• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Wallach

I'm fiending to play right now. My character is a goodie Jedi who likes to flirt. But when confronted by Sith, I'm in full "swift death to evil" mode.

I extort aliens for credits, the extent of which I generally base off how stupid they look. Also I try and get in the pants of every character that at least looks like they have a vagina.

So we're pretty much doing the same thing, really.

calder

I had an ancient computer (Q6600, 4GB, 8800GTX) and it was servicable on low. Not great, but I could play and I got through the beta. Anyways, all I did was upgrade to a 560 GTX (not Ti) and I hit 60fps fine on high with AA on too.

I have a Q6600 overclocked to 3.0 GHz and a 1 gig GTX 460. I expect to have to turn shadows off probably but I'm pretty hopeful for a decent experience at ~30fps.

The venerable Q6600 has been a really good processor for me. Very glad I went with it however many years ago I bought this PC instead of the faster dual core.

Game is downloading between 3 and 5 MB/s, unless I get a touch of launch-day flu I doubt I'll be able to play tonight but tomorrow after work should be all set. :D
Oh man after typing that It went down to 1.7MB/s, I really need to stop staring at that installer.

Alex

Can anyone explain to me how this dark and light side armor stuff I keep hearing about works? Also, is it ever feasible to change your alignment if you wanted to do so?

I've really enjoyed the game so far.

I typically get 60fps (vsync on) except for a few spots. Senate tower, Space station...etc

Core i5 Quad
Radeon HD 6870
8GB Ram

I really am thinking about a good solid state drive when Windows 8 comes out.

Can anyone explain to me how this dark and light side armor stuff I keep hearing about works? Also, is it ever feasible to change your alignment if you wanted to do so?

It's possible to change. It's just going to be one hell of a grind to go from light v to dark v and vise versa.

Flashpoints are repeatable and offer ~100-200 light/dark points per run.

It would be 20,000 points to do a full switch

sangreal

It's possible to change. It's just going to be one hell of a grind to go from light v to dark v and vise versa.

Flashpoints are repeatable and offer ~100-200 light/dark points per run.

It would be 20,000 points to do a full switch

You can also pick up Diplomacy I believe

Anyways, to explain the armor -- certain equipment is restricted to your alignment level just like any other restriction. For example, at 1000 Dark Side points you hit Dark Side I. Some armor might be restricted to people who are at least Dark Side I. If you have 1000 dark side points and 100 light side points your net alignment would be 900 Dark Side points.

Wallach

Hey Wallach how is leveling up as Medicine anyway?

I'm actually a Scoundrel but I'm leveling as Sawbones. So far it is pretty great honestly, I have been able to solo all of the Heroic 2's except for a couple of the rakghoul ones on Taris (seriously rakghouls hit harder than anything I have seen in flashpoints up to level 25). It's not really slow with a companion, I just keep tabs on Corso's gear and it's still moving at a fast clip since you still get quite a bit of offense from the base Scoundrel skills. Once I get Emergency Medpac, not only will I not die I'll never even have to stop moving!

Hmm looking at Med Shield, not too useful, is it?

I kind of like Med Shield, but it too is definitely something that could be moved. Personally I'd keep Med Shield since it's something you're going to pop whenever you're in trouble (whether it's PvE or PvP) and increasing incoming HPS on top of the damage mitigation will go a decent ways to making it more likely for you to live through whatever caused you to pop it.

TheExodu5

Banned
With a 570, the framerate is rather disappointing at 1080p with AA on. Without AA, it's fine, but with AA, it will drop to 30-40 in some spots. Cave areas with heavy fog are the biggest culprit.

DTX3

Neo Member
i had planned the down server time by recording the season finale's of terra nova, dexter, and homeland to watch them all during the server down time. crap were they all good as hell and ran the whole 5 hours lol so now im ready for more swtor time :)

Cystm

I keep hearing people complaining about framerate here and in-game. No idea what is causing you guys issues with the specs you are posting.

I run:

1. Q6600 Proc OC'd to 3.2 Ghz
  2. 8 Gigs Kingston hyper-X 1600 Mhz RAM
  3. 560 Ti @ stock
  4. WD Cavier Blue 500 Gb HD(The most prominant bottleneck of my system)

And I have rock solid 60 FPS @ Max with AA forced.

Edit:
Server's up.

I'm in!

YES! In before that queue!

Thanks for the heads up!

sangreal

With a 570, the framerate is rather disappointing at 1080p with AA on. Without AA, it's fine, but with AA, it will drop to 30-40 in some spots. Cave areas with heavy fog are the biggest culprit.

I think the smoke in the tombs on Korriban is busted for pretty much everyone

Moaradin

That's weird. With a GTX 460 and 8x AA, I still have 60 fps in most areas, besides maybe the imperial fleet where all the players are bunched up.

barnone

Meh. I reinstalled the current nvidia drivers, and my 570 + 2500k stock are still underperforming. I am averaging 20 fps in the imperial fleet right now, on LOW with no AA.

Disappointing.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Meh. I reinstalled the current nvidia drivers, and my 570 + 2500k stock are still underperforming. I am averaging 20 fps in the imperial fleet right now, on LOW with no AA.

Disappointing.

something with your machine than, I run a 2500k + 570, both stock (for now), with everything on high, including trees, I never drop below 60 (seen it hit high 50s once), and generally I'm running 80ish, but as high as 100.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
12:05 eastern and anchorhead is sitting at a 700 person queue

I mean, I have work off tomorrow, but shit.

TheExodu5

Banned
Woops...look like my 570 does run it fine (well, besides the framedrops while loading areas).

I checked my Inspector settings, and there was 16x VCAA and transparency multisampling on. No idea how that happened.

barnone

something with your machine than, I run a 2500k + 570, both stock (for now), with everything on high, including trees, I never drop below 60 (seen it hit high 50s once), and generally I'm running 80ish, but as high as 100.

It must be so. I run BF3 Karkand maps really well so I'm not sure what I can do to up my FPS in TOR.

moop1167

Wow, you can't even attempt to force transparency supersampling in nvidia inspector... game slows down a lot, even with two GTX 580's.

TheExodu5

Banned
How is Mercenary as a DPS?

I rolled a Sith Juggernaught and want to roll a Bounter Hunter (because I enjoy the story)...but want something that can complement my tank, so Mercenary seems like the obvious choice.

Kronotech

So what classes are you guys not seeing much of (empire or republic)? I tend to go after the least played. Lack of tanks, healers, or dps?

TheExodu5

Banned
So what classes are you guys not seeing much of (empire or republic)? I tend to go after the least played. Lack of tanks, healers, or dps?

Sith Juggernaut and Sith Assassin are probably the least played I've seen on the Imperial side. Maybe Operative as well.

I'm not sure why so many people go Maurauder over Juggernaut...after my experience with WoW, I'll always take a hybrid over a pure class.

Top Bottom