• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Was tempted to cancel my preorder after a day of the early access, thinking 'I don't need an MMO in my life', but it's just completely sucked me in. The focus on story, VA and Mass Effect style dialogue sequences really does make all the difference in the world. Against all odds, it looks like TOR is going to deliver on the KotOR 3, 4, 5, etc...hype.

And that polish. That fucking polish, guys.

Alex

So GAF, give me your verdict on SWTOR.

I like it a lot thus far, unexpectedly natural quest progression, really great presentation, actual support and encouragement of leveling multi-player and the specific trappings like their crafting system and companion stuff are really amusing and allow you play the game in some fairly interesting ways (dungeon duoing through some good patience and skill!). Very pretty game though a bit uneven in spots, very nice but disappointingly sparse soundtrack.

The way I'm playing it it mostly just feels like a modern co-operative KOTOR with some lessons learned from Mass Effect. We'll see how I feel about it in the end but thus far it's the most fun I've had in an MMO main-game since the ol' sandbox titles like UO. Good stuff.

I still worry about end game, though, I like the game a lot but I've played too many years of WoW and I am totally spent on raiding or investing any of my time to a rigid schedule for a video game. It's really time for this genre to be less bipolar about it's leveling process vs it's end game content. Space exploration being mentioned among the first updates soothes me a little, but I'm still highly wary.

Still, even if I just do a few classes to cap and have some fun where the content counts with dungeons and crafts and the story that's well worth 60 bucks considering the game clock.

Door2Dawn

Banned
SWOTR is a good game, but I'm still not sure if it's worth the 60 bucks and the monthly fee. I think I'll just play until my pre-order thing runs out and wait.

I still worry about end game, though, I like the game a lot but I've played too many years of WoW and I am totally spent on raiding or investing any of my time to a rigid schedule for a video game. It's really time for this genre to be less bipolar about it's leveling process vs it's end game content. Space exploration being mentioned among the first updates soothes me a little, but I'm still highly wary.

They just said they are going to expand on the space combat portion of the game, but didn't say they were doing exploration and such. For all we know they are just putting in more space missions, though most hope they are going to add some more options and meat to what is essentially a mini game

Won

So GAF, give me your verdict on SWTOR.

Could be better, could be worse.

Singleplayer is ok so far. MMO part falls short imo.

RaySpencer said:
So how do Legacy names work? Are they just last names? or are they 'The ____ Legacy' under your name? Ive seen people talk about both.

Both options are available in the options menu.

Emitan

z3Bmp.jpg

Quick question:

What's the character cap (or is there one?) per server?

Total character cap?

With WoW it's 10 per server and 50 total, but there are also fewer classes in SWTOR.

Was wondering if you could have one (or more) of every class on a single server. And certainly there is room for expansion with more classes and races down the line, probably in the inevitable expansion pack(s).

Also, do they restrict your faction on PvP servers? WoW used to do so, only letting you create characters from one of the two factions on PvP servers, though they did do away with it sometime in late Wrath, or with Cata.

jcutner

Well this is just fantastic.

Installed it, load it up, watch the nice little intro, crash to desktop.
A fluke, I gather.

Launch it again, crash to desktop.

Reinstalled nVidia drivers (latest, and betas)
Reinstalled Windows 7... (there was a lot of crap on this desktop, thought I'd start from scratch)

Reinstalled SWTOR again from the discs.

Load it up, hello desktop.

Needless to say, little bit annoyed.

Checked the ol' Event Viewer;

Faulting application name: swtor.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4eebb070
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7ba58
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000618d7
Faulting process id: 0xec4
Faulting application start time: 0x01ccbf9d463c80f8
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\RetailClient\swtor.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 8bef0ed4-2b90-11e1-bbbf-c464d792dc0e

So, I'm fully out of ideas.

edit: scratch that, i got it working and i have no idea how.
after running the launcher so many times, and killing it in task manager, the next time i launched it, when i hit play - it made me agree to the EULA which it didn't do before, and I had the repair option under the little gear at the bottom left.
this time, when I agreed and hit play - I was in and it works!

makes no sense at all to me, but hey, i'm in!

Quick question, if characters change appearance when they become heavily corrupted, do they also change when the the further they become "good"?

Also:

Any bets on how long before we see a SWTOR Armory app? With auction house access and the ability to send your crew on missions of course. Better than the workaround I keep seeing of people remoting in to their PCs.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Quick question, if characters change appearance when they become heavily corrupted, do they also change when the the further they become "good"?

I'm 5550 into light side and my guy looks exactly the same so far. TBH I don't think I'd want my character to change looks for being light side.

Also:

Any bets on how long before we see a SWTOR Armory app? With auction house access and the ability to send your crew on missions of course. Better than the workaround I keep seeing of people remoting in to their PCs.

They'd be mad not to take advantage of it considering the amount of people that are begging for it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, how big is this game? I just downloaded 2 GB, then 15 GB of "main assets", and I thought I'd be in after the long install of that. Now I'm downloading 5GB of "English Assets".

They'd be mad not to take advantage of it considering the amount of people that are begging for it.

I mean, I never (and never will, unless there is some insane feature increase) paid extra for the WoW app - the main attraction of which is mainly to AH wherever you want. I could do all my AH tasks in-game perfectly fine, especially with addons providing extra functionality.

But being able to gather or craft wherever? I'd certainly sign up for at least a couple months here and there.

Renmei

Banned
After messing around and trying out almost all of the classes, I've fallen in love with my bounty hunter. Heavy armor, ranged dps with no cover mechanic, I can heal and my first companion is also a ranged healer? I can solo silver and gold just by kiting in a circle around my companion while she heals me.. higher level BH/troopers please tell me if the class continues to be awesome.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Well this is just fantastic.

Installed it, load it up, watch the nice little intro, crash to desktop.
A fluke, I gather.

Launch it again, crash to desktop.

Reinstalled nVidia drivers (latest, and betas)
Reinstalled Windows 7... (there was a lot of crap on this desktop, thought I'd start from scratch)

Reinstalled SWTOR again from the discs.

Load it up, hello desktop.

Needless to say, little bit annoyed.

Checked the ol' Event Viewer;

So, I'm fully out of ideas.

edit: scratch that, i got it working and i have no idea how.
after running the launcher so many times, and killing it in task manager, the next time i launched it, when i hit play - it made me agree to the EULA which it didn't do before, and I had the repair option under the little gear at the bottom left.
this time, when I agreed and hit play - I was in and it works!

makes no sense at all to me, but hey, i'm in!
Maybe you logged in too quickly and didn't give the launcher to update itself? I know if you're fast enough you can accidentally skip that, at least back in beta.

Big Chungus

I heard in general chat something about being able to toggle on/off the hoods on Sith Inquisiter cloaks..

Is this true and how can you do it?

I'm seriously thinking about cutting my losses and not playing on Keller's Void anymore. I don't want to do it, but I really can't stand being put in a half hour queue every time I DC every night from 8-12 or whatever.

I rolled a Bounty Hunter on another server after seeing a queue around 9 and played Hutta all night. Bounty Hunter is a badass class. The combat is definitely more fun than my Assassin. I love putting that time bomb on one and having him knock back everyone else and dragon punching people when they come into melee.

Let the Wookie win!
2L1ol.jpg

CoolS

Guys, a quick question: Is there any way to split ups stacks? So I have 20 Med packs and want to give my buddy 10? Can't figure out how to do that.

Tacitus_

So how does the dual classing work? I've nailed my choice down to either Sith Juggernaut or Assassin (since tanks and healers are always needed and I like tanking a lot more), but I'm not sure which one to take. Probably juggernaut since the armor looks fucking awesome...

oneils

So, what's the word on this Origin sold-out business? No SWTOR for us late deciders?

They seem to be sold out of the physical copies only. You can buy the digital version, though. Or you can get a physical edition from a retailer/e-tailer.

If you buy the digital version, go to the origin website. Clicking on the link from the swtor website seems to still add a pre-order fee to your cart.

edit: I'm curious. Did anyone here buy a physical copy of the standard edition? If so, what kind of manual came with the game? Was it decent enough? As in did it have a decent amount of info related to classes and their skills?

Sethos

Banned
They seem to be sold out of the physical copies only. You can buy the digital version, though. Or you can get a physical edition from a retailer/e-tailer.

If you buy the digital version, go to the origin website. Clicking on the link from the swtor website seems to still add a pre-order fee to your cart.

Not here. Everywhere I go the ( Danish sites, automatically sends me there ) they are listed as sold out basically. Won't be able to get a physical copy any time soon, sold out a lot of places and our post service is useless.

When I click the big fat banner on the Origin Store, it takes me straight to a page that says "Product is no longer available".

oneils

Not here. Everywhere I go the ( Danish sites, automatically sends me there ) they are listed as sold out basically. Won't be able to get a physical copy any time soon, sold out a lot of places and our post service is useless.

When I click the big fat banner on the Origin Store, it takes me straight to a page that says "Product is no longer available".

Are you outside of North America? For me, I get this page:

http://store.origin.com/store/ea/html/pbPage.SWTOR_NA?easid=Origin-SWTOR_Web_Hero_BuyNow

I can buy the digital version, at least.

oneils

I live in North America and it says Temporarily Sold Out in bright red letters under the digital option.

Only says that under "physical copy" for me. When I check the radio button beside "PC digital download" and click "buy now" the game is added to my cart and I can buy it.

oneils

Can't, sends me to the Danish outlet. ( Yes I'm outside NA :p )

And through the actual website, "Buy now" is greyed out.

Ah that sucks. Maybe make sure you can or can't click on the pc digital edition. Well, that is if you would like to settle for that. The NA site is sold out of physical editions as well.

I'd like to get this, but I'm on the fence. May wait a month or so until things settle down.

Izayoi

Banned
There is some amazing stuff in this game (the last Commando companion holy SHIT).

There is also some amazingly annoying stuff (UI bug, long walks, I'm looking at you).

Sethos

Banned
Ah that sucks. Maybe make sure you can or can't click on the pc digital edition. Well, that is if you would like to settle for that. The NA site is sold out of physical editions as well.

I'd like to get this, but I'm on the fence. May wait a month or so until things settle down.

You can't even buy physical copies through the Danish store. So Origin has, in fact, sold out on a digitally distributed game that released ONE DAY ago. Oh god :|

I tend to try every MMO out there, might as well get this over with, give it a proper chance. Beta was pretty iffy but hey, I'm willing to give it another go with some friends.

mxgt

Banned
3 gathering skills is where it's at, I have too many credits that I don't know what to do with even at level 22

Orgun

edit: I'm curious. Did anyone here buy a physical copy of the standard edition? If so, what kind of manual came with the game? Was it decent enough? As in did it have a decent amount of info related to classes and their skills?

I bought a physical standard copy, no manual to speak of! There is a 2 page installation guide and that's it

Top Bottom