• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Hari Seldon

It has been a long time, but I seem to recall that when I first logged into WoW like 3 weeks after launch or so, it automatically recommended a server. Perhaps Bioware needs to patch this in quick in order to help spread out the new players.

Sent

valid, it should be a known quantity by this point that launch days are a shit show.

to be fair they have had more than enough time to prepare for this, and adjust taking into consideration the data they have from early access.

Oh it's gonna be fun for people who buy the game later today and get home only to find a 5 hour queue.

Tik-Tok

I'm not saying it's right, because it's definitely not, but how have all of you people complaining not learned in the past decade that for the first week or so, and specifically on the first day, you're hitting ridiculous queues.

And to talk about 'WAAAH I CAN'T PLAY A GAME I PAID FOR!!!' Get real. You know you're likely going to be playing this game for months on end theres gonna be lots of time for you to play.

This isn't your job you know.

Azzurri

I'm not saying it's right, because it's definitely not, but how have all of you people complaining not learned in the past decade that for the first week or so, and specifically on the first day, you're hitting ridiculous queues.

And to talk about 'WAAAH I CAN'T PLAY A GAME I PAID FOR!!!' Get real. You know you're likely going to be playing this game for months on end theres gonna be lots of time for you to play.

This isn't your job you know.

Hey, it might be for some.

You need to give people incentive to leave their server. They have to offer guild transfer (or cloning) to different servers and then give them some sort of gift for it. Credits, full rested XP, etc. They offered to clone characters onto different servers in WAR, but some people wanted to stay, some wanted to go. They have to do something to give people the impetus to leave and then cut that server off when enough people bite.

THIS can't be quoted enough.

RotBot

I thought the point of instanced planets was so there wouldn't need to be queues. Too many people on Hutta 1 and 2? Open up Hutta 3 and 4. Guess that's not the case.

Oh it's gonna be fun for people who buy the game later today and get home only to find a 5 hour queue.

Or they can simply pick one of the many available servers to play on that don't have a listed multi hour queue.

I thought the point of instanced planets was so there wouldn't need to be queues. Too many people on Hutta 1 and 2? Open up Hutta 3 and 4. Guess that's not the case.

Instances have nothing to do with queues, the servers have limits placed on them. With instancing you simply can't allow unlimited players to log onto a server, there is always a limit to how many players a server can hold. All they can do is allow more people in, but no matter what there has to be a limit in place to prevent server from going down to a crawl, or just crashing.

Previous

check out my new Swatch

Yeah, that works to a certain point, but when Hutta 3 & 4 get maxed and so on that design falls apart.

This thread is a mess of "Déjà vu" from WAR, Rift and Aion.

Are people going to finally learn, or we doomed to see this again when GW 2, Titan and other 2012 MMOs comes out ?

So I guess the "bringing up servers based on demand" hasn't quite panned out. Can't really blame people, I've been on a low pop on WoW for years and the options are shit. Without cross server options, the issues of being on a low(er) pop are only exacerbated.

Are people going to finally learn, or we doomed to see this again when GW 2, Titan and other 2012 MMOs comes out ?

A week ago people were already stating that there was going to be huge queues, and then game launches and *gasp* OMG WTF IS THIS?!

Outside of locking servers and forcing players to play on different servers, no MMO has been able to prevent this from happening when it had lot of interested players.

Stuart444

Can't say much about GW2 as we don't know how their servers are designed or if they have any plans to deal with this stuff before it gets out of hand.

Titan is the new Blizzard one right? If so they may have enough experience to deal with it.

Same with Funcom and The Secret World (although I have less faith in Funcom than I do in Blizzard)

daoster

So yesterday, I guess I encountered that shitty ass memory leak bug in Taris....the game hit single digit FPS's at some points (even in the freaking cut scenes), and it was damn near impossible to play =\

The funny thing is, the night before, I was playing in Taris and it ran fine, no problems, nada!

Fix this shit, Bioware!

Mastamind

Ffs i wish they would just lock the leading servers atleast for the first week of launch.thisismadnessimgoingouttonight

Then what happens when people cant join their friends? More people will complain on the forums. If you have a problem with the queue on the server why dont you reroll somewhere else?

Except you know, guilds and stuff.

If they were going into the game at launch with a pre set guild, they screwed themselves by not buying into the game ahead of time for early access.

Anyone who didn't expect this was dilusional, it has happened to every major MMO launch in the past decade. The only other option would be to have locked servers, which would still have caused the issue of players not being able to play with their guilds, and of course you have players who simply want to be with their friends and are not in guilds, they have just as much right as guild people to play where they want.

markatisu

So yesterday, I guess I encountered that shitty ass memory leak bug in Taris....the game hit single digit FPS's at some points (even in the freaking cut scenes), and it was damn near impossible to play =\

The funny thing is, the night before, I was playing in Taris and it ran fine, no problems, nada!

Fix this shit, Bioware!

Oh trust me given the number of threads in bad grammar and english on the SWTOR forums they have to be aware of the Taris issue

Can't say much about GW2 as we don't know how their servers are designed or if they have any plans to deal with this stuff before it gets out of hand.

Titan is the new Blizzard one right? If so they may have enough experience to deal with it.

Same with Funcom and The Secret World (although I have less faith in Funcom than I do in Blizzard)

Secret World wont have the problems, because it's likely not going to be very big launch.

Then what happens when people cant join their friends? More people will complain on the forums. If you have a problem with the queue on the server why dont you reroll somewhere else?

That's not a solution. Many of us have already put a lot of time into characters on Keller's Void, etc. I'd be really surprised if anyone "rerolled".

OTIX

Hmm, just got home and it says only 10 min queue, it was 30 mins this morning. Looks like they have loosened the caps a bit. <3

CAW

Apologies if this has been asked or brought up, but has anyone who has purchased the digital deluxe version from Origin received their bonus DD items?

Honestly I think it will be. Blizzard has way more resources/experience. We'll see in 2-3 years.

All the resources and experience hasn't stopped them from having queues at launch for even their expansions. Unless they create magic server tech that allows unlimited people to play on a server, they are going to have these issues.

Bazza

Apologies if this has been asked or brought up, but has anyone who has purchased the digital deluxe version from Origin received their bonus DD items?

I have mine, i received an email from origin on the 16th sending my full product key, i entered that on the TOR website and when i next logged in i had an in-game mail with my digital deluxe goodies attached.

Honestly I think it will be. Blizzard has way more resources/experience. We'll see in 2-3 years.

Blizzard definitely has the stability and availability of hardware figured out nowadays. Rock solid stuff there, it's such a high standard for competition to contend with.

CAW

K, thanks guys. I entered the product code on the official site about three hours ago and still nothing. I'll wait a bit longer and maybe try to logout and back in.

edit: logged out and back in - there they are. Whew!

TimeKillr

Yeah there's a ton of new servers, but nobody wants to play on them. Heh.

I'm staring at the queue screen (says less than 20 mins, but it's been 10 and I'm not even halfway) and there's a HUUUGE list of "Light" servers.

It sucks that they can't just balance the load and instead of bringing new servers up they can't just add more horsepower to the ones they have. Not a lot of people want to be on low pop servers because their economy is typically horrid. :(

gatti-man

Thats why i said lock it for a week. Friends and guilds are severely overstated in arguments. We are talking about thousands and thousands of people here. Its more because people want to go where everyone else is. Locking it for a few days or a week would help sort out the newbies. People that really wanted to play are already in anyways which would be your guildies and peaple of that ilk.

Dakota47

Thats why i said lock it for a week. Friends and guilds are severely overstated in arguments. We are talking about thousands and thousands of people here. Its more because people want to go where everyone else is. Locking it for a few days or a week would help sort out the newbies. People that really wanted to play are already in anyways which would be your guildies and peaple of that ilk.

Stop making so much sense.

bill0527

Massive queue problems could have been avoided or at the very least, alleviated.

Early access servers that were Full should have been locked down at the end of early access. At least lock them down through the launch window.

Yes I know you have friends, and a guild, and blah blah and you want to play with them, but that's why you should have pre-ordered and done some pre-planning instead of waiting until retail launch day to jam up the early access servers. If you pre-ordered, you would have gotten a guaranteed slot on an early access server with your friends.

Now, I realize the early access servers had queue problems as well, but it would have been much more manageable to deal with those queues BEFORE they opened the floodgates to the general population.

Had they locked the servers you would have heard - Bu..Bu..Bu... its not fair, wah, wah, I want to play with my friends. Well, should have pre-ordered. Sorry. One of the pre-order bonuses should have been that you get a guaranteed slot on an early access server, which would then be locked during the launch window and not open to new player creation.

If you have such good friends, and you're a late comer, then you should all go roll on one of the new 'light' servers. I, along with many, many others, who beta tested, pre-ordered, and had early access in some cases since day 1, should not be punished because of it. We should not be the ones to have to go roll on a new server because we were here first and we have more invested in it than someone starting brand new today.

erragal

Massive queue problems could have been avoided or at the very least, alleviated.

Early access servers that were Full should have been locked down at the end of early access. At least lock them down through the launch window.

Yes I know you have friends, and a guild, and blah blah and you want to play with them, but that's why you should have pre-ordered and done some pre-planning instead of waiting until retail launch day to jam up the early access servers. If you pre-ordered, you would have gotten a guaranteed slot on an early access server with your friends.

Now, I realize the early access servers had queue problems as well, but it would have been much more manageable to deal with those queues BEFORE they opened the floodgates to the general population.

Had they locked the servers you would have heard - Bu..Bu..Bu... its not fair, wah, wah, I want to play with my friends. Well, should have pre-ordered. Sorry. One of the pre-order bonuses should have been that you get a guaranteed slot on an early access server, which would then be locked during the launch window and not open to new player creation.

If you have such good friends, and you're a late comer, then you should all go roll on one of the new 'light' servers. I, along with many, many others, who beta tested, pre-ordered, and had early access in some cases since day 1, should not be punished because of it. We should not be the ones to have to go roll on a new server because we were here first and we have more invested in it than someone starting brand new today.

Bu..bu..bu... it's not fair, wah wah I want to play RIGHT NOW and I made my character here FIRST. KEEP ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE AWAY FROM MY PLAYGROUND!!! IT'S MINE.

Well, you should have been up earlier. Sorry. One of the bonuses to waking up early is that you get in before the queue starts, which prevents too many random people from piling into a server. If a queue bothers you so much you should just take your friends and reroll.

-

Etc. etc. Anyone that wants servers locked to new people is selfish. You don't have anything invested because that time was free. You did not pay for it at all. Each new person has the right to play with any of their friends that are already on a server. You're also completely ignoring situations where one of a group of friends had early access and others may not have or MAYBE they had other real life obligations that prevented them from playing at the first moment. Or possibly they didn't preorder at all but once their friend tells them how much they enjoy the game they'll impulse buy it and want to join that friend on the server they're on.

Selfish, selfish, selfish. Not entitled...just selfish. That's all I see in this thread today, a ton of selfish people. Many of which I've seen complain about how bad 'official forums' are...well guess what you've turned this thread into the same level of absurd cognitive dissonance that exists all over the internet. Being anonymous doesn't make you any less of an awful person for putting your own desires above everyone else because it's 'more convenient'. You're not losing your life by waiting so other people can have the same level of fun that you can.

Empathy, get some.

Yeah i agree totally with that. Meh, my only complaint with the game so far is queues though, so I can live with that. Plus serves me right for playing on the Gaf server i guess lol. Lvl 14 Marauder and he is ridiculously fun to play.

how active is the GAF guild? tempted to reroll because the friends i rolled with aren't that active

On Keller's Void, the Gaf Empire is a pretty active guild. The couple of time I've been on, I don't think I've seen the guild number dropped below 15 (and I was on until 3 EST last night).

Philthy

Blizzard definitely has the stability and availability of hardware figured out nowadays. Rock solid stuff there, it's such a high standard for competition to contend with.

I dunno, it's been a while since I played, but I remember Wrath of the Lich King having queues for hours, and that was nearly six months after launch. I don't know how their current expansion is doing, but it would probably be safe to say online games can be overwhelmed no matter who is running the show. The devs will hopefully not just start adding a billion more servers because the current influx is too great. A month from now people will be deciding if they like the game or not, and the population will begin to drop. Overcompensating would mean servers with too few people and they will then have to merge them and the costs for all the extra equipment lost.

Interfectum

I like this game, I really do. But it IS WoW in space, no doubt about it.

Eh... the voice acting / cinema scenes / moral choices put it leagues above WoW in terms of presentation. Also, the companion makes the gameplay feel more like Dragon Age / Kotor than WoW, IMO.

CzarTim

I attached my account with the iOS security key with the assumption that I would deactivate it when my CE got in and then attach the physical one to it. Turns out there is no option to deactivate your security key (what if you lost your phone???). I contacted support on Thursday, only to have them respond with an email explaining what the security key is (no shit). When I replied with my situation again, they sent back the same god dammed email... *sigh*

FLEABttn

Banned
Etc. etc. Anyone that wants servers locked to new people is selfish. You don't have anything invested because that time was free. You did not pay for it at all. Each new person has the right to play with any of their friends that are already on a server. You're also completely ignoring situations where one of a group of friends had early access and others may not have or MAYBE they had other real life obligations that prevented them from playing at the first moment. Or possibly they didn't preorder at all but once their friend tells them how much they enjoy the game they'll impulse buy it and want to join that friend on the server they're on.

Wanting to lock the servers to new people is no more selfish than demanding they be open to everyone. That said, locking the servers affects less people negatively than allowing people to roll wherever the fuck they want.

Also, nobody has the right to anything in the SWTOR servers. You don't know what a "right" is.

I dunno, it's been a while since I played, but I remember Wrath of the Lich King having queues for hours, and that was nearly six months after launch. I don't know how their current expansion is doing, but it would probably be safe to say online games can be overwhelmed no matter who is running the show. The devs will hopefully not just start adding a billion more servers because the current influx is too great. A month from now people will be deciding if they like the game or not, and the population will begin to drop. Overcompensating would mean servers with too few people and they will then have to merge them and the costs for all the extra equipment lost.

Cat also had queues at launch as well.

Top Bottom