• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

moop1167

Aww, you suck. We're on opposite sides. :p

Well I was re-creating my character... I could always switch. He was only level 4 and I didn't like his hair lol.

I was going to be a Jedi Consular / Sage (healer)

What's the equivalent on the bad guy side? I still may prefer to be Republic though.

FStop7

Banned
GAAAAAHHHHH!

SCREW IT. That's it. This is the final nail in the coffin. I'll be calling AT&T up tomorrow to cancel my DSL. It has disconnected me four times today, already. Nope, no can do.

Every single time it rains, our service goes to hell.

I had this problem. It was the demarcation point (junction box) on the side of the building. The rain was getting inside of it and caused stuff to corrode and short out. The tech replaced most of the panel and from then on no more drops when it rained.

Has anyone tried deleting a character and recreating them with the same name? Is there any kind of timed lockout on reusing a name, or can you use it right away like in WoW?

Milly79

Well I was re-creating my character... I could always switch. He was only level 4 and I didn't like his hair lol.

I was going to be a Jedi Consular / Sage (healer)

What's the equivalent on the bad guy side? I still may prefer to be Republic though.

I really don't know... Haha.

I just saw Bounty Hunter while looking at all the pre-hype stuff and was sold. Didn't even look at the other classes.

Almost all of your efficient attacks as a vanguard are melee range. Your autoattack and high impact bolt are the only truly ranged 'good' attacks, while stockstrike represents a huge chunk of your dps.

Anyone saying this launch is smooth is kidding themselves. The whole queue system was in bioware's power to address by doing a single early launch date and then normal launch date, instead they screwed the pooch. Servers aren't down, sure, but that's nothing new since queues were invented.

Oh whine whine whine, you never stop. Even WoW can't launch an expansion pack without having Queues. No matter what Bioware did, there was going to be queues.

Dakota47

I was leveling up a Sage (lvl 26 atm) but after trying the IA tonight I have decided to switch. Worth it for the class story and the voice acting alone. It is so much better than the Consular storyline.

Moaradin

Yes, it could have gone smoother definitely, but it has still been a pretty good launch. Ignoring the queues, the actual servers are amazing and I haven't lagged or got disconnected once since early access started.

Compared to the WoW launch, it's night and day.

oneils

If I buy a physical edition of the game will I get a decent manual? As in, would the game manual have a list of classes, all of their skills, and other things of that nature?

If not, I probably would not bother with the physical edition.

Alex

Almost all of your efficient attacks as a vanguard are melee range. Your autoattack and high impact bolt are the only truly ranged 'good' attacks, while stockstrike represents a huge chunk of your dps.

Anyone saying this launch is smooth is kidding themselves. The whole queue system was in bioware's power to address by doing a single early launch date and then normal launch date, instead they screwed the pooch. Servers aren't down, sure, but that's nothing new since queues were invented.

It's a very good launch...for me! No queues on my server, well a very small one earlier.

But no, queues are really unacceptable period, especially on subscription based games. There should be ways around all this shit by now. Locks should be put on big servers and free transfers allowed for guilds.

I was leveling up a Sage (lvl 26 atm) but after trying the IA tonight I have decided to switch. Worth it for the class story and the voice acting alone. It is so much better than the Consular storyline.

Agent is very rad, it's voice work, story, design, aesthetics, etc are all really great, IMO. Even it's ship is awesome, it makes my sad little Bounty Hunter heap look very homely. :lol BH spoiler:
and I had to steal that shit, why couldn't I have stolen a fancier ship!? In fact, my wife had just finished hers right before mine, I should have stolen that one

WoW launch was a bug filled mess, but that was then, this is now, different eras for the genre, different standards. It's still a good launch, queues aside, but the fact that we keep seeing queues in every MMO launch when there are pretty transparent, and fair, ways around them is just stupid. I really think a smarter concept of what FFXI did back in the day is the way to go (auto assigning players to servers and making people obtain a world pass, but instead of spending credits on it or a giant string of digits make it easier by letting it be mass used nowadays and sent instantly like an invite in the game client)

Alright, I caved. I'm in for at least a few months. Who do I talk to about getting into The GAF Empire? Char is name is Marcydarthy, Lvl 22 Sith Assassin. Currently in a queue after crashing during a loading screen. -_-

hlhbk

Couple questions here....

So I asked this during the beta and never got an anwser. Once the game is installed how much bandwidth does the game actually use? I ask this cause I am gonna be close to hitting my 250 GB limit on Comcast this month due to the Steam sale and will be receiving this game from amazon tomorrow.

Last question is I have read articles stating this could be played strictly as a single player and it would be like playing KOTOR 3, is this true? I am not a MMO fan (can't stand WOW) but loved the KOTOR games. What are you feelings on this GAF?

Since I cant register right now with the site apparently down, what is all this talk of the CE exclusive mount? Is it free or cheaper than a normal one, or just a unique looking mount?

darthbob

Man it sure would be nice if these new servers existed in the Guild migrations a week ago...

Or at least give us server transfers.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I had this problem. It was the demarcation point (junction box) on the side of the building. The rain was getting inside of it and caused stuff to corrode and short out. The tech replaced most of the panel and from then on no more drops when it rained.

Hmmm... thanks for the heads up! Maybe I'll give them a call tomorrow, instead. Give them a chance to redeem themselves.

Anyhoo; the final pieces of the puzzle arrived today, to complement my Collector's Edition and my "Art and Making Of" book :)

6546819263_c1a382e0de_z.jpg

Just dinged lvl22 before leaving early this evening. Now that I'm back, I hope to start digging into Nar Shadda and hit 24 by tomorrow night.

EDIT:

GOOOOOOOOOOD DAAAAAMNIT!

FUCKING I take it back. I'm canceling at&t tomorrow. period. Now I get this bullshit "a login error has occurred" after my internet discontented for the up-tenth time.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It's been said before, and I'll say it again. Slicing ;)
been doing slicing with my jedi guardian (lvl 16). I am up to 153, i basically am breaking even. It is nice to advance your skill without losing all of your money though. How much money can you get from the higher lvl slicing quests? (doing 25-32 lvls at the moment).
Has it been mentioned in here when Origin is going to update from UNRELEASED and add the product code? Kind of annoying.
i got my product code in an email.

been doing slicing with my jedi guardian (lvl 16). I am up to 153, i basically am breaking even. It is nice to advance your skill without losing all of your money though. How much money can you get from the higher lvl slicing quests? (doing 25-32 lvls at the moment).

Ok thanks, I guess I'll keep my eye open for that email.

So I have a chance to nab a copy of the "Bioware Studio Edition" of the game for like 200... From a buddy who works at Bioware. Should I get it?

Apparently it comes with a figurine, a usb key, a galaxy poster, some dvds, a journal, the OST, and it's signed by the entire dev team with "Thanks for the hard work!" written on it. The only thing he's asking me is that I won't resell it on ebay too quickly lol
The Studio Edition is just a Collector's Edition with a different plastic outer sheath.

It's not signed by everyone, it's just a printed signature of the two docs.

Here, look:

ce_and_studio.jpg

TheYanger

put your costs and yields down on paper if you want, you're NOT breaking even. You start earning money within the first 50 points. (before that you break even). You're just doing lockbox missions right?

Guesong

Ugh 730 in queue...worst it's been so far on Port Nowhere.

Meanwhile I'm seeing alot of new servers showing Light or Standard load...

What the hell is BioWare thinking. Launching these servers on Launch Day? New people will NOT go to low population servers. It's an MMO. You want it populated. You want to interact with people. You want a good server. Why launch these on launch day? Why did you not launch them on Early Access? Why did they progressively add more servers?

It's a broken record by now I'm sure, but the success of this game - and I like it alot so far when I actually do play - will be made or broken by BioWare's prompt response on this.

bill0527

Yes, it could have gone smoother definitely, but it has still been a pretty good launch. Ignoring the queues, the actual servers are amazing and I haven't lagged or got disconnected once since early access started.

Other than the queues, I've only had 1 problem with the game since day 1 early access.

I got stuck in the floor of a cave and couldn't move. /stuck wasn't doing anything and I had just used quick travel, so I had to wait about 20 minutes before I could do anything.

Oh and I think I figured out how to not to rage about the queues. Splashtop on my iPad works great with this game. I can queue up from anywhere now.. and also craft. Not really playable for anything else because of the controls, or lack thereof.

bjb

Banned
Question: I leveled a Maurader up to 26, and am not really feeling it. How is Imperial Agent? Specifically the Healer-end. Seems kinda boring, am I wrong?

I've mostly only played Casters / Melee types in MMO. Want to try something different.

Sigfodr

So, I love everything I got in the CE. The Malgus statue is much nicer than I expected, and the $50 Shae Vizla is looking pretty tempting (my statues are a bit of a sausage fest). Of course, my favorite in-game item is the mouse droid. He makes me smile so much, even when I accidentally target him for a heal. The biggest surprises, though, came from the Journal. Not only does it provide cool backstory for the lore, but the book just looks and feels really, really nice. And tucked between the pages are some great extra pieces, like a section from the Treaty of Coruscant - the section that is responsible for the cold war the game takes place during.

I was already surprised by how much I liked the game (and I had high, high expectations), but with how pleased I am with the CE, I don't think this game could make me happier.

Now, time to queue up.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
Is the Empire side GAF guild up and running yet? It says fernboi is the guild leader. Does he have an in game name yet?

Is the Empire side GAF guild up and running yet? It says fernboi is the guild leader. Does he have an in game name yet?
Been up and running for the past week. Fern's name in-game is Villeon.

Send a whisper to Verigan (that's me) and I'll get you in. I'm on right now.
Theres some Revan hinting earlyish on thats got me confused. Wasn't the canon ending to KOTOR
light side
?
Yes light side is the canon ending to both KOTOR I.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I finally took the plunge on the Standard Edition.

Even if the MMORPG tropes bore me, I'm sure I'll get a good amount of enjoyment out of the Star Wars and story parts! I plan on playing a Sith Sorcerer.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, at the measly 350KB/s download rate I'm getting, I won't be able to play until tomorrow. Oh well!

So, how do the player factions work in this game? Is it typical post-WoW crap where you can't group, trade, or even communicate with the opposing faction?

Sillverrr

Suburban: yep, almost instantly. Next time I logged in, all of the items were there as attachments in one mail. The VIP Lounge Wristband goes straight into your Mission Items backpack though - I almost panicked because it wasn't in my standard storage space and I thought I had deleted it!

Ugh I caved in and bought this, should be here by Christmas. I think this is the first time I actually bought an MMO on launch day. From the reactions it seems to be a smooth launch though which is usually why I wait.

Which side is currently more popular?

hlhbk

Couple questions here....

So I asked this during the beta and never got an anwser. Once the game is installed how much bandwidth does the game actually use? I ask this cause I am gonna be close to hitting my 250 GB limit on Comcast this month due to the Steam sale and will be receiving this game from amazon tomorrow.

Last question is I have read articles stating this could be played strictly as a single player and it would be like playing KOTOR 3, is this true? I am not a MMO fan (can't stand WOW) but loved the KOTOR games. What are you feelings on this GAF?

Anyone?

Alex

Empire is def better, I say. And legitimately better, not just trying too hard because they're all ugly and all live in huts like another loud mouthed MMO faction. :p Opinions aside, I think it's fairly break even at this point on population unless I read wrong.

Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent <3 though. I said it in another topic but man I'd love a whole game based on the Imperial Agent, I sort of wish I hadn't agreed to swap my class for our duo but I can't regret BH either. My only regret is that doing anything else is going to feel like a downgrade for my own tastes after. Nothing about the force or jedi fare is interesting to me so we'd probably go Republic and swap on the mirrored classes, hopefully Smuggler is solid?

Theres some Revan hinting earlyish on thats got me confused. Wasn't the canon ending to KOTOR
light side
?

Yes, it was, but I think you misunderstood a few things. Also lot of the in between during KOTOR 2 and past is in the Revan novel.

Ugh 730 in queue...worst it's been so far on Port Nowhere.

Meanwhile I'm seeing alot of new servers showing Light or Standard load...

What the hell is BioWare thinking. Launching these servers on Launch Day? New people will NOT go to low population servers. It's an MMO. You want it populated. You want to interact with people. You want a good server. Why launch these on launch day? Why did you not launch them on Early Access? Why did they progressively add more servers?

It's a broken record by now I'm sure, but the success of this game - and I like it alot so far when I actually do play - will be made or broken by BioWare's prompt response on this.

Launch day queues are normal for a MMO, it is not going to kill the game as things will normalize in days. Adding a ton of servers during early access would have accomplished nothing as there were many available servers during early access with space for everyone to play on, but didn't stop everyone from rushing to the same full servers. Having early access with all the servers up would have still had players congregating to where everyone else was going to go, because everyone wants to play on the most popular servers, and we would still have queues.

Top Bottom