• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Fonds

Thats why you do it when you log off. You have multiple companions, you can only use one at a time. You have others doing crafting while you actually play the game so you don't just sit at a forge or such all day. Like EVE you just assign the tasks to be done while you do other things or while your logged off.

I know and I'm sending them out non stop. I still think the actual crafting takes a bit long though.
And it's hella expensive. I'm nearly almost out of money. Nobody wants to buy the shit I make.
Think I'll hoard up cash for the coming 3 levels so I can at least get my riding skill in time.

erragal

The actual crafting takes ages though. If I want to craft 5 blue quality gloves I have to wait for 7 minutes and 30 seconds for eacht glove. That's well over half an hour to go up like 10-15 skill points.
It's a bit excessive imho.

You're not supposed to just sit there and craft. You queue something up and go do a quest, log out, take a break etc. Considering later missions can take longer than an hour it's not an 'instant gratification' type of thing.

I know and I'm sending them out non stop. I still think the actual crafting takes a bit long though.
And it's hella expensive. I'm nearly almost out of money. Nobody wants to buy the shit I make.
Think I'll hoard up cash for the coming 3 levels so I can at least get my riding skill in time.

Slicing is your friend right now. :p

Oh, for those wondering, Splashpad is working great for crew skilling.

LowParry

Oh, and if anyone's missed or it's been mentioned before, store your crafting material in your cargo hold. You can still craft with your companions. Two cargo holds is a life saver.

Garryk

So they took the servers down for 5 hours and didn't take the lid off of server capacity? I hope EA doesn't make the same mistake they did with WAR and start offering server transfers. How were they not prepared for this? It's fucking Star Wars!!!

I will give them a pass for now because I love this game. Unlike WoW and EQ, I actually don't feel the impulse to grind to 50 ASAP. I'm listening to the conversations and taking my time. PvP is fun and crafting is interesting. After a week of early access I only got to 19 so I probably won't get to 50 until late January, but I'm alright with this.

They need to fix some stuff though: Groups shouldn't disband on leaving warzones, and you should be able to queue for specific warzones.

Clearly they couldn't perform simple math to see that the number of preorder's would of obviously caused severe queues like we are seeing.

There are enough server space for everyone, as with any MMO launch queues are caused by playes all going to the same servers or attempting to join the most populated ones since that is what they consider "popular".

So they took the servers down for 5 hours and didn't take the lid off of server capacity? I hope EA doesn't make the same mistake they did with WAR and start offering server transfers. How were they not prepared for this? It's fucking Star Wars!!!

I will give them a pass for now because I love this game. Unlike WoW and EQ, I actually don't feel the impulse to grind to 50 ASAP. I'm listening to the conversations and taking my time. PvP is fun and crafting is interesting. After a week of early access I only got to 19 so I probably won't get to 50 until late January, but I'm alright with this.

They need to fix some stuff though: Groups shouldn't disband on leaving warzones, and you should be able to queue for specific warzones.

They can't completely remove server caps. For all we know they did raise server caps, but it's not going to make queues especially at launch go away.

The only thing they can do to stop the queues from growing is to lock character creation on these full servers, but lot of people are against this for variety of reasons.

bounchfx

Didn't they say there would be no queues? It seems like there's a ton of them, before and now after launch.

serious question, not sure if I remember it correctly but I thought they said that.

Garryk

There are enough server space for everyone, as with any MMO launch queues are caused by playes all going to the same servers or attempting to join the most populated ones since that is what they consider "popular".

You need to give people incentive to leave their server. They have to offer guild transfer (or cloning) to different servers and then give them some sort of gift for it. Credits, full rested XP, etc. They offered to clone characters onto different servers in WAR, but some people wanted to stay, some wanted to go. They have to do something to give people the impetus to leave and then cut that server off when enough people bite.

Definity

Sitting in queue at 10AM et. 200 back. EA/Bioware better call the fire department later today because these servers are going to blow up.

You need to give people incentive to leave their server. They have to offer guild transfer (or cloning) to different servers and then give them some sort of gift for it. Credits, full rested XP, etc. They offered to clone characters onto different servers in WAR, but some people wanted to stay, some wanted to go. They have to do something to give people the impetus to leave and then cut that server off when enough people bite.

It's launch day, stuff like transfers are not going to happen right away and is not a good idea to be doing transfers of guild scale so early. Having incentives to roll on different servers would be a good thing to do, but lot of these things mentioned also were not available to other games till after launch, and in most cases they were designed around server faction imbalances. Allowing transfers and such early also will screw with faction population issues, they need to give the game time to see how things pan out before attempting to force the issue.

erragal

The next release MMO needs to just try a new strategy for filling their servers up: outright lie. Tell your players that the lightest population servers are actually really heavy and the heavy ones are really low population. You'll end up with people gravitating towards the high pop ones and it'll distribute the players evenly.

Artifical digital lines are not the answer, that's apparent.

Garryk

It's launch day, stuff like transfers are not going to happen right away and is not a good idea to be doing transfers of guild scale so early.

This is true. I would expect to hear some "services" being offered within the month. I haven't read what their goals are with faction balance. I would imagine they would have to hope for it consider there are PvP planets. I hope they don't try to pull some Tol Barad crap and limit the other side if the battle is unbalanced.

Tabs

Those brand new lightly populated servers look so enticing right now as I sit in this queue...but I'm not going to throw away a week of progress. Nor would I expect any of my friends on our server to want to start over either. I guess patience it is.

Sent

Those brand new lightly populated servers look so enticing right now as I sit in this queue...but I'm not going to throw away a week of progress. Nor would I expect any of my friends on our server to want to start over either. I guess patience it is.

I guess that's one problem with staggered early access?

Ephemeris

I'm on whatever server they put my tiny guild on. Nothing to do with popularity here. Queues later today are going to be madness if I'm already in one.

Pretty much. I certainly didn't choose the queues of Dark Reaper to play on myself.

OTIX

The next release MMO needs to just try a new strategy for filling their servers up: outright lie. Tell your players that the lightest population servers are actually really heavy and the heavy ones are really low population. You'll end up with people gravitating towards the high pop ones and it'll distribute the players evenly.

Artifical digital lines are not the answer, that's apparent.

I don't think that's the problem, seems that the original servers all have queues while the new servers are Light. So the problem is that they had way too few servers on day 1 and people are unwilling to abandon their characters to move to the new servers so they stay low pop. And presumably a lot of the new players have friends and guilds who are already on the original servers.

Right now they're basically playing chicken, keeping the caps down and queues up to push people onto the new servers but they can't keep it up forever or ppl will go crazy.

Think I've finally decided to roll a BH and then Inquisitor/Assassin after!

...Now to decide whether or not to roll on the GAF Empire server or choose one of the fresh, new ones...hmm

Sounds like entitlement. You shouldn't expect to be able to just log in and play something you paid for.

Sorry dude.

How are the queues on Helen's Hole?

Azzurri

Is server tech still so old that we still have server q's? I mean WOW had this over 7 years ago, I figured they would have figured something out.

markatisu

Is server tech still so old that we still have server q's? I mean WOW had this over 7 years ago, I figured they would have figured something out.

Nope, DC Online was even worse and that was one of the more recent releases. LOL @ the Bioware message boards that are just on fire with complaints over having to wait

Lombax

Banned
On launch day, no you should not

valid, it should be a known quantity by this point that launch days are a shit show.

to be fair they have had more than enough time to prepare for this, and adjust taking into consideration the data they have from early access.

Garryk

LOL @ the Bioware message boards that are just on fire with complaints over having to wait

Gotta do something with all that free time.

I also think that "launch day lols" are a thing of the past. WAR and Rift had pretty smooth launches and WoW has expansions running on day 1. Last time I had issues with launch day was in EQ2 (Echoes of Faydwer to be precise).

Top Bottom