• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Ricker

I'm not 100% sure how it works yet. But I don't think its entirely true. I think I remember RE'n a few blues and got a different blue pattern out of it. I think you will get the same or better rarity in the patterns, never worse.

I'm a Trooper,only level 14 so far though, and chose Vanguard ,but I still don't see how I can be a tank so far when 90% of my skills are ranged attacks...

EDIT: this was in response to a Trooper comment...

JWong

Banned
I'm a Trooper,only level 14 so far though, and chose Vanguard ,but I still don't see how I can be a tank so far when 90% of my skills are ranged attacks...

You shoot people in the face point blank.

Tanks will gravitate towards their close to mid range attacks anyways.

Deadly

Seems like they really underestimated the people that wanted a PvP server because there are only like 5 Light servers out of 27. 20 of them are Full/Very Heavy.

On the other hand, PvE has 46 servers. 17 Full, 5 Heavy, 22 Light.
(Based on East Coast servers)

It's like they thought people wouldn't want to kill eachother in an MMORPG.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
GAAAAAHHHHH!

SCREW IT. That's it. This is the final nail in the coffin. I'll be calling AT&T up tomorrow to cancel my DSL. It has disconnected me four times today, already. Nope, no can do.

Every single time it rains, our service goes to hell.

JWong

Banned
Seems like they really underestimated the people that wanted a PvP server because there are only like 5 Light servers out of 27. 20 of them are Full/Very Heavy.

On the other hand, PvE has 46 servers. 17 Full, 5 Heavy, 22 Light.
(Based on East Coast servers)

It's like they thought people wouldn't want to kill eachother in an MMORPG.

WoW has made carebears out of everyone.

Xiaoki

Ah, launch day, how I love thee.

Launcher is broken for me. It does the outline of it then goes to "Not Responding".

I got to the actual Launcher once and was welcomed with a "Launcher is updating. Please wait" message. Checking the forums mine is not an isolated case and Customer Service has only one generic catch-all response to the issue.

Well, atleast I got to play for an hour. So much for a smooth launch BioWare.

No we aren't going to learn and we're not going to be silent about it until someone gets it right.

Things such as locking down Full servers the first 30 days, giving preferential slots to pre-orders, having a system already in place to allow guilds a one-time move in the launch window in case of overcrowding, and better organization before launch are all viable alternatives to reducing and/or eliminating queue sizes. You aren't going to please everyone, especially the late comers, but some of these solutions do not add negative consequences to reducing queue size.

A late comer wanting to play with his friends, but can't get on a locked server, does not add a negative consequence. He can still fully play the game albeit on a new server. Letting a late comer onto an already overcrowded server ADDS a negative consequence because it compounds the already existing problem. I'm not saying to lock down servers permanently, but at least do it through the launch window, like the first 30 days, and then when people get settled in, servers get configured, and guilds get moved around to where they want to go (through the 1-time launch window move), then open them and allow anyone to go anywhere they want.

I just can't wrap my head around the thought that people who pre-ordered and had early access should be punished with queues that get larger, and larger and larger. Pre-orders have been open in this game since July 21st. Anyone interested in this game had 4-5 months to get their shit together, get the game pre-ordered and get organized with their friends. Those that did bother to do all these things should not be punished because of people who didn't.

Shouldn't feel entitled, sir. You should just deal with it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently

Launcher is broken for me. It does the outline of it then goes to "Not Responding".

I got to the actual Launcher once and was welcomed with a "Launcher is updating. Please wait" message. Checking the forums mine is not an isolated case and Customer Service has only one generic catch-all response to the issue.

This is actually a really smooth launch for a mmo imo. The servers are not down and people can actually play the game. Queues are to be expected at launch.

GAAAAAHHHHH!

SCREW IT. That's it. This is the final nail in the coffin. I'll be calling AT&T up tomorrow to cancel my DSL. It has disconnected me four times today, already. Nope, no can do.

If it helps, I used to work for AT&T and had that problem. Most likely your lines are not buried. It took like 6 months for me to get something like that fixed on my side. I'd bet money that's the issue.

Maaseru

Banned
Anywhere I can get the digital standard edition, online? WHy is it sold out? It's been days now and I don;t want to spend $20 for the deluxe.

Latest Giantbomb podcast has some SWTOR impressions.

In a nutshell, Jeff played a ton of SWTOR over the weekend but isn't quite sure if he enjoyed it or not. Better reception than I expected, considering.

Ryan sounds like he's enjoying himself, but admits he enjoys MMOs during the launch window a lot more than at any other time.

Brad's having issues getting into it after having played WOW for so long.

I'll have to listen.

But yeah, MMOs tend to be a lot more enjoyable during launch windows. Initial release of the game will obviously be the biggest rush, but you get similar experiences/feelings when an expansion releases, and to a lesser extent, content patches.

Xiaoki

This is actually a really smooth launch for a mmo imo. The servers are not down and people can actually play the game. Queues are to be expected at launch.

This isnt a "Queue" issue. Its a "the Launcher for the game does nothing" issue.

Another launch day staple is "Im not having any problems, I dont understand what your problem is". Thank you.

Rift definitely had a smoother launch. Trion actually having responsive Customer Service really helped instead of one track mind droids.

Windu

This isnt a "Queue" issue. Its a "the Launcher for the game does nothing" issue.
yeah well i meant in general. Probably has nothing to do with it but the game does run as administrator so maybe that is messing something up.

FStop7

Banned
I just can't wrap my head around the thought that people who pre-ordered and had early access should be punished with queues that get larger, and larger and larger. Pre-orders have been open in this game since July 21st. Anyone interested in this game had 4-5 months to get their shit together, get the game pre-ordered and get organized with their friends. Those that did bother to do all these things should not be punished because of people who didn't.

It would have been nice if a set of servers had been dedicated to pre-order customers. Say, the servers that were opened for early access. The remaining servers could have then been opened up to the general userbase who bought on and after launch day. And once things level off then open up all the servers to everyone. I guess it's nice to want things, but at least that's how it should have been done.

I've been keeping a curious eye on the population of my home server (Infinite Empire) all day and it's been Full or Very Heavy constantly since 8 this morning. That's kind of crazy for a west coast server to be full so early. I guess besides being launch day there's also the fact that pretty much every student out there is on winter break.

I also think there aren't enough PVP servers. The ratio of PVE to PVP seems to be about 3 or 4 to 1.

Anno

Couple random questions regarding gameplay.

1. How linear are the zones? I fully expect early zones to be tutorialized, but it'd be nice if things after that had some places to go and incentives to explore.

2. I know Bioware is really emphasizing individual stories, but is there anything to do otherwise? Is there really an incentive (or even just the ability) to play just one character instead of seeing all of the stories?

markatisu

Have you tried repairing the install? Maybe something got borked

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
GAAAAAHHHHH!

man DSL is ass period, who is your cable provider? Just go with them.

Anything is better than DSL, it's seriously the 56k of broadband.

Won

Finished Act 1 (I guess) of the Smuggler. Damn, the stuff that happens feels so damn random.

Also is there no "hide head slot" option for companions? Looks so silly in cutscenes on the ship.

Didn't you claim you were going to drop this particular topic? So bitter, lol.

I think it's hilarious. Half the forum jumped down my throat about mentioning something that took 5 hours. Something that other posters assumed would fix the issue everyone is complaining about now.

What's even more hilarious is that something like this wasn't planned on, or around if the queues are reallyt his bad. And people are complaining about these queues and no one is saying shit. It's laughable. Everybody knows MMO's have queues and things like that on launch, but to not have any mechanisms in place to help keep servers level for what is, arguable, one of the most popular brands in the world strikes me as short sighted. People have said just that, just as I said it was short sighted of bioware to bring the servers down during prime time. And for some reason I was told I was some entitled asshole because I second guessed Bioware.

Now everybody is bitching about the queues and no one is screaming "YOU'RE JUST AN ENTITLED DICK!". lol WTF.

I think Bioware had a good idea of the influx of people they would be getting. We also know pre-orders were REALLY up there. They even had early game access to try and even some of this out, yet they're still having massive issues. Chances are they knew this would happen too.

But I'm probably being entitled thinking Bioware could have handled this better.

markatisu

Just logged on to the full server and seem to be going pretty quick, ETA is 40min we will see how that is real time. Seems no different then the past few days, heres hoping I can get some slicing in

Windu

if i sit in a cantina and just do crafting/gathering etc.. missions will it log me out?

Soroc

if i sit in a cantina and just do crafting/gathering etc.. missions will it log me out?

Yes happened to me this morning

I didn't move just kept doing crafting and it afk'd me then kicked me to the character select. It did not disconnect me though.

I don't know how long you can idle at the character select screen before being disconnected.

TimeKillr

So I have a chance to nab a copy of the "Bioware Studio Edition" of the game for like 200... From a buddy who works at Bioware. Should I get it?

Apparently it comes with a figurine, a usb key, a galaxy poster, some dvds, a journal, the OST, and it's signed by the entire dev team with "Thanks for the hard work!" written on it. The only thing he's asking me is that I won't resell it on ebay too quickly lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Question: it looks like the Speeder is the only thing of true value in the collector's edition. What is the earliest you can get an equivalent mount/vehicle?

I really don't want to pay an extra $20 for more convenient transportation.

Calidor

oh my god! I have the game already installed but Origin digital's version is still sold out WTF

Anyone knows a reliable shop to buy the registration code? I tried offgamers but they are also sold out...

markatisu

Got into the Harbinger in about 30min, been running smooth since. Figured it would be busier given all the complaining and the fact its prime time

TheYanger

Almost all of your efficient attacks as a vanguard are melee range. Your autoattack and high impact bolt are the only truly ranged 'good' attacks, while stockstrike represents a huge chunk of your dps.

Anyone saying this launch is smooth is kidding themselves. The whole queue system was in bioware's power to address by doing a single early launch date and then normal launch date, instead they screwed the pooch. Servers aren't down, sure, but that's nothing new since queues were invented.

It looks like Amazon still has the CE in stock (came back around 2 hours ago). I'm trying to decide whether its worth saving $15 bucks + a $15 coupon from KMART to save on tax and use a gift card.

Top Bottom