• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Wallach

Really enjoy this bug:

DCwFc.jpg

The Force seems to be keeping a particularly accurate track of my moral compass.

Alex

Thanks for the replies guys, good points to take into consideration. The idea of the single player being worth the money, with the potential to keep playing is pretty enticing.

Going to catch hell but I think highly polished games like WoW and this actually have flat out better game mechanics and design than the standard KOTOR games (wow is a bit too aged and easy now, but in retrospect). I certainly have had more fun doing dungeons and elite quests in this on my BH than I did with any of the actual game segments in most of either KOTOR.

KOTOR does have better pacing and cohesive design as a single player game though. TOR, being a big multiplayer game has to have more filler. A lot of the filler is still pretty engaging due to the bioware trappings and its compacted in a way that makes it more like KOTOR or other single player titles but it's still a balancing act between lore/filler missions and your class story missions.

I think it'd be plenty great as a single player game, but sixty bucks is a lot if you're unsure, could always wait for a price drop. Just speaking from my PoV, I really love the game thus far but without beta I probably would've waited myself.

I'm still gonna say though, if you can nab one friend to duo the game with or something, it really does make a tremendous coop game. It really lines up some good challenges and features that the solo focused leveling in recent MMOs have not and I appreciate it a lot.

Seeing how people can't keep stable framerates with a 570 I guess my internal hope of my 5450 rocking this game is dashed. Need to upgrade. Dear Santa.

Disregarding story, has anyone encountered anything that makes them feel completely compelled to stick with a specific character as their "main" right now? And I don't just mean sheer level count - levels are insignificant in the scheme of things.

Because for me in WoW at present, It's impossible for me to ever truly feel like I could migrate main characters with all the history that I have on my one specific guy. Not just memories, which are compelling, but all the Feats of Strength, and rare, irreplaceable (and otherwise removed from the game) mounts, pets and the like.

I'm compelled because he has rare stuff that you can't get anymore.

Just guessing, it's probably not a problem now, at launch, with all new content and nothing that is legacy, or has been removed (compared to 7 years of WoW). But as at least a mild completionist, it's hard to get over things like that.

KorrZ

Level 30 Sith assassin.

Lord Filthy
The Filthy Legacy

come at me bros.

You actually earn the title Lord eventually? :D:D That makes me very happy. I also love your characters helmet dude! Does it work with robes that have a hood? that would be very cool indeed.

FStop7

Banned
I just got to level 24 before the servers went down. I got my speeder money already and then some thanks to slicing. I got over 90k now.
ujaSp.jpg

I don't have much hope for Keller's Void queue times with Alea Iacta Est ion there. They already have 2 guilds on the Empire side. They probably hit the cap on the first one or something. And they have a Republic guild on there too.

Badass looking duder. What class?

Ferny

The flow of being able to craft while questing and chatting it up with guildies has me SWTOR crazy! I am loving the game so far and can't wait to see what's to come.

Patryn

Really enjoy this bug:

DCwFc.jpg

The Force seems to be keeping a particularly accurate track of my moral compass.

I see you also have the damage bug.

It seems to be adding a random number to the end of both ends of your damage rating.

Noticed it when I saw it claim my level 12 Trooper was doing between 904-1384 damage.

Meier

Joined the GAF guild on KV with a Jedi Sentinel. Got him up to level 12 today.. a lot of fun. Wish I had used slicing on my main who is a Merc on Canderous Ordo. I've got scavenging and underworld trading up to around 150 though so I feel like it'd be a waste to just give them up. Here's my main (level 20):

yDaHZ.jpg

MGHA

My bounty hunters eyes were brown, but 300 darkside points later they are beginning to turn yellow/orange. Creepy.

sangreal

My bounty hunters eyes were brown, but 300 darkside points later they are beginning to turn yellow/orange. Creepy.

I liked that my Sith's eyes turned from red to yellow (even though I could have just selected yellow), but then I turned from reddish-brown to white like MJ so I may have to turn the effect off.

Ugh I want to play this game so bad...

But the addiction is what I fear most :/, I broke the wow addiction years ago and NOW THIS!?

Help me Obi-wan Kenobi

HBroward

Seriously, just can't wait to play again. Have to try and catch up to Gyrs! My desire to experience every quest has lead to me being seriously over leveled for them and brought my leveling progression to a snail's pace. Gonna have to suck it up and jump to higher leveled content.

calder

Spent a solid part of my day at work figuring it out, but I've settled on a Jedi Consular for my first character, then maybe an Imp Agent or Bounty Hunter. I'll be going Shadow for my Jedi though, can't freaking wait!

Hmm, I was about to buy the game online through Origin but I see SWTOR.com is offline. When I buy it on Origin do I attach the account to my SWTOR account? I haven't bought anything on Origin before, and I only created the SWTOR.com account earlier today...

Ugh I want to play this game so bad...

But the addiction is what I fear most :/, I broke the wow addiction years ago and NOW THIS!?

Help me Obi-wan Kenobi

I'm glad I'm unemployed right now. Gonna collect unemployment, day drink and play SWTOR. It's only a matter of time until I'm back to the daily work grind.

calder

Oh one thing I was wondering today but didn't bother looking up - I'm assuming light/dark side choices impact your character but only to a point correct? It'd be incredibly cool if you could have a renegade Jedi who did evil so often he eventually turned to the Sith or vice versa, but I can't imagine they have that mechanic in the game. You'd need to leave your guild etc, it'd probably require a hefty quest chain and it may break something in the game I'm not thinking of, but damn would it be awesome.

I'd make an Imperial bounty hunter with a heart of gold who eventually realized he couldn't bear to continue doing evil. Total cheesy redemption storyline, but man it'd be fun. ;)

vilmer_

Seeing how people can't keep stable framerates with a 570 I guess my internal hope of my 5450 rocking this game is dashed. Need to upgrade. Dear Santa.

Before my 570 shit the bed earlier, I was getting very good framerates overall. I can't speak for the Warzones, as I haven't tried them yet, but I was getting 80-110 on average. The sudden dips in framerate I noticed was when the HDD was accessing new stuff. This was with shadows on low as well. Turning shadows to high drops the fps by a good 20, but it looks so much better.

Hawk269

yes lol, i sent it to my friend through my phone cause he coudnt play until tonight / tomorrow. then i saw everyone posting pictures of their charatcers and i wanted to share :(

i play on max settings with aa set to x16 though lol.

Do you see much difference between 8xaa versus 16xaa? I thought it only worked with 2, 4, 8xaa...never thought to try 16xaa.

Meier

I have had rock solid frame rate with a somewhat dated PC on low setting (haven't modified anything). I still think it looks pretty darn good even on low for what it's worth.

SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0
GIGABYTE GA-MA790GPT-UD3H AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor
8 GB of DDR3 (1600) RAM

I checked my FPS earlier and it was around 55 I think.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill

I'm running everything maxed out, with 8xAA. I don't think I've gone under 40fps yet. That's with a 580. If you're running a 570 you should be more than fine.

mik83kuu

Banned
How many hours is the maintenance supposed to take? Would love to wake up and roll a character on a gaffer realm before people login in masses.

usea

I'm still sailing on just my preorder code. Ordered from amazon and it probably won't arrive until the end of the week. Will there be a period where I can't play, between pre-order time and when my game arrives?

Wallach

I'm still sailing on just my preorder code. Ordered from amazon and it probably won't arrive until the end of the week. Will there be a period where I can't play, between pre-order time and when my game arrives?

Yeah, you have until the end of the 22nd I think. After that you'll have to wait until your code arrives.

Edit - It might be the start of the 22nd, I don't recall. It's in their FAQ.

Ningo

Wow, so apparently some people's CE's didn't have a cd-key in them.

Good luck to those of you who haven't got yours yet

HBroward

Wow, so apparently some people's CE's didn't have a cd-key in them.

Good luck to those of you who haven't got yours yet

Wow, I'm so glad mine was not missing. That would have been incredibly frustrating. Any word on the number potentially affected?

HBroward

There is a 48 hour grace period that begins at 12:01 EST, at the conclusion of which you will be locked out if your key has not been registered, and a subscription or time card applied.

HBroward

It's good to know they are on top of it at least then, if we are past the acknowledgement of an issue phase of the EA solution process.

Top Bottom