-40 when on High, depending on where I'm looking.

Top Bottom