• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Loginius

Sooo I read how everyone makes a fortune with slicing and decided to change from underworld-trading to slicing for now...

Now it shows 4 skills in my crew-skill window, underworld-trading (reset to 0) is still there together with slicing...

Bug or am I missing something?

Mastamind

Sooo I read how everyone makes a fortune with slicing and decided to change from underworld-trading to slicing for now...

Now it shows 4 skills in my crew-skill window, underworld-trading (reset to 0) is still there together with slicing...

Bug or am I missing something?

Restart the game, I occasionally get that when switching between characters with different crew skills. Restarting fixes it every time.

weeskwee

Banned
Eh... the voice acting / cinema scenes / moral choices put it leagues above WoW in terms of presentation. Also, the companion makes the gameplay feel more like Dragon Age / Kotor than WoW, IMO.

being that it's Star Wars done great by Bioware, It blows away WoW and any MMO for that matter. If you want to play a quality mmo, this IS the game to be playing right now. i'm too impressed to play anything else at the moment. pewpewpew!

Hari Seldon

What are the negatives to allowing people to transfer around for the first month? I have a crew of 3 IRL friends playing and we would be more than willing to transfer. Rather do it now than months from now when we are in a guild and the like.

RotBot

being that it's Star Wars done great by Bioware, It blows away WoW and any MMO for that matter. If you want to play a quality mmo, this IS the game to be playing right now. i'm too impressed to play anything else at the moment. pewpewpew!

Quest design is still at Burning Crusade level, though. There's none of the big scripted events or mini-boss fights from recent WoW expansions.

Hari Seldon

A large portion of this thread is about queues, more impressions would be nice. I realize it's a bit of a catch-22.

I'm level 18 and leaving the 2nd planet. I am in love with the single player part of this game. I have only done 1 flashpoint and it was great fun. Haven't done any PvP yet. I mean if you are interested in MMOs at all this game is worth picking up. Easily the best MMO since WoW, and in my opinion, better than WoW if you like a decent story. Probably not better than WoW if you like theorycrafting, raiding, and the e-sport arena stuff. But I am not a teenager and don't have time for that shit anyway.

Kud Dukan

Ok, thank you thought as much.
But I wont restart the game before tomorrow, waited 1,30h in queue to get in.

You should be able to log out of your character and log back in without having to wait in a queue. The other night I was able to switch characters just fine, even though there was at least a 1h30m queue to get into the server.

OTIX

What are the negatives to allowing people to transfer around for the first month? I have a crew of 3 IRL friends playing and we would be more than willing to transfer. Rather do it now than months from now when we are in a guild and the like.

The negative is that you would have to spend the manpower to implement that feature now. And also it would perhaps be harder to charge money for it in the future if it's free now.

It is a bunch of work that would have to be done probably most of all. At launch you got millions of people trying to play and suddenly while dealing with launch issues you got people left and right requesting server transfers. You will have entire guilds with hundreds of players in each constantly moving around and it does take work to do this, course why lot of companies will often charge for this. Games that offer free transfers are the ones that usually have problems and are trying to keep the players happy.

Launch day, way to early to start talking transfers.

My Sentintel after leaving Coruscant has become extra squishy.

This normal for all classes? Shit got hard yo.. :(
Yea it gets progressively difficult. They definitely balanced the solo game assuming you're making full use of your companion in combat. Specially when you get to mid game, elites become difficult.

border

I attached my account with the iOS security key with the assumption that I would deactivate it when my CE got in and then attach the physical one to it. Turns out there is no option to deactivate your security key (what if you lost your phone???). I contacted support on Thursday, only to have them respond with an email explaining what the security key is (no shit). When I replied with my situation again, they sent back the same god dammed email... *sigh*

If they are going to demand that you answer a security question every time you login from a new IP, what's the point of the Security Key anyway? It seems like that would kill 99% of the account hacking.

Gritesh

There is one plus to server queues. The game is immensly popular. Which speaks volumes right now because a strong launch means word of mouth and word of mouth means more sales and more sales means a successful mmo which will be supported and grow.

Very happy the game is the way it is. Since 2004 I have purchase new mmos when they launch only to abandon them two weeks later due to a generally poor experience.

This could be the new mmo I have been waiting for.

border

Even in the event you've been keylogged, all they get is your password. They won't be able to answer a security question when they attempt to login.

Even in the event you've been keylogged, all they get is your password. They won't be able to answer a security question when they attempt to login.

Depends on the user. It would affect me since my GF uses my computer to play too and when we switch between accounts and different systems we have answer the security question. Keylogger would be getting all my information

Carm

Question about companion equipment. My Sith Jugg is using Quinn, am I able to switch his gear around so he heals better or dps better?

Fonds

There is one plus to server queues. The game is immensly popular. Which speaks volumes right now because a strong launch means word of mouth and word of mouth means more sales and more sales means a successful mmo which will be supported and grow.

Very happy the game is the way it is. Since 2004 I have purchase new mmos when they launch only to abandon them two weeks later due to a generally poor experience.

This could be the new mmo I have been waiting for.

If the queues keep up like this for two weeks... it's a fail for me no matter how good the game is.

It's a shame though, as you've said I havent played a game that feels this solid since WoW released back in 2004.

erragal

Wanting to lock the servers to new people is no more selfish than demanding they be open to everyone. That said, locking the servers affects less people negatively than allowing people to roll wherever the fuck they want.

Also, nobody has the right to anything in the SWTOR servers. You don't know what a "right" is.

Err having them be open to everyone gives each individual the same options. It doesn't skew the ability to play with your friends in favor of individuals that decided to preorder and play early. Are you privy to some data source that tells you exactly how many people will be affected by what decisions are made? Otherwise the only reasonable, empathetic, and unselfish opinion is to give everyone the same choice to make. It's easy to fabricate the perception in your mind that it's 'better' to lock the servers when it would be beneficial to your position for that to happen. Unfortunately it is only a fabrication and I would rather wait in a digital line for two hours tonight than have someone else's game experience damaged because the server was locked up. It's distasteful.

I'm sorry I used a slightly incorrect word choice in my statement, you certainly understood the intent of my message even if the semantics were off. I should have used opportunity instead, my bad. Empathy and understanding would help you out a bit too.

Don't take my disagreement with this position as tacit approval of Bioware's handling of this situation. Pre-loading enormous community guilds always seemed like a terrible idea as you've committed yourself to those pre-assigned servers always being the focal point of new players for quite awhile.

I stayed away from this thread and any and all related information just to jump into this game blindly when it launched. Awesome is all I can say.

Anyone complaining about the waiting for playing... find an open server and login it is not the end of the world.

erragal

Question about companion equipment. My Sith Jugg is using Quinn, am I able to switch his gear around so he heals better or dps better?

Yes you can change his gear. Under the ccharacter menu (Where your equipment is at) there are tabs for your companion and your ship so you can change the gear there.

Quinn specifically is mostly a healer; he doesn't seem to get enough DPS abilities to really be functional in that role.

I stayed away from this thread and any and all related information just to jump into this game blindly when it launched. Awesome is all I can say.

Anyone complaining about the waiting for playing... find an open server and login it is not the end of the world.

Yea GF and I are just going to make one of our alts on an open server tonight if the wait is too long on our main server. I want to experience all the games storylines anyways so might as well start up an alt somewhere else for the heck of it.

Soroc

On Keller's Void, the Gaf Empire is a pretty active guild. The couple of time I've been on, I don't think I've seen the guild number dropped below 15 (and I was on until 3 EST last night).

Same with Republic GAF on Kellers Void. Really active guild. Always around 20+ people on.

jaaz

Who do I speak to about joining the GAF Republic guild on Keller's Void? I can never seem to find the peeps on the OP online.

I really love this game, so much, that I dusted off my retired Windows laptop to make sure I could play on my mini-vacation.

It'll be nice to be able to see/run it in high settings again, though! GAF Empire for life!

Soroc

My idea of hording all my mats and items for launch day AH has paid off. Last night I posted about 15k credits worth of AH posts and this morning I had 10k sitting in the mailbox. Added another 15k worth of posts hoping tonight I have around another 10-20k in the mailbox :)

Who do I speak to about joining the GAF Republic guild on Keller's Void? I can never seem to find the peeps on the OP online.

Jaaz, I won't be on until around 10pm EST tonight (depending on queues as well) but send me an ingame mail and I'll make sure you get added. My ingame name is: Osaka

taranatar

There never seems to be many players on Empire on TOFN Europe. Are you all leaving to lower pop servers?

also once you do get in new players don't forget to ask to join!

kitzkozan

I'm level 18 and leaving the 2nd planet. I am in love with the single player part of this game. I have only done 1 flashpoint and it was great fun. Haven't done any PvP yet. I mean if you are interested in MMOs at all this game is worth picking up. Easily the best MMO since WoW, and in my opinion, better than WoW if you like a decent story. Probably not better than WoW if you like theorycrafting, raiding, and the e-sport arena stuff. But I am not a teenager and don't have time for that shit anyway.

The fact that it's more about story along with hints of moral dilemma will probably be too much for most teens/ juvenile minded folks. This is both a good and bad thing, since it won't be as popular as WoW and also have a slightly better community. :p

The Journal of Gnost Dural that comes with the CE is really a damn good read. It has a ton of new fluff background that ties together all the Old Republic material, even pre Dark Horse comics stuff with new material. It's basically the fluff journal entry videos found on the official site, but with a lot of extra stuff added in to fill in various gaps, and also expanding on events mentioned in those videos.

Filth

The fact that it's more about story along with hints of moral dilemma will probably be too much for most teens/ juvenile minded folks. This is both a good and bad thing, since it won't be as popular as WoW and also have a slightly better community. :p

HA! I've been reading general chat all week. I don't want to be the one to tell you sorry.

Top Bottom