• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

DPsygnet

server down till launch...

but but but ... how will i make millions of credits by sending my companions on constant slicing mission before the 'fix' it T_T

vilmer_

Star Wars! You killed my gpu! Seriously, a basically brand new gtx 570 dead in the middle of an Esseles run :( Good thing I have a back up lol, this game is verrrry good.

I just got to level 24 before the servers went down. I got my speeder money already and then some thanks to slicing. I got over 90k now.
ujaSp.jpg

I don't have much hope for Keller's Void queue times with Alea Iacta Est ion there. They already have 2 guilds on the Empire side. They probably hit the cap on the first one or something. And they have a Republic guild on there too.

So slicing is the way to get loot?

Keller's Void is probably in the top 15 servers, there are at least 10 that usually have worse queue times. Worst I have seen on KV is 40 minutes.

That's nice to know for longevity of the GAF guilds at least. Being on low-pop servers is no fun and really takes away from the MMO experience.

sangreal

server down till launch...

but but but ... how will i make millions of credits by sending my companions on constant slicing mission before the 'fix' it T_T

I don't think they will 'fix' it. People complained constantly throughout the beta that slicing was unbalanced and they didn't do anything. That said, I don't think there is anything particularly broken with slicing. Yes, you can make a lot of cash doing it but to do so you're giving up either a crafting skill or a gathering skill necessary to craft. Further, I think the notion that slicing brings in huge amounts of money is skewed by the early economy and the low level of the characters. If anything is broken it is that there is no cap to how high your crew skills can go based on your character level. Therefore, you can be doing level 40-50 slicing missions when you're 15 and getting level 50 lockboxes with more credits than you can reasonably spend at your lower level. Finally, the early state of the game and the rapid leveling that brings creates a general lack of interest in crafted goods making slicing the clear winner in credit generation

KorrZ

I 50'd my Bounty Hunter today around 1pm.

Gotta love being on college winter break.

Yup! Today is my first day of winter break off college for the next 2.5 weeks! I'm definitely going to be level 50 before the end of this break :). EA picked a great time to release this game lol.

Djin1979

My i5 2500, 12gb RAM, and my GTX 570 can't seem to maintain a stable framerate. Even on medium, I chug in PVP warzones around 15-20 fps. Can anyone recommend some drivers?

i7, ATI 6770m, 8g here.

I used to play a bit on the beta, medium/high, average frame rate = 60

Now with the release, i run the game at 35/40 but i had to set everything on low, terrible performances... especially in my ship = 20 fps.

I don't understand how it's possible, the game looks and runs much worse.

JWong

Banned
Once I get my Legacy Name, I'm switching to IA Operative for healing. So many people begging for heals that it isn't funny.

Also, I do love stealh healers. Would work well with the stealth tank Sith Assassin.

bill0527

i7, ATI 6770m, 8g here.

I used to play a bit on the beta, medium/high, average frame rate = 60

Now with the release, i run the game at 35/40 but i had to set everything at low, terrible performances... especially in my ship = 20 fps.

I don't understand how it's possible, the game looks and runs much worse.

So weird reading these stories.

I'm running an i5 2500k @ stock speed, 8GB RAM, and a gtx 560ti. All settings maxed and AA forced through the .ini. I don't think I've ever dipped below 50fps and it's around 60fps most of the time. I'm running the latest nVidia drivers. It runs a lot better for me now than it did in beta.

Alex

4x AA killed my fps personally, 2x was just about right, 50 to 60 steady in basically everywhere. Hubs make me want an ssd though, as an MMO player I've wanted one for awhile but it never seems like a good time to bite.

GAAAAAAAH I DUNNO WHAT CLASS TO ROLL TOMORROW. HELL I CAN'T EVEN DECIDE WHETHER TO ROLL EMPIRE OR REPUBLIC. SHIT, TO MANY CHOICES TO MAKE AND SO LITTLE TIME.

I'm thinking going Sith Inquisitor > Assassin, but I haven't heard anything as far as their story goes, whether its good or bad. Hearing so many good things about the IA and Trooper's stories makes me want to roll one, but the play style just doesn't seem for me.

ugh.

HBroward

I'm running an i5 2500k @ stock speed, 8GB RAM, and a gtx 560ti. All settings maxed and AA forced through the .ini. I don't think I've ever dipped below 50fps and it's around 60fps most of the time. I'm running the latest nVidia drivers. It runs a lot better for me now than it did in beta.

I just built a computer for my brother with the same, and it runs great maxed out. Usually over 100fps from what I've seen.

FStop7

Banned
GAAAAAAAH I DUNNO WHAT CLASS TO ROLL TOMORROW. HELL I CAN'T EVEN DECIDE WHETHER TO ROLL EMPIRE OR REPUBLIC. SHIT, TO MANY CHOICES TO MAKE AND SO LITTLE TIME.

I'm thinking going Sith Inquisitor > Assassin, but I haven't heard anything as far as their story goes, whether its good or bad. Hearing so many good things about the IA and Trooper's stories makes me want to roll one, but the play style just doesn't seem for me.

ugh.

I am lvl 18 Sith Assassin. The story is basically "Go find these lost artifacts". "OK, now go find these other lost artifacts." Etc etc. It's tomb raider and I am the Sith Lara Croft.

Patryn

ugh.

It's funny. I really thought that the non-Jedi classes would end up being afterthoughts, but after playing my Consular, I went back to my Trooper and discovered that I really preferred playing as him.

Feels more connected and less self-righteous. Also a much better story hook.

Plus, it's enjoyable as hell to mortar a group of mobs and watch them all die.

Kind of wondering, though: Anyone else curious if they bring the servers up earlier than midnight? Hoping that maybe they'll open back up around 11:30.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

ugh.
Having only really played the Sith during beta, it took a little while getting used to IA but I'm loving it now. Rolling into cover to blast fools with sniper rifles and grenades is awesome fun.

Bazza

same set up as me and i haven't seen the FPS drop below 50, iv got v-sync on so i don't know how high it can go. Beta i had massive problems, the driver would stop responding and would reset causing the game to crash.

Hawk269

My i5 2500, 12gb RAM, and my GTX 570 can't seem to maintain a stable framerate. Even on medium, I chug in PVP warzones around 15-20 fps. Can anyone recommend some drivers?

Something is wrong then. No way you should be getting that performance. I am on a 2600, 8gigs of ram and a 580 and I am for the most 60fps and that is with forcing 8xaa in the game.

Alex

Bounty Hunter and Agent are both awesome, im doing BH coop with an agent and i like them both a lot. makes me think id actually like star wars on the whole if it wasn't all focused on the Force stuff. Hell, I'd kill for a full game based on the agent especially. Never happen, of course, gotta have glo sticks and preaching, but it's nice to dream.

One complaint I do have is while you can spectate most everything in a partners story, you can't seem to watch an occasional rare bit like a holo call or companion stuff in the cantinas. Yeah, yeah, chat in private, but I wanna eavesdrop!

So a question to you fellahs. I've never played an mmo, and I've seen what WoW can do to people. I don't really NEED something like that to take over my life, and I hate the idea of paying every month to play a game.

However, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I've played the hell out of Knights of the Old Republic 1&2 and loved them. Not to mention this game looks slick as hell and I'm dying to jump back into the SW universe (video-game wise)

Is it worth my time and money to get involved with The Old Republic??

Ningo

Empire has the better voice actors, atleast for the males. I tried rolling a smuggler and a trooper for 5 mins but can't stand their voices

neoemonk

Gah, you guys are all making the decision that much harder!

How is the bounty hunter story-line? Haven't heard much about it either.

I played bounty hunter to level 5, so keep that in mind, but I thought it was decent. Revenge story, more interesting than the tomb raider inquistor. That's the only other class I played, in a weekend beta.

sangreal

So a question to you fellahs. I've never played an mmo, and I've seen what WoW can do to people. I don't really NEED something like that to take over my life, and I hate the idea of paying every month to play a game.

However, I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I've played the hell out of Knights of the Old Republic 1&2 and loved them. Not to mention this game looks slick as hell and I'm dying to jump back into the SW universe (video-game wise)

The game works fine as a single player KOTOR experience IMO

inter

Did I read something about slicing getting "fixed?" I'll probably drop scavenging for it but don't want to if it's getting nerfed.

Patryn

TOR is my first MMO, so I think I'm in a position to say.

Does it play like KOTOR? Not really. It's within spitting distance, but the combat and abilities are handled completely differently.

However, you can totally treat this as a single-player game. The storyline is balanced in such a way that you can pretty much do all the "main" story missions solo, with the AI companions you gain.

I think it's probably worth the $60 initial purchase, that will give you a month. If you're like me, that should possibly be more than enough time to get everything you want out of the game. At that point you can quit. Or, if you're having fun, you can keep going.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

I'd say yes. If a particular class or storyline isn't really hooking you end by the end of the second planet, you can always try a different one.

KorrZ

I am lvl 18 Sith Assassin. The story is basically "Go find these lost artifacts". "OK, now go find these other lost artifacts." Etc etc. It's tomb raider and I am the Sith Lara Croft.

That's the over-arching goal but there's more to it than that. Some fun Sith politics and backstabbing going around. I'm really enjoying the Sith Assassin story line so far. The fact that I make all the Imperial Officers grovel before me and address me as their lord puts an evil grin on my face.

I played bounty hunter to level 5, so keep that in mind, but I thought it was decent. Revenge story, more interesting than the tomb raider inquistor. That's the only other class I played, in a weekend beta.

Inquisitor story line is awesome. I know its a lot of relic hunting but the plot behind everything you do is intertwined well.

FStop7

Banned

If you're new to MMOs it's a lot to take in. Abilities, crafting, badges/tokens, raiding, crew skills, etc. I mean I'm not trying to put you off, but even under the WoW model, which is very much on the accessible side of things compared to more complex MMOs such as EVE Online... SWTOR is still a lot to absorb for someone new to the genre. As your first MMO I would say you'd need to play more more than 1 month to even truly judge whether or not you like it.

On the bright side, you will level up to 10 quickly enough to where you'll be off your starting world in a day or so.

One difference I'm not so much in favor of is a lack of early exposure to high level players in SWTOR. One of the most amazing moments I've experienced in gaming was the first time my character set foot in Orgrimmar in WoW. I had done the first few quests in my starting area and then moved on to the proverbial big city to make my fortune. Walking into the city and seeing A) the crazy architecture, B) dragons' heads on pikes (from successful raids on Onyxia) and most of all C) the high level players with their glowing armor and weapons, skeletal demonic horses and similar stuff just blew my mind. In SWTOR, my arrival at the Sith capital of Kaas City was not nearly as eye popping. Yes, the city is grand and vast. But it wasn't densely populated and all of the other players were around the same level as me. I actually have yet to come across a fellow player higher than level 20. I get the impression that SWTOR keeps players much more segregated by level than WoW does, even players on the same side.

Thanks for the replies guys, good points to take into consideration. The idea of the single player being worth the money, with the potential to keep playing is pretty enticing.

Filth

Did you take a photograph of your monitor?

yes lol, i sent it to my friend through my phone cause he coudnt play until tonight / tomorrow. then i saw everyone posting pictures of their charatcers and i wanted to share :(

i play on max settings with aa set to x16 though lol.

Top Bottom