• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Finally wrapped up the bonus series on Balmorra, got all the datacrons up to that point, wrapped up space, and got caught up on flashpoints.

Just landed on Nar Shadaa and WOW. Gorgeous. Stoked to get rolling here. I was pretty tired of Balmorra. New city has got me excited again (and I'm a level away from my mount).

Alex

Nar Shadda is awesome, I love that the entire world is just that big city. It makes for a really interesting zone for an MMO. I like the quest types as well.

Big groan: they have a resilience-type stat? That kills most of my interest in PvP then. I'm not getting into this grinding a set of gear just to PvP shit again. =/ I read it 's not anywhere near as time consuming to get but we'll see and that doesn't make it less stupid.

gatti-man

This game reminds me exactly why I quit WoW. Groups are as thick as pig shit.

"Tank the boss next to the wall and kill the adds please."

Two attempts later: there are always two adds are left up and the tank can't move back to the same spot twice. I leave in frustration. Fuck this, I'm going to respec from healer and solo to 50! This isn't the first time it happened either.

Group with gafers? Every group ive been with so far has been great on kellers void. Even pickup groups.

Alex

Sounds like Hammer Station, I duo'd that dungeon with one friend + companions at level 17, was a bit rough but that made it fun. Weak-ass companions are worth the party slot more than people in a bad group!

FLEABttn

Banned
Big groan: they have a resilience-type stat? That kills most of my interest in PvP then. I'm not getting into this grinding a set of gear just to PvP shit again. =/ I read it 's not anywhere near as time consuming to get but we'll see and that doesn't make it less stupid.

It's a dumb problem to begin with. PvP in non-PvP dedicated games is stupid. There are a million other games/genre's that do organized PvP so much better than MMO's do, yet people demand it to be shoehorned in.

B.K.

Is there a benchmark for the game? I want to try it, but I want to make sure my PC will run it before I buy it. The requirements on Gamestop's site seem fairly low.

Alex

It's a dumb problem to begin with. PvP in non-PvP dedicated games is stupid. There are a million other games/genre's that do organized PvP so much better than MMO's do, yet people demand it to be shoehorned in.

I liked it a lot in WoW when I was very active, the combat type made it a ton of fun, especially with friends. Arenas 2s and semi pug bgs were a blast. Was really sad how much they fucked up rated bgs, that was one of my big hopefuls for cataclysm.

Didn't care much for world Pvp though, even when the game was new it just didn't work out well in this type of game. Need something like UO for that! I'm trying it again in SWTOR but I've yet to see a single republic player...

oneils

I've only had a chance to play for an hour, but the cutscenes and voice acting really do add a lot. That's to say, the game would be pretty shit boring without them.

However, I still kind of fail to see the reason that this is an MMORPG other than that EA wanted a game with a subscription. The way it's set up makes it seem a lot more like Guild Wars, and well, Guild Wars doesn't charge a monthly subscription for a reason.

I love the story stuff, but it's all done in a single-player context.

I find it strange that MMORPGs are moving more and more toward a focus on single-player content and further away from any meaningful player interaction and community elements. I plan to enjoy my time in SWTOR, but it's existence as an MMORPG confuses me.

Yes, this game seems like Star Wars: Origins. Which has part of me really excited because I loved Dragon Age: Origins and I like Star Wars. However, I'm not so keen on paying 15 bucks a month for a Single Player RPG. I'll probably cave and try to cram as much as possible in the first 30 days and play it by ear from there.

FLEABttn

Banned
I liked it a lot in WoW when I was very active, the combat type made it a ton of fun, especially with friends. Arenas 2s and semi pug bgs were a blast.

Didn't care much for world Pvp though, even when the game was new it just didn't work out well in this type of game. Need something like UO for that!

I can see why people like it, but when gear comes into the equation, problems are quickly run into wrt balance. Same with classes to some extent but that's a little easier to deal with (assuming you actually want to balance stuff around PvP). WoW's implementation of Arena and BG's was lacking I think because despite their desire to push into the e-area fold, it always felt really half-assed.

World PvP and WoW is looked back upon with the most ridiculous rose-tinted glasses generally, it's sad. It was popular for a few months, then almost nobody cared. BG's breathed life back into a PvP scene that was dead except for a very small few.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

The most fun I've had in MMORPG PvP is in games that don't attempt to balance it. EverQuest PvP, for example, was awesome even though 1v1 matchups could be ridiculously unbalanced. PvP is nice to have as an option, but I just wish it weren't a large focus of some developer's time, unless it's the primary focus of the game like in Dark Age of Camelot and Warhammer.

This is any MMO really that requires any sort group coordination. PUGs can sometimes be stupid as shit and don't like be told what to do, even if what to do is correct.

Sure, but it's particularly bad in WoW-and-later MMORPGs due to the fact that the majority of leveling time is spent soloing cheesy easy content for most players.

Alex

Yeah, I just like it because of the moba style of play combined with your own persistent MMO trappings, I in no way shape or form want it as an E-Sport. I mean I even had Gladiator for S2 back in Burning Crusade in 2s (cheesed it though! Warrior/Druid) and I still think that's ridiculous, relative balance where everyone has proper tools and everyone has a few overpowered fun things they can do is the way to go.

I think resilience throws a wrench in it though, they treat it like an entire separate entity which is bothersome to me. We'll see if SWTOR gets as stupid with it but as the game got older to me I dropped PvP entirely in WoW just because I can't be assed to grind an entire set of armor JUST for PvP on every season, character and spec. Especially when WoW has become alt paradise otherwise.

Venfayth

I don't really see a good way to have a flourishing pvp and pve community if the gear is exactly the same for both, though.

Maybe just put more endurance/stamina type stats on pvp gear, and less weight on the other stats? I don't know.

Trouble

Banned
Does the class quest go all the way to lvl 50?

At the rate I'm going I'll hit 50 before I finish the class quest. 36 and just started Chapter 2, haven't even set foot on Balmorra yet. Flashpoints + Space dailies are keeping me ahead of the curve.

Azzurri

At the rate I'm going I'll hit 50 before I finish the class quest. 36 and just started Chapter 2, haven't even set foot on Balmorra yet. Flashpoints + Space dailies are keeping me ahead of the curve.

I'm lvl 28 and still on act 1 of mine. I try to do all the quest I can on each planet before I do my class quest

Alex

Too bad Nar Shadaa is boring and shitty. Not a single bit of fun there.

Really? I like it a lot so far. I like that it's a whole "indoors" planet, the elite quests were great and I like most of the various themes the quests use here with the gang wars and shady bits.

Hawk269

Are all the flashpoints on ships? Or are there flashpoins in dungeon llike settings or out-door enviroments?

Sorry for the noob question...but have not had time to play alot and do not know.

Azzurri

Are all the flashpoints on ships? Or are there flashpoins in dungeon llike settings or out-door enviroments?

Sorry for the noob question...but have not had time to play alot and do not know.

I've done both, Athiss is outside in a jungle setting.

cametall

Anyone know of a list of unofficial servers for different countries?

I started on Kinrath Spider (PVP US East) and the republic side is mostly occupied by Brazilians. It's not fun to play on.

There are several massive guilds made up of all Brazilians.

Trouble

Banned
Well you've horribly out-leveled that planet!

As long as the quests don't turn grey, I'm OK with it. Didn't happen on Alderaan, but we'll see. I have a feeling I'll blast through the class quest and jump ship from Balmorra fairly quickly because the quests turn grey.

bill0527

After 12 years of playing many MMOs, I have to wholeheartedly agree.

PvP is never balanced, unless the MMOs entire focus is on PvP.

PvP balance seems to change with every patch and/or expansion and its something that can never be perfected in a MMO setting, IF that MMO has a huge PvE component.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Noooo

Crashed while healing the others during the Athiss boss fight and now I'm in a queue. Sorry guys :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not having a reconnect grace period is a special kind of ridiculous.

Sanic

Just out of curiosity, has anyone purchased this with the intent of framing it as a singleplayer game? As in, spend $60 for the game, play through a bunch (most?) of the content during your free month, and then abstain from continuing your subscription in the future?

Dartastic

Not an MMO player. I do however, like the Old Republic universe. I also loved the old Bioware Star Wars games. So. Yeah. What's the verdict? I kinda wanna try this.

Carm

Yea, you folks saying tanking is fine and referencing guardian/jugg apparently never seen a bh tank. Guardian/Jugg tanking is either currently broken in regards to aoe threat or the other classes need to be nerfed quite a bit. One aoe move from others I've ran into and besides taunt I don't pull off them until its practically dead.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone purchased this with the intent of framing it as a singleplayer game? As in, spend $60 for the game, play through a bunch (most?) of the content during your free month, and then abstain from continuing your subscription in the future?

You'll can do this, but you'll most likely end up subscribing because there is more content than you can chew through in a month.

Not an MMO player. I do however, like the Old Republic universe. I also loved the old Bioware Star Wars games. So. Yeah. What's the verdict? I kinda wanna try this.

This is my first MMO and I'm loving it, plays like a co-op KOTOR.

hamchan

So I just started the game. Currently level 2 on the Sith side on Keller's Void. How do I go about joining the GAF guild? Character name is Hamchana

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Seriously? FUCK. I really might have to play this. Sheieeieieiit

Co-op KOTOR is absolutely the best way to describe it.

KOTOR is easily my favorite game of all time. I remember the second I finished it, before playing through it again, I thought to myself how cool it would be to be able to continue playing my character and go on quests with friends. Wouldn't you know it... eight years later I got my wish.

There is a lot more "filler" in this than in KOTOR. Yeah, there are a lot of "go get this" and "kill 10 of these" quests. But there is also A LOT more game here in TOR than there was in KOTOR. I'm a level 24 Jedi Knight, and I'm still on the 4th planet (Nar Shadda). There is a whole lote more content coming my way. But I'm loving the story, I like going at my own pace, and for now, I'm mostly ignoring group quests (Heroics, world bosses, etc) and just enjoying this as my own personal KOTOR3. I imagine when I finish the story, I'll go back and do all the quests I missed out on (even if there's no exp at that point), and there will be end-game content and whatnot.

And after I'm all done with that, there are, what, seven other class storylines to enjoy?

Trust me; if you liked KOTOR, you will at the *very* least enjoy 30 days of ToR, and it'll be worth $60. But, honestly, I think ToR might become my favorite game of all time... and I've never enjoyed an MMO in my life.

Dartastic

Wow Skel1ngt0n. That's a really great post. I'll probably give this a shot once I get a bit more out of my backlog: I pretty much only have Battlefield, Rayman Origins, and the main storyline in Skyrim, which I'm 2/3 through. I'll give this a go.

Quadratic

Anyone on Keller's Void and in the GAF guild able to invite on the Empire side? My ingame name is Fiveseven and I'm currently a LVL 12 Operative.

Trouble

Banned
Queue makes me QQ. If 52 people could go ahead and log off Keller's Void for me that'd be great, thanks.

Perusing the official forums right now is hilarious. The vitriol is palpable. The exact same thing happened when WoW launched. The people enjoying the game don't post on the forums.

Alex

Argh, duoing the 4x quest for the jedi rebels in nar shadaa was super hard. Probably shoulda just got at least another person for that :lol

oneils

I just bought it a few hours ago and am downloading it now. That is currently how I plan to play the game. I plan to try to go through as much content as possible in the first 30 days. Who knows, maybe I will actually learn to love it and get stuck on the community, but that has never happened to me before (not that I have a ton of experience with MMORPGs).

Sigfodr

I just bought it a few hours ago and am downloading it now. That is currently how I plan to play the game. I plan to try to go through as much content as possible in the first 30 days. Who knows, maybe I will actually learn to love it and get stuck on the community, but that has never happened to me before (not that I have a ton of experience with MMORPGs).

I've played many MMOs and it's always the same: I join at or near launch, fall in love, play non-stop until I realize I've just gotten every class to level twenty but nothing makes me want to play more. This game really has me, though. Now, that may not be the best argument to convince an MMO fan, but for those hesitant, I think it makes a good point.

Top Bottom