• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

border

Just logged on to Keller's Void without any queue whatsoever. I dunno what you guys are complaining about :p

Is it just dumb luck that NeoGAF seems to have picked a server with no queue times and a strong presence from other large guilds (Alea Iacta Est, Goon Squad)? Or did someone do some research?

SLV

So gaf, I'm getting an MMO itch and all my old guildmates jumped ship to TOR. How does it hold up compared to WoW?

If actual story driven gaming is what you like, or would enjoy, then it is excellent when compared with the game that shall not be named !

FLEABttn

Banned
Otherwise the only reasonable, empathetic, and unselfish opinion is to give everyone the same choice to make.

Again though, this position isn't unselfish. Demanding to be able to roll on any server, regardless to the negative impact that community then has to deal with is a selfish act as well.

Pre-loading enormous community guilds always seemed like a terrible idea as you've committed yourself to those pre-assigned servers always being the focal point of new players for quite awhile.

Which is why you then prevent character creation on those servers for some time so that they aren't a focal point for new players. That's not to say they can't roll there later when the fervor has died down or that Bioware can't have have some sort of world pass fuction, but unless Bioware controls server populations with a heavy hand, there will always be imbalance that negatively impacts people who rolled on a server when such a problem did not exist.

Tacitus_

If actual story driven gaming is what you like, or would enjoy, then it is excellent when compared with the game that shall not be named !

Any opinion on the gameplay? The story seems allright from one spoilervid I've watched (the starting planet for Sith Inquisitor), but it isn't my main drive, it'll be my guildmates. I just want the gameplay to be at least around WoW-ish. The endgame is the real puzzle, but there can't be that much experience on it already, can there?

SLV

Any opinion on the gameplay? The story seems allright from one spoilervid I've watched (the starting planet for Sith Inquisitor), but it isn't my main drive, it'll be my guildmates. I just want the gameplay to be at least around WoW-ish. The endgame is the real puzzle, but there can't be that much experience on it already, can there?

Well, about gameplay, i don't think you will be dissapointed, it does a lot of thinks differently than the game that shall not be named, and better. The core gameplay mechanics are fluid and well executed in my opinion. Companions are on a whole different level as well :p

Interfectum

Feels like WoW mixed with KOTOR/DA. Combat has a bit more impact as there is no auto-attack to speak of.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wow, so apparently some people's CE's didn't have a cd-key in them.

Good luck to those of you who haven't got yours yet

So if you were keeping your CE sealed to sell it later, you might be fucked. And the only way to tell whether it is in there or not is to open it lol.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I've been playing and I have felt like TOR reminds me of Star Trek MMO for some reason. Then it hit me! Companions remind me of crew members in Star Trek, but with alot more personality and use. This game is a mix of alot of different MMO elements and I AM LOVING IT!

I have no idea whether or not I want to get this game. I haven't ever really played an MMO before--just a couple of 10 day trials of WoW, it didn't grab my attention--but I feel like I may want to play one. I haven't seen too much of the game before so I don't have much of an opinion on it so far. I kind of want to wait for the Giant Bomb quick look to see what it is like, but I just know they are going to be excessively negative about it (if Jeff is playing).

Is there anything you could show me that may give me a good impression on what the game is like or maybe convince me to get the game?

JWong

Banned
Just logged on to Keller's Void without any queue whatsoever. I dunno what you guys are complaining about :p

Is it just dumb luck that NeoGAF seems to have picked a server with no queue times and a strong presence from other large guilds (Alea Iacta Est, Goon Squad)? Or did someone do some research?

The servers were chosen for the premade guilds.

It was Bioware's method of alleviating server population, but guild placement wasn't mandatory though. It's still a good thing to do.

hgplayer1

Was home for lunch and decided to log in and craft a bit. What queue?

Will probably craft some gear for me companion tonight and do some PvP.

Interfectum

I have no idea whether or not I want to get this game. I haven't ever really played an MMO before--just a couple of 10 day trials of WoW, it didn't grab my attention--but I feel like I may want to play one. I haven't seen too much of the game before so I don't have much of an opinion on it so far. I kind of want to wait for the Giant Bomb quick look to see what it is like, but I just know they are going to be excessively negative about it (if Jeff is playing).

Is there anything you could show me that may give me a good impression on what the game is like or maybe convince me to get the game?

Don't listen to Jeff or Giant Bomb in general.

Did you play and enjoy Dragon Age, Mass Effect or KOTOR? If the answer is yes then you will find some enjoyment out of this. How much depends on how well you take to the MMO elements in the game.

Unlike WoW you get much more into the story in this game due to the fully voiced cinema scenes that begin/end your quests.

King_Moc

Banned
So, basically the people who've been looking forward to this for ages and preordered are getting queues, as they know that we are the ones who are fans will put up with more shit. Then the new players who didn't preorder and are probably more prone to giving up on the game have loads of fresh empty servers to pick from. So they just found a way to dump the launch MMO issues on the people who'd just live with it. Classy.

Jeff who bought a lifetime to Star Trek Online. Yea don't listen to tem on MMOs

So, basically the people who've been looking forward to this for ages and preordered are getting queues, as they know that we are the ones who are fans will put up with more shit. Then the new players who didn't preorder and are probably more prone to giving up on the game have loads of fresh empty servers to pick from. So they just found a way to dump the launch MMO issues on the people who'd just live with it. Classy.

That's quite a random theory

codhand

Eurogamer Italy
Dec 20, 2011
Star Wars: the Old Republic is a good MMORPG with lot of action and an awesome atmosphere. If you are tired of Azeroth, you´d better have a look at it. If you love Star Wars, well... get ready to say goodbye to your social life!

weeskwee

Banned
The game just came out today -- I'm not sure why you would expect time cards to be on sale anywhere. If you want a discount, commit to a 3/6/12 month subscription.

are they going to have discounted 3/6/12 month offers? i may just do that for this one. seems very worth it.

Are the high textures working yet? Because if the textures I've been looking at for the past week were actually the high ones. Gross.

They are higher for the most part from beta, especially after the bugged texture setting issue in beta. Some items have just very meh textures, but they did improve since beta, doubt you are going to see much better

markatisu

They are higher for the most part from beta, especially after the bugged texture setting issue in beta. Some items have just very meh textures, but they did improve since beta, doubt you are going to see much better

I just want the textures/assets I see in the cutscenes/interactive story to be used in the game

syoaran

Leveling on the imperial side has been great.

The fact that theres no grace period for disconnects or random crashes is not that great.

The 7hr queue in the evening is nonsensical at this stage. I know the launch is something great and I'm very happy that Bioware has got this game out; but the fact that the community team can't relay some hard fixes is fairly puzzling at this stage. The EU GAF server has been bad since the first day of early access, yet there are only blanket (and vague) responses about asking people to move.

There appears to be a lot of new servers now for English PvP, but its clear no-one wants to move themselves across and loose their progress (like any MMO released post WoW with queues ). I know I'm just the +1 on the whine about the queues, and I understand the logic behind any hasty response, but I'm very disappointed that I can't even play the game I bought, and feel like EA/Bioware are just running out the clock before fixing the issues at the end of the first 30 days...

JWong

Banned
But this game is KOTOR 3,4,5,6,7,8, and beyond. *waves hand in front of Billy*

Bounty Hunter Spoiler (best line I've heard so far)
*waves hand* You will realize what a complete idiot you are.

But, yeah, this is the next 8 KotOR games. They have to make KotOR 11.

The fresh factor for me is the full voiced questlines and decision system. I have played both KOTOR's but this in an MMO is full of win. I work strange hours so doing guild stuff was always on the back burner for me. I hope to see end game content when I get there eventually but they really did create an amazing game storyline wise especially for the three classes I have tried out so far.

I can only imagine it get's better.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Oh man, people are bitching now about the queues? They gonna shit themselves when the waits explode even longer tonight at peak time most likely.

erragal

Again though, this position isn't unselfish. Demanding to be able to roll on any server, regardless to the negative impact that community then has to deal with is a selfish act as well.

Which is why you then prevent character creation on those servers for some time so that they aren't a focal point for new players. That's not to say they can't roll there later when the fervor has died down or that Bioware can't have have some sort of world pass fuction, but unless Bioware controls server populations with a heavy hand, there will always be imbalance that negatively impacts people who rolled on a server when such a problem did not exist.

Your second paragraph blatantly shows your bias: "There will always be imbalance that negatively impacts people who rolled on a server when such a problem did not exist". You're only considering those individuals as a party that is capable of being negatively impacted. As long as that's the case you're not going to hear anything about fairness; you've already decided which group of people deserves the better game experience and the new group is making 'demands' while the early access group is being 'negatively impacted'.

Sorry you feel that way but authoritarian methods will never result in an equitable solution. Give individuals the ability to make their own value decisions (Is waiting worth being with my friends/at a certain level) and at least they're all on an equal playing field.

markatisu

Oh man, people are bitching now about the queues? They gonna shit themselves when the waits explode even longer tonight at peak time most likely.

Yup I plan to avoid the net tonight, I can take a day off SWTOR because people are going to lose their damn minds if a 40m-1hr queue made them want to burn down Biowares offices

FLEABttn

Banned
You're only considering those individuals as a party that is capable of being negatively impacted. As long as that's the case you're not going to hear anything about fairness; you've already decided which group of people deserves the better game experience and the new group is making 'demands' while the early access group is being 'negatively impacted'.

Queues negatively impact both people who started on a server before queues formed as well as those who have chosen to roll on a server with queues. The difference is that those who didn't choose to opt into queues are being forced into them by those who don't care as much. How failing to acknowledge that only considers the those who don't care as much about queues and those who started the game by themselves without knowing anyone else as a party that is capable of being negatively impacted. As long as that's the case you're not going to hear anything about fairness; you've already decided which group of people deserves the better game experience and the early access group is making 'demands' while the new group is being 'negatively impacted'.

While our arguments are near exact despite being on the opposite side, your group chose to negative impact themselves by not going the early access route while then choosing to go into higher population servers. Newer players has the potential to be negatively impacted (I admit) but it's by their own volition.

Sorry you feel that way but authoritarian methods will never result in an equitable solution. Give individuals the ability to make their own value decisions (Is waiting worth being with my friends/at a certain level) and at least they're all on an equal playing field.

It's not authoritarian when avoiding supposed authoritarian methods is as simple as "oh, I guess I won't buy TOR then."

Anno

For anyone who played LotRO, is there any of that weird dissonance where it doesn't really feel like it fits the source material? I'm worried I'd never be able to get over having to hit space cats a bunch of times with a lightsabre.

SLV

This thread needs moar screenshots!

RhGijl.png

;)

JWong

Banned
For anyone who played LotRO, is there any of that weird dissonance where it doesn't really feel like it fits the source material? I'm worried I'd never be able to get over having to hit space cats a bunch of times with a lightsabre.

Well, you do kill humanoids more than animals. Animal killing happens rarely.

weeskwee

Banned

for me it fits because it's so far removed from the timelines of the films. in LOTRO it is set DURING the plot of the books/films and just doesnt feel right at times.
here it's what i always wanted. to be able to adventure within the star wars universe. i accept it as lore immediately.

Top Bottom